3 Wood or High Launch Driver

coolbreeze

Aspiring Golferr
Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 8.9
JB got me thinking about something that I had never thought of before and thought it would be an interesting debate. If you're like me and don't really ever hit three wood off the deck, but as a shorter club off the tee, would you consider a higher lofted driver with a shorter shaft instead?

JB got me thinking about something that I had never thought of before and thought it would be an interesting debate. If you're like me and don't really ever hit three wood off the deck, but as a shorter club off the tee, would you consider a higher lofted driver with a shorter shaft instead?

I'm already there with driver with 12 degrees and a 44 inch shaft. I think several OEM's make a 13 degree 3 wood as well.

Are you thinking like a 13 degree cut down 2 inches? Solid idea for respectable distance and good accuracy off the tee.

Sent from my Tapatalk!

I'm already there with driver with 12 degrees and a 44 inch shaft. I think several OEM's make a 13 degree 3 wood.

I'm not suggesting its not made, but would you have your current driver as your "long driver" and have a 12 or 13 degree "short driver" for where you would normally hit three wood.

I'm not suggesting its not made, but would you have your current driver as your "long driver" and have a 12 or 13 degree "short driver" for where you would normally hit three wood.

I could see doing that. Cut down a strong 3 wood and in my case have a M3 for longer shots from the deck.

Sent from my Tapatalk!

There has always been some mis-understanding I think about higher lofted drivers. I play a 12 degree because I was fit for it and it offers me the correct launch angle. I give up very little, and often no distance over most guys I play with that hit 9 or 10 degree drivers. More loft does not always been a big loss in distance. It does however mean a ton more fairways hit.

I know your not saying this at all, but I often see threads where guys will say they hit their 3 wood farther than their driver, but they never make the connection loft wise.

There has always been some mis-understanding I think about higher lofted drivers. I play a 12 degree because I was fit for it and it offers me the correct launch angle. I give up very little, and often no distance over most guys I play with that hit 9 or 10 degree drivers. More loft does not always been a big loss in distance. It does however mean a ton more fairways hit.

I know your not saying this at all, but I often see threads where guys will say they hit their 3 wood farther than their driver, but they never make the connection loft wise.

No this is not what I am suggesting at all. You are talking about optimal driver conditions, for launch spin, ect, I'm not suggesting that leaves the bag, but instead of a 3 wood that you only use off the tee (for some of us) you replace that club with a higher lofted, shorter shafted driver, to get your 3 wood distance, but with some added forgiveness that you don't get with a 3 wood. I've never thought of it before until JB brought it up earlier.

I'm like Hoosier and already use a 12* driver. I also will hit my 3 wood off the tee when needed, but I don't fear hitting it off the deck either.

So to answer the question, no! haha

I have a friend that came to the 1st outing and his screen name is PR Guy. He always used to tee off with a 3 wood. But last year switched to a 12 degree driver with a 39 C. Kua in it and gained 25 yards off the tee.

I plan on bagging a 13* 3W for when I need to hit the fairway but don't wanna lose too much distance.

No this is not what I am suggesting at all. You are talking about optimal driver conditions, for launch spin, ect, I'm not suggesting that leaves the bag, but instead of a 3 wood that you only use off the tee (for some of us) you replace that club with a higher lofted, shorter shafted driver, to get your 3 wood distance, but with some added forgiveness that you don't get with a 3 wood. I've never thought of it before until JB brought it up earlier.

I think I get ya. If one struggles with a 3 wood both from the fairway and the tee, and you never use it from the fairway, you could I guess go with something like a 13 degree driver at the 3 wood length. I'm sure you could hit it easier off the tee than a smaller headed 3 wood.

I guess I'm pretty lucky in that I'm pretty good with a 3 wood off the deck as well as the tee. I could see what your saying work well for some, but how do you make up the gap where the wood would be for a deck shot? 2 hybrid maybe?

I think I get ya. If one struggles with a 3 wood both from the fairway and the tee, and you never use it from the fairway, you could I guess go with something like a 13 degree driver at the 3 wood length. I'm sure you could hit it easier off the tee than a smaller headed 3 wood.

I guess I'm pretty lucky in that I'm pretty good with a 3 wood off the deck as well as the tee. I could see what your saying work well for some, but how do you make up the gap where the wood would be for a deck shot? 2 hybrid maybe?

You wouldn't. I know for me, if I can't get to the green with my 3 hybrid, then I'm either going to lay up to a comfortable yardage, or hit a 3 hybrid close to the green for a simple chip.

Cool, as a fellow lefty, I love where your brain is buddy, but you'll have a tough time finding a higher lofted driver in LH. They are out there, but not every OEM offers one. The same can be said for 13* 3woods, 14* 3woods or 17* fwy woods. Good example, I was checking out Callaway's website today, looking at Razr Hawk drivers and shaft options and when it comes to the Razr Hawk, I got two choices dude (10.5* or 11.5*-closed face) which isn't all that ideal for me. I would prefer something in the 9-9.5* range but I don't think I want to go the Tour route, due to it being open faced.

Cool, as a fellow lefty, I love where your brain is buddy, but you'll have a tough time finding a higher lofted driver in LH. They are out there, but not every OEM offers one. The same can be said for 13* 3woods, 14* 3woods or 17* fwy woods. Good example, I was checking out Callaway's website today, looking at Razr Hawk drivers and shaft options and when it comes to the Razr Hawk, I got two choices dude (10.5* or 11.5*-closed face) which isn't all that ideal for me. I would prefer something in the 9-9.5* range but I don't think I want to go the Tour route, due to it being open faced.

I feel you man, and I doubt I will ever do it. Just was thinking about it. It is very strange to me, that Callaway only made the Razr Hawk for lefties in 10.5 and 11.5 and then only makes the tour for lefties in 9.5*. I mean seriously???? We are used to less options but thats rediculous.

I have a buddy that has this setup. He plays his 'fitted' R9 Supertri @ 9.5 degrees and also has Ping Rapture V2 in 13.5 cut down to 41.5 inches. For him (and me) it is a mental thing that he can't get comfortable with the smaller head size of a traditional 3 wood. I like the strategy and have given some thought. My only issue is finding a high lofted driver in lefty.
Another friend of mine will switch out his fitted driver for a 13.5 Superfast but usually opts for one or the other in the bag.

TC, I think Ping makes 13.5 for lefties. I know this doesn't help you out for the Morgan Cup, but I am thinking about picking one up.

Hmm, I don't see the point as long as your driver fits.

I think a less powerful swing with a driver would do the trick. And if things are too tight for driver I go hybrid as opposed to wood. My FW is for distance controlled tee shots and off the ground on very long holes.

I like the 3w because it wont overshoot and land in water, or sand, or a dogleg. A driver to me is just as far as I can make it go, and that difference can be 75 yards shot to shot. I never hit my 3w off the deck either, but do use it much more than my driver.

I can see why this is a good debate. I truthfully have never thought about it. Right now, if I hit a wood of the tee, I've got my SuperTri 8.5* or a 4 hybrid which have about a 50-60 yard gap. This is something for me to think about tomorrow when I play if a shortened higher lofted drive would benifit me. Great debate and another thread that makes you ponder.

Wow This has got me really thinking...Im going to have to spend some time on this thought it could work. Might even cut a shaft down and open my R11 to its highest Loft....:thinking:

And this is exactly why some companies are making FD woods and such. Like the 910 Titleist. Its just a smaller headed driver with high loft. Or a 3 wood that is too deep to hit off the deck. But it keeps people from that "issue" of having a high lofted driver.

Interesting debate for sure.

No, I wouldn't do what the OP suggested. Why not just hit a real driver straight?

Kevin

One issue with shortening a shaft I've had, is now it doesn't get the clubhead speed needed to carry the original loft. Fine tuning is one thing but just shortening a shaft to make it easier to hit did not work for me.

No, I wouldn't do what the OP suggested. Why not just hit a real driver straight?
Kevin

I'm working on that. Give me a few more weeks!

Back