Been thinking.....if I pull the trigger on some new HMP's I will need to adjust several of the existing clubs in my bag, most notably, my wedges. The HMP PW is 42.5 degrees. My gap wedge is 50 degrees. That leaves a pretty big gap. I will likely need to buy a 46 degree wedge to fill that gap. On the other end the HMP 6 iron is 25 degrees. My Rogue 5 hybrid is 24 degrees. Those are nearly identical. Do I really need the 6 iron? I can probably get away with just ordering the 7-PW. Did any of you Victory Cup guys come across these issues when you got your loft jacked HMP's?

I went with the T-22 48° as my next wedge. I kind of treat the clubs as the next one up from what they say, so the PW is more a 9 iron etc.

I went with the T-22 48° as my next wedge. I kind of treat the clubs as the next one up from what they say, so the PW is more a 9 iron etc.
What does your gapping between PW and 48° look like? More or less than you would like? About what you expected?

@Iceman!

when I did my G700 fitting years ago I had the same experience with the Modus105R

every shaft was pretty much the same. Put the modus in and boom. More ball speed, more launch, more spin, more distance, better descent angle.

You ordering ?
I had a little epiphany yesterday. Since I bought the Rogue ST MAX OS and put them in play, I've:
1. Won MVP of my Tuesday Night League with the most points
2. Our Team won the Tuesday Night League Championship
3. In my first time competing, I tied for 1st place in our Club Championship in the Senior Division

And here I am thinking of replacing those Irons with another set?
Only here would someone do that....

What does your gapping between PW and 48° look like? More or less than you would like? About what you expected?

I haven't been on a monitor but with the very limited ShotScope data I have, a bit more than I'd like. I need more rounds to confirm.

I’m running into this issue currently my set goes to PW the next wedge in the bag is 50°. It’s leaving a 20-30y gap. I discussed it a little earlier in the thread but I’ll be getting the set GW just as soon as it’s available individually already have a Dart shaft waiting for it.

Personally I think the 5 and 6 irons are probably my favorite clubs in the set. They are incredibly easy for me to hit and hit far. Idk if I’d skip them. I’m probably going to end up ditching 3w all together and just lean on the Fli-hi’s in the top of the bag.

I was not a fan of the 921HMP gap wedge. It was "clunky" around the greens when chipping and I didn't care for the feel on full swings.

I use a 921 Forged gap wedge that I picked up on sale at the local golf shop. Much better.

I was not a fan of the 921HMP gap wedge. It was "clunky" around the greens when chipping and I didn't care for the feel on full swings.

I use a 921 Forged gap wedge that I picked up on sale at the local golf shop. Much better.
Thanks for the feedback! I haven’t swung or laid eyes on the 923 HMP GW except for the pic JB posted in this thread.

I won’t use it for anything other than full swings. The T22s own greenside

Thanks for the feedback! I haven’t swung or laid eyes on the 923 HMP GW except for the pic JB posted in this thread.

I won’t use it for anything other than full swings. The T22s own greenside

Maybe consider the MP225 GW (49*)? I like that one better.

Have any of you bought irons without getting fitted? If so, how did it work out? Back in the day we had to just buy clubs off the rack and get better with them by getting used to them. Does getting fitted guarantee a good result? I am a bogey golfer and feel that I will pretty much always be a bogey golfer. I have a full time job and am lucky to play twice per week. I am a 10 handicap and don't feel like I will ever be much better than that without investing a lot more time (which I don't have). Do any of you buy clubs off the rack anymore? I really want the JPX923 Hot Metal Pro's but I feel like I would be dumb to "just buy them" without investing time and money into a fitting. Thoughts?

You could wait for Windmill Golf Center to offer one of their free fitting days - I bet the Mizuno guys will be there at some point. It's a good way to compare clubs/shafts & see what's best for you

Went to the PGA SS today and spent some time hitting the HMP, HM, and HM HL. Numbers were much closer this go round and I was able to compare to my 921 HM 7 iron. I'll put my thoughts below. These are from notes I made after we got back to the truck. We looked at the range for each club and tried to eliminate the outliers where I completely mishit something or tried to go full Bryson on it. Honestly, everything was pretty close. I should've gotten pics of the data, but was talking to the guys there about the irons and forgot. :rolleyes:

921 Hot Metal 7 iron with stock Nippon 950 shaft (Current gamer)

Carry: 158-170 yards
Backspin: 3,500-3,900 rpms
Launch Angle: 11-13

I love my current irons, but the steel shaft is killing my hands. I ALMOST pulled the trigger on re-shafting these, but heard the 923s were coming out and decided to wait and see what Mizuno offered. The 921 HM feels great and I feel pretty confident most days with my accuracy. My only complaint would be that I'm not getting a lot of height on approaches and it can sometimes lead to a bit more rollout that I want. It hasn't been a huge issue, but I wouldn't mind a little more height and spin.

923 Hot Metal Pro 7 iron with Recoil 95 F4

Carry: 152-170 yards
Backspin: 3,500-4,100 rpms
Launch Angle: 11-14

I 100% understand the love for these irons. Little slimmer look and it just goes! I hit the first few dead straight down the center and the guy working there laughed and said I just needed to learn to hit it straighter. :LOL: It was easy to hit and distance was pretty consistent, but I could tell it was a little less forgiving.Taking out the extremes, I saw more of a drop in carry on mishits than my current irons. Not a terrible drop, like the 221 I mishit the other day, but I could tell there's a little less forgiveness there. If I was more consistent, I would be looking hard at these. As it stands, I need more forgiveness, but I fully expect to see a lot of 923 HMP's on this forum after people go and hit them.

923 Hot Metal 7 iron with Recoil 95 F4

Carry: 162-172 yards
Backspin: 3,400-4,100 rpms
Launch Angle: 11-13

This was really close to the HMP, but seemed to have a little more pop. Launch angle about the same as my current irons and distance was right in line as well. I don't always feel like the most consistent golfer, but I had a pretty repeatable swing today. Even the guys there commented that I wasn't deviating too much between the different iron heads. The only really noticeable difference with this one, other than it being a little more forgiving and a little hotter, was that I had a little more trouble keeping this one from fading. No idea why, but I hit a few more right with this one than the others. Nothing crazy, like a full slice or anything, but enough to easily miss a green. Still, I feel like I could take these to the course without missing a beat and probably pick up a few yards over my current 921s.

923 Hot Metal HL 7 iron with Recoil 95 F4

Carry: 163-174 yards
Backspin: 4,000-4,800
Launch Angle: 13-16

After the first time I hit these, I expected a bigger swing in performance, but today it ended up being much closer than I thought. It was also a little tougher to judge, since the first several I hit were with a 2up head that they put on by mistake. In the end, I was able to eek out a little more carry with these, but total distance was less and that should be a good thing for holding greens. Spin was up, as was launch angle. Honestly though, it was pretty close to the HM and HMP in performance and there was a lot of overlap in the stats. Also, I may be weird in this regard, but I actually feel like the HM HL feels better. Not sure why or how, but it just felt GREAT with the Recoil 95. Dispersion was also a little better, mostly due to fewer big misses left or right, but I also hit quite a few right down the middle. I feel like the HL has a lot of potential and it does launch higher and you aren't sacrificing distance to get that. I'll be really curious to see what others observe when they go hit these against the Hot Metal and Hot Metal Pro.

Again, these are the numbers that I remember talking about, as far as ranges go when we were comparing and obviously spin and launch angle are approximations, just to give an idea of the similarities and differences.

Did I order a set?

Not just yet, but not because I didn't make a decision. In the end, the numbers were marginally better with the HL and, as weird as it might make me, I liked the feel of the HL better. So I'm going to take a shot with the HL with Recoil 95s and see how it goes. The reason I am waiting, is because the guys at PGA SS let me know that next Saturday, 10/1, they will offer a 25% bonus on trade ins. That'll give me an extra $100+ towards the new irons, so I'll be heading back next Saturday to trade in my 921s and place an order for the 923 Hot Metal HL 5-PW.

Thanks for the info. I think you'll like the Recoils - I know I'll never go back to steel shafts.

Based on my own game, I'm betting the HL's are the club that would help me the most. I tend to hit the ball lower & don't hold greens with 5-7i as well as I think I should.

At the very least, I think I'll see if I can pick up a HL 5i and compare it to my HM919 5i.

Thanks for the info. I think you'll like the Recoils - I know I'll never go back to steel shafts.

Based on my own game, I'm betting the HL's are the club that would help me the most. I tend to hit the ball lower & don't hold greens with 5-7i as well as I think I should.

At the very least, I think I'll see if I can pick up a HL 5i and compare it to my HM919 5i.

I'm super excited about the Recoils. They've felt great every time I've hit an iron with them and my dispersion has been really good. I ordered a set of the HL with the Recoil 95's 5-PW yesterday, so now I just have to wait.

If you're hitting it a little low, definitely check out the HL's if you get a chance. They should launch higher and land softer and for me, I didn't lose any distance to get that higher flight. I think the only thing that might hold some people up is that they are slightly larger than the Hot Metal and Hot Metal Pro, though it's really not a huge difference. The performance is there though and I think a lot of people are going to be impressed with the HL. If you do get to try them, let us know how they compare to your 919's.

I had a little epiphany yesterday. Since I bought the Rogue ST MAX OS and put them in play, I've:
1. Won MVP of my Tuesday Night League with the most points
2. Our Team won the Tuesday Night League Championship
3. In my first time competing, I tied for 1st place in our Club Championship in the Senior Division

And here I am thinking of replacing those Irons with another set?
Only here would someone do that....
I get it.
since adding my g425 irons this year it’s helped me shave off 2 strokes (my lowest season avg ever)+9 over par According to shot scope. And I’m thinking about these 🙂

your thoughts on this please: Maybe have no 6 iron. Go HMP PW-7(stock loft is 28.5*), then HL 5(stock loft is 25*). Gives me a little extra shaft length to help with clubhead speed. Weird having no 6 iron, but I think the lofts would work well?????

I get it.
since adding my g425 irons this year it’s helped me shave off 2 strokes (my lowest season avg ever)+9 over par According to shot scope. And I’m thinking about these 🙂
My "Guy" at Club Champion just texted me a photo of their testing heads.
I may have given him my schedule for the next two weeks.

Last edited:
your thoughts on this please: Maybe have no 6 iron. Go HMP PW-7(stock loft is 28.5*), then HL 5(stock loft is 25*). Gives me a little extra shaft length to help with clubhead speed. Weird having no 6 iron, but I think the lofts would work well?????
That is almost exactly what I am thinking about doing but using my 5 Hybrid (Rogue -25 degree) instead of the HL 5 iron. I am definitely thinking that the HMP 7-PW will work nicely. If all goes well I will be hitting all three of the Hot Metal options on Friday in the simulator at GG.

My plan to start posting ShotScope data this week got derailed. The screen on my H4 shattered because I’m a clumsy moron and dropped it in the parking lot then proceeded to step on it as I was trying to pick it up 🥲😭

I’ve got 5.5 rounds with the 923’s on it so I’ll put together some data on it this week but it won’t be as comprehensive as I’d like.

I would try to hit the HMP 5i before making this decision. It’s incredibly easy to hit well and get airborne and it goes far. The 5i is my favorite iron in the set.

This wait is going to be rough. I knew that with trading my current irons I would have to game my old TM Rocketbladez for a bit, but I didn't realize just how spoiled I had gotten with the Mizunos. Spent some time at the range to get reacquainted with the TM's and man, they almost felt harsh by comparison. Gonna be a long wait.

I'm going to hit an HMP later with a V1 just so I can channel my inner @That post and bask in the sound.

A left handed O&S still strikes the ball like Thor's hammer?!?!? :p
Sounds really good...

I really need to remember things are flipped in selfie. I live on course. I don't know anything about this strange indoor world of synthetic grass and no target and a guy shanking one into the pony wall behind me while I was hitting 7 irons, much less how to properly capture it all. :LOL:

Fixed

I really need to remember things are flipped in selfie. I live on course. I don't know anything about this strange indoor world of synthetic grass and no target and a guy shanking one into the pony wall behind me while I was hitting 7 irons, much less how to properly capture it all. :LOL:

Fixed

Gotta love those inbound gunshot blasts to the thin piece of wood separating you from a hosel rocket. Your dedication and bravery is very much appreciated.

I am starting to compile a little ShotScope data. As mentioned before I've only got 6 full rounds with the HMP's. But that'll have to do since I broke it and can't collect more.

HMP vs 699 yardage.png

I'm gaining around 10 yards a club some a little more some a little less. Again there isn't a lot of data by my count less than 10 shots with each HMP. Whereas the 699's have 100's of shots over the course of 90+ rounds. I know yardage is just part of the story, doesn't matter how far it goes if it's not where you want it. I'm happy with the gains though.

It's going to take a while longer to dig through the "Shots plotted" feature to get a good comparison of accuracy/dispersion, etc... I have started that but am nowhere near ready to share that data yet so stay tuned.

I am starting to compile a little ShotScope data. As mentioned before I've only got 6 full rounds with the HMP's. But that'll have to do since I broke it and can't collect more.

View attachment 9125122

I'm gaining around 10 yards a club some a little more some a little less. Again there isn't a lot of data by my count less than 10 shots with each HMP. Whereas the 699's have 100's of shots over the course of 90+ rounds. I know yardage is just part of the story, doesn't matter how far it goes if it's not where you want it. I'm happy with the gains though.

It's going to take a while longer to dig through the "Shots plotted" feature to get a good comparison of accuracy/dispersion, etc... I have started that but am nowhere near ready to share that data yet so stay tuned.
What effect have the gains had in your other stats, and ultimately, your score.

If it's too early to draw a comparison, what do you think the benefits will be? Have holes at your home course been more accessible on approach?

Back