Honma TW757 Hybrids

Anyone gotten any rounds in with the 757 recently?

I played the front 9 twice on Monday due to the air rating the back 9. I was able to use the Honma on the hole 6 par 3 twice and both were pretty good. This is the hole I immediately envisioned taking advantage of when I got my name pulled for this club.

First time around I tugged it a little left and couldn’t get up and down
CC32C698-18FE-4583-BC8D-3FA3D3B51E1C.jpeg
Second time around I was dialed.
CA94E392-372D-4D5F-BEE3-1F5BD69BAF07.jpeg
Stuck it to around 15 foot and had a downhill left to right slider for birdie. Just barely missed it high side for a kick in par.

Got out for 9 tonight. Struck one really well from about 185 out and left it just right of the green. I hit a high fade with this a lot which is interesting. The 2nd shot I duffed. I am resolved to put a CP2 Pro Midsize grip on this this weekend. The stock is fine for grip but the rest of my bag is CP2 Pro Midsize or Tour Velvet Jumbo and this thing is not those. It just feels too thin in hand. Love the club though, plenty of pop and now that I am getting the rhythm with it I am hitting some nice high fades with it. Don’t read too much into the missed green above, our courses greens are tiny so I was only about 15 yards right. Nothing I can’t get home in 3 😂

I will get another round in with this over the weekend.
When my shots go astray (more often than I'd like to admit) into the trees & have to punch out, I used to rely on my 2-iron. It has a nice straight, low loft, face & it was really easy to keep the ball low in order to get out of trouble. I'm having a bit of time adjusting to the hybrid as the club to use for this situation. It seems to get up in the air a lot quicker than I would like from out of the trees. I know, I know ... just don't hit it there to begin with. :cautious: Regardless, I still have some work to do to adjust

I will get another round in with this over the weekend.
When my shots go astray (more often than I'd like to admit) into the trees & have to punch out, I used to rely on my 2-iron. It has a nice straight, low loft, face & it was really easy to keep the ball low in order to get out of trouble. I'm having a bit of time adjusting to the hybrid as the club to use for this situation. It seems to get up in the air a lot quicker than I would like from out of the trees. I know, I know ... just don't hit it there to begin with. :cautious: Regardless, I still have some work to do to adjust

Definitely harder with a hot face and a hybrid’s weighting in my experience. Maybe set up with a really closed face (open stance to compensate)?

Definitely harder with a hot face and a hybrid’s weighting in my experience. Maybe set up with a really closed face (open stance to compensate)?
Yeah it's definitely a work in progress. :unsure:

Did this today. Playing tomorrow, but will hopefully take a few swipes this evening. Never tried this grip, but they had it in Jumbo. It feels really nice. The club also now matches the swing weight feel of the rest of my set better. Excited to get some really good testing in now.

ED5EBB1F-438C-400F-A986-E30FFF5DED40.jpeg

I’ve had my first couple of truly terrible shots with the 757.
Yesterday I just couldn’t get it going with this club.
On #5 I had around 250 left in and I wanted to give myself around 70y with my 56°. I swiped across it barely making contact with the toe and pushed it 50y right OB.

On #6 the 190ish par 3 I topped it so bad I’m sure I hit the ball with the bottom of the club, it bounced 30 foot and splashed in the drink.

I know what caused these bad misses. I tend to let the ball creep too far forward with hybrids. I need them in the middle of my stance to hit them best.

I was able to make that adjustment in todays round and back to hitting it as consistently as I have been. Need to remind myself to perform that check before swinging this club.

Went out tonight to play play some golf. Got to hit the hybrid twice. One was from 215 out on a very long par 4 (450) with a downhill lie to an uphill green. I hit it pretty good it was low and fading a bit. Left it maybe 10 yards short and 15 yards right.

2nd shot I hit with it was 240 out on a par 5. That one I wanted to hit my 7 wood for a comparison as that’s the club it would need to beat for a spot in the bag. Photo of fairway lie below. The next photo is where they both ended up. Crazy they ended up so close together. I hugged that tree line a bit too tightly with both of them. The ball flight was similar too. I hit them both well so that’s telling.

28DBFE96-548A-407C-9DBC-A3662FA2CA76.jpeg6D182901-3D74-4E19-A2DE-6CFF500A068B.jpeg

Got out for 9 holes tonight. I did another head to head from hole 17 at my home course. It’s a 195 yard par 3 where a draw is really the right shot. Tee shot image first, where the Honma ended up second. The 7W was yanked off the planet left. A common miss here when I am trying to hit a draw. Really love hitting this green as its tiny.

033D4082-A496-48C5-AA20-804119E17786.jpeg47B7F944-31B1-46E8-BC25-C539B150B1FD.jpeg

A shot that I absolutely love having in the bag is the low stinger you can hit with a low lofted hybrid. Hit two of those today from the shots shown below. On both of these I poked the ball at least 150 yards down the fairway and got myself in good position to attack the green with my 3rd shot on par 5’s. This is a fun club. Really enjoying having it in the bag.

870B86C8-6215-4D00-BE1D-64DADA68599E.jpegC2AC3C4C-F487-4EE2-9088-4B0C5003AD8E.jpeg

The bag battle between the Honma 757 and Fli-hi 3 will start today if the early rain here allows me to get out.

Plan is to use both on a couple of holes (#5 and 6) in particular. I hope I’m able to get out and post some video of the results.

Got out last night and had a couple opportunities to hit this. First shot was from about 200 out on a very long par 4 on my home course into a 10 mph wind. I absolutely canned this thing and it ended up on the apron just short of the green. I was just looking for that rollout since I was facing that wind and instead I got an absolutely ripped shot that would have carried probably 205 with no wind and a flat lie.

Next on hole 17 I pulled out 2 balls and did another head to head with my Cobra RADSPEED 7W. I had just blasted this 7W about 215 yards on a par 5 to get into a greenside bunker in 2 that I have never hit into in 4 years living on this course and playing that hole probably 250 times. So I was confident in the 7, however the hybrid won again. The par 3 is 195 yards and plays to a draw flight. I absolutely ripped the hybrid a little right but got some wind help to push it back toward the pin. It landed on the apron and rolled up past a front pin location to leave me a 10' birdie putt. The 7W I pushed out right about 25 yards so it left me a pin high pitch from the rough.

These comparison shots have been helpful for me as what I am seeing is much tighter dispersion with the hybrid. I don't think it's max shot is as good as the 7W, but the shorter length and smaller head are easier for me to square back up. I am missing the 7W more directionally even though there is a bit more power there.

Some thoughts specifically about the hybrid. Since putting the new grip on I am feeling more confident in hand and have started to hit it on the screws more often. Those shots are really launching high for an 18* lofted club. The shot in particular on 17 last night went right where the tree line is and carried the top of a very old oak that can act a bit like Dikembe Mutumbo on this hole. Loved seeing that kind of flight from a hybrid. It's also not rolling out much on these shots even though our clay soil here in the Louisville area is more like ceramic after 2 weeks of hot dry weather. This club is making a hard push to be in my bag right now. It definitely will in my next 18 hole round.

Hole 17 from the tee:
4BC7C6AC-7C0B-451A-AF0F-923012D487F3.jpeg

Where the hybrid ended up:

E162856F-5A5A-42EE-A523-35FF8AD47EAD.jpeg

@DataDude i appreciate your continued updates. The trend definitely seems to lean towards the 757 being a more accurate option for your from around that 200 yard range. One day I hope to get some swings in with one because it sounds like the type of hybrid I typically am attracted to.

Going to drop a new hybrid shaft in the head this weekend.
I have been having a great time with the UST Mamiya LINQ hybrid, so figured I would try it in this one as well.

I have been having a great time with the UST Mamiya LINQ hybrid, so figured I would try it in this one as well.

Similar weight?

slightly heavier, but firmer in the handle, which I tend to like.

Very nice. Everything I’m reading about this one makes me think it’s a sleeper that quite a few people would enjoy.

Those shots are really launching high for an 18* lofted club. The shot in particular on 17 last night went right where the tree line is and carried the top of a very old oak that can act a bit like Dikembe Mutumbo on this hole.
This has been my experience too! It launches so high for a 18° club. I’ve been enjoying the ball flight a lot since I’m mostly hitting into either par 3 or par 5 greens with it. They land so soft it’s great.

Which Honma shaft did you have?

Which Honma shaft did you have?
Standard stiff. And I like it. It feels good, holds up pretty well, but for some reason I much prefer something pretty stiff in that club in my bag.

@DataDude - how do you approach and set-up that stinger shot?

@DataDude - how do you approach and set-up that stinger shot?
I use a bit of a forward press and then hit it like a hard chip shot. I would describe the feel as dead handing it. If I need a draw I move it back in my stance. Not really possible (at least for me) to slice it as that will elevate the ball flight.

I was able to use the 27 degree several times in my round yesterday. One out of the fairway and one out of fairly deep rough. No problem getting the ball to launch. As I have said before, I am seeing a high ball flight with this club. High flight but not too high.

Distance was very good on both shots.

I’ll continue to use the club for the rest of the season.

Since this has mostly fizzled out, can each tester give a wrap up overview of what they found with the Honma Hybrid?

Since this has mostly fizzled out, can each tester give a wrap up overview of what they found with the Honma Hybrid?
Well this went over well. Thanks testers. :ROFLMAO:

Back