Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

I ended up selling my ZX7 despite loving how they looked and feel because they a little less forgiving than I wanted.

I just replaced them with the Mizuno GPX forged 921 irons and they are the perfect blend somewhere between zx5 and 7

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk

I know that this line is getting replaced soon, but I'm 2 years behind cycle.

I saw a lot of reviews call the zx5s "spin killers". Had this happen with my 8 iron at 160 yards twice this morning. Never backed up anything lofted lower than a PW before and have been getting this.

Attachments

• 20221027_080752.jpg
    20221027_080752.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 61

I saw a lot of reviews call the zx5s "spin killers". Had this happen with my 8 iron at 160 yards twice this morning. Never backed up anything lofted lower than a PW before and have been getting this.
Had that yardage dialed in!!!!!

Modus 120S. Had them in the 7's and they really helped my tempo and timing.
I'm back in the zx7s with modus 120. Really looking forward to them.

When you zoom in you can see the "hop" marks behind the ball mark. Now that's a good ball strike.

Well I am a srixon fan through and through but since I got the jpx 921 forged I have shot my 2 career low rounds of 70 and 73 and in autumn cool conditions in Canada not conducive to scoring.

Kinda feel like a zx7 would be a perfect iron. Just a tiny bit less offset and smaller head and thinner top line but a bit bigger than the 7 which for me were definitely more difficult to hit.

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk

When you zoom in you can see the "hop" marks behind the ball mark. Now that's a good ball strike.

Maybe it was the conditions (cold and wet), but those hop marks are actually in front of the ball mark. Happened twice and felt the need to take a picture because I've truly never done that before. Obviously not spinning back in the typical sense, but just found it interesting to be landing an 8 iron and having it back up.

Had the ZX5's out today and I am still super impressed with the V sole in the dormant grasses. Just gets thru is easily with no catching.
For an iron that is supposed to be lower spin I had no issues holding harder greens today. I have these paired with the Modus 120s shafts and is a great combo as long as I keep my tempo smooth.

Had the ZX5's out today and I am still super impressed with the V sole in the dormant grasses. Just gets thru is easily with no catching.
For an iron that is supposed to be lower spin I had no issues holding harder greens today. I have these paired with the Modus 120s shafts and is a great combo as long as I keep my tempo smooth.

Yep. The V-sole is absolutely fantastic in most lies, but love it in dormant Bermuda. Absolutely great turf interaction.

I've never had an issue with low spin. The decent angle with the Modus 105 normally leaves me within a foot or two of my pitch mark, even with a 5-iron.

I had an itch for some PXG irons after getting fit for the driver and putter and absolutely loving them. My fitter told said 'I have my work cut out for me' after I hit my baseline shots with my ZX5s. Adjusting for loft, the difference was only a few yards. But my dispersion and ballflight was the Srixons was as good as I could ask for.

I bought them when they first came out and don't see any reason to switch for 2023.

I just wanted to say how much of a fanboy of Cleveland Srixon I’ve become recently.

Sometimes it pays to be a Lefty.

My PGA Superstore haul:
ZX 15* 3wood $99.99
ZX Utility 3 19* $99.99
ZX Utility 4 22* $99.99
Cleveland RTX ZipCore chrome 52,56,60
$79.99 each.
All of these were mint condition demos, some with plastic on them.

My 2nd Swing deal:
Srixon ZX7 4-PW Modus 120 New in box
$850.
I tried several ZX5 drivers, but found the head/shaft combination a bit too spinny. Rogue St Max LS stays put.
I love them all, but the ZX Utility irons are my favorite. Everything I bought seems lower spin producing for my swing, I may experiment with a golf ball change this next season.
I fricken love these clubs !

I just love my U85s and they say the ZX is even better... I don't know how.
I love how these just bore thru Headwinds. There has been a few times when I over-clubed due to winds

Jumping on this train right as it's about to leave the station! The holiday season and the MkII coming out soon-ish meant some pretty good discounts on these irons, even in the split sets and the exact shaft type I was looking for. I'm soon to be the proud owner of 4-7 ZX5 and 8-PW ZX7 :D
This is a pretty aspirational jump up for me from my Mizuno Hot Metals and I'm really looking forward to seeing how this will work out.

Some backstory -> I had a major swing overhaul through almost 6 months of lessons earlier this year. As a result of that, my fade/slice became a very consistent draw and my misses moved left. The Hot Metals are fantastic irons and served me well from being a noob golfer to a 15 handicap. I was finding that once I learned to grip and align them correctly, the offset started messing with my head and led to weird adjustments to avoid the left miss. I also found that the thicker sole in the 5, 6, 7 irons was throwing me off too. I tried a couple of irons with my instructor that had less offset and thinner soles and saw good results (not so much in the numbers but my comfort level and feeling of confidence at address was much better). I was really wanting to stay in the Mizuno line and specifically the JPX921 as I didn't like the looks of the previous generations or even the newer 923. I was looking for 7-PW in the Forged and 4-6 in Hot Metal Pro with 120g shafts and this combo was impossible to find a reasonable deal on :( When I saw the ZX combo, I jumped on it - actually a feeling a little better with the 7 iron being in the more forgiving club.

Jumping on this train right as it's about to leave the station! The holiday season and the MkII coming out soon-ish meant some pretty good discounts on these irons, even in the split sets and the exact shaft type I was looking for. I'm soon to be the proud owner of 4-7 ZX5 and 8-PW ZX7 :D
This is a pretty aspirational jump up for me from my Mizuno Hot Metals and I'm really looking forward to seeing how this will work out.

Some backstory -> I had a major swing overhaul through almost 6 months of lessons earlier this year. As a result of that, my fade/slice became a very consistent draw and my misses moved left. The Hot Metals are fantastic irons and served me well from being a noob golfer to a 15 handicap. I was finding that once I learned to grip and align them correctly, the offset started messing with my head and led to weird adjustments to avoid the left miss. I also found that the thicker sole in the 5, 6, 7 irons was throwing me off too. I tried a couple of irons with my instructor that had less offset and thinner soles and saw good results (not so much in the numbers but my comfort level and feeling of confidence at address was much better). I was really wanting to stay in the Mizuno line and specifically the JPX921 as I didn't like the looks of the previous generations or even the newer 923. I was looking for 7-PW in the Forged and 4-6 in Hot Metal Pro with 120g shafts and this combo was impossible to find a reasonable deal on :( When I saw the ZX combo, I jumped on it - actually a feeling a little better with the 7 iron being in the more forgiving club.
I have never been a fanatic in any one brand but the Srixons are just great. I think you will enjoy them.

I just got the clubs delivered and they are stunning :love: The ZX5s and ZX7s blend in so well together.

I'll be able to go to the range tomorrow to try them out - can't wait.

First range session with the ZXs was great! I took my Hot Metals as well to compare - I need to take a toothbrush to the Mizunos before putting them up in the Classifieds section 😅

- Biggest difference was how much I enjoyed the lower offset of the Srixons. It's so freeing to not see a closed face at address.
- The thinner sole was a substantially different feel in the 5, 6, 7 irons. The turf interaction is noticeable cleaner than the fatter soles of the HMs.
- Distances were obviously lower than the HMs because of the loft but nothing to crazy (half a club or so through most of them)
- ZX5 4 and 5 irons were very close in yardage. I guess this isn't that uncommon and my swing wasn't the best today either. I'm going to play them as is for a bit to see how they end up before tinkering with lofts (or even removing the 4 iron completely)
- ZX7s are way more forgiving than what I was expecting. You can definitely feel the mishit far more sharply than the ZX5s or the HMs but the distances were not that far off than better hits.
- Mishits in the ZX5s are very muted and just as forgiving. The HMs felt the about the same.
- Sweet hits with the ZX7s feel like I went through a cotton ball :D
- The biggest difference for me was the shaft. The KBS Tour 120 in the Srixons feels stiffer and more uniform than the Modus 120 in the HMs. I found I preferred the KBS far more as I still had awareness of the club head and face when my transition and downswing got a little quick and aggressive.

I can't wait to play a round with them this weekend!

Some ZX7 are sitting out there for $540. Very tempting.

First range session with the ZXs was great! I took my Hot Metals as well to compare - I need to take a toothbrush to the Mizunos before putting them up in the Classifieds section 😅

- Biggest difference was how much I enjoyed the lower offset of the Srixons. It's so freeing to not see a closed face at address.
- The thinner sole was a substantially different feel in the 5, 6, 7 irons. The turf interaction is noticeable cleaner than the fatter soles of the HMs.
- Distances were obviously lower than the HMs because of the loft but nothing to crazy (half a club or so through most of them)
- ZX5 4 and 5 irons were very close in yardage. I guess this isn't that uncommon and my swing wasn't the best today either. I'm going to play them as is for a bit to see how they end up before tinkering with lofts (or even removing the 4 iron completely)
- ZX7s are way more forgiving than what I was expecting. You can definitely feel the mishit far more sharply than the ZX5s or the HMs but the distances were not that far off than better hits.
- Mishits in the ZX5s are very muted and just as forgiving. The HMs felt the about the same.
- Sweet hits with the ZX7s feel like I went through a cotton ball :D
- The biggest difference for me was the shaft. The KBS Tour 120 in the Srixons feels stiffer and more uniform than the Modus 120 in the HMs. I found I preferred the KBS far more as I still had awareness of the club head and face when my transition and downswing got a little quick and aggressive.

I can't wait to play a round with them this weekend!
Agree about forgiveness of 5s. When my Over The Top rears up I hit Toe shots, I feel it right away but only loose about 5 yards.

First round with the ZXs in the books - 45F, cloudy and 10-12mph winds but the irons felt amazing. The turf interaction was really good, even on slightly fat shots. The yardages were lower than I was expecting because of the cold but I'm really happy with the head/shaft combo.

I have never been a fanatic in any one brand but the Srixons are just great. I think you will enjoy them.

Thought about this the other day. The V sole is absolutely the best thing about these clubs to me. I expect whenever I get my next set of clubs that I might find a set that I like better on Trakman but it's going to be hard to get it out of my head how great that sole is working through the turf. For same reason, I don't think I'll ever get away from Cleveland approach wedges. It's absolutely amazing for someone like me that is steep down on the ball.

Last edited:
Every time I see this thread pop up I get a little sad. It haunts me that I didn’t go to a fitter that had Srixon because the ZX7s are still my all time favorite iron I’ve used. My last round of the year I took a few shots with my friends set and I couldn’t hit a bad shot

I also managed to find a seat as this train departed the station. Selected ZX5 in 4-6 + ZX7 in 7-A. Purchased heads only and expect to have the clubs assembled shortly after Christmas.

Current gamers are Titleist T200s. I've been eager to try Srixon for several years. Probably going to add a couple of Cleveland wedges and have a Muira putter for this bag. Top end is TBD.

i've been playing my 7's pretty well, for me anyway, and it has me not so eager to change out anytime soon.

Just wanted to bump this thread and say that the ZX5's are still ridiculously good. These irons are absolutely the best part of my bag right now. Even the 5 iron I am absolutely striping - to the point that I'm really considering going to a 4 iron instead of a hybrid.

I'm really excited to get some new irons in the Titleist Experience, but I'd be lying to you if I said I'm not just a wee bit concerned about changing away from these. They are easily the best irons I've gamed yet.

Just wanted to bump this thread and say that the ZX5's are still ridiculously good. These irons are absolutely the best part of my bag right now. Even the 5 iron I am absolutely striping - to the point that I'm really considering going to a 4 iron instead of a hybrid.

I'm really excited to get some new irons in the Titleist Experience, but I'd be lying to you if I said I'm not just a wee bit concerned about changing away from these. They are easily the best irons I've gamed yet.
Agree, love my 5s. But the new Titleist Irons look fantastic, and the Experience is gonna be great.

all experiences are great, its great to also have a bunch of good choices for clubs!

Back