BIG MAX Push for Sustainability

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
No matter one’s personal preferences, I like to believe that we all want to make changes in order to better serve and preserve our environment for ourselves as well as the generations to follow. We definitely have made mistakes, but there is always time to change course and make a difference. That is exactly what BIG MAX is doing in their quest for environmental sustainability.

It is definitely a story worth discussing, so we wanted to give you all a closer look at what a market leader can do to make change, should they truly want to as much as BIG MAX.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
I typed up a longer response, but trying to be less cynical these days.

Impressed they added the fact some of these changes saved them money. (that's almost always the hidden driving force)

Fantastic read! Very refreshing to read about a well established market leader making positive changes with enhancing profits not at the forefront of the reasoning. Well done Big Max!!! ???

Those efforts all sound like reasonable efforts to improve efficiency and reduce their "pollution footprint."

They're really not unlike many of the "initiatives" we've taken at home. E.g.: We've spent more time, money, and effort improving our homes energy efficiency than all other improvements, combined. As a result: Despite the fact we probably have way more electronics running than the average household (I'm a tech geek): Our monthly electricity bill shows we consume less than comparable homes in the area.

I do question this, however:
Another area of focus has been the elimination of solvents in finishes and protective coatings. BIG MAX invested in R&D which formulated a new environmentally sound powder coating to finish all of their carts, more interesting is it is actually less expensive in addition to being safer and more environmentally sound.
Be interesting to see how their new powder-coat finishes wear compared to more traditional powder-coat finishes. It has been my experience that solvent-free finishes often compare poorly as compared to those that employ solvents.

Turning to your question in your "Sustainability in Golf Equipment: Could it impact your potential purchases?": "Does, or would, [this] influence [my] purchasing?": Perhaps. All other things being equal: I might even be willing to pay a buck or two more for their products, compared to a competitors.

Nice write-up, @Jman (y)

• Staff
I typed up a longer response, but trying to be less cynical these days.

Impressed they added the fact some of these changes saved them money. (that's almost always the hidden driving force)
Agreed, it usually is. I will say though, after learning much more on it all, they’re definitely not the typical company, maybe being international is a big reason for that. They legitimately believe they have the market so cornered that they’re willing to be different and try to find new ways of doing them. They also have the very valid point that an established company can do this much easier, where a newcomer has to focus on cost and profit alone.

• Staff
Those efforts all sound like reasonable efforts to improve efficiency and reduce their "pollution footprint."

They're really not unlike many of the "initiatives" we've taken at home. E.g.: We've spent more time, money, and effort improving our homes energy efficiency than all other improvements, combined. As a result: Despite the fact we probably have way more electronics running than the average household (I'm a tech geek): Our monthly electricity bill shows we consume less than comparable homes in the area.

I do question this, however:

Be interesting to see how their new powder-coat finishes wear compared to more traditional powder-coat finishes. It has been my experience that solvent-free finishes often compare poorly as compared to those that employ solvents.

Turning to your question in your "Sustainability in Golf Equipment: Could it impact your potential purchases?": "Does, or would, [this] influence [my] purchasing?": Perhaps. All other things being equal: I might even be willing to pay a buck or two more for their products, compared to a competitors.

Nice write-up, @Jman (y)
Thank ya sir. Glad you enjoyed.

This is pretty interesting to me in a kind of weird way. I don't think about this. In fact for me its a bit out of sight out of mind, which is probably not fair, but in the end, if something can have an impact, without changing what I like, I am for it.

I enjoyed the article. I liked learning about what they (BIG MAX) are doing.

Mentioned on the forum that I don't think about this often, but there are really some interesting tidbits in here. 400k square feet of solar panels making it cooler in the warehouse, re-use of rain water etc. Elimination of plastic in packaging and if they do use it then it's recycled. Talk about a company that's putting their money where their mouth is. Thanks for this @Jman

Refreshing to read about a company wanting to do things right. I'm sure the marketing, and in some cases lower production costs are a welcome byproduct for them, but naive me chooses to believe they are doing it because they want to make a positive impact.

I'm in the market for a push cart and possibly a bag to use with it. They may have just swayed my purchase. I had Sun Mountain (Speed cart/Sync) on the top of my list, but I will have to take a hard look at Big Max now.

I appreciated the story. It will definitely make me look at their stuff next time I'm in the market for their products. Still need to earn my business with performance but given their market status I doubt that will be a problem here.

I really really enjoyed this. I know it sounds corny, maybe stupid and maybe too peace and love, but I believe in sustainability and making things better for our kids and their kids rather than the alternative. James thanks much for this article I had no idea Big Max was into this as well - they will always get a look when I am in the market for something they sell.

Interesting read am curious on the powder coating process and if this will become more dominant in other industries. On the manufacturing side from a power usage is the solar a more stable form of power to the plants in Vietnam as I know they’ve struggled with shortages and infrastructure like many other countries?

Interesting read am curious on the powder coating process and if this will become more dominant in other industries. On the manufacturing side from a power usage is the solar a more stable form of power to the plants in Vietnam as I know they’ve struggled with shortages and infrastructure like many other countries?
I believe it is. I know in speaking to another company that has gone this way and will be curious to see how it continues to work as we get more long term studies done.

I believe it is. I know in speaking to another company that has gone this way and will be curious to see how it continues to work as we get more long term studies done.
Yup, Duffer’s point has long been the valid one when it comes the these finishes. Big Max says they’ve tested the heck out of it so I’m curious to see real world longevity.

@Jman I always enjoy your write ups. You did an excellent job here painting the picture of why BIG MAX is pushing for sustainability and what impacts it'll have on products. Enjoyed reading it as always!

@Jman I always enjoy your write ups. You did an excellent job here painting the picture of why BIG MAX is pushing for sustainability and what impacts it'll have on products. Enjoyed reading it as always!
Thank you!

Excellent write up. I’ll definitely be looking into their products when I’m in the market for a new bag.

@Jman love when you start those threads leading up to the article

Excellent write up. I’ll definitely be looking into their products when I’m in the market for a new bag.

@Jman love when you start those threads leading up to the article
Thank you! I always enjoy seeing peoples reactions before things are fully revealed. Based on that thread, I thought we would have a lot more reaction to this one…

Thank you! I always enjoy seeing peoples reactions before things are fully revealed. Based on that thread, I thought we would have a lot more reaction to this one…

Maybe they all became less sustainable after that 1st thread. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Thank you! I always enjoy seeing peoples reactions before things are fully revealed.
My initial reaction in that thread I admit was a bit of a knee-jerk one. There's been so much posturing going on these days.

Based on that thread, I thought we would have a lot more reaction to this one…
As did I.

Good read. While sustainability in golf is not something I am concerned with all that much personally. I can appreciate intentional efforts towards it. I like big max. I have wanted one of their carts for a while. i dig the minimalist style.

My initial reaction in that thread I admit was a bit of a knee-jerk one. There's been so much posturing going on these days.

As did I.
Nah dude, it’s all good, that’s why I start those threads, it’s a pure reaction to a topic, and creates conversation while hopefully piquing more interest.

That was a really good read and glad to hear Big Max is working on this. When my current push cart finally craps out, Big Max will be at the top of the list for a replacement.

Back