Titleist TSR Drivers

Found some time to get to the TopTracer range and try out 10-15 balls with the HZRDUS Black and compare to 10-15 with the Tensei Blue. There were differences, and they were happy differences.

I set up the Tensei at A1 (10* neutral), the HZRDUS at D4 (10.75* neutral).

(Yellow=Tensei, Blue=HZRDUS)

All shots, minus one obvious mishit with each:
PXL_20221021_211932525.jpg

5 best with each:
PXL_20221021_212215866.MP.jpg

Tensei Avgs (5 best):
PXL_20221021_212227590.jpg

HZRDUS Avgs (5 best):
PXL_20221021_212235953.jpg

Analysis wise, my dispersion is tighter with both all shots and with the best ones with the HZRDUS Black. The absolute longest shots were with the Tensei but not by much, and the carry was less (they rolled a bunch). Both ended up with essentially the same ball speed averages but about 10 ft higher peak height on the same launch angle. I also noticed I had more frequent center or closer to center contact with the HZRDUS.

It's a relatively small data set so far, and I'd like to get another lesson before I make a move, but it's certainly looking like this is going to be a good move for me to make.

Round on Sunday using the Tensei though, well see how it goes! Ball should still go far anyways 😇

Got any other suggestions? Because today was ugly. One thin, a pop-up, the biggest block right in my life, a dead pull hammered way left (great contact, though :LOL:), but I did manage to mix in 2 good ones.
Go play tomorrow. Just like at Ballyhack… the next day you “can’t miss.”

Found some time to get to the TopTracer range and try out 10-15 balls with the HZRDUS Black and compare to 10-15 with the Tensei Blue. There were differences, and they were happy differences.

I set up the Tensei at A1 (10* neutral), the HZRDUS at D4 (10.75* neutral).

(Yellow=Tensei, Blue=HZRDUS)

All shots, minus one obvious mishit with each:
View attachment 9130058

5 best with each:
View attachment 9130059

Tensei Avgs (5 best):
View attachment 9130060

HZRDUS Avgs (5 best):
View attachment 9130061

Analysis wise, my dispersion is tighter with both all shots and with the best ones with the HZRDUS Black. The absolute longest shots were with the Tensei but not by much, and the carry was less (they rolled a bunch). Both ended up with essentially the same ball speed averages but about 10 ft higher peak height on the same launch angle. I also noticed I had more frequent center or closer to center contact with the HZRDUS.

It's a relatively small data set so far, and I'd like to get another lesson before I make a move, but it's certainly looking like this is going to be a good move for me to make.

Round on Sunday using the Tensei though, well see how it goes! Ball should still go far anyways 😇

Any chance of trying hzdrus at same loft?

Any chance of trying hzdrus at same loft?

May go back and try it, but I upped the loft because I expected the HZRDUS to launch a little lower at the same loft. When I tried it in my lesson last week, my coach plugged it in at a higher loft as well for the same reason.

The fact that the average launch angles were the same between the 2 shafts with the loft difference tells me the adjustment made the two setups at relative parity launch wise.

May go back and try it, but I upped the loft because I expected the HZRDUS to launch a little lower at the same loft. When I tried it in my lesson last week, my coach plugged it in at a higher loft as well for the same reason.

The fact that the average launch angles were the same between the 2 shafts with the loft difference tells me the adjustment made the two setups at relative parity launch wise.

True , I guess I was looking at hang time and overall height of shots along with rollout ....... unless I read average numbers wrong

True , I guess I was looking at hang time and overall height of shots along with rollout ....... unless I read average numbers wrong

You're reading them right, but I'm hesitant to trust rollout numbers especially considering there isn't really a fairway at this range, at about 270 there's woods so weird stuff can happen 😆

That said, I do want to get on a full launch monitor and make sure spin numbers makes sense so I get where you're coming from!

It's been awhile since I've hit a drive this far. I think it might be a good fit for me.1C28C17A-A96F-4072-B45F-8874EE603395.jpeg

What's your setup again?
10* TSR3 with the Tensei black. I have the adapter adjusted to B1 and weight in the middle although I may move out toward the toe tomorrow to try getting rid of a little draw. The trajectory is pretty perfect at 10* for me.

My first round with the TSR3 was pretty decent. After jumping to the 1st tee cold, with no warmup, & skying one to the right, next hole, huge pull to the left. I settled in on the 3rd driver hole & smoked one down the middle, good distance, considering it was still in the lower 50s temp. Got in a groove with the swing fairly quickly, then proceeded to hit the next 9 fairways in a row. Even had a comment by one of the guys I was playing with ... "you're really hitting that driver now." I do love the way the TSR3 sets up to the ball. Kind of reminds of me of the old classic line of 975D, more pear shape. The graphite design Tour AD XC shaft is very stable too. I can feel where the clubhead is in the swing, which is important to me.
Another day on the tee box tomorrow. I feel 14/14 fairways coming my way!

I got out for my first 9 yesterday morning and the. 5 or 6 holes tonight at dusk. Hit my TSR3 really well. My smoked shot is lower launching than my RADSPEED and I am getting some more rollout. Seems to be very easy to control. I like the way this plays quite a bit. Middle of the face shots feel like a pogo stick or something. Never had a driver feel like they do with this one. It’s a great feel. I love the depth of the face and the smaller profile. Perfect driver to play at a shorter length. Really pleased so far.

Also easily the best looking driver I have ever seen.

Much more solid driving day with the TSR2 today. It was one of a few bright spots in a pretty dismal round score wise. I did block one drive badly right but otherwise it was really solid. Showing only 4/12 fairways hit with driver, but 4 of them were only into the first cut or just into the rough and still put me in good spots with great distance.

One of my playing partners (who I play with fairly regularly) said that watching me drive with the TSR2 is noticeably different than with my previous setup. He said he hasn't seen me drive with this level of consistency in trajectory and good distance before. It's definitely becoming a confidence builder now, despite the fact that I (and my instructor) think the shaft is less than optimum (hopefully soon to be remedied).

Still riding high in the #TSaRmy 🤘💣

Screenshot_20221023-223653.png

Last edited:
Perfect driver to play at a shorter length.
What length are you playing it at?

I came from Tour Length F9 and SpeedZone. My fitter took a 1/2" off, down to 45" on the TSR, but I'm not sure I can tell it's a 1/2" longer than those two.

10/12 fairways for me this past weekend with TSR3. 1 awful swing, 1 went through the fairway.

I'm not seeing any extra distance with it compared to my old Sim Max (probably a tad shorter?) but this level of control is worth it so far. Which makes sense since I ordered it short and heavy as a pure anti-left build.

What length are you playing it at?

I came from Tour Length F9 and SpeedZone. My fitter took a 1/2" off, down to 45" on the TSR, but I'm not sure I can tell it's a 1/2" longer than those two.
44"

I have gone from 45" to Cobra Tour Length 44.5" and now 44". I am thus far hitting this length really well. It allows me to go to a less forgiving head to drop some spin and not have to worry as much about loss of clubhead control with the longer driver. Kind of like if someone had 2 drivers I am playing that second fairway finder driver instead of the first hit it as far as possible driver.

I have my brother's wedding this weekend which is great and all, but I will miss a weekend with the TSR2...

i had my titleist outdoor fitting this afternoon. i'm waiting to get the trackman data, but it was pretty cool.

ball speed with my gamer tsi2 ventus tr blue 6r was in the mid- to high 140s.
ball speed with tsr3 and my gamer ventus tr blue was 5-7 mph faster at the exact same shaft length, head loft and hosel setting. 10-15y more carry.

let's soak that in: same shaft. same loft. same length. 5-7 more ball speed with tsr3.

tsr3 was a little faster than tsr2 for me, and launched the ball a little higher with a touch less spin. so it was mid- to high 250s carry, which is crazy long for me (my drives have been finishing 240-260 these days).

at one point the fitter said "so which head do you prefer?" i responded, "wait, did you change them up?" i had to double-take because without paying close attention i didn't even notice when i was hitting r3 vs r2. such a strong testament to the effort they put into improving the r2 shaping.

while i couldn't tell a huge difference visually, i could tell a difference in feel. the r3 just feels so much more explosive, and looks it off the face.

i'll come back in and post the trackman data. but head-to-head, keeping loft, length and shaft consistent, the r3 destroyed the i2. the crazy thing is i was living a little on the heel today, so when i center the r3 a bit better it will be even LONGER.

for shafts we started with stock hzrdus. it was ok, but i lost it at the top. tensei blue a bit better, but kinda loose. 1k black was much better for me, i felt i could feel it in transition and just let it go. we also tried ad ub and after two swings he took it out of my hands because it was such a bad fit for me.

so, order placed:
tsr3 10*
stock loft
stock length
stock weight in the neutral position
b1 setting

i know this isn't the fairway wood thread, but i won't junk it up with, well, junk data. suffice it to say i could hit my 3w just fine, but couldn't hit the tsr fairways to save my life. we took about 7 or so swings and i just said i wasn't interested in hitting any more. not for me.

i'm pumped for the tsr3! it is so freaking good!!!

order placed 10/11. order delivered 10/24. solid!!!

6E6FFA16-3757-45A7-A7E4-C5085B99BB88.jpeg
43FDEB47-A5C2-4420-9B87-ABAD84F8E722.jpeg

10/12 fairways for me this past weekend with TSR3. 1 awful swing, 1 went through the fairway.

I'm not seeing any extra distance with it compared to my old Sim Max (probably a tad shorter?) but this level of control is worth it so far. Which makes sense since I ordered it short and heavy as a pure anti-left build.
I went with the shorter shaft and heavier weight combination also and I’ve been impressed. It seems like I’m still getting similar distance to my last couple of drivers but I’m actually keeping the ball and play a lot more.

So biggest drive so far has been 365-370. I might have gotten a nice bounce off hard ground but it actually reached the group in front of us. They weren’t upset. They said they realized it came from the tee box and were like wait we’re like 370 out. They said they slowed up because they wanted to see who hit the drive. 😂

Thinking about taking the 3 out and trying not to fall in love with the sound again. It's been sitting in the bag in the spare room for a good stretch here and there's probably no point ot having it if I'm not going to play it. Such a dangerous game taking pretty young thing out on the town..

So biggest drive so far has been 365-370. I might have gotten a nice bounce off hard ground but it actually reached the group in front of us. They weren’t upset. They said they realized it came from the tee box and were like wait we’re like 370 out. They said they slowed up because they wanted to see who hit the drive. 😂

Holy crap dude, that is massive! My longest measured on Shot Scope was 311...

Played 18 Saturday and 9 yesterday. I have to say it again that the TSR3 just gives me hope that I can become a decent golfer. I was either in the fairway or just off of it on every tee shot played w/ my driver for both days. I used 1 golf ball Saturday and then 1 ball Sunday. The extra distance has been nice but the forgiveness that has come with it is a blessing.

Back