The Fowler Effect

You can then just throw out Bubba then as well since he wears those gigantic billed visors. These 2 styles are definitely not in my rotation but I wouldn't chide someone for wearing it. Like F2G says above, if it's within the rules how are we to disagree with them?

Baseball has been played for a couple hundred years correct? You ever see anyone walk out on the field and play a game with a backwards hat? Some stuff just doesn't need to change. The dress code for tournaments has stayed very similar, don't see anyone on the course with a tshirt and gym shorts.
I don't see how a flat brim hat is changing the game? He isn't wearing tshirts and gym shorts like you said. He wears polos, golf pants, and a hat. All of this is in the dress code. If he wants to wear a flat brim hat, than that is his choice. I don't see anything wrong with it.

I hope that Fowler does well and can get some W's. Personally, his style is not my cup of tee.

So was Furyk being disrespectful to golf when he putted out to win the tournament and Fed Ex cup with his lid on backwards?

View attachment 2895

Is there a fight in here?

I like that the youngsters are following Fowler. Better than another guy that so many followed or still do. I think he looks silly in his outfits, but I'm sure that some people feel the same way about me in my white shorts and bright shirts.

Could be worse....

20090624_Judge.jpg

I hope that Fowler does well and can get some W's. Personally, his style is not my cup of tee.

So was Furyk being disrespectful to golf when he putted out to win the tournament and Fed Ex cup with his lid on backwards?

View attachment 2895

Completely different circumstance lets be honest..

Regardless I am done with this debate. Like I said I dont care for the way Fowler dresses and wears his hat, but he has the right to do what he wants. Just voicing my opinion

Puma was genius in securing Rickie Fowler. It will even be better when he finally wins. He's moving the needle but nothing moves it more than winning. Perhaps if he'd ditch the Titleist gear he'd contend more? :alien:

Puma was genius in securing Rickie Fowler. It will even be better when he finally wins. He's moving the needle but nothing moves it more than winning. Perhaps if he'd ditch the Titleist gear he'd contend more? :alien:

Ironically, they had G. Ogilvy who won wearing PUMA gear. Multiple times I think. And it was rarely discussed. Now they have young Rickie, who has not really been to relevant, and it is popular as ever. It goes to show, that charima moves the needle as much as winning sometimes.

If Cobra could get him, they'd be set.

Ironically, they had G. Ogilvy who won wearing PUMA gear. Multiple times I think. And it was rarely discussed. Now they have young Rickie, who has not really been to relevant, and it is popular as ever. It goes to show, that charima moves the needle as much as winning sometimes.

Or the fact that Rickie is an American. American's for the most part like American's. And you're right, Geoff Ogilvy has as much personality as hairy dophin

Ogilvy's Puma gear was not nearly as loud as Rickie's. Other than his look, I don't get the attraction Rickie garners. He isn't out there contending every week, his personality seems to be in his clothes/look, he just doesn't seem to have any spark like tiger, Sergio, or Rory. Until he wins, he's just another guy who is "the future of American golf".

Or they found someone young an are waiting for him to win. Just like Nike and tiger. I will say being a rickie fan and seeing the way he plays. He will never be as good as tiger/Phil but his name will be as big due to his dressing and I don't think I like that. I want him to win but he is still way too young. I think puma secured him for good just like Nike has tiger and callaway has Phil. Pumas just waiting for rickie to bloom

Or they found someone young an are waiting for him to win. Just like Nike and tiger. I will say being a rickie fan and seeing the way he plays. He will never be as good as tiger/Phil but his name will be as big due to his dressing and I don't think I like that. I want him to win but he is still way too young. I think puma secured him for good just like Nike has tiger and callaway has Phil. Pumas just waiting for rickie to bloom

Couple of things.
Nike did not wait for Tiger to win.
And there is no way that his name will be anywhere close to what Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson are in terms of golf, marketing, media, money or anything else.
You are talking about two once in a lifetime golfers and what their names mean to the game and the companies that they partner with.

Also, when does Rickie stop being 'too young'? Same time as Rory? From what I can gather, he's hyped to a level where he's expected to win, and soon. If he doesn't win in the next year or so, does that lessen the appeal to the younger generation?

But what if he doesn't win? How long do they wait until they focus on someone young and new?

Couple of things.
Nike did not wait for Tiger to win.
And there is no way that his name will be anywhere close to what Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson are in terms of golf, marketing, media, money or anything else.
You are talking about two once in a lifetime golfers and what their names mean to the game and the companies that they partner with.

+1 he hasn't won anything. Let him get a couple majors under his belt and see what people think of him then.

I also agree with paulo.. He cant be young forever. He needs to win something big soon

Agreed. Tiger dresses very classy. Regardless of his off the course issues he always looked like a golfer. Ricker fowler looks like a stoner who just left the surf shack. Like I said curve the hat and cut the hair and maybe I will gain some respect for him.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Ricky wears orange on Sunday as a nod to his college, OK STATE. am I wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, when does Rickie stop being 'too young'? Same time as Rory? From what I can gather, he's hyped to a level where he's expected to win, and soon. If he doesn't win in the next year or so, does that lessen the appeal to the younger generation?

I would say no. For example Dustin Johnson who I still look at as being young but not his age. Mentally for the PGA I feel he is still young and same goes for rory and rickie. These three guys to me are still young in different ways.

JB,
Of course rickie will never be as good that's what I was saying. Same goes for rory, what made tiger who he was besides his majors was the clutch shots or the recovery shots. I don't think we will ever see someone like that for a long time tiger counsel things that no one else could(Phil in some cases) but getting back on topic. Yes Nike didn't wait for him to win, he was already winning as an amateur I was just trying to make a reference.

Smallville,
He might never win. But couldn't you say the same for tiger. What if he never wins again will Nike drop him?

Originally Posted by TexasHacker34
Agreed. Tiger dresses very classy. Regardless of his off the course issues he always looked like a golfer. Ricker fowler looks like a stoner who just left the surf shack. Like I said curve the hat and cut the hair and maybe I will gain some respect for him.

Hahahahaha. The surf shack? Did he then hop in his T-Bird to drive home and jam out to some doo-wop on his phonograph?

Every time this boils down to the same thing. The older guys had to work harder for everything and they did everything the right way. They also never did anything that in their era was considered disrespectful by their elders. Us young guys are just ruining and disrespecting this game by doing things the way our generation does things (which of course are always the wrong way). If you're bothered so much by what others are wearing there's an easy solution, go join a private member owned facility that doesn't allow the style that offends you according to their dress code.

I don't have a problem with the way Ricky Dresses. (Its ugly to me but he has every right to dress the way he wants)
I have a problem with the way Ricky PLAYS GOLF. I have a problem with the fact we only see him once on Sundays, and thats to have a shot of him in all orange.

Dang whippersnappers and their snazzy outfits.

Yeah crazy outfits never happened in the past.

june_miller3_299x437.jpg

Oh yeah, I gotta say this.

WTF was he thinking when he picked out yesterdays outfit???? I mean, it was offensive to my eyeballs! Man, it was bad.

If you like Rickie and like orange, that's great. We have a thread about his colors and outfits already. This thread should be about how impactful he is (marketing wise) to a brand. Can we please keep it about that? Not everything has to be personal.

Back