TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons - Forum Testing Review

Great start to this thread, nice to see the different combos of shafts with these. The shaft setup dubbledxu and Josh went with is definitely one I would be interested in, or with the new KBS C Tapers...

Dubbledxu, whats the numbers on the hosel represent (33, 13, 23?) or did I miss that? Does anyone else have that?

With the 2.0s they were originally setup with a stock shaft combo made for launching the ball pretty high correct? What is the trajectory like with you current setup vs the 2.0s now with the optional shaft combos?

Thanks guys!

Really starting to look more into these clubs. Can't wait to hear from the others, but I will get to see this in action when me and Josh_Ross hit the courses in the upcoming week. All these sets are sweet looking. All of you have some good taste.

Alright everyone, here we go. I went to the range today to hit these babies. I would've gotten a round in, but boy was it hot today. I've got what may be some good pics, but those will come later tonight as I'm about to hit the road with the family for our 4th of July trip. I'm going to break down each aspect of the club, and talk about my performance with each.

Grips:
As I imagined, the multi-compound grips were amazing. My hands sweat so much when I play, but I had no problems with the grip slipping. I had confidence in every swing, because I knew that the club was going to stay in place. It also helps me a lot, because my grip doesn't have to be so tight.

Shafts:
As you have seen, I got the Project X Flighted 5.5 steel shafts. I've been fit for these, but have never had the opportunity to try them in a personal set. These shafts are 120 grams, while my previous sets of irons were 85 grams. When swinging these, I could definitely feel the weight difference, but it was a good feeling. The first few swings I was hitting the ball thin. But with these thin shots, the ball was still traveling pretty far and going straight. This brings up forgiveness. While I have swung clubs with more forgiveness than these, this set has a great deal of it. I got good distance and the ball went straight, and as I always say, I'd rather be 20 yards short and straight, than the pin high in the woods. As far as these shafts being flighted, I could definitely tell. I was excited to hit the 4 iron because I have often struggled with getting the ball up. Not with this club/shaft combo. The ball got up beautifully, and had a nice flight with plenty of distance.

Club Head: Everything dealing with the club head was awesome. The sound of the club at impact was awesome. The feel of a crisp, clean shot was priceless. The black finish is still perfectly in tact after one range session, and the face isn't showing much wear at all. The clubs give a good sense of feedback because when you hit it wrong, you can tell. It's more of an auditory feedback and also you can feel it.

Overall Thoughts:
At the start of the session, all I could do was hit the ball thin. I want to blame this on the heavier shaft, but not sure if I really can. Once I got dialed in though, I was very impressed with the clubs. As I mentioned earlier, the feel, sound, and look of the clubs is outstanding. So far, this set of clubs is working great for me. During my next session, I will focus more on workability. This is all for now. Sorry for the brevity, but my family is about to pull out and leave me. I hope to have pictures and maybe some more details tonight. Please post questions or comments so I can address them.

Great job guys, The reviews are beginning to come in nicely. Good luck to all the testers. Look forward to more...

The more I look at these, the more it grows on me... And I thought they were hideous the first time I saw them.

Dubbledxu, whats the numbers on the hosel represent (33, 13, 23?) or did I miss that? Does anyone else have that?

With the 2.0s they were originally setup with a stock shaft combo made for launching the ball pretty high correct? What is the trajectory like with you current setup vs the 2.0s now with the optional shaft combos?

I'm not sure what the 13, 23, 33 represent. Does anyone else have these on their hosels? Mine were wrapped in plastic when I got them, not sure if that means they came off the line, out of a truck, etc.

13 - 7, 9, PW
23 - 6, 8
33 - 4, 5, SW

The trajectory of the PX's were not noticebly higher or lower on well struck shots, but it was more consistent. I will try to get my buddie's demo 6 iron (stock stiff shaft) and see how that shaft trajectory compares to these. No promieses on this, but will try.

I havent checked the first review thread in a while, but I will be watching how the face wears throughout the next few months. The face frames the ball so well now, I hope the finish is durable enough to let this continue.

Last edited:
Keep up the good work everyone. Excited about all these aftermarket shafts. There was great discussion in the last thread about aftermarket shafts in the last testers thread. So i would be very interested as your testing continues to hear more about your shafts and how they help the ball flight.

My hosels all said 13 on them from what I remember. I'll make sure to check when I'm back home.

Tappin' away from my DROIDX.

I finally received mine today after picking them up from the office at my apartment complex.

Initial visual impressions:
Always cool to see a box from any golf manufacturer that says "custom". After opening the box, I noticed the packaging was done very well as to completely prevent any sort of chatter between the clubs. I carefully took them out one by one and looked them over. I will simply say that these clubs are just gorgeous. One interesting thing I noticed was how on the base of the club, they have a shiny part (possibly chrome?) with the gunmetal surrounding it. Seems like a good idea to prevent wear on the gunmetal color. I noticed that the base and top line on these was a bit thinner than my current Diablo's. They looked a bit sleeker and like I could really go after the ball.

I chose the stock TM shafts in a stiff flex. My overall claim for wanting to test these was to test the difference between my current Diablo's and the 2.0's. I figured the best way to test them is to compare with stock shafts since the Cally's have stock shafts. The shafts have the typical stepped look. I pulled out the 7I and compared the lengths between the 2.0 and the Cally's. I noticed that the 2.0's were about 1/4 of an inch longer in overall height. I have a feeling that this will help produce just a bit more distance when directly comparing the two irons.

I also went with the stock TM grips with the stock size. I have pretty small hands and generally all the stock grips on clubs work fine for me. They seemed quite "grippy" and I don't foresee any problems with gripping the club.

One thing I did notice while handling the clubs was when I would touch the head in the gunmetal part, there would be a smudge left on the finish that didn't want to come off easily. Not sure how this would effect anything but I thought that I should note it.

And now the part everyone is waiting for....Pictures!!! (I took these with my phone, hopefully they aren't too bad...)

mFZJT.jpg

PBodB.jpg

uVOVq.jpg

D0Vuf.jpg

9vHfx.jpg

ZYda1.jpg

R7rwa.jpg

kOmp5.jpg

VSoXM.jpg

SQMN7.jpg

zkfTi.jpg

I am itching to get out to hit these!! I'm visiting some family and friends for the 4th so we will see when I'm able to get out. (Hopefully monday!)

good stuff guys, im really wanting to hit these bad boys on course

Great pictures. Like the grips you got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone hit these in both the stock shaft (which I know well) and any of these different choices (Project X, KBS, or DG S300s)? I know Dubble was going to try to get his hands on a stock demo to compare. I'm curious if some of the distance is tempered by these other sets, or if the technology designed into the head/shaft combination is negated by switching to a different shaft.

I've gamed these in the stock stiff shaft since October, and love them, but am curious about the effect other shafts would have.

Has anyone hit these in both the stock shaft (which I know well) and any of these different choices (Project X, KBS, or DG S300s)? I know Dubble was going to try to get his hands on a stock demo to compare. I'm curious if some of the distance is tempered by these other sets, or if the technology designed into the head/shaft combination is negated by switching to a different shaft.

I've gamed these in the stock stiff shaft since October, and love them, but am curious about the effect other shafts would have.

I have ad, but not on the same day. I will in the coming weeks. The KBS is a much heavier shaft and I do notice that, and the ball flight is slightly lower in my opinion, but I want to hit them head to head to be sure.

I went with the KBS in my TM because of the lower ball flight. I hit all three shafts before putting them in my clubs. And for some reason I made more consistent strikes with them.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Initial thoughts for me on the 2.0's.... Awesome! They arrived yesterday around noon and I had a 2:30 tee time, so I did an un boxing video, took some pics, and threw them in my bag. I did not know what to expect, and had no time to hit them on the range, so I basically had to feel my way through the round. I found out quite fast that these are long! Here are the highlights.

Hole 2: This was first opportunity for me to hit the 2.0's, and what a first impression! It is a 540 yard par 5, and I had 270 left, so I chose to lay up to around 80-90 yards. Chose the six iron, expecting to hit it about 185. Hit it well, ball flight was lower than my R9, and the ball had a different sound. You could hear it zipping through the air. My dad was right next to me he just said "d@mn!". When I got to my ball, to my surprise, I only had 65 yards left. I hit my 6 iron over 200 yards on my first swing with it...WOW! Did I just pure it? Or is this a true yardage for me?

Hole 3: I had 155 left and hit my 8 iron. Again, long. Hit it 165 and had to try and get up and down. I was thinking, do I need to take at least 1 less club on every hole?

Hole 5: the first par 3, 187 yards. At this point I am confused on what to hit. 6 iron? Normally this would be a comfy 5 for me. Hit the 6, too much club! Hit it 205 again right over the flag!

Hole 8: 500 yard par 5. Had 211 left and hit the 6 iron again. I couldn't believe it, but I had hit it over 200 twice already, just trust it i thought. Ball left my club and I thought wow. That felt good! Ball flight was what I would call perfect! Landed about 20 feet from the pin took 1 hop and stopped. 2 putt birdie! At this point I am loving these irons.

Hole 9: 140 yard par 3. Normally a smooth 9 with the R9's. I figure it's a PW with the 2.0's. I was right, put it on the fringe about 25 feet pin high.

Hole 10: 548 yard par 5. My first mis hit. Tried to hit the 5 iron a bit too hard, and topped it. It only went about 100 yards... Yuck. The good news was I could hit again, so I did. Had about 220 to the hole and put it on the front edge of the green, about 10 yards short of the hole. Saved par.

Hole 13: 150 yard par 3. Usually an 8, so I take 9 iron. Again ball flight was high, but not as high as my R9's, close to what I would consider perfect. The ball ended up on the fringe, but the distance was correct.

Hole 16: 300 yard dogleg left par 4. Hit 6 iron off the tee, (quickly becoming my favorite club), and hammered it 205, laser straight, into a 10 mph wind. middle of fairway with 95 yards left. Missed my birdie putt.

Hole 17: 165 yard par 3, 3/4 into the wind. Normally woul have used a 6 with the wind making it play closer to 175-180. Took the 7 and put it 18 feet for birdie. Unreal, I am gaining a club across the board and borderline 2 clubs on the 5 an 6 irons.

Initial thoughts, WOW. Ended up shooting 77. Best first round ever with a new set of irons. I want you all to know that I love my R9's... LOVE THEM. They are the best set of irons I have ever owned. I was skeptical that the 2.0's could impress me. I was wrong. The 2.0's are only slightly stronger lofted than my R9's, (1 or 2 degrees), but I was getting a ton of extra yardage from every club. I ended up hitting every club but the 4 iron and the SW. Just didn't need the 4, and until I get to the range, I just don't know what I have in the SW. I am surprised to be saying this, but the 2.0's have a real chance of making the R9's the second best set of clubs I have ever owned.

When you hit them pure, it is as if you hit nothing at all. Just amazing feel. Mis hits give you immediate feedback, and I could tell immediately what
mistakes I made. So far I have nothing bad to say, I am very happy with the shaft/head combo. I have another round scheduled tomorrow, and will be hitting the range early next week. That is when the real comparison and testing begins!

Follow up with some pictures.

As promised here is a picture of my range session. Not really anything spectacular, just a follow through. Notice how bent the shaft is though. I've never had a picture of myself and the shaft be that bent before. I had great results though, and I loved the feel of these shafts. The ball flight was exactly what I was looking for. The 4 and 5 irons got up nicely, and the higher lofted irons didn't balloon on me and go straight up. I have a twilight round scheduled for tomorrow around 5. Looking forward to my first round with these, and I can't wait to report back. I would also like to note that I'll be trying to gauge distance differences between these and my other two sets of TaylorMade irons. Until tomorrow, I'm out. And please people, ask me questions. I tend to be brief when explaining things, so I'm sure there are things you'd like to know that I haven't stated.

I think this pic is going to upload sideways. When I made it vertical, it got much smaller.
28a5isi.jpg

Really great stuff so far guys! Love the intitial reviews and photos!

Nice reviews so far. One thing I've noticed is everyone taking notice of the extra distance these babies do. It's actually hurt my short game. After using the same irons for 10 years it's hard to reconfigure your brain to know which iron can go how far.

Thanks tomahawk for your great write up! One extra club. Hmm, sounds enticing. When you say that mishits give you immediate feedback, was it a painful feedback? How in general would you say they felt?

Follow up with some pictures.

As promised here is a picture of my range session. Not really anything spectacular, just a follow through. Notice how bent the shaft is though. I've never had a picture of myself and the shaft be that bent before. I had great results though, and I loved the feel of these shafts. The ball flight was exactly what I was looking for. The 4 and 5 irons got up nicely, and the higher lofted irons didn't balloon on me and go straight up. I have a twilight round scheduled for tomorrow around 5. Looking forward to my first round with these, and I can't wait to report back. I would also like to note that I'll be trying to gauge distance differences between these and my other two sets of TaylorMade irons. Until tomorrow, I'm out. And please people, ask me questions. I tend to be brief when explaining things, so I'm sure there are things you'd like to know that I haven't stated.

I think this pic is going to upload sideways. When I made it vertical, it got much smaller.
28a5isi.jpg

That bend is nuts I am shocked and wonder if my irons look like that when I swing?

Tap tap taparoo

The shutter speed of the camera can make the shaft appear bent to the extreme like that

Thanks tomahawk for your great write up! One extra club. Hmm, sounds enticing. When you say that mishits give you immediate feedback, was it a painful feedback? How in general would you say they felt?

No painful feedback, unless you really miss. I'm more talking extra vibration when you miss it by a groove or two, or hit it on the toe. It is a noticable vibration that tells you you slightly missed it. When you hit it right, it is butter! Like I have never felt. With the R9, it never felt so pure!

The shutter speed of the camera can make the shaft appear bent to the extreme like that

All of the pictures I'm taking are with my DROID. I'll have an update later tonight with my first round with these!

Tappin' away from my DROIDX.

No painful feedback, unless you really miss. I'm more talking extra vibration when you miss it by a groove or two, or hit it on the toe. It is a noticable vibration that tells you you slightly missed it. When you hit it right, it is butter! Like I have never felt. With the R9, it never felt so pure!

I agree. I went to the range yesterday and this morning. Both days I felt when I struck well and when it was slightly off the mark. When the irons strike that ball right on the money, you can barely feel a thing!

Hey testers, question for yall. To those who have the A wedge, how does it fit in with the set? Is the weighting a noticeable difference? If you played a traditional gap wedge prior to the 2.0 how does it compare to a "blade" wedge?

My set ends at PW and I'm seriously considering adding in the A wedge vs buying an additional wedge when I upgrade my 54 & 58*.
Thanks for your input so far.

--
tapatalk

Back