TaylorMade Metal Woods - Morgan Cup Staff

I felt like I lost a ton of yards and accuracy on just the slightest of mishits. I'm talking 20 yards if not hit in the center. And if you are not hitting it well it seemed to go farther off line than the other drivers I've tested including the Callaway. On a good day the R11 is very good. I felt like I could move it left or right with no real issues. Just on the bad days, and I have a lot of those, it punished me more than other drivers in its class. I would put the R11 in the players driver category. The Callaway on the other hand is very forgiving on mishits. I feel like especially off the toe, I was still getting good distance. CB I also would have gone with the SF. Now that driver I liked.

That is weird. My "thinned" shots lost a fair amount of distance, but the couple I hit off the toe were high and actually carried pretty damn well. And the thing feels to me like I literally can't hook or slice it. The only shot I really hit off line in two rounds I yanked badly right. I haven't hit the Razor drivers, but I can hit a slice with my Diable Edge that can round the freakin' bases.

I need to get mine on the range for a bunch of shots. I kind of just took it out on the course and went with it. I think it's going to be money.

I'm real happy for you Esox. As I said when I had a good swing day the R11 was a damn good driver. You must just have a more consistent swing. My bad days were awful with the R11. But that is enough out of me. This thread should be about your guys experiences with these awesome sticks!

Had a chance to hit these on the range some as well as play my first full round with the 4 new additions to the bag. I'll give a more detailed breakdown later, but just wanted to get some quick thoughts out there.

R11 Driver: Found out while I was laid up yesterday that the shaft was cut 1/2" shorter than standard. I had ordered it standard. I put the shaft in my existing driver head to test it out in case it was too short to play with, I could send back a new head to TMaG. I missed more fairways than I had been recently, most of them peeling off right. When I did hit it straight, it was off the bottom of the club. I had 5 penalties, 2 caused from the driver off the tee. Just didn't feel like I could control this club and just could not get comfortable with setting up to the ball. Didn't think 1/2" would be that big of a deal, but it was. I hit it on the range afterwards and got it dialed in a little more, but still not sold.

R11 3 wood: Of the 5 penalties, 2 were from this club from the fairway. Shaft is a little light and I could not go at this. I really need to just put a good smooth, controlled swing on this, which I was not. I hit it once from the tee and striped it down the middle. Took it out to the range afterwards, made some adjustments and hit some really good shots with it.

2 Hybrid: Didn't hit this all day, but got some work on the range with it and really like this club. I could get different trajectories and most of them were where I was trying to hit. Love the weight of this 85g Aldila Rip that is in here.

4 Hybrid: Hit one shot off the tee with this and lost it right. That's the only time I needed it. Again, on the range I was able to figure out what I was doing and hit some really good shots with it.

I got to the range about 45 minutes before my tee time this morning and did as much tuning as I could. I basically went out and played a round with clubs and shafts I had never hit and just never got comfortable with them. Ball positions were all wrong and was really lost out there. I'm not sure if the shorter driver shaft is going to work. One more range session and round will be telling. I just felt like I lost more distance and I had no idea where the ball was going.

I'm really glad I have these in my bag so I can get them adjusted properly and used to them before August. The 3 wood and hybrids are extremely good and solid. I just need to learn how to hit a 3 wood off the deck again, I seem to have forgot.

Ended up with an 85, 13 bogies, 5 pars (5 penalties and a 3 jack). My short game saved me from getting doubles on those penalty holes.

I am playing again tomorrow and should be able to get about a 2 hour range session in ahead of time. Will be able to get some more tuning done then and see if I can manage this shorter driver.

Good stuff Biggsy. I feel the same way about the R11 3w. If I try to murder it from the turf, bad things happen. Nice and smooth swings are successful for me.

Good stuff Biggsy. I feel the same way about the R11 3w. If I try to murder it from the turf, bad things happen. Nice and smooth swings are successful for me.
Thanks Double D.

I think the shaft is a big key too. It's alos one of those bad habits of trying to transition from a driver swing to a 3 wood, hybrid, then iron. Work in progress getting the 3 wood and hybrid swings tamed.

I sure like having more options off the tee, which we'll need in August, and the hybrids and 3 wood offer it.

Thanks Double D.

I think the shaft is a big key too. It's alos one of those bad habits of trying to transition from a driver swing to a 3 wood, hybrid, then iron. Work in progress getting the 3 wood and hybrid swings tamed.

I sure like having more options off the tee, which we'll need in August, and the hybrids and 3 wood offer it.

Right on. I hope to get some range time in later this week and plan to work that a good bit. I definitely want to find the fairway from the tee at Reunion.

Right on. I hope to get some range time in later this week and plan to work that a good bit. I definitely want to find the fairway from the tee at Reunion.

You and me both. Good luck when you get out there.

The video finally finished uploading, the batteries died right at the end, and I don't know how to edit video, so the end of the video was supposed to say thank you again to THP and TaylorMade for this amazing opportunity.

I realize I'm very late to the party here, been busy with the family and stuff this weekend. Great video CB, you're little boy is awesome. You are going to love those woods, great choices!

Alright so I've finally caught up on this thread and it sounds like the new TM gear is treating you guys all very well. CB I really enjoyed your updates and it sounds like you're bombing all your BSF 2.0s, I knew you'd love them. DD, you have a really good swing dude, looks like you nailed that drive even though "we can't see where the ball goes" good video! CG13, thanks for all the updates, you're hard at it and it will definitely show come time for TMC.

Belbin, chase down your UPS guy, we need to see your stuff man!

Boy Mark I've had the exact opposite experience with the R11's. I think the Cally Razr line is far superior especially in terms of forgiveness. In fact I will say the R11 driver was the least forgiving driver that I've tried in years.

The R11 is no longer in the bag. I would not say that the R11 is forgiving. I would say that if hit well it it great. The fw is a lot better than the callaway a's is the hybrid. I hit the hallways tonight just to comfirm my initial thoughts. The drive is more forgiving than the 11. The other metals are much better in my opinion. I am looking at 3w right now and it inspires a lot more confidence than the callaways. Albeit subjective, callaway metals just don't have an it factor for me.

I have heard that people experience poor shots with the R11 and it's not forgiving. I have yet to see anything too bad.

I have hit some high on the face, out on the toe, and low on the face. The high face shots seem to climb high and die, but still see some distance out of it. Th toe shots I had leaking right but they were out there. The ones I hit lower on the face didn't get too high off the ground but ran for awhile.

But I tell you, hit one on the screws- and this thing rewards you with near perfect ball flight, trajectory, and distance.

I love the feel of a well struck drive.

Partner, I'll worry about placing something in the fairway, you worry about smashing it 50 yards past me :act-up:

Thanks Double D.

biggsy, how are you liking the shafts? I know you've been a PX guy for quite some time now, but initial impressions of these, how are they for you?

CB, that was an awesome video!! Powder blue tuxedo t-shirt?? Aboot?? They're on the internet?? Classic dude, classic. Dare I say epic?

Great stuff in the thread guys!

I just got back from the range after my first session with my new Taylormade woods and hybrids! Here are some quick thoughts:

Driver: I have been playing an R9 Supertri 10.5 with Fubuki 73 stiff shaft, my new setup is R11 10.5 with Diamama Kai'li 60 stiff shaft. The biggest thing about this new driver compared to the Supertri: I hit it so much more straight with this driver! Out of my first 25 balls with R11, only one of those would not have been playable on a regular course, all of the others were pretty much at my target or a few yards left or right of it. I couldn't really tell if there was a big distance difference on the range with the crappy range balls, I'll have to wait until I get on a real course. However, even if I don't hit it any further than my Supertri, I'm hoping the gain in accuracy will lower my scores, as I've been having 2-3 tee shots in every round this year that either cost me a penalty stroke or put me in a position where I have to punch back out to the fairway. The feel of this driver is interesting...I'd say it feels more harsh than the Supertri on off-center hits, but the ball just rockets off of the face when you catch it in the center of the clubface.

Fairway wood: My old fairway wood was an R9 3 wood with Fubuki 73 stiff shaft, new fairway wood is the R11 3 wood with Diamana Kai'li 70 stiff shaft. I also had the R9 set at neutral, the R11 has 1 degree of loft added so the face is closed. I was not as consistent with the 3 wood as I was with the driver, but most of it was my swing. I was either hitting draws or pushes with this club, so I know that it's more of a path issue than the club issue. I only worked with it off the deck, I'm interested to get it out on the course to see how it works off of the tee. The feel of this club mirrored the driver; a little more harsh than my prior club when hit off-center, but center hits were awesome.

Hybrids: I used to only carry one hybrid, which was a Rescue 09 19 degree hybrid with half a degree of loft added, shaft is the Fujikura F1 80 HB stiff. I added 2 hybrids for the Morgan Cup, the Rescue 11 at 21 degrees and 23.5 degrees with Matrix Ozik Altus stiff shafts. I got the 21 degree hybrid to replace my current 19 degree hybrid as I felt like I was getting too much roll-out on shots with that club, and the 23.5 degree hybrid is meant to replace my current 4-iron (23 degrees). The 21 degree hybrid definitely flew higher than the 19 degree hybrid I have now. I may have lost a little yardage in terms of total distance, but as best as I could tell on the range, the carry distances were in the same ballpark. The 23.5 degree hybrid is so freaking easy to hit in the air, it's just silly. There is absolutely no way that I could even dream of hitting my current 4-iron that high, and I may have gained a slight amount of distance as well, which is just icing on the cake.

One thing about the fairway wood and hybrids: as many other people have remarked in the review threads of those clubs, these clubs like a smooth controlled swing. Whenever my tempo got off or I really tried to go hard at the ball, the results weren't as good. With the driver, I was able to have some good results when trying to get at it a little harder than normal. I've always been afraid of the big hook when trying to hit it harder than normal with drivers I've had in the past, but it's very hard for me to lose this driver to the left. If I can take away one side of the golf course off of the tee, that will be a big difference in my game because I can struggle with a 2-way miss.

Thanks once again to THP and Taylormade for this great opportunity, I really feel lucky to be a part of this tournament and a part of this community. I will continue to update this thread with more thoughts on these clubs.

Awesome video Ary. :D

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on the clubs Ary, you're going to rock with those things at The Morgan Cup!

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on the clubs Ary, you're going to rock with those things at The Morgan Cup!

It was great info, but it seems as though Mr. Dolphin is sceered or cameras. That is a great mix for the Morgan Cup :p

Can't wait to get home to see the awesome vid.

It was great info, but it seems as though Mr. Dolphin is sceered or cameras. That is a great mix for the Morgan Cup :p
Perhaps he's not as blessed in the looks department as you are.

I just gagged a bit while typing that.

Good point!

Tons of early success with the TM woods out of the gates.

good info Ary!

Good point!

Tons of early success with the TM woods out of the gates.

I agree TC(that's twice today by the way). It makes you want to order some Callaway woods doesn't it?

Thanks for the input Ary. Keep on giving feedback dude. I'm sure we will get a video when you're ready :)

Im guessing that is plaguing a few Morgan Cuppers apparently.

Should have been clear in the signup that the Morgan Cup was going to be shown via video, not in a time machine back to go on radio.

Back