Callaway HX Diablo & HX Diablo Tour Golf Balls - Preview

I am quite interested to find out what you think of these balls. Looking forward to the review.

I second that. Ever since having Callaway on the THP Radio show talking golf balls, I keep thinking about how overlooked their lineup is sometimes.

I have thought about gaming the Diablo Tour for the Morgan Cup. It reminds me a lot of the Taylormade Tour Burner ball. A bit more greenside spin though.

Alright Hanks, time to hit the course so we can hear about these bad boys. Looking forward to your thoughts.

After listening to the callaway radio segment I think I'm gonna go buy a box of the tours and try them myself.

tomorrow dude....today was an extended range day for me to check out the Boccieri irons before taking them to the course again. but I will post my thoughts on how these at least felt off the putter soon.....

Alright Hanks, time to hit the course so we can hear about these bad boys. Looking forward to your thoughts.

my thoughts/predictions as well buddy

I have thought about gaming the Diablo Tour for the Morgan Cup. It reminds me a lot of the Taylormade Tour Burner ball. A bit more greenside spin though.

I wasn't able to get to the course as planned to give these a full run but I was able to spend a lot of time with these chipping and putting.

Here are my initial thoughts:

HX Diablo- softer cover than I expected for a 2 piece ball, doesn't hop and stop but it does hop hop and slowly stop with minimal roll, very soft click sound coming off wedges, smooth roll with almost no bounce or skid off the putter, not as much roll out as I expected for a 2 piece ball

HX Diablo tour- really soft cover (reminds me a little of the i-series), hop and stop or hop and stop with very minimal roll, you hardly notice the ball coming off the wedges, you can almost feel the grooves of the wedges grab hold of the cover on full or aggressive chip/pitch shots, very soft coming off the putter with a true roll that gets rolling almost immediately off the face

Thank you for the thoughts good buddy. These should be great balls to go head to head on the course. Really intrigued by the Diablo over the Diablo Tour. Just got too much spin off the driver with the tour.

This should be a very interesting review. I am looking forward to it!

Really? Interesting...especially since they're not urethane cover
Thank you for the thoughts good buddy. These should be great balls to go head to head on the course. Really intrigued by the Diablo over the Diablo Tour. Just got too much spin off the driver with the tour.

Great job so far ....Look forward to more

Yessir! I found out during my fitting, I hit down on the ball too much with the driver. It's csting me distance and causing balls to spin a little too much. It wasn't bad but if I slice it really slices. The Tour i(z) spun a few hundred less than the Diablo HX Tour. I was surprised myself.

Really? Interesting...especially since they're not urethane cover

Flatten out that driver swing bro! Marcawesome that swing and I bet you may see some different results

I've been driving the ball the best I ever have the past month or so and can't wait to see what happens with these balls off the tee

Yessir! I found out during my fitting, I hit down on the ball too much with the driver. It's csting me distance and causing balls to spin a little too much. It wasn't bad but if I slice it really slices. The Tour i(z) spun a few hundred less than the Diablo HX Tour. I was surprised myself.

Lol Ill try. I was kinda po'd because I haven't hit it that bad in months.

Can'tw ait to hear buddy! These balls are the real deal.

Flatten out that driver swing bro! Marcawesome that swing and I bet you may see some different results

I've been driving the ball the best I ever have the past month or so and can't wait to see what happens with these balls off the tee

Interested to hear the ongoing thoughts of the Diablo Tour. I value the soft feel around and on the greens, but looking for something a little longer off the tee too (hey, I think I just described every golfer in the world, duh).

you got it Paulo....I'm hoping I see a nice combo of the two within the D Tour

Interested to hear the ongoing thoughts of the Diablo Tour. I value the soft feel around and on the greens, but looking for something a little longer off the tee too (hey, I think I just described every golfer in the world, duh).

This is something I've been curious about with the new tour version. I used the original Diablo for a long time and found it to be a great ball, interested to see where the tour version is better/not as good.

Ive used both of these balls and like them a lot. I'll be putting them into play again here very soon now that Im back in action and cant wait.

I bought a dozen of the tours today myself to try out. I had already played the regular diablos. I really like this ball so far. It gets nice distance and does very well around the green. One thing I didn't expect though, it's not very durable at all. I was getting hairs from 6 and 7 iron shots. Have any of you guys had this happen? I played 18 using two balls on each hole and both look beat up.

I recently had a discussion with JB about these, and I am thinking about trying out the Diablo ball. Not the Tour, but the regular. So I have a vested interest in this review.

I bought a dozen of the tours today myself to try out. I had already played the regular diablos. I really like this ball so far. It gets nice distance and does very well around the green. One thing I didn't expect though, it's not very durable at all. I was getting hairs from 6 and 7 iron shots. Have any of you guys had this happen? I played 18 using two balls on each hole and both look beat up.
Wow, I've had no issues with the durability (discounting cart paths, trees, homes, whatever else I may hit).
Those Burners must be sharp! Very interesting; have to wait and see what comes of this test.

I'll pay extra attention to those then for you Smalls.....I think that'd be a good ball for you too

I recently had a discussion with JB about these, and I am thinking about trying out the Diablo ball. Not the Tour, but the regular. So I have a vested interest in this review.

Wow, I've had no issues with the durability (discounting cart paths, trees, homes, whatever else I may hit).
Those Burners must be sharp! Very interesting; have to wait and see what comes of this test.

I'll get some pics up of it. I was surprised myself.

Played with the HX Diablo yesterday and have some mixed thoughts on it so far. It's a little hard off the driver and the irons, has some 'clickiness' to it off the wedges. I never seemed to get that nice 'I compressed the heck out of that ball' with this one. The balls definitely want to roll out on the fairway and around the greens. The course I played yesterday had some wide open fairways where if you hit it the ball could just roll and roll and I think thi sball certainly does that. The overall distance I was getting was pretty good but not especially longer even with it being a 2 piece ball. Putting with it was problematic as it seemed to come off the putter a little harder and faster than what I'm used to but the roll was nice and didn't seem to waver from the line at all. It definitely made me focus more on controlling my putting stroke as opposed to 'just hitting it' as I was always afraid of running it past the cup. This ball will definitely give you some distance but you will lose some control around the greens, especially if you're used to playing with a 'softer ball.' Initial feelings are that this may not be the best ball for my game and what I'm looking for in a ball but I'm looking forward to getting the HX Diablo Tour ball out there this week to get some more thoughts and feedback on that specific ball.

I'm looking forward to getting the HX Diablo Tour ball out there this week to get some more thoughts and feedback on that specific ball.

Waiting for this one. The Tour is a fair bit different, IMO.
I've played both, depends on the course, and think you'll notice a difference.

Thanks for the update Hanks. Doesn't sound like the Diablo is the ball for you, but looking forward to hearing about the tour version and how it differs.

Back