TaylorMade Metal Woods - Morgan Cup Staff

I had a chance to shoot a video explaining the clubs I chose for The Morgan Cup and their specs. I take a couple of shots with each one. You'll want to wait until the end of the video for sure!

I'm sorry about some of the audio issues with the wind, it gets a little better as the video goes on.

Thanks again for the great equipment Taylormade!

[video=youtube;zyc5hpi-g7A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyc5hpi-g7A[/video]

Nice video Biggsy! Looks like great choices there... and dang that is one big bucket of balls!

Update:

Driver: Got a chance to hit the R11 with the new Matrix Ozik, which is an inch longer than the original shaft. What a huge difference. This shaft is exceptional and gave me a perfect ball flight with a tighter dispersion than I'm used to. I could also go after a drive and like the PX, the shaft kept up. Excellent initial feedback on this shaft.

Who thought an inch would make a difference (that's what she said).

3 Wood: did most of my testing with a heavier shaft and had better results. Lower ball flight than I expected, but a lot of roll and good length. I think I'm going to need to definitely add some weight to the club, that shaft just isn't heavy enough.

Still need to shorten my swing a little. I feel it's a little more uncontrolled with my longer driver swing. It's not necessary and something I've struggled with because I've never had a 3 wood I liked.

Rescues: I'm really starting to love these two clubs. I used them in my round to tee off 5 times and missed 1 fairway and that was by about 2'. First hole was a par 5 and I went 4 hybrid off the tee, 2 hybrid over water and just short of green, chipped up and made the 5 footer for bird.

These Rescues are turning into solid performers and reliable. Never hit another rescue that has compared. The Aldila RIP is a great match for these clubs.

Really enjoying the process of getting these dialed in for one tournament.

Thanks again THP and Taylormade!

Nice vid Biggsy. You have a nice swing man. You murdered that last ball, literally. I have never seen a ball split like that!

Great updates biggsy...and very informative video. Sounds like you're liking your choices!

Nice vid Biggsy. You have a nice swing man. You murdered that last ball, literally. I have never seen a ball split like that!

Thanks Double D. That ball didn't stand a chance. Stupid Callaway range balls. I thought about autographing it and sending it to your Cap. :D

Great updates biggsy...and very informative video. Sounds like you're liking your choices!
They are coming around. You know, it's a process and you have to trust it. Everything else has worked. Really glad that shaft issue worked out...not gonna lie, I was a little worried.

Nice vid biggsy, I especially enjoyed the end.

Great stuff Biggsy, that was a very good video and write up. I have some things to write later about my woods after my round today, but I will say this for now. I hit my first ever 300 yard drive today! Thank you TaylorMade.

Great stuff Biggsy, that was a very good video and write up. I have some things to write later about my woods after my round today, but I will say this for now. I hit my first ever 300 yard drive today! Thank you TaylorMade.

In your write-up, you must report how many times your ball hit the cart path before it stopped rolling on that drive.

Just kidding of course, sounds like you're having success with the new clubs!

Thanks CB! I bet that was a lot of fun! The first of many to come. That SF 2.0 seems to be a good fit.

Hey Captain, I see I'm not the only one hitting so many balls that tape is required. My daughter, too. Interesting point you made about shortening the 3w swing. To hit it solid, I felt I needed to be compact, yet also smooth. Took a few cuts at it before an old slasher like me could figure that out. I've probably hit more range shots with the 3w than the driver at this point.

Even in limited use, it's become apparent to me these white clubs are all about tempo.

Kevin

That's awesome CB! Sounds like the 2.0 is working great for you, keep it up man.

Hey Captain, I see I'm not the only one hitting so many balls that tape is required. My daughter, too. Interesting point you made about shortening the 3w swing. To hit it solid, I felt I needed to be compact, yet also smooth. Took a few cuts at it before an old slasher like me could figure that out. I've probably hit more range shots with the 3w than the driver at this point.

Even in limited use, it's become apparent to me these white clubs are all about tempo.

Kevin

I'm learning that as well teamie. Long swing just doesn't work, so I'm shortening it much like i did with my iron swing.

I should buy stock in that sports tape. My fingers are taking a beating.

I'm learning that as well teamie. Long swing just doesn't work, so I'm shortening it much like i did with my iron swing.

I should buy stock in that sports tape. My fingers are taking a beating.

What kind of tape? I just buy the $1.89 half inch water proof adhesive. It softens up the callouses. I only have one that was really getting out of control. Hurt like hell. Gracie had them where you do. You two have better grips than my strong top hand. But that cheap stuff softened mine right up. That and getting rid of the NDMC grips I had on couple drivers i was swinging.

But those freakin' callouses can really hurt.

Man, I hope I get to the course tomorrow. Watching you swing that egg has me all fired up to let a few fly.

Kevin

What kind of tape? I just buy the $1.89 half inch water proof adhesive. It softens up the callouses. I only have one that was really getting out of control. Hurt like hell. Gracie had them where you do. You two have better grips than my strong top hand. But that cheap stuff softened mine right up. That and getting rid of the NDMC grips I had on couple drivers i was swinging.

But those freakin' callouses can really hurt.

Man, I hope I get to the course tomorrow. Watching you swing that egg has me all fired up to let a few fly.

Kevin
Johnson & Johnson First Aid Tape, 1/2". I tried the CVS brand and it peeled off my hands in a few minutes. This might be $3-$4, but it's worth it. It stays in place and does it's job, I never have to worry about it. It's a game saver and my buddies always hit me up because they don't have the essentials. I have a "save-a-round" kit in my bag.

4c650e3a-4e99-ec06.jpg

4c650e3a-4eb3-0c5a.jpg

Johnson & Johnson First Aid Tape, 1/2". I tried the CVS brand and it peeled off my hands in a few minutes. This might be $3-$4, but it's worth it. It stays in place and does it's job, I never have to worry about it. It's a game saver and my buddies always hit me up because they don't have the essentials. I have a "save-a-round" kit in my bag.

That's the stuff I buy. $1.89. I've bought like six in the last three weeks because my daughter never knows what the hell she does with anything. I tried the paper type and it shredded under the immense torque generated by my terrifying swing speed.

Kevin

That's the stuff I buy. $1.89. I've bought like six in the last three weeks because my daughter never knows what the hell she does with anything. I tried the paper type and it shredded under the immense torque generated by my terrifying swing speed.

Kevin
You are a beast! :D

Figured out something with the driver. Set the ASP to Neutral and moved the ball up in my stance about a ball and the magic started happening. I was hitting it CB long and on the screws. Really an eye-opening range session.

Still hammering out the 3 wood, it's just not quite there, it's taking a little bit of a swing adjustment.

The Rescue clubs are just getting better and better with every session.

Just really in love with this entire line of clubs and just can't continue to express how happy I am with them!

Glad to hear things are clicking for everyone!

good stuff guys. In time you will get used to the new stuff.

I played today. Didn't really keep score but messed with the new eggs. During the first two rounds I felt I hit the driver solid, but while the distance was a bit of an improvement, some shots I thought I smacked seemed to drop out of the sky on me a bit. Today I dialed the loft down to 9.5* which also opened it up. I hit the ball lower, and could hit my massive power fade. lol.

It started beautifully. The first hole at my course is a beast of a 410ish yard par four with a creek crossing the fairway which requires a 250ish carry to get over it. The hole runs east to west and more often than not you're hitting into a wind that angles into your face from the southwest. The whole left side of the green is protected by pot bunkers, and the green is wide and narrow. In my year and half as a member I'm not too proud to say I had not hit one drive over that creek. Lots of them in the creek, however. Today was my first day with the new eggs on my home course. I had warmed up pretty well, trying to swing hard and find my limits of control.

Teed it up, hit it on the screws with good trajectory and a slight fade. Cleared the creek easily! The drive gps measured 272 yards. I hit a 9i into the green and just missed a birdie. I had never hit less than a 6i into this green, and sometimes needed as much as a 4i or hybrid. I also left myself in reachable hybrid distance on all three of the par fives. Another first. Unfortunately, I didn't hit good enough second shots with the new hybrid, but was right there. Drove it through two of the doglegs also. 9.5* seems to be much better than having it set on the standard 10.5*. More piercing ball flight, more roll out.

Howwwevvvvaaaahhh....., a tad more tinkering may be needed. While the lower loft and the open face that goes with it definitely improved distance, it also seemed to free the club up to hit the ball wild. Last week I hit it very straight. Today I hooked the crap out of one, and put the, let's call it the ultra-fade, on two more. Those two were way left. Both would have been off the golf course if not for lucky bounces off trees. One or two more, while not ultra-fades, were a little too fadeish.

Next I'll change the sole plate to closed and see if that helps. Or maybe I'll back off the mighty lash at it a bit and see if having the face square at impact makes a difference. lol. I was swinging a little out of control, but that was kind of the point of today's exercise. A guy needs to know how hard a swing he can take before things go terribly wrong. It was fun wailing away.

Did not hit the 3w today on the course. Hit 20 or so on the range with somewhat mixed results. When they go, they really go, but I seemed to hitting them most everywhere but the middle of the face.

Kevin

Thanks for the honest feedback, Kevin. It's to be expected that it will take you time to get dialed. I swear I know the first hole of your course like the back of my hand and I've never played it. For me, I'd never have to worry. Just swing as hard as I can and I'd still be 20 yards short :)

Figured out something with the driver. Set the ASP to Neutral and moved the ball up in my stance about a ball and the magic started happening. I was hitting it CB long and on the screws. Really an eye-opening range session.

Still hammering out the 3 wood, it's just not quite there, it's taking a little bit of a swing adjustment.

The Rescue clubs are just getting better and better with every session.

Just really in love with this entire line of clubs and just can't continue to express how happy I am with them!

Sorry about that man, you'll get your distance back.

Thanks for the honest feedback, Kevin. It's to be expected that it will take you time to get dialed. I swear I know the first hole of your course like the back of my hand and I've never played it. For me, I'd never have to worry. Just swing as hard as I can and I'd still be 20 yards short :)

We've commiserated about such holes before.

After saying tempo was important for the last week, instead I went out and stepped on it the whole day. I wanted to see what I could get away with. I forgot to mention I hit three drives each on the two of the last three holes. One free swinging, one more compact, and one with my hands a little lower but loaded earlier in the swing. The latter showed real promise, and jumped off the club face nicely.

But they weren't 270+.

Kevin

Back