Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
While there has been much anticipation and discussion surrounding just when we would finally be able to discuss the new JPX iron lineup from Mizuno, fret no more, the time is finally here.

Continue reading...

Interested in the set wedges for the HM series of irons. No information on the US site that I saw and the Japan site was a little confusing. Is the set wedge the same for the HM, HMP, and HMHL? The Japan site appears to show that the HM and HMP share a common GW, SW and the HMHL has its own GW, SW that look like the rest of the HMHL irons.....

Great write-up as usual @Jman! I loved the 921 Hot Metal line 2 years ago when I hit them and the improvements in this line sound LEGIT.

I will be hitting the HL Version for sure - Built for Senior Golfer like myself as my 7i club head speed is under 75.
I didn't do to bad when I test the 225 and the HL looks be a more forgiving version of that.

Last edited:
  • Staff
Interested in the set wedges for the HM series of irons. No information on the US site that I saw and the Japan site was a little confusing. Is the set wedge the same for the HM, HMP, and HMHL? The Japan site appears to show that the HM and HMP share a common GW, SW and the HMHL has its own GW, SW that look like the rest of the HMHL irons.....
Yes, HM/HMP share a set G/S/L, HL offers its own G/S

6668ABB2-96BB-41A2-A0F9-B6A244FB9DA4.jpegEC2C73C2-D282-4877-8B9C-7912FB6C0959.jpeg

Great article @Jman!

I find this statement interesting: "there is an overall tendency of golfers to put more shaft lean on than ever." What do you think that's attributed to?

Great article @Jman!

I find this statement interesting: "there is an overall tendency of golfers to put more shaft lean on than ever." What do you think that's attributed to?
Imo, it’s just something that makes amateurs think it’ll be easier to get down and through the ball, not understanding what it does to bounce and loft. They just hit it more solid, despite giving up performance.

Bout time... ;):)

Dang embargo’s and NDA’s! 😉
Random non-club question: Is there a standard time for info release or is it just date?

Random non-club question: Is there a standard time for info release or is it just date?
Depends on the company. Some have times and dates, others just dates. We have spoken on this on WGP before and times were used so that the youtubers overseas didn't just beat the clock by a day over the largest market.

Depends on the company. Some have times and dates, others just dates. We have spoken on this on WGP before and times were used so that the youtubers overseas didn't just beat the clock by a day over the largest market.
I roughly remember this being talked about... just see random leaks from certain places that I've came to avoid.

Woohoo! More new clubs is fun! Good info on the lineup and changes. Lefties are going to be very happy this year.

I think it's cool how they're always pushing things a little bit and things gradually make their way into the more players clubs. Their feel tech is pretty unique to them, too. Love that it's always on their minds and the ways that they try to achieve it. The V Chassis stuff is really interesting.

The Hot Metals hit the floor really early here and I spent some time with the 923 HMP.

Really impressive.

Excited to hear about the Victory guys experience with them and what their choices were and why!

Last edited:
Update:
6i Numbers
7i numbers
8i numbers
9i numbers
PW numbers

I was fortunate enough to be a part of the Victory Cup with Mizuno THP experience. As many of you know at that experience I was given a set of irons and wedges. I picked out JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro’s (Recoil 95 shafts) as the irons I would receive as part of the experience. I’ve been waiting to talk about these beauties for a little over a week but it seems like a year! I have so much to say.

First, let me paint a little bit of a picture. I had been away from the game for nearly 20 years and just recently returned to playing this past July. Prior to the HMP’s I had been playing Sub 70 699 pro’s. A fairly basic hollow body design, which like @JB will point out, has no real tech or R&D behind them. They were fine and cheap for someone trying to determine if they wanted to dive back into this addiction of golf (I do).

I won a Golden Ticket here on THP at the beginning of the year. For those unaware this allowed me to select my own THP experience to be a part of, truly mind blowing stuff. I knew as soon as the first hints were dropped that I wanted in this Mizuno experience. Previous to now I had never hit a Mizuno iron. I’ve always heard wonderful things about them but had yet to experience it myself.

The first time I made contact with a Mizuno iron was on the range at TPC Sawgrass. Pretty nice initiation huh? The first club I hit was the 8i 923 Hot Metal Pro. As soon as I made contact I realized what everyone says is true “Nothing feels like a Mizuno”. I’ll never forget the buttery feeling and sound of that first hit. Luckily for me I hit a pretty good shot and the memory isn’t sullied.

I figure it would be fitting to kick off my feedback of these clubs with a quick look at what this 8i can do. I went to a local golf store before work today and begged an employee to give me 10 minutes on their trackman to get some numbers. I didn’t have long before work but I was able to put a few swings on my old 8i and the new 923 Hot Metal Pro 8 iron. Because the 923 line is #ENGINEEREDFORCUSTOM I was able to order the HMP’s 1º weak. That makes the the old 8i 35° and new 34º loft. Both are sporting some UST goodness, DART 90 in the old, Recoil 95 in the new. The results of the numbers are pretty great.

IMG_5635.jpeg

IMG_5632.jpeg

I’m peeved that all of the data wasn’t captured on the old set but I’m confident that both swings were pretty consistent. The thing that jumps out to me is the ball speed increase on HMP from a swing that was just a little slower. I’m not an expert on all the numbers but based on ball flight and distance I’m very happy with how the HMP performed in this very quick test. The Hot Metal Pro’s are absolute rocket launchers and I’m going to have to relearn all my distances (a good problem to have).

Due to the lack of time I had today this is all I have to share right now. I’m going to skipping my Monday round and instead be renting some SIM time somewhere to go through the whole bag. I need to take some time to understand what I can do with these clubs. I’ve tried with guesswork on the course but I am a data nerd and need to have the cold hard facts in front of me.

I’ll be doing video/photos at the SIM tomorrow and until it gets to cold to be on a course. I will be sharing all of that stuff here in this thread over the next few months. If there are certain things you would like a mid handicapper (8.9) like myself to test out either in the SIM or on course please let me know. I’m here to serve in this thread. If I’m not giving the info you are looking for please tell me and I’ll make it happen.

You are going to want to keep an eye on this thread. Add it to your watch list, bookmark it, do whatever you have to do to make sure not to miss it. This is an iron release you are going to want to pay attention to. For sure.

Last edited:
My goodness what a gorgeous lineup from top to bottom. While I'm not exactly a slow swinger, I do struggle with lower launch so those HL irons would definitely be my choice if I was looking for a new set.

Great write-up @Jman! I'm really looking forward to hitting these again. I got to hit them a little last weekend and the HL really impressed me. I don't know what category I fall into swing speed wise, but I know I have a pretty steep angle of attack and the HL was just so easy to launch high and gave me better numbers than the HM. I'm going to take my 7-iron to compare and see how they perform and hopefully go ahead put in an order.

Great write up! I guess my fitter was spot on about the 2023 release of the Tour and Forged models. Not sure I can wait that long. I hope testers are able to compare the Tours to the MP 223. These models look very similar and would likely appeal to the same player - ME.

More waiting…

Will Mizuno be offering combo sets with the JPX923 FliHi hybrids this year?

Welcome to the JPX fam Hot Metal HL!

So many options(a good thing)...for me I'm always kind of stuck here between Hot Metal, Hot Metal Pro, and JPX Forged. Once did a combo of the HM and Forged(there was no pro then), but constantly look at the HM Pro when perusing irons.

Welcome to the JPX fam Hot Metal HL!

So many options(a good thing)...for me I'm always kind of stuck here between Hot Metal, Hot Metal Pro, and JPX Forged. Once did a combo of the HM and Forged(there was no pro then), but constantly look at the HM Pro when perusing irons.
The Hot Metal Pro will be one sleeper set of irons this year. Tremendous performance packed into a solid looking frame.

Back