The Liv Golf Rumor and News Thread

Adapted and tradition are not mutually exclusive. One can adapt and still honor the tradition of the game.
Players leaving a tour did so with the understanding that they most likely would not be qualifying for the majors based on points in the immediate future.

But if the players don't qualify based on points then it wouldn't be a big deal, that was a known possiblity for players leaving. The Majors completely changing their qualification criteria and removing players who would otherwise qualify is. I just don't see the need to change the current qualifications for majors and feel like it would take away from them some if that is what happens.

Adapted and tradition are not mutually exclusive. One can adapt and still honor the tradition of the game.
Players leaving a tour did so with the understanding that they most likely would not be qualifying for the majors based on points in the immediate future.
I can certainly understand not qualifying for the Majors based on OWGR points. They made the choice, they have to live with it. However, when it comes to the Masters or exemptions in the Opens based on having won those tournaments, I believe they should be allowed to play. If a member of any other tour were to win one of those events the next time they were held, would they be excluded because they were not a member of the PGAT?

I am hoping Augusta National, USGA and the R&A don’t get involved with the pettiness that is taking a side. Not convinced they really even need too. Simply say, we have had our qualifications and guidelines in place for years, we ain’t changing them, deal with it. Taking a side only furthers the divide.

The guys who chose to go to LIV are the same guys they were when playing DP, Asian and PGA tours. Not that I am a big fan of all of them, but I refuse to alienate any of them because of where they work.

But if the players don't qualify based on points then it wouldn't be a big deal, that was a known possiblity for players leaving. The Majors completely changing their qualification criteria and removing players who would otherwise qualify is. I just don't see the need to change the current qualifications for majors and feel like it would take away from them some if that is what happens.

Exactly, well stated👍

The problem I have with banning past champions, is that if they had just given up golf and weren't playing golf at all, they'd still be welcomed back every year. Now ban them because they're playing their golf somewhere else? What if DJ didn't retire or go to LIV, but just joined a local muni and played in the Sunday morning points game and waited for the Masters every year? That would be ok.

The problem I have with banning past champions, is that if they had just given up golf and weren't playing golf at all, they'd still be welcomed back every year. Now ban them because they're playing their golf somewhere else? What if DJ didn't retire or go to LIV, but just joined a local muni and played in the Sunday morning points game and waited for the Masters every year? That would be ok.
I agree with this. Yet at the same time, neither of those other scenarios would be done at the expense of the Masters largest partner, which is the PGA Tour (currently).

I agree with this. Yet at the same time, neither of those other scenarios would be done at the expense of the Masters largest partner, which is the PGA Tour (currently).
Which goes back to my oldest point: PGAT would have no problem with LIV if they paid less(or at least not enough to draw the biggest talent).

Follow up: Do you think the PGAT needs the Masters more than the Masters needs the PGAT, or the other way around?

Which goes back to my oldest point: PGAT would have no problem with LIV if they paid less(or at least not enough to draw the biggest talent).

Follow up: Do you think the PGAT needs the Masters more than the Masters needs the PGAT, or the other way around?
Hmmmm. That is a really good question.
On one hand neither need each other. On the other hand, both need each other.
The Masters is the biggest draw in golf and its not close. The Masters to be the draw that it is does need star power and that is what the PGA Tour brings.

Hmmmm. That is a really good question.
On one hand neither need each other. On the other hand, both need each other.
The Masters is the biggest draw in golf and its not close. The Masters to be the draw that it is does need star power and that is what the PGA Tour brings.
It may just be the luster we all see when April rolls around, but I feel like if Augusta put the Masters on opposite a PGAT event and didn't offer FedEx Cup points, the players would still show. Like the story when CBS wanted to make changes to the coverage and ANGC supposedly said they just wouldn't televise it at all, and CBS relented. If the PGAT wanted to do something ANGC didn't agree with, they could still pull off a tournament of the same caliber. I've been wrong once before, though.

To bring this back around to the topic at hand, if LIV players are banned from Augusta, does LIV dare hold an event the same week?

It may just be the luster we all see when April rolls around, but I feel like if Augusta put the Masters on opposite a PGAT event and didn't offer FedEx Cup points, the players would still show. Like the story when CBS wanted to make changes to the coverage and ANGC supposedly said they just wouldn't televise it at all, and CBS relented. If the PGAT wanted to do something ANGC didn't agree with, they could still pull off a tournament of the same caliber. I've been wrong once before, though.
They probably would. Not sure long term, but definitely short term. But I could say the same about the Players Championship, etc. If the Masters went away, the best in the world still would show up at the Players.

What if Augusta said top 2 LIV players get an invite or something along those lines?

Heads would explode.

My gut feeling is whatever Augusta does, golf does.

Not sure I get what you are saying. If DJ retired, played muni golf or played liv, he would no longer be part of the tour. In all scenarios they lose him as a competitor and marketing partner. Seems like all three can be considered or viewed as “at the expense” of the tour, if that’s how we are going to word it.

Not sure I get what you are saying. If DJ retired, played muni golf or played liv, he would no longer be part of the tour. In all scenarios they lose him as a competitor and marketing partner. Seems like all three can be considered or viewed as “at the expense” of the tour, if that’s how we are going to word it.
If he retires or just starts playing leisurely rounds of golf, he's not playing for an organization competing against the PGAT. In any case, I believe as a past champion, he should still be able to play Augusta for as long as he wants, just like Ian Woosnam.

What if Augusta said top 2 LIV players get an invite or something along those lines?

Heads would explode.

This would make way more sense than banning them all. The tour and some players would likely complain, but they would participate just like they did at Wentworth and other DP tour events.

The sooner people accept the fact that the tour no longer has all the top talent the better.

Then again, maybe GN will choke on Augusta twice. Wouldn’t hurt my feelings, he’s a horses ass.

0AB5A6CF-4F81-4F5A-A237-25B7B26A7AD4.jpeg

If he retires or just starts playing leisurely rounds of golf, he's not playing for an organization competing against the PGAT. In any case, I believe as a past champion, he should still be able to play Augusta for as long as he wants, just like Ian Woosnam.

I get that, but the DP and Asian tours are also competitors of the PGA tour. Do we consider the guys playing those tours to be doing so “at the expense of the pga tour”, I certainly never have. The Masters doesn’t prohibit those guys from qualifying.

I 100% agree, past champions should still be allowed to play the Masters, in accordance with current policy. IMO their qualifications, if changed at all, would be better served if they add a way for top LIV player or two to get there.

I get that, but the DP and Asian tours are also competitors of the PGA tour. Do we consider the guys playing those tours to be doing so “at the expense of the pga tour”, I certainly never have.
The DP is a competitor? They are partners now including a joint venture.

I get that, but the DP and Asian tours are also competitors of the PGA tour. Do we consider the guys playing those tours to be doing so “at the expense of the pga tour”, I certainly never have. The Masters doesn’t prohibit those guys from qualifying.

I 100% agree, past champions should still be allowed to play the Masters, in accordance with current policy. IMO their qualifications, if changed at all, would be better served if they add a way for top LIV player or two to get there.
DP World Tour is essentially PGA Tour feeder.

Starting in 2023 the leading ten players on the end of season DP World Tour Rankings [in addition to those already exempt] will earn PGA TOUR cards for the following season.

I just can't excited for these events. I watched the replay of the playoff and that is it in the last 2.

None of the people are even remotely interesting.

I just can't excited for these events. I watched the replay of the playoff and that is it in the last 2.

None of the people are even remotely interesting.
You don't think a PGA Tour leaderboard of DJ, Bryson, Brooks, etc would be interesting? I tend to think based on PIP that people are/were super interested in these guys. Or better said, the PGA Tour thought they were.

There's another scenario.....What if The Masters let LIV players enter their tournament and the PGAtour boycott? I'm sure the tournament would go on, but would people watch?

You don't think a PGA Tour leaderboard of DJ, Bryson, Brooks, etc would be interesting? I tend to think based on PIP that people are/were super interested in these guys. Or better said, the PGA Tour thought they were.

I must be in the slim minority then. I did tune in to see the playoff after it happened when DJ won. He is bigger draw for me than Bryson and Brooks.

Back