The Fowler Effect

Yeah crazy outfits never happened in the past.

june_miller3_299x437.jpg

Looks like he was hanging ten and smoking doobies down at the surf shack before he went to the course. Hahahaha

If you like Rickie and like orange, that's great. We have a thread about his colors and outfits already. This thread should be about how impactful he is (marketing wise) to a brand. Can we please keep it about that? Not everything has to be personal.

I think it has been very impactful and I'm sure profitable for Puma. Everyone talks about it, whether they talk about it in a positive or negative light, and that gets the Puma brand out there. I personally have started to see much more Puma golf gear in pro shops and on the course.

Did he invent the white belt like he did the long putter?

If he didn't invent it he did it better than anyone else ever did.

I am way behind in this thread and outing myself as a skimmer but I today at the course there were two kids (boys), my guess is around 14 maybe and they both wearing the Fowler hat and matching Puma apparel. They were both GOOD too!

I think it has been very impactful and I'm sure profitable for Puma. Everyone talks about it, whether they talk about it in a positive or negative light, and that gets the Puma brand out there. I personally have started to see much more Puma golf gear in pro shops and on the course.

F2G,

although it is very apparent we disagree on this issue I will agree with you that Puma is starting to get big time brand recognition. While not on the same level as Nike I am seeing it on the front pages of golf websites, in pro shops, everywhere. I hardly noticed Puma a few years ago, but now they are becoming popular.

I think Fowler is good for the game. Nice to see someone that the younger generation of players can look up and relate to. Yeah, he is selling TONS for Puma which is great for them too. I know he dresses flashy which bothers some traditionalists, but he is bringing a wider scope of viewership into the game and I think more younger people are playing as a result. He is helping to grow the game in many ways and I appreciate that!

Dumb as it is, I feel too old to wear some of the Puma. Marketing has a big impact on that. I can't wait to try the shoes.

Many companies are more than happy seeing a 5-10% growth which can equal millions of dollars(or whatever the case may be). They don't have to be as big as Nike to be successful, but they are making a move in the golf market due to guys like Fowler.

I said it before, he takes a lot of the lower level events off, I'd like him to play more as that would give him his best chance to win

I now tap while I talk

I said it before, he takes a lot of the lower level events off, I'd like him to play more as that would give him his best chance to win

I now tap while I talk

He does?
He played in 28 events last year and already 15 this year.
That is a pretty good amount compared to the rest of the field.

I now tap while I talk

I disagree. I just skimmed over his finishes the past few years. And I have to say are we forgetting that he was rookie of the year last year and I know this has been said but I want to say it again. He is bringing in a new crowd, the younger crowd, and isn't that a good thing? He can bring in new people just like Tiger did or Phil did and isn't that good for the game in the end?

I think it is. Especially b/c he seems to be a pretty decent guy.

I agree. I just skimmed over his finishes the past few years. And I have to say are we forgetting that he was rookie of the year last year and I know this has been said but I want to say it again. He is bringing in a new crowd, the younger crowd, and isn't that a good thing? He can bring in new people just like Tiger did or Phil did and isn't that good for the game in the end?

I now tap while I talk

He does?
He played in 28 events last year and already 15 this year.
That is a pretty good amount compared to the rest of the field.

I agree. I just skimmed over his finishes the past few years. And I have to say are we forgetting that he was rookie of the year last year and I know this has been said but I want to say it again. He is bringing in a new crowd, the younger crowd, and isn't that a good thing? He can bring in new people just like Tiger did or Phil did and isn't that good for the game in the end?

I think it is. Especially b/c he seems to be a pretty decent guy.

I think its great that he brings new fans to the game. Im not sure that to be the case yet, but I think its great if that comes to be. I think more so than new fans, I think many young fans have gravitated towards him, but new fans to golf, remains to be seen as of yet. However I hope it to be the case.

But the part about him winning is very true. Every year there is a new young gun. Every year there is the next big thing. Few become that and many just go away. As of right now, Fowler is a very good player, but no where near a great player. Will he turn into one? Perhaps. I would like to see that. But the thought that he just did not play in enough events or his wins are right around the corner, are just not the case. He played more than most and is on pace to pass that mark this year. He had a chance at a win last year and he choked. I was not happy to see that happen, but it is what happened in my opinion. He layed up when he shouldn;t have and it cost him his first win.

I hope his stardom is actually stardom and turns into something. Right now for many, he seems like the nice guy that would rather be doing other things. I dont necessarily think its true, but that is what many see. Unfortunately perception is reality to some.

I think its great that he brings new fans to the game. Im not sure that to be the case yet, but I think its great if that comes to be. I think more so than new fans, I think many young fans have gravitated towards him, but new fans to golf, remains to be seen as of yet. However I hope it to be the case.

But the part about him winning is very true. Every year there is a new young gun. Every year there is the next big thing. Few become that and many just go away. As of right now, Fowler is a very good player, but no where near a great player. Will he turn into one? Perhaps. I would like to see that. But the thought that he just did not play in enough events or his wins are right around the corner, are just not the case. He played more than most and is on pace to pass that mark this year. He had a chance at a win last year and he choked. I was not happy to see that happen, but it is what happened in my opinion. He layed up when he shouldn;t have and it cost him his first win.

I hope his stardom is actually stardom and turns into something. Right now for many, he seems like the nice guy that would rather be doing other things. I dont necessarily think its true, but that is what many see. Unfortunately perception is reality to some.

Ding ding ding!!!

I guess but, id like to see him play in some events with the not so popular guys, I guess since he's obviously my favorite golfer, I just want to see him get that first win

I now tap while I talk

I am way behind in this thread and outing myself as a skimmer but I today at the course there were two kids (boys), my guess is around 14 maybe and they both wearing the Fowler hat and matching Puma apparel. They were both GOOD too!

Everytime I see teenage golfers on the course in Fowler type outfits they are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess but, id like to see him play in some events with the not so popular guys, I guess since he's obviously my favorite golfer, I just want to see him get that first win

I now tap while I talk

You mean events like the AT&T this week? He is playing.
I think if you look at his schedule, he played in many of those events, but just like the rest of them, he was a slightly better than average performer. A top 20er if you will.

Everytime I see teenage golfers on the course in Fowler type outfits they are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These teenagers around here drive me nuts. Perfect looking swings and they hit the ball further than me.

These teenagers around here drive me nuts. Perfect looking swings and they hit the ball further than me.

My swing looks like crap, but judging from the shaft in the driver I got from you, I still hit it further than you, hehe.

I hope this is true as well. I think he needs to get a win under his Orange Puma Belt Buckel (or hat) and he will keep putting up victories. The problem with Fowler that I haven't seen yet is that starving hunger for a victory; that pedal to the metal mentality that has distanced the gap every year between the good golfers and the great golfers. He is still young and has plenty of time to mature and get better as a player though.

I doubt Fowler is bringing any new players to the game. People may want to dress like him though, so he has surely sold a hat or two. I'm sure some girls, ladies will sit and watch golf with the old man when hes playing just because he is playing as well so I'm sure he attracted a few fans. But all this could have been said about Camillo three and four years ago, he was Puma too. I do think his head to toe orange outfit is actually gonna start to cost him, bigtime. It was odd at best the first time, and to stick with something that garish and is obviously not helping him win Professional golf tourneys is foolish. "We're not in Kansas anymore toto"

PS. I was wrong about the Puma part, Camillo wasn't a puma sponsee, sorry.

Last edited:
But all this could have been said about Camillo three and four years ago, he was Puma too.

Either I am losing my mind and memory, or something else is going on. Camilo was sponsored by Puma? Before JL?

i agree, but he could of played last week, i didnt see a reason for him not to.. not like he made the cut so he had extra days off

Either I am losing my mind and memory, or something else is going on. Camilo was sponsored by Puma? Before JL?
I thought so, I thought he was a puma/cobra guy. I remember him wearing the Puma painters hat somewhere. Am I misremembering-wrong?

Back