Adams Redline Irons Review

9i, one thing you should keep in mind is that you are hitting off of mats. The only place I can consistently hit a draw or a nasty hook is off of a mat. I have no idea why, but my swing makes the ball react completely different off of mats. So much so, that I don't even look at ball flight when I warm up on mats. I just try to make sure I'm hitting the ball clean.

That sucks for testing, though. Is there a way that you could tee up the ball and hit the irons that way? It's not perfect, but maybe you'll get a better idea how straight (or not) you are hitting the ball.

As for the hybrids, I'm sorry to say that I feel the same way. They just don't do anything for me at all.

You know, I never thought of it, but you could be very right about the mat thing. All my range time lately has been off a mat, and I have been more prone to pull or hook the ball with my long irons. I'll try to get a tee in there to see that way.

Yeah, the hybrids just weren't good. I wanted to like them, but they seem like they don't want to like me. Worse come to worse, I just wouldn't play them.

If you end up liking the irons, you cant just have them order you a set that doesn't have the hybrids. I can pull the ball anywhere, but I generally don't hook (or draw to a lesser extent) unless I'm on mats. Like I said, I have no clue why, but it happens every time.

If you end up liking the irons, you cant just have them order you a set that doesn't have the hybrids. I can pull the ball anywhere, but I generally don't hook (or draw to a lesser extent) unless I'm on mats. Like I said, I have no clue why, but it happens every time.

Yeah, I just might do that. I could just maybe go with the mixed set too as 5-PW would fit in my existing setup pretty nicely. I've got options, which is good. Now we enter pondering mode!

Yeah, I just might do that. I could just maybe go with the mixed set too as 5-PW would fit in my existing setup pretty nicely. I've got options, which is good. Now we enter pondering mode!

The 6 iron is sort of creeping into my 5h - 6iron gap due to the extra length, but not badly. This is a 5 iron I'd probably game and I'm not always a fan of 5 irons.

The 6 iron is sort of creeping into my 5h - 6iron gap due to the extra length, but not badly. This is a 5 iron I'd probably game and I'm not always a fan of 5 irons.

I personally like longer irons, I can hit them pretty well most of the time. Plus the added length of the 5 iron would be a big help on the course. An extra 10, 15, 20 yards is a great thing!

I personally like longer irons, I can hit them pretty well most of the time. Plus the added length of the 5 iron would be a big help on the course. An extra 10, 15, 20 yards is a great thing!

You are very correct. Perfect example during my last round. I have an uphill shot off the tee on a par 3. Normally, I would have had to take the 5 hybrid because my 6 iron would have been too short. I was able to take 6 iron, it flew beautiful and ended up about 15 feet too long. I was so very pleased with that.

Got the new Redline sticks in. First day on the range.

Got the new Redline sticks in. First day on the range.

Redlines came in at exactly one week from the day I ordered them. I had only hit the 7 iron previously as a demo. I stopped by Magnolia Grove GC for a range session on the way home. I started with the 7 iron and it had that nice feel that really helped put these over the top for me. The 2 up lie is perfect for me and the GP Multicompounds over two wraps were just right for my grip.
I then moved to my 4 iron. I was blown away by how long it launches the ball. Unbelievable. I have no idea what their colored flags mean yardage wise, but I certainly hit it alot longer than my old irons. Then I worked my way completely back down through the set all the way to the gap wedge. They instill so much confidence when I hit them, I think I could just hang out and hit 300 balls. Nothing balloons, just a nice high arch. I can't wait to play these this weekend. Is it Friday yet?

Merged with another thread on these irons.

Congrats on the new sticks.....man I want a new set SOOOOOOOOO bad!

Redlines came in at exactly one week from the day I ordered them. I had only hit the 7 iron previously as a demo. I stopped by Magnolia Grove GC for a range session on the way home. I started with the 7 iron and it had that nice feel that really helped put these over the top for me. The 2 up lie is perfect for me and the GP Multicompounds over two wraps were just right for my grip.
I then moved to my 4 iron. I was blown away by how long it launches the ball. Unbelievable. I have no idea what their colored flags mean yardage wise, but I certainly hit it alot longer than my old irons. Then I worked my way completely back down through the set all the way to the gap wedge. They instill so much confidence when I hit them, I think I could just hang out and hit 300 balls. Nothing balloons, just a nice high arch. I can't wait to play these this weekend. Is it Friday yet?

Sounds great. Right about the ball flight. Ball just smashes off the face and climbs nicely. Considering the 5I now as my 4H is going much farther than I thought it would.

These are long and forgiving.. If I hadn't just bought the VR full cavities I would have given them a shot.

I've been thinking about these after seeing the 255 yard 7i commercial. I hit these at Golfsmith (I know Iknow!) but that soft feeling is there.

It's really become normal to me now and I'm curious what a different iron would feel/sound like. I'm still liking them quite a bit. The 6 iron and I had a little spat the other day, but we're just crazy like that sometimes.

That 6i is a funny club, not quite a short iron, not quite a long iron. Some would say mid.

Are you feeling that the extra distance is a positive when you look at the overall enjoyment with your rounds? Not just score but for some, it's a lot more fun having a 6i instead of 4i/4h coming into a green.

It's really become normal to me now and I'm curious what a different iron would feel/sound like. I'm still liking them quite a bit. The 6 iron and I had a little spat the other day, but we're just crazy like that sometimes.

Absolutely. One thing I've noticed is that my 8/9 irons get a lot more use than my 6/7 irons do these days. That's great for me as I tend to be more consistent with them. The 8 iron is probably my favorite iron in the set right now. Very high ball flight, but good distance for me. If I could take my range swing to the course it would the distance I'd play to every time.

That 6i is a funny club, not quite a short iron, not quite a long iron. Some would say mid.

Are you feeling that the extra distance is a positive when you look at the overall enjoyment with your rounds? Not just score but for some, it's a lot more fun having a 6i instead of 4i/4h coming into a green.

Man, that's a good feeling. It will come and it sounds like these irons are going to be the sticks to help with that.

Your greens pretty quick? Just wondering how they're holding the RX. I apologize in advance for the skim.

Absolutely. One thing I've noticed is that my 8/9 irons get a lot more use than my 6/7 irons do these days. That's great for me as I tend to be more consistent with them. The 8 iron is probably my favorite iron in the set right now. Very high ball flight, but good distance for me. If I could take my range swing to the course it would the distance I'd play to every time.

Man, that's a good feeling. It will come and it sounds like these irons are going to be the sticks to help with that.

Your greens pretty quick? Just wondering how they're holding the RX. I apologize in advance for the skim.

Varies with the course, but they haven't dried out yet. It's been really wet here so far this summer. The RX sits very tight on them. I've never been a super spinny guy, but the high trajectoy from the Redlines and spinnier ball keeps them on the green easily. I'm actually starting to get that little skip and stop with the wedges that I didn't get in the past.

Fantastic dude. These really should be a contender for a lot more people. I know you didnt like the hybrids but I love the fact Adams makes this a staple in the releases for the mostpart.

Varies with the course, but they haven't dried out yet. It's been really wet here so far this summer. The RX sits very tight on them. I've never been a super spinny guy, but the high trajectoy from the Redlines and spinnier ball keeps them on the green easily. I'm actually starting to get that little skip and stop with the wedges that I didn't get in the past.

Fantastic dude. These really should be a contender for a lot more people. I know you didnt like the hybrids but I love the fact Adams makes this a staple in the releases for the mostpart.

It's weird because I just haven't ever really liked any Adams hybrids. I know they are loved by many, but they just aren't for me. I do think that they are doing many people a favor by giving people options. There are many who would just shelve the 3i and 4i that come with their set. With these they have the choice to buy them (4 iron at least), replace with hybrids, or skip altogether.

I haven't had new irons since 2005 and after playing a two day golf junket I am really considering getting new sticks because I am short with a lot of my clubs. I don't know if it's my swing or the sticks. After many years with Taylor Made, I am considering a change of companies. Should I stick with TM and try to get some 2.0's or go to Adams for a complete overhaul?

I liked the Redlines more, but there are plenty of people who would say the opposite. Hit them both and decide ;)

I just ordered the 7-GW Redlines. I have the Idea Tech V3 hybrids in 4, 5, and 6, which I like a lot. I'm going stir crazy and can't wait to get back out on the course again.

I just ordered the 7-GW Redlines. I have the Idea Tech V3 hybrids in 4, 5, and 6, which I like a lot. I'm going stir crazy and can't wait to get back out on the course again.

Attaboy Sean! Wow!

I can't wait to see them.

Congrats, Sean. I have a V3 19* on order to go with my Redlines. I just love the flight and consistancy I get with these irons. I did have to return a 4 iron for warranty but no big deal. I think I got an iron with bad metal casting. It has a few rust specs in weird places like the top line and one in the center of the face. Adams is replacing it. This can happen if the metal mixture used in the casting is off. These irons breed confidence.

Attaboy Sean! Wow!

I can't wait to see them.
Thanks Jman...they'll go very well with the ML4. :)

Congrats, Sean. I have a V3 19* on order to go with my Redlines. I just love the flight and consistancy I get with these irons. I did have to return a 4 iron for warranty but no big deal. I think I got an iron with bad metal casting. It has a few rust specs in weird places like the top line and one in the center of the face. Adams is replacing it. This can happen if the metal mixture used in the casting is off. These irons breed confidence.
Thanks BB. I'm looking forward to receiving them and am encouraged by what you say. By the time I get them I hope I'm given the okay to play golf again. I like the V3 hybrids because Adams could bend them upright...they are the first hybrids I could get my hands on that weren't too flat. They really are terrific. I look forward to hear what you think about the 19º.

Back