I’m not in the market for irons, buuuuut…no loss of distance between Hot Metal HL and Hot Metal, even with the different loft? Color me interested!

I was expecting to lose some distance with the higher launch, but it's actually what I need. I'm getting similar carry distances between the HM and HM HL, but the HM has more rollout, so total distance was longer. I'm trying to hold more greens from further out, so based on the numbers, the HL should fly higher, land softer, and stop faster. I really hope that translates to the course. If it does, I should be able to go out with my current yardages and hopefully find more GIR.

Have any of you bought irons without getting fitted? If so, how did it work out? Back in the day we had to just buy clubs off the rack and get better with them by getting used to them. Does getting fitted guarantee a good result? I am a bogey golfer and feel that I will pretty much always be a bogey golfer. I have a full time job and am lucky to play twice per week. I am a 10 handicap and don't feel like I will ever be much better than that without investing a lot more time (which I don't have). Do any of you buy clubs off the rack anymore? I really want the JPX923 Hot Metal Pro's but I feel like I would be dumb to "just buy them" without investing time and money into a fitting. Thoughts?

Have any of you bought irons without getting fitted? If so, how did it work out? Back in the day we had to just buy clubs off the rack and get better with them by getting used to them. Does getting fitted guarantee a good result? I am a bogey golfer and feel that I will pretty much always be a bogey golfer. I have a full time job and am lucky to play twice per week. I am a 10 handicap and don't feel like I will ever be much better than that without investing a lot more time (which I don't have). Do any of you buy clubs off the rack anymore? I really want the JPX923 Hot Metal Pro's but I feel like I would be dumb to "just buy them" without investing time and money into a fitting. Thoughts?
If you dont want to pay for a fitting, go to a retail store and try the shaft optimizer from Mizuno if you would like.
Or buy off the rack. If you want them, get them.

While playing today I had absolute confidence every time I had one of these irons in hand. Even on shots I mishit it’s always been completely playable for me so far. The misses aren’t nearly as pronounced as my old set. That makes me feel I can swing free with nothing but the target in mind.

It’s so much easier having a 9 iron into a green from 160 out than a 7 iron. I feel like I’m going to be playing some good golf with these weapons in my hands.

The tech is killer in the HMP.

#17 at Windmill in the cold and rain yesterday. Poor drive had me in the right rough 180 to the middle.

Got a case of the huh's in my swing and hit out on the toe...still 177 pin high.

Screenshot 2022-09-26 at 05-42-36 Rounds - Shot Scope.png

This feedback is ridiculous (in a good way). Really makes me wonder what kind of potential distance I’m leaving on the table at the moment.

@That post - there’s obviously some big differences between your two iron sets. Ball speed is much faster, with the corresponding difference in launch/spin. My question is how much, if any, difference are you seeing in height and landing angle into the green? I’m going to guess it’s pretty similar because ball speeds like that should influence height to pretty large degree.

The tech is killer in the HMP.

#17 at Windmill in the cold and rain yesterday. Poor drive had me in the right rough 180 to the middle.

Got a case of the huh's in my swing and hit out on the toe...still 177 pin high.

View attachment 9123262
I played Windmill Lakes on Friday. Tough track! I managed to stay in the 80's but barely. Those 400+ yard par 4's keep getting longer and longer the older I get. Glad to see the HMP's got you just off the green in regulation.

This feedback is ridiculous (in a good way). Really makes me wonder what kind of potential distance I’m leaving on the table at the moment.

@That post - there’s obviously some big differences between your two iron sets. Ball speed is much faster, with the corresponding difference in launch/spin. My question is how much, if any, difference are you seeing in height and landing angle into the green? I’m going to guess it’s pretty similar because ball speeds like that should influence height to pretty large degree.
Yeah, the difference in feel and on course performance between the two sets couldn’t be wider. As mentioned earlier I’m able to feel much more confident over the ball when I have a JPX iron in my hand. The miss hits aren’t as punishing and they feel incredibly good when struck well.

Based on what I saw yesterday on course I feel like the JPX irons are launching into a slightly higher window but kind leveling off only 10ish feet higher than my old set. I do feel like they are landing a bit softer and I’m definitely holding more greens. Here is a quick comparison of GIR yesterday vs my average (90 rounds with old clubs).
B0DD0F2F-5ECE-4CB5-9F2C-7B34FB93D094.jpeg
It’s a drastic improvement. Maybe a lot of it has to do with being able to use shorter irons firing into greens bc I’m hitting these 923s so far? Whatever it is I can dig it!

I’ve got one more SIM video to drop then I’ll transition into on course ShotScope data. I will play 3 rounds this week in hopes of the ShotScope data kinda ‘settling in’.

I’ll ask again if anyone has some specific things they want to know or see on video? On course or at the range? I was blessed with this incredible opportunity and I’m here to serve this community with whatever I can to get you in these amazing irons 😜

Last edited:

I've never done a full fitting for irons, but I've always tried to at least go hit them on a launch monitor or something to see how they feel and make sure I'm getting results like I would expect. If you decide to just order a set, Budget Golf has a 90 day guarantee. If you get them and don't like them, you can return them and get something else. Edwin Watts and PGA Superstore also have 90 day trial periods like that, if you have any close by.

Has anyone that had Recoil 95 in the 921s tried the ESX in the 923s? Is there such as thing as 'too light'?

Has anyone that had Recoil 95 in the 921s tried the ESX in the 923s? Is there such as thing as 'too light'?

I've hit the reverse of that. I've been demoing the 923s with the Recoil 95 and awhile back I hit the 921s with the Recoil ESX F3. The ESX is lighter and feels lighter, but not in a way that really threw me off. According to the UST website, the F3 is 64g, so it's a good bit lighter than the 95s. Still, it felt really stable and I could make a normal full swing and got pretty good results. Ball flight was higher and I got a little more distance and it felt great. If it was available for the 923s in F4 I would give it a shot against the 95s and see how they compare, since it should give a higher ball flight, which is what I'm after. If you're looking at F3, I would go demo both and see which one provides the best numbers and feel.

Have the 921 HMP with project x lz.
Love them. What realistically should I expect different from the the 923 version.
I worry about the lofts being stronger.

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk

Love them. What realistically should I expect different from the the 923 version.

are the 923 .5* stronger? 1/2 of a degree

Coming from the 2019 P790 the 923 HMP are about 10-15 yards longer club vs club, spin a lot less, and sound 1000X better. The lofts on the 923 HMP are a tad stronger than the 921 HMP but not jacked! I feel you will see some distance gains of course but it should not be drastic.

are the 923 .5* stronger? 1/2 of a degree
The 923 HMP starts to get 1/2 degree stronger at the 7 iron, 1 degree at 8 iron, 1.5 degrees at 9 iron, and PW vs the 921 HMP

A lot of stores will do "free fittings" they will have the fitting cart and let you try some iron shafts and head combos. We have a couple of practice facilities and the PGA Superstore here that will do that. It isn't a true fitting but it will give you an idea of dispersion, distance, spin, and so on. I used the PGA SS data to buy my irons.

A lot of stores will do "free fittings" they will have the fitting cart and let you try some iron shafts and head combos.
I know my LGS does that for off-the-rack stuff. I don't know if you can do that with stuff off the fitting cart. I may ask, if I think about it, but, for the cost of a full set of irons, I'd pay the additional 10% or so it would incur and get fitted properly.

I know my LGS does that for off-the-rack stuff. I don't know if you can do that with stuff off the fitting cart. I may ask, if I think about it, but, for the cost of a full set of irons, I'd pay the additional 10% or so it would incur and get fitted properly.
The Mizuno Shaft Optimizer is free at stores if available and gives someone access to a fitting cart info.

I have the Recoil 680's in my Maltby DBM's and prefer the 95's in the 923's.

The Mizuno Shaft Optimizer is free at stores if available and gives someone access to a fitting cart info.
Understood, but I expect I'll try different irons. (Though, right now, my short list is pretty short.)

Understood, but I expect I'll try different irons. (Though, right now, my short list is pretty short.)
You can use the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer with any iron.

This will be the last comparison video.
6i has historically been my least consistent iron from my old set. I’m not sure exactly why but I’m just never comfortable over it and end up with very inconsistent strikes. That shows up on the video.

It’s like a switch is flipped when I start swinging the HMP. I’m getting much more consistent ball flight. Dispersion was right but they all went that way.

Because this was the first club I hit I wasn’t putting the same speed of swings as I did later on so 6i yardage was shorter than 7i.

@That post thank you for all the info. This is really good stuff. I was already pondering the previous release of Hot Metals. I will absolutely be trying these out very soon

I’m not in the market for irons, buuuuut…no loss of distance between Hot Metal HL and Hot Metal, even with the different loft? Color me interested!
I hit the HL vs the HM 7i demos today with the same Recoil 460 F3 shaft and on my best shots both carried 143 but the HL had a little more spin which I like and need.
I couldn't figure out how to change the monitor to show descent angle which I was bummed about. I was really surprised though that the normal HM didnt go farther. Then again I need launch and spin so perhaps the HL is just a better fit for me.
Going to do more testing with the HL at our outdoor demo place against my G425 irons.
They did sound and feel very nice for a cast iron.

Back