Most stupid thing to screw up your round?

oiler3535

Reaction score
Handicap
Was playing a field day today, and was -1 through 6 holes (very good for me!). Then I got to the 7th hole and was up last in our group. The 3rd guy in the group, who I golf with regularly and is anal about the rules, tees off and goes in the trees. I walk up to tee up as he reaches for his tee, then he stands up and says he's hitting his second ball right away instead of waiting for his turn after me. This annoys me, but as he's already at address I step back.

Now, I know I should have just stepped back, relaxed, then gone through my normal routine once he finished. Instead, after he went into a hazard again, I stepped up without lining up or doing my usual routine, then hit my worst shot of the day into a hazard. I went 7 over in the next 3 holes. Absolutely no reason to fall apart, but for some reason I let it get to me.

Question being, what's the most trivial thing to get you out of the zone? SLOW PLAY DOESN'T COUNT! I mean something mostly frivolous.

Last edited:
Slow play is really the only thing that drives me crazy on the course. It will ruin a round for me rather quickly.
None of the other stuff really bothers me fortunately, but slow play is a killer.

Slow play is really the only thing that drives me crazy on the course. It will ruin a round for me rather quickly.
None of the other stuff really bothers me fortunately, but slow play is a killer.

snap +1

Slow play. Talking. Bugs on me.

Posted via Tapatalk

Slow play is the one thing that really bugs me to, it`s a killer for my concentration.

Bug on the ball definitely rates as a silly thing to throw your round. Slow play will do it, but I don't think that's a silly reason, that's a real issue :(

People talking while I am getting ready to hit. Just drives me insane. I don't think I have ever hit a good ball when people are talking (whispering within ear shot too).

Slow play always gets to me, I lose all concentration when I have to wait on every shot. But the last real example I can give was just last year in my club championship, I was 5 strokes back in my flight to start the final day of a 3 day tournament, I was in the next to last goup and wasnt even keeping track of my score or anything, I just knew I was playing well that day. I got to the 15th tee and there were people who had already finished coming out to watch the last few groups. One of them told me that I was now 2 strokes up!! I then proceeded to hit three tee shot in a row OB!!

I still wonder what would have happened had nobody said anything.

Yep. Can't stand slow play. And idiots who hit into you when YOU are waiting for the group in FRONT of you to clear!

Yep. Can't stand slow play. And idiots who hit into you when YOU are waiting for the group in FRONT of you to clear!

+1. I can't stand that. Like thats gonna make the group in front of you move faster. And to be honest, the majority of slow players arent bad hackers. They are couples groups.

slow play really doesn't bother me unless its raining because then your just standing around in the rain getting wet and cold. other peoples negativity is a major problem for me puts me right off. i loose all my concentration when i see someone beating clubs off the ground or kicking things around. no place on a golf course for that kind of behavior

I hate when I do things that I know not to do -- but do them anyway.

Like I can't count how many times I've been short-sided either in a bunker or thick rough and instead of just playing for the fat part of the green, I try to get cute and cozy one up to the pin only to leave the ball in the bunker or chunk the shot from the rough. I walk away with a double or worse and kick myself for not playing smarter and at worst scoring a bogey or maybe even draining a long one for par.

I can deal with things like obstacles or bad lies and even slow play, but mental errors over stupid things drives me crazy.

People standing directly on my ball flight line. I know they mean well but I just can't get used to it. I'll ask nicely once, then it gets tense. I don't "game" guys and I appreciate the same.

+2. Slow play is about the only thing that gets to me.

The that screws me up the most is when somebody gives swing advice, when I don't ask for it. Or even worse, when somebody tells me to change something about my swing after a good shot.

The newest thing though is when I tee off with my fairway or hybrid and a playing partner makes fun of me for being scared. When I score better on the hole, they usually say something ignorant like "that's because you were a pansy and teed off with your hybrid." It doesn't really throw off my round , it just makes me angry.

slow play and zombie attacks. Everything else I can work around...

I am actually usually the stupidest thing to happen to my rounds. If it wasn't for myself, I would be a damn good golfer! :loser:

Slow play for sure and gnats as I am trying to putt.

Idiots hitting into our group. If you can plain as day see we are waiting to hit than WAIT. Only one time did it almost come to get down time. Guy kept hitting as we were waiting on the group in front of us, he would holler and everything. So we waited for him and his group on the next box, a bunch of 16 year olds. We had to laugh, because they were kids. Smart mouthed punks, wish I had my kid brother with me that day. He could of knocked the piss out of him.

When my dad tosses his clubs and complains about every little thing when it's his fault not the courses

Last year in a comp I hit a good long drive into the light rough on a 580 yd par 5. I had a good line to lay up so stood next to the ball and did a nonchalent practice swing. I totally didn't take into consideration the tree next to my ball and took a reasonable sized branch off of the tree. BANG, TWO SHOT PENALTY!! I was fuming with myself for letting my concentration slip so bad. Took a 7 on the hole, would have been a par on the SI 3 if not for my stupidity. was cursing myself for the next 5 holes and never recovered.

like everyone else, slow play.. and shotgun blasts! (from the nearby skeet range)

slow play is about it for me

Slow people don't bother me until someone gets behind me and starts pushing. It totally unravels me!

Back