Niblick Unboxing & Thread

I was referring to shots out of the sand where you want to keep your shaft in line or just behind the ball. No forward lean or you will see some ugly stuff. I certainly did! I know several places who use a forward press on regular fairway shots and are very successful with the press, just not in the sand.

gotcha, that makes sense, just got scared for a minute.

Gotta get teh Niblicks fine tuned for next may !

Yeah I like having the shaft almost leaning away from the target in line with your spine angle (upper body tilted away from target). This allows you to utilize the bounce of the club and splash that sucker out. If you're standing straight up with weight forward and hands forward the club will just dig into the sand and the ball will go 3 feet.

Marc had me hitting some awesome sand shots when he was in Georgia. I was not using the Niblick 56 when he was in town but the technique should be the same.

Tonight in my 9 hole gold league was the first time I have had the opportunity to use my new 49* Niblick in a round. Didnt need in on the first hole, but was eager to use it. 2nd hole, par 4, hit my second shot short of the green, 65 yards to the pin. Seemed like a good distance for my new Niblick. Put a good swing on it, bounce center of the green and dropped straight into the cup.

I was speechless. I had been chipping them in on the practice green, but you know how that goes, never know if it will translate to your game or not.

Anyway, I was stoked, 65 yard chip in for a birdie! Used the Niblick for most of my chipping needs today, and was leaving myself easy putts all day. Had a total of 12 putts for 9 holes, and didnt have anything over a 2 putt. 12 putts on 9 holes is a personal best for me, and hoping that my short game continues to improve.

Tonight in my 9 hole gold league was the first time I have had the opportunity to use my new 49* Niblick in a round. Didnt need in on the first hole, but was eager to use it. 2nd hole, par 4, hit my second shot short of the green, 65 yards to the pin. Seemed like a good distance for my new Niblick. Put a good swing on it, bounce center of the green and dropped straight into the cup.

I was speechless. I had been chipping them in on the practice green, but you know how that goes, never know if it will translate to your game or not.

Anyway, I was stoked, 65 yard chip in for a birdie! Used the Niblick for most of my chipping needs today, and was leaving myself easy putts all day. Had a total of 12 putts for 9 holes, and didnt have anything over a 2 putt. 12 putts on 9 holes is a personal best for me, and hoping that my short game continues to improve.

NICE BIRDIE, doing it the hard way!

That seems to happen a lot with the Niblicks! Nice going!

Yesterday I shot my season low, 78. :alien2::alien2:

After skulling a 9 iron over the green on a par 3, I chipped in with my 49 degree Niblick. I used the 49 all day. From a long sand trap, about 60 yards to the pin I got out of the sand to within 3 feet and made par.

Parred the last 5 holes of my round. A first ever and used the 49 to chip on all of those holes expect 18, a long par 3. BTW on 18 I drove the green and left a 25 foot birdie putt on the lip.

Luve my 49 degree Nib.

After skulling a 9 iron over the green on a par 3, I chipped in with my 49 degree Niblick. I used the 49 all day. From a long sand trap, about 60 yards to the pin I got out of the sand to within 3 feet and made par.

Parred the last 5 holes of my round. A first ever and used the 49 to chip on all of those holes expect 18, a long par 3. BTW on 18 I drove the green and left a 25 foot birdie putt on the lip.

Luve my 49 degree Nib.

Awesome! Glad to hear the niblick is working so well for you. Having a short game your confident in is huge

Tap tap taparoo

love my Niblicks, need to work on distances a little better though. Hit a few shots today that I thought I knew the distances but ended up 5-7 yards short. In most cases that meant I hit front of the green with the pin in middle/back.

Luve my 49 degree Nib.

Dude... I can only dream to drop a 78 and we are at the same handicap. Well done!!!

love my Niblicks, need to work on distances a little better though. Hit a few shots today that I thought I knew the distances but ended up 5-7 yards short. In most cases that meant I hit front of the green with the pin in middle/back.

Did the same thing yesterday. Just about everything I hit with the Niblick was checking up a good 10 yards earlier than normal. Wasnt getting as much roll as I had been the past few weeks. Not sure what I was doing differently this time either...

My 42 degree Niblick is my arse saver out of thick rough, out of the woods, on harpan scrappy lies etc. Great Utility club for just about any problem area you could imagine.

My 42 degree Niblick is my arse saver out of thick rough, out of the woods, on harpan scrappy lies etc. Great Utility club for just about any problem area you could imagine.

If you love your Niblick 42*, chances are you would love the 49* Niblick as well. Based on the poll data, the 49* is actually the new favorite Niblick now. However, since you are already invested in a CG-16 (51*) Gap Wedge, I can see why that would be a tougher decicison to make now. Clearly, the Niblick 49* is a conventional Gap Wedge replacement.

Last edited:
If you love your Niblick 42*, chances are you would love the 49* Niblick s well. Based on the poll data, the 49* is actually the new favorite Niblick now. However, since you are already invested in a CG-16 (51*) Gap Wedge, I can see why that would be a tougher decicison to make now. Clearly, the Niblick 49* is a conventional Gap Wedge replacement.

BC -- The 49 is a great club and I can see it will get some serious bag time when I play courses that required more bounce. My home course is pretty hard right now with the lack of rain we have had in Georgia. The CG16 50 degree wedge is better suited for the current conditions.

Still love out there for the Niblick?

Still love out there for the Niblick?

I had 3 niblicks in my bag in the past. Now down to just one. The 49. I can't bring myself to remove it. Anywhere from 90 in with smooth easy swing to around the green is phenomenal. I mean I just can't get over how well it helps my scoring. Yesterday I had 2 chip ins. One for Birdie and one for a bogie. I think it will last awhile being soft covered balls and less than full swings are used. I'm just amazed how well this club really work.

While I love the 49* I sadly have removed it from my bag....I won't get rid of it but right now it doesn't fit my game as well as it did

While I love the 49* I sadly have removed it from my bag....I won't get rid of it but right now it doesn't fit my game as well as it did

just sold mine the other day, wouldnt mind selling the 42* if I could find a buyer and maybe keeping just the 56* for awhile longer

If I were to put a niblick back in the bag I'd consider a 56* next time....could be my ticket out of bunkers

just sold mine the other day, wouldnt mind selling the 42* if I could find a buyer and maybe keeping just the 56* for awhile longer

If I were to put a niblick back in the bag I'd consider a 56* next time....could be my ticket out of bunkers

yeah its solid for sure, hitting my "real" 56* pretty well, so Ive considered upgrading my 56* and getting rid of the 2 remaining niblicks

The past 3 or 4 months, I've been reducing the number of Niblicks in my bag from 3 (42, 49, 56), and a couple of weeks ago started going out without any Niblicks at all. I've found that for me, what I can do with a conventional wedge on the chipping green just does not translate to the course. Bad lies, hardpan, rough, and the jitters -- it's a lot more difficult to be consistent with wedges in real playing conditions. The occassional chunks and skulls totally sapped my confidence. So I switched back to my Niblicks, and had an enjoyable day for my short game. Guess I'll be sticking with them for a while (all original models). I still need to change my "in the bag" . . .

If hybrid clubs like the Niblick can improve scoring and improve confidence, then why fight it. I switched in 2010 and haven't looked back. Haven't found anything the Niblicks can't do just as well as similarly lofted conventional wedges on full swings, and clearly the Niblicks are superior for 95% of the shots around the green.

The only conventional wedge in my bag now is a low bounce 60* Cleveland CG-14 Black Pearl Wedge which is used only for unusual lies in the sand, (downhill or buried lies), and also for lob/flop shots from very firm or hardpan lies. The low bounce of just 8* makes it the perfect complement to the higher bounce, (14*), Niblick SW, and of its a cosmetic match as well.

Love the Niblicks!

Last edited:
If hybrid clubs like the Niblick can improve scoring and improve confidence, then why fight it. I switched in 2010 and haven't looked back. Haven't found anything the Niblicks can't do just as well as conventional wedges on full swings, and clearly Niblicks are far superior for shots around the green.

Love the Niblicks!

I agree, while I havent hit mine lately, I might be bringing it back into the bag for a tourney this weekend, just too inconsistent right now otherwise

My first post here! Loving my Niblicks so far after two rounds. I have the 56 deg (2010) and 49 deg (2011). So far so AWESOME! Easy to hit approach shots go straight and on target (very accurate). Excellent for full and/or pitched shots from fairway as well as light to moderate rough. Balls bite nicely. Nice bump and run/chips (esp the 49). Working on the sand shots, started with conventional SW swing, but had more success with a basic, simplified swing (no opening of the face), striking an inch behind in medium sand. I'm loving the confidence on approach shots and the versatility around the greens with these things. The 2011 42 degree is on it's way. My bag will likely carry the 3 'Blicks for the forseeable future!

Yeah the 49* and 56* still make me look like a pro- even when the rest of my game abandons me. A full swing about 75 yards out is a thing of beauty with the 49*. I still love the 42, but I don't hit it better than my V2 gap wedge, so it is not getting any play lately as I prefer to work on standard irons. The 37* I really don't use at all any longer... but I can't seem to part with it.

Not trying to be insensitive here, but I don't entirely get this sentiment some seem to have about the Niblicks, where, despite having success with them on approach shots, pitches and chips etc., they feel a "need" or are otherwise compelled to get back to the more mainstream wedges...is this because they believe they'll score better or are we seeing ego at play here? Or is it Peer pressure? Maybe club envy for their friends' or the Pros' new Vokeys or CG-16s?

For me, the bottom line is, whatever club works best for the most shots (versus other clubs), stays in the bag. I've only had the Niblicks for a few days but if things keep going as they are, they're staying. People talk about going back to and practicing their wedges, as if the Niblicks are just training devices or something and the wedge is the "real" club. I think if that same practice time is put into the Niblicks, they'll be just as much, if not more rewarding versus the more typical wedges. I plan on keeping a CG-12 (60.8) in my bag to complement the set of 3 Niblicks I will be gaming in the near future. This will come in handy if I do need that odd open faced flop shot or perhaps sometimes when short-sided. I don't see switching out the Niblicks anytime soon, but if I do, it won't be for any reason other than a belief that I can improve my scores with something else.

P.S. I look at the Niblick as more of a wedge, than a "chipper". I've messed around with "chippers" before...but when I look at the face at address I'm seeing a wedge like club. Since Niblicks can be readily used for full approach shots as well as pitches, chips and even out of bunkers, it's obviously not your typical chipper...again it's more akin to a wedge, so that's what I see it and play it as.

To me, a chipper is something like this:

21TQ86ba-HL.jpg

or this:

I450_big.jpg

or this:

CP1025H5_big.jpg

The Niblick is so much more imo. Personally, I think they don't look that much different than a lot of the GI clubs you see around, with the wide soles and added weight..yes, there's there's the flange but it's not that big a deal...anyway, I'm loving my Niblicks so far. We'll see if I end up being compelled to go back to my old PW, GW, SW for some reason...if so, I will try and post it here.

Back