Tiger Says No to AT&T

There is no end in sight for this injury. The info is so damn vague it just leaves those that care, wondering...

And with that number decreasing on a daily basis....

I'm disappointed in hearing that Tiger will not be playing, as I am making my way to Philly for my first PGA Tour event. I am curious what kind of "support" position he will be taking at the tournament and whether there will be any face time?

I wasn't even thinking of him playing this week. What he needs to do is STOP POPPING UP EVERY WEEK AND LOOKING FOR ATTENTION! If you're out for a month, tell us, and then come back in a month. Is it the sort of injury that can only be assessed once a week, on a Tuesday?

To be fair, I think he was scheduled to play there (and the us open) until he pulled out recently, and that was what the announcement was about. It's not as though he said "i'm not playing in the traveler's this week, my leg hurts" to which the consensus retort would be "duh, we know, you never play there."

To your point, yes it would be nice and easier if he just came out with a real time table instead of withdrawing from each individual tournament that he was previously scheduled to play in week by week.

To be fair, I think he was scheduled to play there (and the us open) until he pulled out recently, and that was what the announcement was about. It's not as though he said "i'm not playing in the traveler's this week, my leg hurts" to which the consensus retort would be "duh, we know, you never play there."

To your point, yes it would be nice and easier if he just came out with a real time table instead of withdrawing from each individual tournament that he was previously scheduled to play in week by week.

Any chance the PGA has asked him to not say that he will not play for another month? Would ticket sales be down for the AT&T if he said that a few weeks ago? No idea...just speculating.

Any chance the PGA has asked him to not say that he will not play for another month? Would ticket sales be down for the AT&T if he said that a few weeks ago? No idea...just speculating.

anything is possible when money is involved

I think it's a good thing for him to get back in the public eye even if it's only to promote the event.
They need to try to do a few more guest commentaries with him without bringing up the past. I think this will help Tiger move on.

I was hoping he would play, but of course health is #1. Same thing as Paula Creamer pulling out of last weeks tourney on the LPGA because of a crick in her neck... you don't want to make it worse by playing just to play and really hurt something.

I hope to see Tiger back in full form, hopefully this year, but until then, we'll see what happens.

What he needs to do is STOP POPPING UP EVERY WEEK AND LOOKING FOR ATTENTION! If you're out for a month, tell us, and then come back in a month. Is it the sort of injury that can only be assessed once a week, on a Tuesday?

I am totally in agreement here, however I don't believe he is looking for attention, I'm pretty certain he has had his fill of that. I suspect his management won't let him give the I'm "out of order until further notice". That would have some major impact on the companies, sponsors, tourneys he has allied himself with. The last two years have shown some of the worst pr and media mgt. that anyone could imagine, imo.

I am totally in agreement here, however I don't believe he is looking for attention, I'm pretty certain he has had his fill of that. I suspect his management won't let him give the I'm "out of order until further notice". That would have some major impact on the companies, sponsors, tourneys he has allied himself with. The last two years have shown some of the worst pr and media mgt. that anyone could imagine, imo.

Yeah, I'm a little harsh with that assessment. Although I will say he's looking for attention, it's probably not on his own behalf!

Tiger's gonna hold a Press Conference today in a couple of hours at the AT&T. Hopefullly he'll talk about something we care about this time.

edit: Sportscenter live at 2pm eastern

Tiger's gonna hold a Press Conference today in a couple of hours at the AT&T. Hopefullly he'll talk about something we care about this time.

edit: Sportscenter live at 2pm eastern

Oh boy...here we go again.

I would like to see Tiger come back for the British Open and win, but I think until he "gets healthy" and can finally clear his mind and focus on golf again he will never be unstoppable again. I personally do think its a question of "if" he will dominate golf again but "when." As much as people love to hate Tiger for his off the course antics he is a phenomenal golfer.

As much as people love to hate Tiger for his off the course antics he is a phenomenal golfer.

Or his on the course antics that have been covered by so many here.

I hope he gets his body and just as importantly his mind back in shape and starts playing "Tiger" golf again. There may be a lot of young stars out there with the talent but there is still no one that can match his presence/charisma/x-factor/whatever you want to call it.

Or his on the course antics that have been covered by so many here.

JB I know you've been to plenty of tournaments so you must have heard other guys after their poor shots. Do you think people come down on tiger more because he is on air so much?

I was on the 16th tee last weekend at the travelers and hear my fair shair of four letter words, especially during the second round when guys were trying to make the cut.

Its too bad because tournaments are always more popular with Tiger in them. Ratings go up and people are genuinely interested.. he keeps people excited about golf.

JB I know you've been to plenty of tournaments so you must have heard other guys after their poor shots. Do you think people come down on tiger more because he is on air so much?.

I think there are quite a few guys that let their emotions get the best of them. I do think TW is one of the worst offenders of this in a long time. Its just not the 4 letter words, but the club throwing as well. Its also the frequency at which it takes place. He acknowledged it himself and agreed it was a problem. I would hate to think that was just more mic service like a lot of what was said that day.

I hope he gets his body and just as importantly his mind back in shape and starts playing "Tiger" golf again. There may be a lot of young stars out there with the talent but there is still no one that can match his presence/charisma/x-factor/whatever you want to call it.

I agree, he has done some remarkable things on the course and has raised the bar for tour level golf.

I don't think Tiger's leg is (or was) the problem.

Yeah, I don't doubt that his leg is all messed up, and I agree with the experts who say that he needs to change his swing to limit the impact on his left leg or else he'll be totally screwed.

Here's how I see it though, every since he came back from "the incident", he was hitting it sideways and eventually coralled that to a point, but the thing is his swing, his long game was never the problem. Tiger started to suck because his short game went to hell. He wasn't chipping it close, and he couldn't buy a putt. To me that was the biggest thing, Tiger could not make a putt ever since he came back from his whole wife ordeal. He was missing 5-10 footers he used to make in his sleep, he was missing relatively easy birdie putts, he was missing everything on the green. Last I checked your left leg has little to do with putting.

Again I agree that something has to be done about his leg because it has been through hell with his swing and it won't hold up, but I don't think that's his issue in returning to some semblence of his old form; Tiger has to remember how to putt, because that was, to me, the most glaring absence in his game post 2008-2009

I believe this is true and I appreciate the perspective. Just catching up with this thread as being a tiger fan I catch a lot of flack around here so I wait to comment on threads like this. But its all good, I'm used to it now. Its becoming tough to pull for him at this point, but alas I still do...

At least he's not in the walking boot anymore:

332892217.jpg

At least he's not in the walking boot anymore:

That is still the funniest thing I have ever heard.
He was seen without the boot right after the tournament
Has been seen around town without the boot as well.

That was as bad as he has not picked up a club since the Masters, yet the pictures showed otherwise in Asia.

Did that boot keep him from Shaving somehow?

Watch out, next he might go all Lucas Glover on us... he did lose his Gilette sponsorship after all.

You guys have not been reading the Morgan Cup thread. Coolbreeze covered the flavor savor beard in a video...hehe

That is still the funniest thing I have ever heard.
He was seen without the boot right after the tournament
Has been seen around town without the boot as well.

That was as bad as he has not picked up a club since the Masters, yet the pictures showed otherwise in Asia.

I didn't believe that he hadn't picked up a club after the Masters, you know that I posted about that. However, the limited pictures that I had seen recently had him in the boot. Of course, I don't live around the corner from him like you do, so I assume you'd know more about what he's been doing in Orlando.

I'm just trying to be optimistic about an athlete that I enjoy watching and want to see healthy again. Obviously, that's not the view of everyone on here, but it's how I feel.

Back