VT HOKIES

Reaction score
Handicap
+.2
Last week I went in to my Dermatologists who I see for Psoriasis and had a body scan done and of course I had 6 spots she had to biopsy and of course all six came back as skin cancer. All but one was the basal variety but one on my neck was squamish cell. That one had to be cut out and I now have 4 internal sutures and 4 external sutures which leads me to my question below.

What type of sunscreen to THP'ers apply? I have tried and hate to use spray on so I am looking for a non greasy lotion without oder.

All help is appreciated.

Bullfrog 30 with insect repellant, it is my favorite as it is non greasy.

Sorry bro, but if I use any, and I know I should, I use the spray on.

Thanks guys. I am 46 and grew up where you burn first before tanning. I tan well but throughout my life I have been burnt quite a few times. I have now had about 9 spots removed with two being cut out and it is time I use sunscreen while playing golf. When I am either at the pool or beach I liberally put on 50spf but while golfing I do not use any except for a hat.

I guess I am just wanting to start now even though the damage was done years ago.

I probably should but most times I don't use any

I use Coppertone Sport SPF 50.
I started using it a couple of years ago on the recommendation of my dermatologist after having some pre-concerous spots removed.

I use Coppertone Sport SPF 50.
I started using it a couple of years ago on the recommendation of my dermatologist after having some pre-concerous spots removed.

Same stuff for me.
If I know it's going to be hot and sunny, I put on the most bad a$$ sun screen I can find. I'll put up with the oiliness if it prevents me from turning into a peeling nightmare.

I'm a huge fan of low toxicity, anti cancerous stuff. As a mom of two young kids, I worry about their reproductive health (I know too many women with reproductive issues and can't help but think the stuff that has proven to be cancerous doesn't affect the insides). SO, I use Vanicream SPF 30, or Alba mineral for kids also SPF 30. They are both a little oily going on (thicker, whiter lotions), but once rubbed in I dont think they are oily. Both are non scented. I've heard great thing about the Keyes Sun line, but they are out of my price range. I also don't use sprays bc they generally have more chemicals and offer less powerful protection in my experience.

Good luck. Definitely try stuff out bf you buy if you can. If you are looking at higher end stuff like Kiehls or Origins you could also walk into a mall and ask for a sample. I hate buying a whole tube to find out that the texture is no good for me. Good for you in seeking out some good sun protection!

So sorry I started using the kids spf50 spray. My best to you..

So sorry to hear about that. We've all made the same mistake at one time or another, many still do. People are under the impression that if they tan easily or already have a great base tan that their skin no longer needs protection. That can't be farther from the truth.

I believe it's the UVB rays that burn, so yes, someone with a good tan is safe from UVB. But the UVA rays affect skin of any pigment and are absolutely cancer causing.

I've made my mistakes in my youth when I knew nothing about skin care, nor even cared. Now, I apply sunscreen of some sort whenever I'm exposed. During play, I liberally apply it once at the start and then again at the turn.

Coppertone Sport SPF 50 here, also. I've used Bullfrog spray but I feel better protected when I apply the cream. Walgreens also has a sport-sunscreen that's rated very highly (according to consumer reports, if memory serves).

Edited to add: reviews on Walgreens site for their sunscreen are not favorable at all, I'm gonna avoid it.

I've also used Coppertone's Water Babies and Coppertone Kids in the past because it was all we had at the house. Come to think of it now, I actually preferred them. Same protection as Sport as far as I could tell with no burning the eyes.

Last edited:
Coppertone Sport SPF 50 here, also. I've used Bullfrog spray but I feel better protected when I apply the cream. Walgreens also has a sport-sunscreen that's rated very highly (according to consumer reports, if memory serves).

I have used the Walgreens Sport, but I used the sprayon and the OP says he hates spray. I like it as it is non greasy, but I still stand by the Bullfrog SPF30 as my favorite non greasy, I figure SPF 30 is SPF 30. I don't like the cream because some of them (Banana Boat comes to mind) are all but impossible to rub in.

I used Neutrogena Age Shield Face sunblock lotion SPF110 per my dermatologist. I have had two basil cell carcinomas cut out. Plus I wear bucket or Australian soaker cap most days to protect my ears, neck, etc.

Last edited:
Neutrogena SPF 85+ wet skin spray. Goes on even if you're sweating.

Just a heads up but the FDA is actually reworking a lot of the labels out there in the near future (saw a news report on this). You will not see SPF labeling for more than 35 I believe as the FDA is also redefining their definition of protection. Their redefining the use of the words "multi spectrum" and eliminate the word "water proof" which makes sense.

How do you keep it out of your eyes? I am follicly challenged, so I shave my head. For the first time I'm trying to play without a hat so my head isn't 100 shades whiter than my face. The few times I've used sunscreen, I've sweated and it's run down into my eyes. I was afraid if I wiped my forehead with a towel too often it would remove the sunscreen.

Don't know if you guys get it but I use P20 by a company called riemanns,basically its an oil you put on 30mins before going out into the sun it bonds with the skin and dries non oily, you then go out in the sun and do not need to re-apply at all,non greasy and non sweaty. (do wash your hands though as its a bugger when it gets on your grips)

Nuetrogena Sport Face 70. I dont take any chances, I go high spf

Most of the time I don't wear any, but that's because most of my rounds are over by 10:00 in the morning or don't start till late in the evening. When I'm playing (or doing anything else outside) towards the middle of the day, I usually try to find some sort of sports sunscreen to wear.

I use Up & Up (Target) SPF 50. Consumer Reports rated Up & Up as a Best Buy. It's a non greasy lotion.

Coppertone Sport 30 or 50. I really like the 50 Faces formula for my face and neck.

I have also recently tried Neutrogena Ultrasheer 70 on my face, which I really liked, too.

I prefer traditional sunscreen that needs to be rubbed on, while my wife prefers the spray type.

Coppertone Sport 15....Banana Boat Sport 30 lip balm

This is a topic that is near and dear to me as a melanoma survivor. There used to be a product called PreSun that was hands down the best sunscreen I ever used. I used the alcohol based version that dried in almost instantly, didn't stink, and provided literally 'all day' protection. It's no longer on the market as near as I can tell, and it was expensive at $9.00 for 4 oz when it was available. I am out in the sun almost all day everyday because of my work so I went searching for bulk sunscreen, and found Rocky Mountain Sunscreen. I have been buying a gallon of 30spf every year since. It's labeled as non-oily, but like most non-alcohol-based sunscreens that is a complete farce! I do use Nuetrogena and Walgreen spray on the course, but I put on the Rocky Mountain stuff every day when I get to work.

For the record, ALL sunscreens are supposed to be applied a minimum of 30 minutes before exposure. All are also supposed to be reapplied throughout the day, especially if you are sweating or swimming. There is no such thing as waterproof sunscreen. I have to agree about wanting unscented sunscreens, I hate smelling like a freakin' coconut. But if that's the only thing I have available, I put it on, deal with the stink, deal with the oily mess and get on with my day. I hate putting it on every day, it drives me crazy that I have to. But not nearly as crazy as when I was told I had a deadly form of skin cancer!

I'm not a fan of oily sunscreens, which is most of them, but as a way to deal with them especially as it pertains to golf... I apply it when I'm getting dressed, and then wash my hands to get the greasy mess off my hands. At the turn I typically use a spray-on, and I coat myself liberally when I feel I need it.

I also wear long pants whenever I can get away with it just so I don't have to put on that much more sunscreen. Long sleeve shirts, in the summer heat, are out of the question even for me!

If you play golf (or spend any amount of time outside) you should have sunscreen on. I don't care where you live, yes EVEN you canucks, you need to put it on. Cancer SUCKS!

Greasy doesn't really bother me. I put Fruit of the Earth SPF 60 (fair skinned and an insistent wife) on before every round. I usually put it on before leaving the house so I can wash my hands afterward and it has the recommended 30 minutes to soak in to the skin before doing anything in the sun. By the time I get started I don't even remember I have it on. If it is very hot and humid (lol, here in Southern Ontario if it's hot it's humid), I will visually notice a little sheen, but don't feel weird.

I was burnt badly yesterday - won't make that mistake again. I was outside for a football related event from 8:30 AM until 5:00 PM. Didn't put on sunscreen - the sun beat me. I was in some serious pain last night. Needless to say, I'll lotion up thoroughly for the rest of the summer.

Back