Anyone have Recoil 95's in their current irons? I am very intrigued by these. Do they really feel like steel with the benefit of less harsh feel at impact? I am almost ready to do something crazy and order the HMP's with Recoil 95 shafts site unseen/ unhit / untried.

Yeah, they are getting up in the air so I'm good there. 6i and 7i gapping appears to be backwards but that's most likely due to just being warmed up. We'll see. I wish I would have went to a Trackman range yesterday for better data. I feel like I'd have a better idea of variances in strike swing to swing and maybe make more sense of everything. Plus I just like data overload. :ROFLMAO:

Security blanket ball is PV1 and with the new irons variable I just really wanted to go back to it from TP5x I've been playing. Hopefully getting back into an extremely comfortable ball for me will help establish more of a baseline, idk. Maybe I'll get a sleeve or two of pv1x and mess around since its the spinner one? I really just need to do a ball fitting at some point, since I've never done one, and actually find out what ball I 'should' be playing.
I don't think you're likely to see much separation in spin between V1 and 5x. I used to swap them, and for me, on irons spin is similar. It's a middle road ball too. They just have a little different flight. Even with the new V1, it has a flatter flight than most. Doesn't fly as high.

I kind of love that you're fully in the weeds now because of all this new JPX awesomeness. Welcome to the party.

(that was quickest one I could find with anyone enjoying weeds that was family appropriate lol)

I don't think you're likely to see much separation in spin between V1 and 5x. I used to swap them, and for me, on irons spin is similar. It's a middle road ball too. They just have a little different flight. Even with the new V1, it has a flatter flight than most. Doesn't fly as high.

I kind of love that you're fully in the weeds now because of all this new JPX awesomeness. Welcome to the party.

(that was quickest one I could find with anyone enjoying weeds that was family appropriate lol)

Yea, your probably right about the V1 but it'll feel good to be in something familiar while I dial in the new irons.
And yes, I'm fully in the weeds now but I totally expected this. I know I've mentioned before that next year is the year I go full 'lunatic fringe'. I'm just getting an early start. :ROFLMAO:

(yeah, this is a tough one lol)

May be a dumb question but do the fitters have access to the new forged model for fittings so they can be ordered when the time comes?

I’ve been planning on getting a fitting in the fall while my swing is in a good place and suspect the forged will be the one (even if it isn’t I’d like to know). I just don’t understand the late winter releases for all these golf companies, I wouldn’t want to go in for a fitting after not playing for months.

Last edited:
Went to the PGA SS today and spent some time hitting the HMP, HM, and HM HL. Numbers were much closer this go round and I was able to compare to my 921 HM 7 iron. I'll put my thoughts below. These are from notes I made after we got back to the truck. We looked at the range for each club and tried to eliminate the outliers where I completely mishit something or tried to go full Bryson on it. Honestly, everything was pretty close. I should've gotten pics of the data, but was talking to the guys there about the irons and forgot. :rolleyes:

921 Hot Metal 7 iron with stock Nippon 950 shaft (Current gamer)

Carry: 158-170 yards
Backspin: 3,500-3,900 rpms
Launch Angle: 11-13

I love my current irons, but the steel shaft is killing my hands. I ALMOST pulled the trigger on re-shafting these, but heard the 923s were coming out and decided to wait and see what Mizuno offered. The 921 HM feels great and I feel pretty confident most days with my accuracy. My only complaint would be that I'm not getting a lot of height on approaches and it can sometimes lead to a bit more rollout that I want. It hasn't been a huge issue, but I wouldn't mind a little more height and spin.

923 Hot Metal Pro 7 iron with Recoil 95 F4

Carry: 152-170 yards
Backspin: 3,500-4,100 rpms
Launch Angle: 11-14

I 100% understand the love for these irons. Little slimmer look and it just goes! I hit the first few dead straight down the center and the guy working there laughed and said I just needed to learn to hit it straighter. :LOL: It was easy to hit and distance was pretty consistent, but I could tell it was a little less forgiving.Taking out the extremes, I saw more of a drop in carry on mishits than my current irons. Not a terrible drop, like the 221 I mishit the other day, but I could tell there's a little less forgiveness there. If I was more consistent, I would be looking hard at these. As it stands, I need more forgiveness, but I fully expect to see a lot of 923 HMP's on this forum after people go and hit them.

923 Hot Metal 7 iron with Recoil 95 F4

Carry: 162-172 yards
Backspin: 3,400-4,100 rpms

This was really close to the HMP, but seemed to have a little more pop. Launch angle about the same as my current irons and distance was right in line as well. I don't always feel like the most consistent golfer, but I had a pretty repeatable swing today. Even the guys there commented that I wasn't deviating too much between the different iron heads. The only really noticeable difference with this one, other than it being a little more forgiving and a little hotter, was that I had a little more trouble keeping this one from fading. No idea why, but I hit a few more right with this one than the others. Nothing crazy, like a full slice or anything, but enough to easily miss a green. Still, I feel like I could take these to the course without missing a beat and probably pick up a few yards over my current 921s.

923 Hot Metal HL 7 iron with Recoil 95 F4

Carry: 163-174 yards
Backspin: 4,000-4,800
Launch Angle: 13-16

After the first time I hit these, I expected a bigger swing in performance, but today it ended up being much closer than I thought. It was also a little tougher to judge, since the first several I hit were with a 2up head that they put on by mistake. In the end, I was able to eek out a little more carry with these, but total distance was less and that should be a good thing for holding greens. Spin was up, as was launch angle. Honestly though, it was pretty close to the HM and HMP in performance and there was a lot of overlap in the stats. Also, I may be weird in this regard, but I actually feel like the HM HL feels better. Not sure why or how, but it just felt GREAT with the Recoil 95. Dispersion was also a little better, mostly due to fewer big misses left or right, but I also hit quite a few right down the middle. I feel like the HL has a lot of potential and it does launch higher and you aren't sacrificing distance to get that. I'll be really curious to see what others observe when they go hit these against the Hot Metal and Hot Metal Pro.

Again, these are the numbers that I remember talking about, as far as ranges go when we were comparing and obviously spin and launch angle are approximations, just to give an idea of the similarities and differences.

Did I order a set?

Not just yet, but not because I didn't make a decision. In the end, the numbers were marginally better with the HL and, as weird as it might make me, I liked the feel of the HL better. So I'm going to take a shot with the HL with Recoil 95s and see how it goes. The reason I am waiting, is because the guys at PGA SS let me know that next Saturday, 10/1, they will offer a 25% bonus on trade ins. That'll give me an extra $100+ towards the new irons, so I'll be heading back next Saturday to trade in my 921s and place an order for the 923 Hot Metal HL 5-PW.

Anyone have Recoil 95's in their current irons? I am very intrigued by these. Do they really feel like steel with the benefit of less harsh feel at impact? I am almost ready to do something crazy and order the HMP's with Recoil 95 shafts site unseen/ unhit / untried.

i do, though not in the 923 line. feel like steel? not to me. other graphite options approximate that feel better. but i really enjoy the recoil feel. smooth power.

I have Recoil 95 F3 in the HMP’s. My previous irons used to have KBS Tour 90s in them. I don’t think the recoils feel anything like them and I’m grateful for that. I’m really enjoying the dampening of impact the recoils provide. They also feel smoother to swing and I can feel them load better. I’m a tempo and feel player so all of the things I mentioned are important to me. I’m never going back to steel now.

Woohoo! More new clubs is fun! Good info on the lineup and changes. Lefties are going to be very happy this year.

I think it's cool how they're always pushing things a little bit and things gradually make their way into the more players clubs. Their feel tech is pretty unique to them, too. Love that it's always on their minds and the ways that they try to achieve it. The V Chassis stuff is really interesting.

The Hot Metals hit the floor really early here and I spent some time with the 923 HMP.

Really impressive.

Excited to hear about the Victory guys experience with them and what their choices were and why!

Sounded great! Thanks for doing the video!

This is, I think, the 3rd release of those? Just seems like that part of the line has needed time to grow and grab attention. I feel like this release could be the one that does exactly what you say.
921 version of HMP were awesome…. I will…Definitely not be sleeping on 923 version

May be a dumb question but do the fitters have access to the new forged model for fittings so they can be ordered when the time comes?
In the US, they do not.

Curious how are you finding your gapping between PW and 48°. That should be only a 4° stock difference the PW is 44°.

What I’m finding is the PW is much longer than the t22. I think due to the tech.

I'll know more when I'm able to get out. 2 jobs 5 days a week kills my golf time.

I also have the 95's. I've been playing graphite for the past 8 years. Recoil 680 F4, then Catalyst 80 6.0 and now the 95's. IMO, they feel nothing like steel, they're pretty smooth and not harsh at all.

Went to the PGA SS today and spent some time hitting the HMP, HM, and HM HL. Numbers were much closer this go round and I was able to compare to my 921 HM 7 iron. I'll put my thoughts below. These are from notes I made after we got back to the truck. We looked at the range for each club and tried to eliminate the outliers where I completely mishit something or tried to go full Bryson on it. Honestly, everything was pretty close. I should've gotten pics of the data, but was talking to the guys there about the irons and forgot. :rolleyes:

I love my current irons, but the steel shaft is killing my hands. I ALMOST pulled the trigger on re-shafting these, but heard the 923s were coming out and decided to wait and see what Mizuno offered. The 921 HM feels great and I feel pretty confident most days with my accuracy. My only complaint would be that I'm not getting a lot of height on approaches and it can sometimes lead to a bit more rollout that I want. It hasn't been a huge issue, but I wouldn't mind a little more height and spin.

I 100% understand the love for these irons. Little slimmer look and it just goes! I hit the first few dead straight down the center and the guy working there laughed and said I just needed to learn to hit it straighter. :LOL: It was easy to hit and distance was pretty consistent, but I could tell it was a little less forgiving.Taking out the extremes, I saw more of a drop in carry on mishits than my current irons. Not a terrible drop, like the 221 I mishit the other day, but I could tell there's a little less forgiveness there. If I was more consistent, I would be looking hard at these. As it stands, I need more forgiveness, but I fully expect to see a lot of 923 HMP's on this forum after people go and hit them.

This was really close to the HMP, but seemed to have a little more pop. Launch angle about the same as my current irons and distance was right in line as well. I don't always feel like the most consistent golfer, but I had a pretty repeatable swing today. Even the guys there commented that I wasn't deviating too much between the different iron heads. The only really noticeable difference with this one, other than it being a little more forgiving and a little hotter, was that I had a little more trouble keeping this one from fading. No idea why, but I hit a few more right with this one than the others. Nothing crazy, like a full slice or anything, but enough to easily miss a green. Still, I feel like I could take these to the course without missing a beat and probably pick up a few yards over my current 921s.

After the first time I hit these, I expected a bigger swing in performance, but today it ended up being much closer than I thought. It was also a little tougher to judge, since the first several I hit were with a 2up head that they put on by mistake. In the end, I was able to eek out a little more carry with these, but total distance was less and that should be a good thing for holding greens. Spin was up, as was launch angle. Honestly though, it was pretty close to the HM and HMP in performance and there was a lot of overlap in the stats. Also, I may be weird in this regard, but I actually feel like the HM HL feels better. Not sure why or how, but it just felt GREAT with the Recoil 95. Dispersion was also a little better, mostly due to fewer big misses left or right, but I also hit quite a few right down the middle. I feel like the HL has a lot of potential and it does launch higher and you aren't sacrificing distance to get that. I'll be really curious to see what others observe when they go hit these against the Hot Metal and Hot Metal Pro.

Again, these are the numbers that I remember talking about, as far as ranges go when we were comparing and obviously spin and launch angle are approximations, just to give an idea of the similarities and differences.

Did I order a set?

Not just yet, but not because I didn't make a decision. In the end, the numbers were marginally better with the HL and, as weird as it might make me, I liked the feel of the HL better. So I'm going to take a shot with the HL with Recoil 95s and see how it goes. The reason I am waiting, is because the guys at PGA SS let me know that next Saturday, 10/1, they will offer a 25% bonus on trade ins. That'll give me an extra $100+ towards the new irons, so I'll be heading back next Saturday to trade in my 921s and place an order for the 923 Hot Metal HL 5-PW.
What is your decent angles ? That spin and launch angle seem on the low end and that is with a 7i. If you play a 5 and 6i you’d be in the high 2000’s low 3000’s in spin, no ?

What is your decent angles ? That spin and launch angle seem on the low end and that is with a 7i. If you play a 5 and 6i you’d be in the high 2000’s low 3000’s in spin, no ?

If I'm remembering correctly, descent angle was low 40's, like 41 or 42 on well struck shots. The HL got me in the 44 range. I actually think on course, the numbers will be a little better. I do play a 5 and 6 iron and you're right, there's not enough height or spin to really hold a green in most cases. If I'm hitting an approach with those, I usually plan to land it short and let it run up on the green. I wish I had a driving range close by that tracked data like that, so I could see what my irons were doing across the board.

I have Recoil 95 F3 in the HMP’s. My previous irons used to have KBS Tour 90s in them. I don’t think the recoils feel anything like them and I’m grateful for that. I’m really enjoying the dampening of impact the recoils provide. They also feel smoother to swing and I can feel them load better. I’m a tempo and feel player so all of the things I mentioned are important to me. I’m never going back to steel now.

Based on the data you've been posting, it looks like you're swinging faster than me. Every time I go demo irons with the Recoils, they keep telling me I need the F4. That the F3 would be too soft and it would hurt my dispersion. Seems like it's doing pretty well for you though and looks like you're swinging faster. Are you getting any fliers or noticing any dispersion issues?

Based on the data you've been posting, it looks like you're swinging faster than me. Every time I go demo irons with the Recoils, they keep telling me I need the F4. That the F3 would be too soft and it would hurt my dispersion. Seems like it's doing pretty well for you though and looks like you're swinging faster. Are you getting any fliers or noticing any dispersion issues?
I am actually noticing some dispersion issues when I really get after it. I’m going to be putting the recoil dart 90s in as soon as possible. They have tighter dispersion for me.

Did I order a set?

Really great info, thanks for sharing the data. The numbers seem strange to me though. The HM 7i is over half a club stronger and spins less than the HL, yet they both go the same distance? That would typically tell me your clubhead speed is too low but then you're hitting them 175 yards. There's something missing or off, just not sure what. Either way, I'd take the numbers of the HLs over the others 8 days a week assuming dispersion is good. Not sure if you already mentioned this but how would you compare the 3 size-wise? I like what I've read about the HLs so far but a big chunky head really throws me off. A lot of golf reviewers talk about a thicker top line giving golfers confidence but it does the exact opposite for me.

I am actually noticing some dispersion issues when I really get after it. I’m going to be putting the recoil dart 90s in as soon as possible. They have tighter dispersion for me.

I gotcha. I felt like I was on the edge between the two, but after hitting a bit, I'm always directed towards the F4, so I was just curious. Dispersion was pretty good for me with the F4, so I'm going to stick with that.

I gotcha. I felt like I was on the edge between the two, but after hitting a bit, I'm always directed towards the F4, so I was just curious. Dispersion was pretty good for me with the F4, so I'm going to stick with that.
Yeah that is me as well. I find that often I sit right in between regular and stiff flex. I’m either most comfortable in a regular that feels a bit on the stiff side or a stiff that plays a bit soft.

The Recoil Dart 90s hit that sweet spot of a Regular flex that plays a bit stiff. So when I really go after one I’m not losing a bunch of accuracy and spraying the ball around.

Did I order a set?

I’m not in the market for irons, buuuuut…no loss of distance between Hot Metal HL and Hot Metal, even with the different loft? Color me interested!

Really great info, thanks for sharing the data. The numbers seem strange to me though. The HM 7i is over half a club stronger and spins less than the HL, yet they both go the same distance? That would typically tell me your clubhead speed is too low but then you're hitting them 175 yards. There's something missing or off, just not sure what. Either way, I'd take the numbers of the HLs over the others 8 days a week assuming dispersion is good. Not sure if you already mentioned this but how would you compare the 3 size-wise? I like what I've read about the HLs so far but a big chunky head really throws me off. A lot of golf reviewers talk about a thicker top line giving golfers confidence but it does the exact opposite for me.

Yeah, I had the guy at the PGA SS scratching his head with the numbers lol. Maybe it's hitting off the mat? I feel like I'm getting a little more spin than that on the course, but it's definitely still low. That's why I was looking at the HL, hoping to get a better launch and more spin. Dispersion was good with all three, but I would probably say HL was best. They were all really good in that regard.

In regards to the clubhead size, the HMP is the smallest, then HM, then HM HL. If you compare them side by side, you can tell a difference. The HMP really does look great at address and to me, personally, it looks the best. Slimmer top line, a little thinner sole, and just a little more compact than the others. The HM has a little thicker top and sole, but it's not bad. The HL is definitely a bit thicker, top to bottom and has more offset. I really like the slimmer look of the HMP, but Mizuno does a really good job of hiding the extra bulk on these. The transition from the satin finish to the chrome on the topline makes it look a little thinner than it is. The same goes for the sole. If you look at the sole, it's rounded at the back, so part that interacts with the turf is smaller, if that makes sense. If you think you'll benefit from the higher launch and spin of the HL, I would definitely take a look. You may find that it's a little larger than you like, but you may also be surprised, like I was, at how well Mizuno hides the extra bulk.

Yeah that is me as well. I find that often I sit right in between regular and stiff flex. I’m either most comfortable in a regular that feels a bit on the stiff side or a stiff that plays a bit soft.

The Recoil Dart 90s hit that sweet spot of a Regular flex that plays a bit stiff. So when I really go after one I’m not losing a bunch of accuracy and spraying the ball around.

The Recoil Darts sound like they will be a hit once released. My concern is getting fliers and dispersion with regular flex. Going to stiff flex in steel helped dispersion and mostly stopped the fliers. I can really get after it with the Recoils in F4 and it's stable and dispersion doesn't change much. They did have a Recoil ESX F3 at the PGA SS, but I didn't try it. I hit that in the 921 HM's awhile back and was impressed and how good they felt in those, though. That shaft had a higher launch, but I'm not sure about going to lighter weight. They don't offer that in F4 so that's another concern.

Back