First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

You beast! I don’t have the ball striking ability that you do, but even with the Pros (for me) I know exactly what you mean. I finally understand the meaning of distance control with irons.
It’s a pretty awesome thing isn’t it!

But I don’t have the driver that you do. I’ll trade you a little for a little 😂 then we can both have TDs and Apex Pros and our games would be perfect lol

October is being a jerk to me right now. I've only played two rounds because of work, weather and family obligations. But I have to say something about the 21 Apex DCB's I've been playing this entire year. Right now - these are the best weapons in my bag. I've played 2 complete rounds this month and in both of those rounds these irons have been almost automatic. Distances have been spot on, ball striking has been the most consistent it's ever been and these things continue to get me out of tight spots.

Some might call it cruel. I'm playing my best golf, just as mother nature is taking golf away from me, but it's exactly what I want to see and I don't think the DCB's will be going anywhere next year.

Most of my Grandaddy teammates and those that joined in Myrtle know that I'm not the most consistent player. I'm streaky, a few good shots sprinkled in between a lot of bad ones. Last Friday I started my round 1 under for the first 7 holes. I had 3 birdie putts and made one of them. That's not even the most interesting stat though - I hit one fairway through those 7 holes. That alone should tell you how good these irons are because I was getting myself out of trouble with them all day. Last two rounds have been 88 each time. Might not sound that great, but for a guy like me who has been struggling to break 90 all year it felt so good to be trending in the right direction. One of those 88's as on the hardest course we have within 50 miles of me, so I was ecstatic.

I have one more round scheduled this Sunday, however, the weather forecast is currently 46 degrees and sunny. We'll probably still golf, but good golf at those temps is sometimes hard to find. Either way I just wanted to put a final recap on these irons. They're phenomenal for a higher handicapper who wants feel and forgiveness. Hell I've even had some scratch golfers try them and rave about them at my home course. Can't thank THP and Callaway enough for putting these in my hands.

Some might call it cruel. I'm playing my best golf, just as mother nature is taking golf away from me, but it's exactly what I want to see and I don't think the DCB's will be going anywhere next year.
SAME. It's frustrating but it's building a ton of confidence for me heading in to the off season and next year!

SAME. It's frustrating but it's building a ton of confidence for me heading in to the off season and next year!

Would it be less frustrating if you didn't use wrong handed clubs?

Would it be less frustrating if you didn't use wrong handed clubs?
would me playing right handed change the weather :unsure: If it does, I'll consider it

Hard to believe it has been 2 seasons and 170 rounds with the Apex pros. I don’t want winter to come either as I’m feeling more dialed in than ever when it comes to control.

Why did noone tell me playing RH would change a northern US climate :LOL:

Everybody has secrets....

Although, it's no secret these irons are amazing!

Why did noone tell me playing RH would change a northern US climate :LOL:

My view might be different here in FL?

I have an extra room...

;)

Last edited:
End Of Season Iron Review

Well it's come to the end of the year for me up in MT. My first full year with a bag of clubs completely fitted for me.

I went in to this year a bit worried. I was going to have the freaking Apex TCBs in my bag. The same set of irons Jon Rahm uses. For someone who ended last season and towards the beginning of this season over double my low HC from last year, that's a bit intimidating.

Same as the driver, the irons started off a bit slower for me. But as I started to learn, it had to do with a huge swing flaw that needed correcting. It took about two and a half months to fix (and still pops up very seldomly). But once it was fixed, I never looked back. The feel, the consistency in distance and the looks are literally everything I could want in a set of irons...up to a point.

It wasn't all rainbows once I got my swing under control. I'm personally just not strong enough with long irons (see 5 and 6) to have these be a viable option. There isn't enough forgiveness when I need it most. I would regularly pull the 5 and/or 6 on two of the longer par 3s we have and almost always come up short. It got to a point where my 7i was going farther than both my 5 and 6 because I was just that much more consistent with my 7. I eventually made the full time switch back to my Apex pros in the 5 and 6 iron slot. But the 7 through PW....

Magic. Seriously. I've never been more enamored with a set of irons before. Literally the only complaint I have is that they still hurt when I thin one :LOL: For real, I don't have any complaints. No they aren't super forgiving but I feel like that's a well known thing. They make you work for it and when you do, they do EXACTLY what you want from them.

At the end of this season, I was throwing dart after dart after dart. Being that confident with an iron shot is just something I haven't had in awhile. It was an uphill battle for me mentally after how I ended my season last year, how I played in December and even how I started it this year. But knowing these will be in the bag for awhile longer has me more ready than ever for next season. At least until whatever DNevs was talking about on the bus last year come out 😁

I recently traded in my Apex / Apex Pro combo set for std. Apex throughout. First round in the books today and I am glad I made the switch. The 21 Pro's are sleek and sexy but the std. Apex offer a higher launch and flight and the forgiveness saved my skin a few times today. These irons are incredible and I am not sure they get enough credit.

I ordered a set of standard Apex 21s from Callaway Pre-owned. Average condition, 30% off, it was $616 for 5-AW. They arrived, looking like new. Just got my Recoil shafts in them, and after trading in my Apex 19s, it will be less than $200 for the 21s. Hell of a deal, and I can't wait to get them out on the course. Snow coming in tomorrow, but there has to be a few more decent days left this year...

I ordered a set of standard Apex 21s from Callaway Pre-owned. Average condition, 30% off, it was $616 for 5-AW. They arrived, looking like new. Just got my Recoil shafts in them, and after trading in my Apex 19s, it will be less than $200 for the 21s. Hell of a deal, and I can't wait to get them out on the course. Snow coming in tomorrow, but there has to be a few more decent days left this year...

Interested in your thoughts after a few rounds on this switch, I too play the CF19s with Recoils. I didn’t think there was much change from the 19s to 21s to make a switch, like I did from the 16s to 19s. Plus I wonder what’s coming.

Interested in your thoughts after a few rounds on this switch, I too play the CF19s with Recoils. I didn’t think there was much change from the 19s to 21s to make a switch, like I did from the 16s to 19s. Plus I wonder what’s coming.

Hope to get a few rounds yet this year. Might take them to my dads today and try out on the sim. I just couldn’t pass them up with the 50% trade in bonus and 30% off.

I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a similar set. Enjoy them!

I want to see what is next..

I’ve been living on the toe of the Apex Pros and have found them to not be overly punishing. Lots of forgiveness in a great looking compact iron.

I recently traded in my Apex / Apex Pro combo set for std. Apex throughout. First round in the books today and I am glad I made the switch. The 21 Pro's are sleek and sexy but the std. Apex offer a higher launch and flight and the forgiveness saved my skin a few times today. These irons are incredible and I am not sure they get enough credit.
I did the same last season and glad I did for the same reasons. Liked them so much I just upgraded to a set of the black ones!

End Of Season Iron Review

Well it's come to the end of the year for me up in MT. My first full year with a bag of clubs completely fitted for me.

I went in to this year a bit worried. I was going to have the freaking Apex TCBs in my bag. The same set of irons Jon Rahm uses. For someone who ended last season and towards the beginning of this season over double my low HC from last year, that's a bit intimidating.

Same as the driver, the irons started off a bit slower for me. But as I started to learn, it had to do with a huge swing flaw that needed correcting. It took about two and a half months to fix (and still pops up very seldomly). But once it was fixed, I never looked back. The feel, the consistency in distance and the looks are literally everything I could want in a set of irons...up to a point.

It wasn't all rainbows once I got my swing under control. I'm personally just not strong enough with long irons (see 5 and 6) to have these be a viable option. There isn't enough forgiveness when I need it most. I would regularly pull the 5 and/or 6 on two of the longer par 3s we have and almost always come up short. It got to a point where my 7i was going farther than both my 5 and 6 because I was just that much more consistent with my 7. I eventually made the full time switch back to my Apex pros in the 5 and 6 iron slot. But the 7 through PW....

Magic. Seriously. I've never been more enamored with a set of irons before. Literally the only complaint I have is that they still hurt when I thin one :LOL: For real, I don't have any complaints. No they aren't super forgiving but I feel like that's a well known thing. They make you work for it and when you do, they do EXACTLY what you want from them.

At the end of this season, I was throwing dart after dart after dart. Being that confident with an iron shot is just something I haven't had in awhile. It was an uphill battle for me mentally after how I ended my season last year, how I played in December and even how I started it this year. But knowing these will be in the bag for awhile longer has me more ready than ever for next season. At least until whatever DNevs was talking about on the bus last year come out 😁
And they can handle being in the bag awhile longer. They're crazy durable compared to some others. I've enjoyed putting mine back in the rotation more recently. Good stuff man. Been cool to follow your journey with them.

Absolutely enjoyed my first forged set of clubs in the APEX Triple Play this year. They look great, preform well and I have confidence when standing over the ball.

Pairing them with the MMT 95S shafts has been a great choice too.

Just found some *mint* condition Apex 21 5-PW with Nippon Modus3 130 X-Stiff for $587. Someone speak on this shaft. I play the 120 S now it’s noodle like for my swing.

Just found some *mint* condition Apex 21 5-PW with Nippon Modus3 130 X-Stiff for $587. Someone speak on this shaft. I play the 120 S now it’s noodle like for my swing.
The 130X won't be noodle. The tip will seem flexy compared to the butt, but it's much more stout. More like a KBS. Tour V-ish maybe. That's what I always think of when I swing it.

Back