Callaway RAZR Hawk & Octane Drivers Explained

I may have changed my mind on the FW's tonight after I hit some outside. I really liked the Razr Hawk.

I'm with you bro. The Razr Hawk 3w is awesome. The sound it makes has a really nice crack to it too.

Band wagon! I would expect nothing less! Nah, glad you got to hit them buddy. I think either one is great. Both very differently shaped and profiled 3woods though. I would've recommended the RH for you too.

when I hit it in a sim earlier in the year I didn't like it all that much. But when I hit them outside today I thought the RH was longer. Who knows I may throw an Octane 5w in the bag too. Equal opportunity

when I hit it in a sim earlier in the year I didn't like it all that much. But when I hit them outside today I thought the RH was longer. Who knows I may throw an Octane 5w in the bag too. Equal opportunity

I think I'm going with a RH 5w. I hit that one a bunch of times tonight too.

I like equal opportunity ddec! Go for it buddy!

I think I'm going with a RH 5w. I hit that one a bunch of times tonight too.

I am throwing a 5 wood in the bag. First time in a few years.

I am throwing a 5 wood in the bag. First time in a few years.

Same here. Can't remember the last time had one in the bag.

I was thinking the same thing since I seem to sweep the ball more than dig. I think thats why I'm struggling with the hybrids.

Was going to put a new thread on, but then found this one. I pulled the trigger on a Diablo Octane Black last night and I'm loving it. I tend to get verbal diarrhea when I talk about things (!) so the short version is I tried it alongside some others, it was waaaay better for me than any other driver I tried, I'm getting a lovely ball flight off the tee, and the club looks and sounds great too.

Went to my local range and shop last night looking to buy a new 3 wood for off the tee as I'm currently gaming an old TaylorMade "Titanium" but it's not really working for me. I haven't been using a driver because I was advised at the start to stay away from one until I'd been playing 3 years - I've now been playing just under 2. The guy fitting me has given me lessons before so knows my swing very well and told me straight up I should be using a driver. I wasn't convinced so he advised me to try a driver in 13.5* loft, giving me the benefit of larger head size, but a loft close to a 3 wood. If that didn't work he'd fit me for a 3 wood.

Going for a 13.5* loft seriously cut down my choices, but I tried the Ping G15, TaylorMade Superfast 2.0 and the Diablo Octane Black. We were hitting these on an outdoor driving range so I went with visual ball flight results and have no launch monitor numbers. The G15 felt horrible no matter what shaft he put in there, so I discounted that fairly quick - it just felt "dead" at ball contact and I had slices going with every shot. Next came the Octane Black in the stock shaft and it was night and day compared to the Ping - straight, penetrating ball flight with a baby fade (5-10 yards) and great carry. I hit the 200 yard marker twice in a row on the carry, and know that's correct yardage because I had someone in the next bay to me last week checking the distances with a laser ranger. Finally tried the TM Superfast and quite liked it, but just wasn't quite as good as the Octane.

So in the end I went with the Diablo Octane Black with the stock Project X-6E7 60g regular flex shaft. The club looks great and the window in to the forged composite area on the crown is nice without being distracting. It feels great in the hands, nice and light, but you can still feel where you are with it during the swing. It has a good sound, crisp without being tinny or deafening loud, and I can tell if I haven't hit it square out of the face. As I've said, ball flight it good and I'm getting nowhere near as much slice as I did with my 3 wood, although that started to creep in at the end of the session when I got tired.

So, for any high handicapper out there who's thinking about a new driver, I'd thoroughly recommend giving this one a try. I'm on 28 and still haven't yet played to handicap, so I've got a decent swing but certainly not fast. With that said, I was easily getting 200 yards carry with this club and a decent rollout, although it was difficult to judge properly at that distance. I'll be going back tonight to get more practice, then on the course on Sunday, so if anyone's interested I'll report back later.

I had to do it. Octane Tour en route due to the awesome sale Golftown is having coupled with my excellent experience. Congrats Callaway, you guys are winning me back in a big way

Does anyone know if it's possible to get the same (but heavier) PX Tour in the fairway wood?

Awesome feedback bob! So tuna, can we get some sick video and pictures when it shows up?

Was going to put a new thread on, but then found this one. I pulled the trigger on a Diablo Octane Black last night and I'm loving it. I tend to get verbal diarrhea when I talk about things (!) so the short version is I tried it alongside some others, it was waaaay better for me than any other driver I tried, I'm getting a lovely ball flight off the tee, and the club looks and sounds great too.

Went to my local range and shop last night looking to buy a new 3 wood for off the tee as I'm currently gaming an old TaylorMade "Titanium" but it's not really working for me. I haven't been using a driver because I was advised at the start to stay away from one until I'd been playing 3 years - I've now been playing just under 2. The guy fitting me has given me lessons before so knows my swing very well and told me straight up I should be using a driver. I wasn't convinced so he advised me to try a driver in 13.5* loft, giving me the benefit of larger head size, but a loft close to a 3 wood. If that didn't work he'd fit me for a 3 wood.

Going for a 13.5* loft seriously cut down my choices, but I tried the Ping G15, TaylorMade Superfast 2.0 and the Diablo Octane Black. We were hitting these on an outdoor driving range so I went with visual ball flight results and have no launch monitor numbers. The G15 felt horrible no matter what shaft he put in there, so I discounted that fairly quick - it just felt "dead" at ball contact and I had slices going with every shot. Next came the Octane Black in the stock shaft and it was night and day compared to the Ping - straight, penetrating ball flight with a baby fade (5-10 yards) and great carry. I hit the 200 yard marker twice in a row on the carry, and know that's correct yardage because I had someone in the next bay to me last week checking the distances with a laser ranger. Finally tried the TM Superfast and quite liked it, but just wasn't quite as good as the Octane.

So in the end I went with the Diablo Octane Black with the stock Project X-6E7 60g regular flex shaft. The club looks great and the window in to the forged composite area on the crown is nice without being distracting. It feels great in the hands, nice and light, but you can still feel where you are with it during the swing. It has a good sound, crisp without being tinny or deafening loud, and I can tell if I haven't hit it square out of the face. As I've said, ball flight it good and I'm getting nowhere near as much slice as I did with my 3 wood, although that started to creep in at the end of the session when I got tired.

So, for any high handicapper out there who's thinking about a new driver, I'd thoroughly recommend giving this one a try. I'm on 28 and still haven't yet played to handicap, so I've got a decent swing but certainly not fast. With that said, I was easily getting 200 yards carry with this club and a decent rollout, although it was difficult to judge properly at that distance. I'll be going back tonight to get more practice, then on the course on Sunday, so if anyone's interested I'll report back later.

Great writeup. I had the diablo octane for awhile, great club.

So tuna, can we get some sick video and pictures when it shows up?

Should be here on Saturday and I have plans already...

Too bad I'm not getting a Razr Hawk. I had a great idea for a silly video if that's what I ended up with (even the Callaway performance center guy thought it was a great idea heh)

Just HAD to go to the range last night again to try the Octane out - was sat at work all day thinking about it. Got there and hit 2 good drives, then the slices started to kick in and I was bummed. Hit 15 slices in a row, was checking my ball placement, grip, turn, everything and couldn't work out what was going wrong: I even knew I was hitting the ball out of the centre of the face because of the ball impressions. My coach walked past and pointed out my feet were way to far apart, putting the ball about 8 inches further left of the centre line than it needed to be. He said he could see me chasing the ball as my swing was trying to come back inside on the upswing and I was cutting across the ball.

Changed my stance to shoulder-width apart and BOOM!, back to hitting long straight drives with the occaisional small fade. I don't really care about looks and sounds of clubs if the performance is right, but it's nice bonus that this one looks and sounds great. I can tell by the sound more than the feel when I've hit a bit off-centre, but there seems to be good forgiveness built in.

I have the Octane Black model which I think is a European exclusive, and it has a black face which looks great at adress and it's easy to line the ball up correctly using the 2 lines of white dots. Swing weight is just perfect for me and I'm getting a reasonably high flight without ballooning (remember this is a 13.5* loft driver) and a decent roll-out afterwards. I'm not the fastest swinger in the world, but I know I can get 200-210 yards carry, and what looks to be 30ish yards roll-out at the end (difficult to tell on the driving range due to fore-shortening of the view at that distance and the grass isn't cut down to fairway length at that point), so I guess I'll be hitting in the 230-250 yd range on the course. That's a bit advantage to me as I've been hitting 170-200 with my 3 wood (depending on which way I'm hitting on the hill) but I've been slicing that a lot and losing distance.

Going out tonight for 5-10 holes, so I'll have a chance to see how it performs on the course - let's see if I can avoid the trees that my 3 wood seemed to like!

Back