Srixon ZX Utility Iron Review

First on course experience yesterday with the the ZX Utility! It was a gorgeous spring day, 70*, playing a new course. The ZX as much as possible off the tee, almost exclusively on the front nine, and about half the time on the back. My biggest takeaway for the day continues to be how easy it is to play in general. For a first outing, my accuracy was bad (I was overdrawing things at times), but solidity of contact was quite good. Had several fairway finders as intended, and hooked a couple into the river.

Looking forward to getting into the swing of things where my accuracy improves a little bit.

Sick tee shot on the 8th today using the ZX Utility. This was for eagle on a short Par 4, playing about 250. I missed the putt 😇 but the ZX Utility hit exactly the mid-height draw against the breeze that I was looking for 🔥 and feels amazing when you smoke one.

7E1F9A20-2076-446E-9720-C7077ACCA880.jpeg

So I'd noticed my ZXU had been leaning up against the wall not getting any action for a long time the other day, and took it out for the morning round.

For as much as they refined the look and added mainframe and whatnot, I don't think it suits me. I love the clean backside, but it still has a little wider sole than I prefer, and the boxed off top line looks thick at address. It may not be any thicker than some peers, but man, the whole line could have used a bevel imo. I checked some old notes and it seems pretty good out of the bottom for me, which is nice. I can get skinny at times. And that might have played a role in my biggest compliment to it. - I think it's the most distance consistent UT I've ever hit. I mean, just spooky at hitting the same yardage again and again on slightly different strikes and flights.

I have my 20* at 21 to compare to others, and it doesn't really get over on any of them in any facet except that. I don't seem to be able to shape it quite as well, it falls just a tiny bit short on distance, and it's not my favorite feel. Most of that can come down to preference and what fits me best, which sadly, it doesn't. Just not going to win out over others I like better over the ball, in my hands, and through the turf. So, good club, but not for me. Gonna move it.

Anyone have something other than the Recoil shaft in one of these? Looking at one of these with the KBS proto 85g hybrid shaft in it, but wanted to see if anyone has anything outside of stock in theirs.

Anyone have something other than the Recoil shaft in one of these? Looking at one of these with the KBS proto 85g hybrid shaft in it, but wanted to see if anyone has anything outside of stock in theirs.
I've tried a few different ones, but I don't know how much help my experience would be. Currently have a recoil proto f5 in it, and don't love it. Better than the stock recoil, but I honestly played it best with a Modus 105. The recoil profile just doesn't work for me at all and the whole setup felt light. It's been a challenging fit, with a lot of lead tape and shaft swapping, but plays well when it's right. Have you tried that KBS in anything before? I played it in a hybrid and my thought would be that it felt like more of an even bend for my swing as opposed to recoil's soft dip.

So I'd noticed my ZXU had been leaning up against the wall not getting any action for a long time the other day, and took it out for the morning round.

For as much as they refined the look and added mainframe and whatnot, I don't think it suits me. I love the clean backside, but it still has a little wider sole than I prefer, and the boxed off top line looks thick at address. It may not be any thicker than some peers, but man, the whole line could have used a bevel imo. I checked some old notes and it seems pretty good out of the bottom for me, which is nice. I can get skinny at times. And that might have played a role in my biggest compliment to it. - I think it's the most distance consistent UT I've ever hit. I mean, just spooky at hitting the same yardage again and again on slightly different strikes and flights.

I have my 20* at 21 to compare to others, and it doesn't really get over on any of them in any facet except that. I don't seem to be able to shape it quite as well, it falls just a tiny bit short on distance, and it's not my favorite feel. Most of that can come down to preference and what fits me best, which sadly, it doesn't. Just not going to win out over others I like better over the ball, in my hands, and through the turf. So, good club, but not for me. Gonna move it.
Just curious, what is your favorite go-to UT, especially for through the turf?

Sooooo... what does everyone think I should reshaft the ZXU with? I want 90-100g of responsive awesomeness. 95F4 is too soft. Talk to me.

Reshafted this rocket launcher last night with an eBay whoopsie 👀

Yup. The 3 (20.0) is a weapon. I forgot how ******* hot these are, and how pleasing they are to hit.

The mystery shaft in it is pretty effin awesome too! 👀

This club is back to life with the new UST LIN-Q in it. I forgot how hot this utility really is. Hitting some piss missiles with it from tee and turf that just make me smile.

Sooooo is anyone still playing one of these?
Tempted to go hit the 2 and see how I get on, it's super windy here and would love to have something that I could play below the wind.
If you are not playing this then what have you moved on to?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Tempted to go hit the 2 and see how I get on, it's super windy here and would love to have something that I could play below the wind.

I still play with this from time to time... though its been a couple months at this point since winter set in. This is still one of the easiest to hit utilities out there. Feels great and is pretty consistent for a utility. The only reason I don't play this full time is that I hit my 3 hybrid too well to ignore that its easier to use than a utility. Especially from 230 out on a Par 5, I don't have the strength/skill to make an 18* work of the deck consistently.

I bring mine out every now and then. It's a good club. Outside of it being insanely consistent and pretty easy there's just nothing about it that I love enough for it to end up in my bag often. It's a little wide for my tastes and flies a tad higher than my XFUT. Just individual preference. The ZX U is pretty automatic though.

I actually returned mine. I had the 2 with a nice Ventus shaft and really struggled with it. I've had 5 driving irons in the last year. My favorite is probably the Cobra with the head you can adjust. A close tied second is Callaway and New Level.

Well I'll see if I can go hit it and see how I get on vs my JPX921 HMP 4 iron.
I specifically bought the HMP as a driving iron but now I'm wondering if I can get a lower flight from something else. I've been here before though and I know it's a dangerous game haha

Just picked up a 4 utility to compare to my 4 apex hybrid. First shot I smacked down the center of the fairway 210 on a cold day (45 degrees). Was able to shape it very easily. Tried some shots from the right rough with tree trouble and no problems slicing around the tree. Very happy with this club.

Putting my set of irons together last year I wanted current and future forgiveness. Irons are the ZX5s A-7 and purchased last gen U85 6-4. Coming from Zings I had been used to long irons, but just getting back in to the game and being over 60 meant more forgiveness in long irons would be required.
I still had a 5 and 3 hybrid in the bag from the old days and played them well, but I noticed playing them now I was hooking them too much (bad swings). Love the U85s in deep rough and can work them easily. Once I get my swing back I will be using the Hybrids and U85s depending on the type of course I play.
You cant go wrong with the ZXs, but it will also depend on your swing.

I found this one with the AD HY-85s Shaft in it and holy crap is it a forgiving low missile launcher. Love it.

Potential tough question, but I am considering a 4i to replace a hybrid. I absolutely hammer my ZX5 5i, and am wondering whether it would make more sense to just get a ZX5 4i, or get the utility. I know @Jman said the utility is actually a little smaller than the ZX5, so is the ZX5 more forgiving, or is this utility a ball speed monster more so than the ZX5?

Then my other question is, so I put the same shaft as my irons in (Modus3 130) or go a little lighter, but that's a question for another thread 😇

Potential tough question, but I am considering a 4i to replace a hybrid. I absolutely hammer my ZX5 5i, and am wondering whether it would make more sense to just get a ZX5 4i, or get the utility. I know @Jman said the utility is actually a little smaller than the ZX5, so is the ZX5 more forgiving, or is this utility a ball speed monster more so than the ZX5?

Then my other question is, so I put the same shaft as my irons in (Modus3 130) or go a little lighter, but that's a question for another thread 😇
Neither. Get a ZX4 4i.

Neither. Get a ZX4 4i.

I will have to ask my fitter about what he'd recommend shaft wise, and hopefully he can still order them, because they say "not available" on the Srixon site :(

I will have to ask my fitter about what he'd recommend shaft wise, and hopefully he can still order them, because they say "not available" on the Srixon site :(
eBay time!

eBay time!

Haha yup. Tough to find the shaft I want, but the eyes are peeled! Or find one for cheap and reshaft.

Back