Hosel Rocket... Help!

jag398

Reaction score
Handicap
I've played for 12 years or so and the first 5 years of my life I went without ever doing this once... then it showed up out of no where and I had trouble getting rid of it. Fast forward 7 years and it's back... I honestly have no idea what I'm doing wrong, but it's starting to affect my entire swing as I'm trying to fix it. I know without photos and video, it's hard to give advice, but does anyone have any suggestions? I literally can go 12 or 13 holes and be 5 to 8 over and then blow up with a quad bogey because I all of a sudden just starting hitting the ball off the hosel... whether it's a 5 iron or LW.

My cure when I get a case of the s _ _ _ ks is to squeeze the left hand (I play lefty) almost like I'm trying to hit a pull hook on purpose. Don't know if it works for anyone else but it helps me.

I do that also as a temporary fix. I ended up googling some stuff and found that 1 of 3 problems results in over 99% of these hosel rockets. Severe out to in, severe in to out swing, or not turning over your hands at all and this is fixed by weakening the grip. Gonna go test this out!

You've got the s_ _ _ks and it's a psycomotor problem you just have to deal with until it goes away. Try everything you can and hope they go away. Good luck and I hope you can get rid of them as fast as you got them

Make sure you turn back all in one piece away from the ball, keep that triangle intact, shanks happen when your hands and wrists start back ahead of your shoulders and body. Try it, you can hit a shank on purpose doing that.

I've played for 12 years or so and the first 5 years of my life I went without ever doing this once... then it showed up out of no where and I had trouble getting rid of it. Fast forward 7 years and it's back... I honestly have no idea what I'm doing wrong, but it's starting to affect my entire swing as I'm trying to fix it. I know without photos and video, it's hard to give advice, but does anyone have any suggestions? I literally can go 12 or 13 holes and be 5 to 8 over and then blow up with a quad bogey because I all of a sudden just starting hitting the ball off the hosel... whether it's a 5 iron or LW.

I have had these lately you just have to work through them my man. Hit balls look on youtube for drills with a shoebox to help the swing anything will help.. good luck

try hitting irons with feet together...I know when I got them its cause my lower body was moving all over the place

When they pop up on me it's because i'm swinging from the inside too much.

I get them from standing too close to the ball.. My personal fix is to setup with the club about 3/4 behind of the ball (by behind I mean closer to my body), and then make a move with my arms forward. It usually does the trick for me anyways..

I get them from standing too close to the ball.. My personal fix is to setup with the club about 3/4 behind of the ball (by behind I mean closer to my body), and then make a move with my arms forward. It usually does the trick for me anyways..

I read Haney in twitter suggesting the opposite. Address the ball off the heel so mentally you pull your hands in at impact. Addressing further away I found instinctually causes me to extend or flip my hands at the ball. To each his own... What ever works right?

Address the ball and place a shoe box just outside the toe of the club. Hit the ball without making contact with the box.

Or just place a headcover about an inch away from the ball.

I've also noticed that keeping your left arm connected to your chest at takeaway (right handed golfer) helps me out with center face contact... if that makes sense. A glove, headcover or towel under the left arm pit is a great drill. Really tough to hit the hosel staying connected... unless the clubface is way open. Maybe check to see if you're rolling your arms at takeaway and opening the clubface?

Never heard of an inside-out swing path causing a shank.

This happens when you get the club trapped to far on the inside and more toward the ball ( weight toward your toes). Something else that was always caused mine was when I was hitting half shots with wedge or SW and decell on the follow thru, this causes the left wrist to open (right hander) and once it starts it is hard to stop, I usually have to hit several pull hooks and make sure I'm being aggressive thru the ball and rolling my wrist thru contact.
Check Youtube, alot of good teaching pros now have videos on causes and fixes.

Back