Need help with a pull

TRyan

Granddaddy 2X | GOAT Cup Champ | Gray Bull Bound
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have just come back from wrist surgery as most of you know and had a bout with the sh***s for awhile. I think those are somewhat behind me and I am Hitting my driver and hybrids well but my irons are going dead left on contact. Not a low liner, but a high arching straight left

I think it's a problem with properly clearing my right hip. I believe I am sliding more than rotating. Does anyone have any tips or drills to help me?

Thanks so much

Tap tap taparoo

If you were sliding through you may have more of a tendency to hit a push fade or a slice. Check your club face, its sounds like it closed at impact. You may be shutting it down on the back swing. Little or no hip rotation through the ball will also cause a hook. Just two thoughts, maybe they'll help.

I have just come back from wrist surgery as most of you know and had a bout with the sh***s for awhile. I think those are somewhat behind me and I am Hitting my driver and hybrids well but my irons are going dead left on contact. Not a low liner, but a high arching straight left

I think it's a problem with properly clearing my right hip. I believe I am sliding more than rotating. Does anyone have any tips or drills to help me?

Thanks so much

Tap tap taparoo

Tadashi. I am a lefty so this is all backwards.. My club face it would seem is open

Tap tap taparoo

I knew that..:bomb:

So are they dead left like a sh***k or just a left hand fade? You are problably right, too much slide not enough turn. You may also be getting out in front of it a little bit. if this tip dies work, then put all your change in the right pocket and turn your head to the side..

Tadashi. I am a lefty so this is all backwards.. My club face it would seem is open

Tap tap taparoo

Haaha! Tin cup greatness. It's so frustrating because I used to shoot 80s and now I can't play 18 without getting so upset.

It goes straight left but it has a high ball flight not a short Shot right off the hosel. I think I'm making contact in the middle of the iron just with an open clubface..

Any tips?

Tap tap taparoo

It sounds like you are blocking it straight left....A push is a swing path that is inside out and a square club face to that path [ straight left}...Generally blocks are as you suspect "not turning" just some slide...In many cases people that are not turning but sliding is because you are getting to your "right side late and hitting off the left foot"... for you to turn the weight needs to be on your right foot....Try hitting some PW`s and set up with more weight on the right foot and keep most of it there through the swing and you will see you will turn...Another good drill is to hit balls with your feet close together...you will quickly see and feel the turning to the right...Jim

Last edited:
Good tip from Jimjc. You could also try putting the ball more towards your right foot in your stance. If they keep going left you´ll know your sliding rather than turning.

If it is closed at impact you will have a draw/hook ball flight. The club face determines the ball flight and the swing path determines where the ball starts. My advice to you is to a) get a lesson b) stand a little farther away from the ball c) try swinging inside to out on a dozen shots and then try your regular swing

Back