I hit the HL vs the HM 7i demos today with the same Recoil 460 F3 shaft and on my best shots both carried 143 but the HL had a little more spin which I like and need.
I couldn't figure out how to change the monitor to show descent angle which I was bummed about. I was really surprised though that the normal HM didnt go farther. Then again I need launch and spin so perhaps the HL is just a better fit for me.
Going to do more testing with the HL at our outdoor demo place against my G425 irons.
They did sound and feel very nice for a cast iron.
Since I know that you and I are in the same place with clubs, if I could get 143 with a 7i and more spin, it'll be tough to not be serious about picking up a set of HL's

I really enjoyed your write up on these @Jman !! I have the 919 Hot Metal (my back up set now), currently have the 921 Hot Metal Pros. I would love to be able to upgrade to the 923 Hot Metal, Hot Metal Pro or maybe even the HL set depending on how they perform for me. I dunno if an upgrade will happen or not, but I sure want it to!!

Since I know that you and I are in the same place with clubs, if I could get 143 with a 7i and more spin, it'll be tough to not be serious about picking up a set of HL's
One thing you will notice though compared to your Rogue irons is the offset. I picked up a Rogue Max OS at Galaxy the other day and I didn't think I was that big of an offset noticer but it had way too much for my eye. The HL wasn't too bad at all. I need to look at the specs but I would say about the same if not a little less than my G425 irons.

I hit the HL vs the HM 7i demos today with the same Recoil 460 F3 shaft and on my best shots both carried 143 but the HL had a little more spin which I like and need.
I couldn't figure out how to change the monitor to show descent angle which I was bummed about. I was really surprised though that the normal HM didnt go farther. Then again I need launch and spin so perhaps the HL is just a better fit for me.
Going to do more testing with the HL at our outdoor demo place against my G425 irons.
They did sound and feel very nice for a cast iron.
I will be watching closely: not only is your 7i distance similar to mine, but I’m also gaming G425 irons!

I had Hot Metals in 917 and 919 and I freaking love their Gap Wedge. It's so good.
Good to hear! It’s still kinda early for ShotScope distances but it’s starting to look like I’m going to need one.
7971800E-4628-468C-882D-31D7E353E5FF.jpegedit- changed graphic to include todays round (gained 7y with the 50)

Last edited:
Good to hear! It’s still kinda early for ShotScope distances but it’s starting to look like I’m going to need one.
View attachment 9123369
It's really good. Presents to the ball just like the rest of the set, but performance is kind of between the heat of the Hot Metal and the softness of a traditional milled wedge. Straddles that gap perfectly.

It's really good. Presents to the ball just like the rest of the set, but performance is kind of between the heat of the Hot Metal and the softness of a traditional milled wedge. Straddles that gap perfectly.
Sounds perfect!

Can you bend your 50 to 48 to make it a true GW gapping for the set?
I probably could yes. But it’d be missing the ‘hotness’ of the Nickel Chromoly and that seems to be a game changer with these irons. It would also mean my wedge with a 50° stamped on it wouldn’t be a 50 anymore and that would drive me insane. 🤣

my wedge with a 50° stamped on it wouldn’t be a 50 anymore and that would drive me insane. 🤣

That's the wrong kind of crazy for this game dude.

I have the Recoil 680's in my Maltby DBM's and prefer the 95's in the 923's.

I think I would like 85 grams ok, but 65 grams is a tough mental hurdle.

I am ball bound. I top out at 85 mph with a 7i without a ball and about 77 mph with a ball. I’m hoping Dr Kwon drills cure this.

I could use more distance, but I’m 6’, 200# and in relatively good shape for 50+ and I just feel 95 grams and graphite is giving in enough. I’m already hitting blue / R flex and F3.

If anything, I’m ballooning the ball enough already and losing distance there. I was a Titleist d3/f3 player before to keep spin off. I even tried the tour speed ball as I get all carry and no roll off the Tsi2. It seems to help actually. Going to try the avx next.

Last edited:
Ok, went to my local range tonight.
They have TopTracer.
Bridgestone Range balls.

Warmed up with my Rogue ST Max OS irons:
D5717A32-D3B4-4462-B434-0A13C9A214E4.jpeg
Then hit the 923 HL with DG 300 R flex
felt ok but not getting the distance I wanted.

CBF77B41-C043-48AA-A1BC-06385FFCA710.jpeg
Asked to bring out the Swing Analyzer with the 7i 923HL head.
Took 3 swings and it spits out DG 105R. Not surprised as I have been fitted in that weight of shaft before.
Here are those results:

56988125-EAA4-4464-8470-440629476442.jpeg
Spin and Launch is showing up as I got less roll out than the Rogue.
Had the fitter put in the Modus 105R and the skies opened and the Angels began to sing:
8F06237D-17AA-4758-98B7-95567ED3C33B.jpeg
This shaft just felt so good and love, love 8 yards of roll out. That ball is sticking to a green.

Did go back and hit my Rogue after I warmed up. I got some longer distances, but I actually got more roll out as well.
1B3CC292-188E-4C0D-9003-17C659817888.jpeg

Went back and hit the Modus 105 R after the Rogue:
097056BD-FA84-44A2-A020-0780F04C2F1D.jpeg

Don’t se if I’m serious about my game how I couldn’t order a 6-PW set.
Launch and Landing angles are all higher with the 923 HL

Shout to @Vosh68. I’m the golfer these are designed for and the Mizuno marketing of these irons are right on.

I probably could yes. But it’d be missing the ‘hotness’ of the Nickel Chromoly and that seems to be a game changer with these irons. It would also mean my wedge with a 50° stamped on it wouldn’t be a 50 anymore and that would drive me insane. 🤣
Hahaha ... I can't even think of a reply, other than ... My Man! 👊

I think I would like 85 grams ok, but 65 grams is a tough mental hurdle.

I am ball bound. I top out at 85 mph with a 7i without a ball and about 77 mph with a ball. I’m hoping Dr Kwon drills cure this.

I could use more distance, but I’m 6’, 200# and in relatively good shape for 50+ and I just feel 95 grams and graphite is giving in enough. I’m already hitting blue / R flex and F3.

If anything, I’m ballooning the ball enough already and losing distance there. I was a Titleist d3/f3 player before to keep spin off. I even tried the tour speed ball as I get all carry and no roll off the Tsi2. It seems to help actually. Going to try the avx next.

In my non professional opinion, sounds like you may need to try an F4 shaft for the ballooning. The F3 could be not quite stiff enough. I'm hitting around 100 for my driver and about 80 with my irons and play an F4.

I've watched a number of YouTube videos with the Mizuno 923 HM HL irons. Went to Golf Galaxy and hit the HL 7 iron with the Recoil ESX 460 F2 senior shaft. I forgot to take a pic of the overall results but the results were impressive. The carry was 10 yards longer than my current Wilson Staff Launch Pad irons and better stopping. I've ordered a set of the Mizuno 923 Hot Metal HL irons with the Recoil ESX 460 F2 shafts, 1/2 inch short and Tour Velvet Plus4 midsize grips.

Looking forward to putting them in play.

Love hearing the positive feedback on the Hl's. Think its a brilliant design idea by Mizuno. I don't think they will benefit only older or slower swingers either. Anyone that hits the ball too low should try them.

Love hearing the positive feedback on the Hl's. Think its a brilliant design idea by Mizuno. I don't think they will benefit only older or slower swingers either. Anyone that hits the ball too low should try them.

100% agree! I don't think I'm a slow swinger, getting around 170 carry with these (maybe I am? I don't know). My trouble is ball flight. I need a little more height and these provide just that without feeling like they are huge or have a ton of offset. To be able to get more height and not lose any distance is amazing to me. I think Mizuno has a solid lineup in the 923s and I'm looking forward to hearing about others experiences, especially with the HL.

On a side note, it looks like my trip to order a set this Saturday may get pushed back. Stupid hurricane.

Last edited:
I've watched a number of YouTube videos with the Mizuno 923 HM HL irons. Went to Golf Galaxy and hit the HL 7 iron with the Recoil ESX 460 F2 senior shaft. I forgot to take a pic of the overall results but the results were impressive. The carry was 10 yards longer than my current Wilson Staff Launch Pad irons and better stopping. I've ordered a set of the Mizuno 923 Hot Metal HL irons with the Recoil ESX 460 F2 shafts, 1/2 inch short and Tour Velvet Plus4 midsize grips.

Looking forward to putting them in play.

Back