Equipment Pondering - W/ OEM Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just checked the specs of the TM Burner 2.0s, and the PW comes in at 45*. While my testing Burner 2.0s wont automatically make right into the bag, I need to start looking at some new wedges. I'm looking at buying a 50, 55, 60 set. I've played Vokeys and Clevelands previously, but am intrigued by the new Nikes too.

The vokey doesnt come stock in a 55*, but I wonder if I can just get a 54 or 56 bent to 55. I need to read up on the other bending threads out there.

No issue bending the Vokeys. They're pretty soft and I haven't heard anyone having issues with it.

Why not just wait until you see the actual distance gaps? Loft isnt everything.

+1 why go through the motions unless you're addressing certain needs and one of them should be covering bottom end distance gaps. I would think about what type of shots you want to hit with them and bounce options as well. Adjusting loft is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I had thought the same thing for a while,today at the golf store I tried the Leupold GX-4 after reading some great comments from CG 13 after he bought one to replace his Bushnell. CG was right, the display on the Leupold is bright red which is much easier to pick up and see than the dull gray/black that is on the Bushnell. Now of course I used them in a store versus out on a course so I suggest talking to someone like CG who has used both recently but I think my opinion might be swaying. Although as I was typing this response I have been listening to a video presentation about the Leupold range finder and am quite impressed, I say check it out ...http://golf.leupold.com/

Checked it out as well and for me there are pros to both but I can't see spending an extra $200 on a display and weight. I play in bright sun conditions and the gray LCD is fine. Not as bright as the red but not a deal breaker.

I have heard that one. I understand the differences, technically, but was looking for feedback from those who've hit both in live conditions. I've hit the RH Tour and the Octane Tour, but don't believe I'll be going with a Tour driver for the MC.

RH: Lower flight, more muted sound. Jrod is dead on when he called this a missle launcher and I wasn't the hugest fan of the RIP in it either but I need a higher ball flight then you. Honestly, once fitted properly I haven't heard a bad word said about this driver from anyone.

DO: Higher flight then the RH but I wouldn't call it super high either. Little lounder then the RH but still that muted Callaway sound. In the non tour version I found the lack of hosel very weird with the weighting. The head felt very light and I was prone to not knowing where it was in the swing. I think if you go with the DO, you'll have to go with another shaft as I don't think the PX in it is going to keep the ball down for you

To fill a gap between driver and 4 iron.......

To fill a gap between driver and 4 iron.......

So I need to fill the gap between my driver and 4 iron. I'm not pondering manufacturer at this point, but pondering the type of club.
What are your pro's and con's between choosing a 3 fairway wood and a 3 hybrid to fill the gap?

Thanks

Wow, going 3rd person....How interesting.

When looking at them, make sure you check out some distances on smaller objects. I like the Leupold red display, but the pinseeker mode on the Bushnell is hands down a better unit in my opinion. Far easier to pick up small objects when they are 200 yards out and quicker as well.

Love the red display and the weight and feel of the Leupold, but having used both in actual rounds, there is no question, I would go Bushnell.

It was getting late and I had a long week lol

So I need to fill the gap between my driver and 4 iron. I'm not pondering manufacturer at this point, but pondering the type of club.
What are your pro's and con's between choosing a 3 fairway wood and a 3 hybrid to fill the gap?

Thanks

If you're trying to fill that gap with one club I would think a 2 hybrid is your best choice.

Can you bend all clubs? My pings are a red dot, -.25*. Can I have someone like GG bend them to +.50* ?

I use Tapatalk.

Yes, you can bend all of your Pings. I was told by Ping that if you send your clubs to them it is only $20-30 to bend the whole set however you'd like. This was last year, when I had my i10s but I assume it is still the same or similar.

Maybe you answered your own question there in that last statement. :D

Go with what you feel most comfortable with. I personally like the SF as I didn't care for SQ line from Nike and the SF is more forgiving. But I think you'll have more buyer's remorse if you go TM and then start hitting it bad (which will happen since it happens to all of us). Go with your gut.

Taylor Made is only the better option if you are going to be more happy with it.

I like the SQ (sound/feel), but not really how it looks at address. I was going to buy one myself but found a deal on a Nickent 4DX Evolver that I couldn't pass up, and I couldn't be happier (they can be had for $50-$60 now, best deal in Drivers imo).

Good luck, I don't think you can really go wrong with either.

Pulled the trigger today - took both the Nike and the TM into the monitor at Dick's again, and the numbers I was getting were pretty equal. Thankfully, the pro at the store recommended that I try a stiff shaft (I have about a 90 mph swing speed, so borderline between R and S) and I just loved the contact I was getting from the TM. The only thing I really didn't like about the Nike was the sound at impact, but I think long term, this will be better.

And hell, if I want to switch, I'll just wait for this year's MachSpeed Black (my driver crush) to drop in price next summer and snap one up. :cool:

Last edited:
Pulled the trigger today - took both the Nike and the TM into the monitor at Dick's again, and the numbers I was getting were pretty equal. Thankfully, the pro at the store recommended that I try a stiff shaft (I have about a 90 mph swing speed, so borderline between R and S) and I just loved the contact I was getting from the TM. The only thing I really didn't like about the Nike was the sound at impact, but I think long term, this will be better.

And hell, if I want to switch, I'll just wait for this year's MachSpeed Black (my driver crush) to drop in price next summer and snap one up. :cool:

Funny thing. I have a SS between 90-94mph and my fitter told me I was a "dead on" regular. But that was for the SF "1.0". I guess what's R and S is fluid for the fitters or mine just sucked lol

Tappin' for world peace!

This is how I think this battle will go:
KBS 90's
Nippons--pretty much a tie with the KBS
PX

And Chunky for the win! Hit all these shafts in a TP CB head and the KBS 90's were the winner, and the Nippons while they felt better perhaps, did not have the ball flight that I'm looking for.

Maybe you answered your own question there in that last statement. :D

Go with what you feel most comfortable with. I personally like the SF as I didn't care for SQ line from Nike and the SF is more forgiving. But I think you'll have more buyer's remorse if you go TM and then start hitting it bad (which will happen since it happens to all of us). Go with your gut.

Taylor Made is only the better option if you are going to be more happy with it.

I like the SQ (sound/feel), but not really how it looks at address. I was going to buy one myself but found a deal on a Nickent 4DX Evolver that I couldn't pass up, and I couldn't be happier (they can be had for $50-$60 now, best deal in Drivers imo).

Good luck, I don't think you can really go wrong with either.

Funny thing. I have a SS between 90-94mph and my fitter told me I was a "dead on" regular. But that was for the SF "1.0". I guess what's R and S is fluid for the fitters or mine just sucked lol

Tappin' for world peace!

I got the 1.0 also - didn't want to shell out the $300 for brand new, and if you can get "last year's" model for half price, why wouldn't you? I can wait until next summer and get an R11 or VR Pro for probably $200 when they come out with the "next big thing".

Here's what my fitter told me: "Normally we suggest 93 mph as the border between R and S, but the S will generally give you more control, so if you're comfortable with it, you won't lose anything just a few mph under". I could have gone with the Reg flex, but I would have had to find another store that had it (more difficult than you'd think) or have them order it online and wait up to a week for it to arrive. Buying stock, I prefer to get it in person, so this was perfect.

I got the 1.0 also - didn't want to shell out the $300 for brand new, and if you can get "last year's" model for half price, why wouldn't you? I can wait until next summer and get an R11 or VR Pro for probably $200 when they come out with the "next big thing".

Here's what my fitter told me: "Normally we suggest 93 mph as the border between R and S, but the S will generally give you more control, so if you're comfortable with it, you won't lose anything just a few mph under". I could have gone with the Reg flex, but I would have had to find another store that had it (more difficult than you'd think) or have them order it online and wait up to a week for it to arrive. Buying stock, I prefer to get it in person, so this was perfect.

I said the same thing, til I hit the 1.0 and the 2.0 side by side...im a 2.0 believer, just not at the full price. But if I was to buy them Id just get 5-PW and get them for $200 less than retail

Last edited:
Considering (eventually) replacing a few irons with hybrids. Also going to be getting some new woods as well. I will definitely be getting a 3 wood and 3&4 hybrids, maybe 5 as well. My pondering is whether to get the 5 wood or not. Does it typically fly as far as the 3 hybrid? What about a 2H? Comparable to 3 wood or no? I am really starting to embrace this hybrid thing!

Considering (eventually) replacing a few irons with hybrids. Also going to be getting some new woods as well. I will definitely be getting a 3 wood and 3&4 hybrids, maybe 5 as well. My pondering is whether to get the 5 wood or not. Does it typically fly as far as the 3 hybrid? What about a 2H? Comparable to 3 wood or no? I am really starting to embrace this hybrid thing!

I saw VERY similar distances in my 5 wood and 3 hybrid; perhaps a tad longer on my hybrid but not too much.

If you are thinking about a 5 hybrid, I have a great deal on one in the classified section!!

Yes, you can bend all of your Pings. I was told by Ping that if you send your clubs to them it is only $20-30 to bend the whole set however you'd like. This was last year, when I had my i10s but I assume it is still the same or similar.

Thanks, I'm going to give them a ring and find out. $30 for the set ain't bad but shipping might kill the deal.

Tappin' for world peace!

I'm at 95-99 and I was recommended stiff shaft. The fitter I went to said lower than 95 was a reg flex also.

I saw VERY similar distances in my 5 wood and 3 hybrid; perhaps a tad longer on my hybrid but not too much.

If you are thinking about a 5 hybrid, I have a great deal on one in the classified section!!

Yeah 5w and 3h should be close as they are both about 19* I think...
I know my old 2h and 4w were exactly the same at 17*.

Thanks

I found my Mashie M3 gaps well between my 2 iron and 3 wood, and I'm hitting it further (10-15 yards) and much straighter than I was the Launcher 5 wood I replaced with it. Based on that, I would say you would need another club to gap between a 3H and your 4i, or maybe consider the 4w and 4h combo I see popping up in more and more bags. Regardless of what you do, you simply have to try them out yourself to know for sure the distance gaps.

Now on my radar:

Adams Black Super Hybrid w/ UST Mamiya Attas shaft

Adams F11 3wood

Josh I'm really interested in the Attas shaft. Hopefully I get to read your thoughts on it. I also have the Kai'li in my driver

I cannot find the classified section!!! HELP! lol

It says I don't have permission to access the page :sad:

You have to be a forum member for 10 or 15 days before you can see that. I sent you a PM.

Sorry all for derailing this thread!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back