Nike VR Pro Wedges

My VR pros don't look nearly like that, but I clean my wedges constantly while I am practicing.. They are certainly heading down that path, though.

Black or chrome?

I just got back from a range session with the 56*. I only took it to the range to work on getting some control over the 50 yd to 80 yd shots. I really was able to dial it in and gain a lot of confidence with it. I hope to transfers over to the course. I even practiced a bit around the chipping green, but I have not been struggling there. I really do enjoy this club a lot and I think once I get the 50 yd to 80 yd shots down. It will be my true scoring club.

One complaint I do have about the club is the wear factor on the face. I have only had the club for about 2 weeks now and the hex groves were the ball hits are already worn down. The black finish has worn off too. I thought it would last a bit longer than this. Has anybody else has this problem with these wedges? I really hope my wedges last a year and I think the regular grooves will. The hex grooves are the ones that have already worn off. Here is a picture from my phone of what they look like now.
f560305b.jpg

To someone like me, who enjoys keeping things looking as near to mint as possible, this is very disappointing.
Such a beautiful finish, ruined within a matter of weeks. Might as well buy a chrome one, and then spray paint the back of it black or something. At least then the face won't wear to the point of looking destroyed.

I do understand though that some people love this look. I just think a black wedge that stayed black would be really nice.

I don't think I have seen a black wedge that hasn't looked like that after a while. I like the used look myself.

People have to understand the idea behind this raw type of wedge. As it says on the shaft, the goal behind it is to rust. The black should come off with each shot and be a near raw finish.

People have to understand the idea behind this raw type of wedge. As it says on the shaft, the goal behind it is to rust. The black should come off with each shot and be a near raw finish.

With regards to the rusty look, do you try to clean the rust away periodically to let it come back or just leave it as it is?

I wasn't really discouraged with the finish coming off, more with the hex groves.

Tapatalk makes meetings so much fun.

Yes! Thats why I love them!

With regards to the rusty look, do you try to clean the rust away periodically to let it come back or just leave it as it is?

I leave it.

Black.. Here is a photo for reference.. Not a great one though, cause it's from the phone!!

Look similar to me in relation to grooves.

I do understand the purpose behind the raw finished wedges - oil quenched and black.
Like I said, it's personal taste. If they'd finish a wedge in the same way that they do the Burner 2.0's (I'm assuming they aren't rusting?) it'd be much better for those of us who like the black, but don't want the rust.

back on topic though - do these things rip up balls?

I do understand the purpose behind the raw finished wedges - oil quenched and black.
Like I said, it's personal taste. If they'd finish a wedge in the same way that they do the Burner 2.0's (I'm assuming they aren't rusting?) it'd be much better for those of us who like the black, but don't want the rust.

back on topic though - do these things rip up balls?

Burner 2.0 irons are not black on the face.

I dont find they shred balls that much.
All new grooves will for a little bit, but not as much as other wedges. That is the reason I made the switch personally. Less spin then with my CG15

Burner 2.0 irons are not black on the face.

I dont find they shred balls that much.
All new grooves will for a little bit, but not as much as other wedges. That is the reason I made the switch personally. Less spin then with my CG15

Well that was a fail by me...

My club pro was talking these up today. Said he just sold one and got a hit of it, and dang it's nice!

Sure would sit nice in the bag next to the Pro Combos too.

These are terrific wedges, had a chance to try these out recently, and I loved the feel these clubs had, and these are on my radar to replace my Callaway wedges in a few months. Nike is really stepping up their technology lately, or otherwise I just hadnt caught on to Nike clubs until recently, because their whole lineup is very good quality as of late.

Played my second round with these yesterday. Hitting them very well on full shots and beginning to dial in the partial shots (50-90 yards) - more forgiving than I expected just based on looks. Sitting in my hands, they feel like my old Vokeys, but perform more like my CG15s (more forgiving).

Haven't hit a lot of chip shots yet, and this is a weak spot for me, so I need to spend some time in this area.

JB , you say these spin less then your cg15s did?

JB, do you attribute the decrease in spin to the \/ grooves as opposed to the |_| grooves?

JB, do you attribute the decrease in spin to the \/ grooves as opposed to the |_| grooves?

Possibly. I had never hit wedges as spinny as the CG15s for me. Nothing even close. These still offer good spin though and are working well.

I've was able to play 27 today. My main purpose was to get these wedges dialed in for my club championship in 2 weeks. I played out my drive and then hit a 3/4 smooth swing w/ my 54* from about 100 yds and the same swing w/ my 60* from 80 yds.

Overall I'm seeing a higher launch, but greater distance than my previous Vr Forged. I don't get as much all around spin as I did with the previous model, which I'm getting used to and am starting to prefer. My ball is landing on the green, taking a hop and spinning back just shy of where it landed. I am able to choke down, open up the face, put the ball back in my stance and hit the one hop and check shot, which has become a big part of my game inside of 60 yards.

The biggest benefit that I am seeing from this wedge is its heavier head weight... I am able to hit it consitent distances over and over. I've also been able to move the ball around my stance and easily control the trajectory. Because of the weight I'm seeing the ball come out of the rough easily too...

Overall I'm a big fan... I have quite a bit more testing to do , but I like what I'm seeing so far. After my club championship I'm going to look into putting in the DG Spinner shafts to lower the trajectory a bit and if it spins a bit more that's OK as long as it's not too much...

Had my first opportunity to play my new 52 degree today...I came away very impressed. I was not sure of the exact distance I would get out of this and had an opportunity to hit it on the first hole when I found myself 93 yards from the middle of the green. Hit a smooth shot and ended up 20 feet under the hole with a birdie putt - ball stopped within a foot of where it landed.

Hit it a few other times around the green and really like the way the ball responded when landing on the green. Those X3X grooves work very well and really help the ball check up - barely missed an eagle chip with this today.

On Monday morning, I will have a 56 degree on order while I retire a few other wedges that are up for sale now!!

Had my first opportunity to play my new 52 degree today...I came away very impressed. I was not sure of the exact distance I would get out of this and had an opportunity to hit it on the first hole when I found myself 93 yards from the middle of the green. Hit a smooth shot and ended up 20 feet under the hole with a birdie putt - ball stopped within a foot of where it landed.

Hit it a few other times around the green and really like the way the ball responded when landing on the green. Those X3X grooves work very well and really help the ball check up - barely missed an eagle chip with this today.

On Monday morning, I will have a 56 degree on order while I retire a few other wedges that are up for sale now!!

Glad its working for ya Cook, these wedges really peek my interest, loved the old VR Forged wedges and these look even better IMO, only bad thing i found while playing the VR Forged is they chew balls worse than my Jaws wedge lol, whenever im in the market for new wedges im def gonna give these a spin (pun intended)

How do these compare to Mizunos? I'm talking about both headweight through the back swing (i think Mizunos are light, which I like), and also grip (I love the stock grips on mizunos)?

I'm looking for a 50 degree to go with my 56 and 60, both of which have spinners and mizuno grips installed. Would I be better off just buying the new mizuno with the standard spinners? Where can you order the VR with spinners, since I don't want to buy them, then spend another 40 to switch the shaft and grip.

Thanks!

How do these compare to Mizunos? I'm talking about both headweight through the back swing (i think Mizunos are light, which I like), and also grip (I love the stock grips on mizunos)?

I'm looking for a 50 degree to go with my 56 and 60, both of which have spinners and mizuno grips installed. Would I be better off just buying the new mizuno with the standard spinners? Where can you order the VR with spinners, since I don't want to buy them, then spend another 40 to switch the shaft and grip.

Thanks!

You really can't buy a club based on the stock grip. Grips are so cheap that deciiding between clubs based on the stock grip wold be foolish IMO.

Back