New Harrison Shotmaker

NWS Alpine

Hacker
Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone else order one of these new devices? Basically it's a 4g shaft insert that is suppose to stabilize the tip tremendously without adding stiffness. It inserts down the shaft of your choice and comes in many flexes. It has an attachment system that uses an included torque wrench to secure and can be removed. It doesn't work on all shafts but it should on most.

I ordered one from the dealer on ebay in G flex and it should be here next week. Harrison makes some quality stuff so I expect it to work well. There is limited info on the boards as it just came out. Reviews so far seem to be very suprising in a good way. I will be using my Oban Devotion 7 05 flex that is tipped with this device. I will be comparing it to the nunchuk that is in my 910 now. It is USGA legal when using the grip locksince you can't remove it without a tool. I believe it would be legal if you install a new grip after installing it too. The griplock does couter the 4g of the insert to not change swingweight. Without the griplock the insert increases swingweight by 1 point.

http://www.harrison.com/products/productDisplay/128

Intro from Harrison Chief Designer
[YOUTUBE]U3CLzMUYlhg[/YOUTUBE]

Install video
[YOUTUBE]w2MtaWACZk0[/YOUTUBE]

Griplock install (to make it USGA legal)
[YOUTUBE]WBk7APVRB5E[/YOUTUBE]

Moved over to shaft section.

Thanks!

Basically this is suppose to significantly increase dispersion with your existing shafts. I have been using the nunchuk with great results but it is a very heavy shaft at over 100g. This is suppose to bring similar dispersion but you can use it in much lighter shafts in any profile that fits your swing.

Thanks!

Basically this is suppose to significantly increase dispersion with your existing shafts. I have been using the nunchuk with great results but it is a very heavy shaft at over 100g. This is suppose to bring similar dispersion but you can use it in much lighter shafts in any profile that fits your swing.

Increased dispersion or decreased dispersion? In my mind, increased dispersion means shots are more spread out. A "tight" dispersion would be shots all close together. I could be wrong, and I could be reading the post wrong.

Increased dispersion or decreased dispersion? In my mind, increased dispersion means shots are more spread out. A "tight" dispersion would be shots all close together. I could be wrong, and I could be reading the post wrong.

yes its suppose to give you a tighter dispersion, or decreased dispersion, i was confused at first as well but quickly figured it out as there is never gonna be a product trying to make your drives worse lol

Thanks!

I have a question and not one that is is meant in any way but a ?. I was very intrigued and was thinking about buying,until I saw the price. At that price isnt it beneficial to get fit for a shaft. I'm trying to see for myself if this is a better option than getting fit for a shaft...I will also be looking forward to your review once you do install. Like I wrote it is only for me to have a better sense of what the product will do...Thanks and good luck when it arrives

yes its suppose to give you a tighter dispersion, or decreased dispersion, i was confused at first as well but quickly figured it out as there is never gonna be a product trying to make your drives worse lol

Yes I was going to type increased accuracy but wrote dispersion. This will decrease your dispersion.

I have a question and not one that is is meant in any way but a ?. I was very intrigued and was thinking about buying,until I saw the price. At that price isnt it beneficial to get fit for a shaft. I'm trying to see for myself if this is a better option than getting fit for a shaft...I will also be looking forward to your review once you do install. Like I wrote it is only for me to have a better sense of what the product will do...Thanks and good luck when it arrives

IMHO a proper fit shaft is the first part of the equation. This is an addition on top of that. This won't magically change the profile of a shaft. Once you find one that fits you well you can stick this in it to increase the consistency of the shaft. The Oban devotion fits me extremely well but any little bit helps. I hope it doesn't affect the launch angle too much as my numbers are really good now. I have a high swing speed at 115 for control and 120+ when ripping it. I can hit 340+ but on average around 295-305.

IMHO a proper fit shaft is the first part of the equation. This is an addition on top of that. This won't magically change the profile of a shaft. Once you find one that fits you well you can stick this in it to increase the consistency of the shaft. The Oban devotion fits me extremely well but any little bit helps. I hope it doesn't affect the launch angle too much as my numbers are really good now. I have a high swing speed at 115 for control and 120+ when ripping it. I can hit 340+ but on average around 295-305.

With carry like that, you are outdriving three quarters of the tour. So I would strongly recommend a shaft fit like you said.
Your launch numbers must be absolutely perfect.
Im surprised with those types of distances, you struggle with dispersion at all.

With carry like that, you are outdriving three quarters of the tour. So I would strongly recommend a shaft fit like you said.
Your launch numbers must be absolutely perfect.
Im surprised with those types of distances, you struggle with dispersion at all.

I do have great numbers but I tend to get a little quick when going after it and wonder if this will help stabilize the shaft a little more without changing the flex much. I need to control sidespin to hit more fairways. When I'm on I hit a lot of fairways and score well near par.

My numbers from the foresight GC2 launch monitor:

SS: 115-118
Ballspeed: 165-170mph
Launch: avg 10.5
Backspin: avg 2400
sidespin: avg-255 (range was from +55 to -700 on 6 shots)
Carry: 280-294

I was contacted a couple of weeks ago by Dennis and Patty of Blind9Golf asking if I would be interested in testing a new product they have decided to carry. The Product is called The Shotmaker by Harrison golf. I am currently testing the Heavy Driver as well, so I decided to do a challenge between drivers and between different tweaks to my driver. I went to a local (about 1 1/2 hours away) course that has a bunch of Trackmans set up. I had a bunch of variables that I wanted to test so this was a great opportunity. I included a key along with the Trackman stats. Let me introduce the competitors in the Trackman Challenge. First there is one of the most prolific drivers in golf history. The R11 is a driver driven by amazing adjustability and fantastic marketing. So I felt this was the perfect place to start, the R11 without any backweighting. Next, the Challenger, the Heavy Driver. Our love for the Heavy Driver has been well documented on this forum, but will the numbers back up my claims of greatness. Next, I tested the R11 set at 9* and with 50 grams of backweighting in it. (I combined groups on the print out to make it easier to read). The fourth challenger was my R11 set at 9* with 50 grams of backweight, but it also has a Harrison Shotmaker E flex in it. The Harrison Shotmaker is a product that is supposed to decrease the deformation/deflection that happens at the tip of the shaft when the head impacts the ball. It supposed to do this without adding any relative stiffness to the shaft and ultimately, it is supposed to decrease sidespin. With claims like these I was excited to see if it backed up its claims. After seeing that many of my launch numbers were quite low, I decided to try a couple of unplanned adjustments. I tested my R11 set at 10* with 50 grams of back weight and the Harrison Shotmaker and then the same set up without the Shotmaker. Here are the numbers.

5948263662_60c44ab8f6_b.jpg

There is no doubt that I was more consistent with the backweighting, but the big surprise to me was how much more consistent I was with the Shotmaker in. Now one thing to note is that these were averages, so one shot hit down the middle followed by one 20 yards to the right and one 20 yards to the left would give me an average of 0. That being said, I do think these numbers pretty accurately tell the story. I definitely saw an improvement in my shot dispersion with the Shotmaker in, and this was with the driver set at 9* and 10*. It is clear from the numbers that I should be playing a 10* driver, which is surprising because I was fit for this driver at the Kingdom, but I have begun a swing change that must not be giving me the height I was seeing before. In addition to the lower launch angle, my SS has decrease substantially (by 5 mph), but when I was hitting the R11 set at 10* with the backweight and Shotmaker, I was seeing really good distances as well as improved dispersion. I think that Harrison is definitely on to something and I could see it in my ball flight and it is clear in the numbers. It was like the ball was trying fight the sidespin and so a hook was a draw and a slice a fade. I was diffinitely impressed.

Here are some pictures of the Shotmaker.

5948114776_9d429b7b8d_z.jpg

5948115282_0f2068ce23_z.jpg

5948114422_88821ae74e_z.jpg

5948114082_73737f9511_z.jpg

This is everything that you need to install the Shotmaker.

If you are interested in the Harrison Shotmaker I would definitely recommend contacting Blind9Golf. Here is a link to the product on their website.
http://www.blind9golf.com/harrison-shotmaker-golf-shaft-stabilizer.html

Please let me know if you have any questions

Last edited:
Like Dr Teeth I was contacted by Patty and Dennis about testing the Harrison shotmaker and put in my driver. So far I'm still testing, but I do think it helps with dispersion.

Thanks for the update guys. This one really had my interest. Thinking I may do this at some point.

Now would these help someone with a relativly slow swing speed since they probably aren't bending the shaft the much?

Now would these help someone with a relativly slow swing speed since they probably aren't bending the shaft the much?

Yes, they make them in different flexes to accomadate many different swing speeds. Think about when you hit the ball on the toe, the head is going to deflect no matter how fast you are swinging. This is supposed to mitigate the deflection. Here is a chart showing which Flex would correlate to what swing speed.

shotmaker_fitting_chart_2_1300.jpg

I have a slow ss 85-95 depending if i get after it. I droped a D into my Supertri with Graphite Design G series. It will not fix a swing flaw. It does what is says. My shots are alot straighter. Not to mention i'm finding it is reducing spin. I dont feel it stiffens the shaft at all. The shots do feel more solid. Now i want to try it in my 3w.

I have a slow ss 85-95 depending if i get after it. I droped a D into my Supertri with Graphite Design G series. It will not fix a swing flaw. It does what is says. My shots are alot straighter. Not to mention i'm finding it is reducing spin. I dont feel it stiffens the shaft at all. The shots do feel more solid. Now i want to try it in my 3w.

Thanks for sharing this! I totally agree! A bad swing is a bad swing, it won't fix that, but it does make the ball go straighter.

Wow this has me in serious ponder mode

o boy im excited, Dennis contacted me about trying this and i cant wait, gotta call Harrison on monday and find out what flex is best for me, i will update this once i get it and play some with it. Very excited to try this out, i would be happy with a 10% increas in accuracy/dispersion, money back guarantee is just awesome IMO

Last edited:
o boy im excited, Dennis contacted me about trying this and i cant wait, gotta call Harrison on monday and find out what flex is best for me, i will update this once i get it and play some with it. Very excited to try this out, i would be happy with a 10% increas in accuracy/dispersion, money back guarantee is just awesome IMO

I sent Blind9 an email asking about pricing for this product about a week ago, but just realized now I never heard back. I will try them again.

I sent Blind9 an email asking about pricing for this product about a week ago, but just realized now I never heard back. I will try them again.

maybe got lost in a junk folder

maybe got lost in a junk folder

Yep. I'm very interested, and like you said, with the 30 day money back guarantee, it's worth a shot. I want to give a sponsor first shot at the business. I'll give them a shout on Monday.

Re: the Flex, did you see the chart on the Harrison site? For me, I am thinking an "F" will fit nicely - about 105 mph SS with a medium transition.

Yep. I'm very interested, and like you said, with the 30 day money back guarantee, it's worth a shot. I want to give a sponsor first shot at the business. I'll give them a shout on Monday.

Re: the Flex, did you see the chart on the Harrison site? For me, I am thinking an "F" will fit nicely - about 105 mph SS with a medium transition.

ya i was thinking E or F for me

I've had it on the course twice now. Shot dispersion is a lot better and finding more fairways. Mine is a D and in a R flex shaft. Total cost for the kit is like $160. Just the insert is a lot cheaper. This insert does/feels what a $$$ upgrade shaft should do. It's not a magic pill and will not fix a swing flaw. It does seem to make my "slight" slice into a fade. My fades are now straight.

I posted before about the results I was getting with the E flex insert. Dispute really good numbers, I still felt like I could handle one step up, so the great people at Blind9 were able to get me an F flex and I have to say that this feels like just the right match. I had one of the best driving days out there with the F Flex. I was hitting really nice draws and straight shots. I didn't have to worry about losing things out right, which was so nice to be able to aim down the middle or right side and not fear losing one in the water or trees. The only thing negative I can say is that I just don't understand it. What I mean is conceptually I just dont really get how this is really supposed to benefit me, but the fact is is it does! I can't dispute the numbers and I can't dispute the results (nor do I want to :D)

Back