Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Off Course is back this week with a fantastic show. Hosted by Dan Edwards, each Friday he gives you a deep look into the world of golf and equipment in a way unlike any other podcast has done before. Today Equipment Staff Writer James Miles joins the conversation to talk about gearing up for the fun of fall golf in certain parts of the country.

It wouldn’t be Off Course without some tangents, but Dan and James break down alignment and why it’s important and talk playing golf in the fall. This show has a lot going on and is one you will not want to miss as James Miles goes Off Course.

Episode 125 is here and Dan and James discuss the following topics.

Gearing Up for the Fall
Alignment in Golf
Outdoor vs Indoor practicing
Looking forward to Ballyhac
And so much more

You can listen to the show right here, Apple Podcasts or of anywhere you do your listening and downloading from. Search for the Hackers Paradise and make sure to subscribe so you never miss an episode. After listening, come back over and drop us a note below on what you agree and/or disagree with from the episode.

Untitled-design-1-1024x692.png

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
SoundCloud is down currently, so the podcast might be delayed in showing up for a bit.
It should be hitting other podcast apps very shortly though, such as Apple Podcasts, etc.

Looking forward to this one. The ballyhack chat should be good and man is fall enjoyable.

SoundCloud is down currently, so the podcast might be delayed in showing up for a bit.
It should be hitting other podcast apps very shortly though, such as Apple Podcasts, etc.

SC seems ok on my end.

Where does Cal get his atheltic ability from? Surely it must be your good lady @Canadan :ROFLMAO:

I’ve done a lot of reading on the sim/LM topic lately and it seems to me that photo-based units are the more consistent option indoors.

My son has some serious challenges with alignment :beat-up: We are working on it, but I regularly ask “watcha aiming at kiddo?” He hates it :LOL:

@Canadan I actually downloaded this on my IPhone. It’s the first podcast I’ve ever downloaded. I’ll give it a listen later today.

I’ve done a lot of reading on the sim/LM topic lately and it seems to me that photo-based units are the more consistent option indoors.

My son has some serious challenges with alignment :beat-up: We are working on it, but I regularly ask “watcha aiming at kiddo?” He hates it :LOL:
In practice I’ll just from behind while they’re addressing the ball say things like “yeah, I like that tree over there too, it’s a nice tree” and they just grumble at me. Haha

In practice I’ll just from behind while they’re addressing the ball say things like “yeah, I like that tree over there too, it’s a nice tree” and they just grumble at me. Haha

If I say something, he adjusts and then makes a bad shot, it’s my fault for interfering. If I don’t mention it and he hits a beautiful shot straight into the sh*t, well that’s my fault too :LOL:

I almost always use sticks on the range. I feel like alignment is one thing I’m pretty ok at. However, I very much aim in different directions depending on what’s going on with my swing. If I’m aimed WAY right it’s usually for a reason.

If I say something, he adjusts and then makes a bad shot, it’s my fault for interfering. If I don’t mention it and he hits a beautiful shot straight into the sh*t, well that’s my fault too :LOL:

I almost always use sticks on the range. I feel like alignment is one thing I’m pretty ok at. However, I very much aim in different directions depending on what’s going on with my swing. If I’m aimed WAY right it’s usually for a reason.
I’ve recently reverted to **** aim, body at target and once it reaches-ingrains it’s a nightmare.

If the course isn’t too crowded, make him use the alignment sticks at least on the tee. He will hate it at first, until it corrects the way he’s seeing the layout of the course from the tee.

Y'know I was kind of thinking the bulk of the show would be about favorite layers to wear, enjoying the foliage changes, what color ball do you play/do you change balls, etc. based on the title. I was looking forward to that! :ROFLMAO:

We had 3 sims a few years back, now we have one and it's almost always booked solid. Haven't been there in a while to be honest because hitting off of mats scares me with my elbow issues.

I 100% get the whole aim issue - I suffer from it too, as does my son. He tends to aim way right then hook the ball all the way left when things get bad. But heaven forbid his dad make any recommendations or give some advice...

Can’t wait to listen.
I’m excited to play fall golf. Ready to wear pants.

Enjoyed the listen @Canadan and @Jman. Alignment is something I have been trying concentrate on recently as I don't have any confidence I am aimed the right way over the ball. I do have a routine that I use, but it's not there yet. Been using alignment sticks some but need to do it more. As an avid sim golfer I avoid reacting to the ball direction on the screen and focus on my path and side soon as indicators of a good strike or not.

so much to unpack here...

Alignment and setup.. ugh... I know for a fact I am always slightly open to the target somewhat intentionally. I think driving ranges are the issue here. I think they create weird visuals and alignment and setup falls apart.

so much to unpack here...

Alignment and setup.. ugh... I know for a fact I am always slightly open to the target somewhat intentionally. I think driving ranges are the issue here. I think they create weird visuals and alignment and setup falls apart.

In some cases, I see this and it drives me crazy. The hitting area on range that is closest to me sits at maybe a 10 degree angle to the target area. It is impossible to know if you’re online without really careful use if alignment sticks. Pretty lucky that my home range is decent, though you still have the issues created by greens on different sides of the range.

In some cases, I see this and it drives me crazy. The hitting area on range that is closest to me sits at maybe a 10 degree angle to the target area. It is impossible to know if you’re online without really careful use if alignment sticks. Pretty lucky that my home range is decent, though you still have the issues created by greens on different sides of the range.

The other reason is if you are right handed to are typically right eye dominant. So your body naturally wants to turn open so you can see.

Golf is a stupid game. Lol!!

oh no. I forgot to start this up on the drive this morning. :(

The other reason is if you are right handed to are typically right eye dominant. So your body naturally wants to turn open so you can see.

Golf is a stupid game. Lol!!
interesting. I am left eye dominant and typically deal with closed alignment.

I am left eye dominant. One of the reason I chose to swing righty. That an a wider selection of golf clubs.
I agree that using the first hole to sort things out is a good idea. The repetition will eventually sink in.

I hit foam balls across my yard. It helps my game to see the ball go where I aimed it. I'm really good at hitting trees. :ROFLMAO:
On the range I'd lose the ball in the sea of golf balls on the ground.

interesting. I am left eye dominant and typically deal with closed alignment.

Not to pick on Vosh as he is a stick! but I found this interesting and timely.. The camera angle could be creating a bit of an allusion but to illustrate a point. lol.

1663336893771.png

Back