Blew up a brand new Adams Speedline driver tonight. How??

RichP

Reaction score
Handicap
adams1.jpg

I was on my 4th tee off today on this driver, which I bought 6 days ago from my local golf shop. I hit the ball normally, not shooting for the moon or anything, and the driver head flew a few dozen yards down the fairway. It hit the ball, I felt/heard it hit, but the driver head just flew right off after it. It was the damndest thing ever.

Is there a known issue with these drivers? I really do not have that hard of a swing, and while I contact the dirt from time to time, I don't typically dig trenches or anything with my driver.

I'm going back to the golf shop on Tuesday, but man, this is a real bummer.

I actually saw something like this happen once with a Titleist driver a few years ago. My buddy hit his tee shot, it made a funny sound, and we both looked down at the shaft in his hand- without the club head. He took it to a pro shop to ask what the heck happened and they told him they thought it was an issue with the glue and the heating process during the making of the club. But they weren't sure. Either way - that sucks man - hope it gets taken care of. I'd let Adams Golf know about it. They seem like a really good company who will try to make it right. Good luck.

It's the worst feeling in the world when that happens.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

I actually saw this happen at the THP demo day with a Nike Driver, and it was pretty funny, first swing with that driver all day and the head went further down the range than the ball. Its just a simple defect and it happens. They will take care of you and get you a nice new one that should have no troubles.

That's really weird but you should be able to get a replacement

Tap tap taparoo

dang i was expecting something worse lol, from the title it sounds like you caved in the face or something. Just get ahold of Adams and they should replace it no charge for ya, that sucks but these things happen

Could just be a shaft defect. Things happen. If your getting into the turf or dirt with the driver, you should have your length checked. Never been there myself.

I'm sure Adams will make it right.

I always hate when this happens. Because it feels like you did something wrong and everyone looks at you like you shouldn't be playing golf.

Might just be me

yeah they will take care of it
that really sucks though especially to play another 14 holes with no driver

I had it happen with the old Callaway Great Big Bertha, Callaway made it good. I just had my pro shop contact them and they sent a new one to the golf course and the golf course returned my old driver for me. Easy as pie.

Wow, I've never had a driver head explode. I snapped a shaft on a driver, and the head with going 20 yds. down the fairway. But not just the head.

Happened to me once too. There's bound to be a few defects of any club out there. I'd be shocked if they didn't replace it for you.

I had something very similar happen with the driver out of my Walter Hagen set last summer. Since it was a cheap set it wasn't a total shock, but I'm surprised hear of it happening in higher quality clubs too. Dick's didn't give me any problem returning it and didn't really offer any explanation.

I've had it happen with an iron, never a driver. Weird feeling. They should take care of it for you with no issues. Hopefully you didn't hurt anything.

I had it happen several years back with a Nike driver on the second round I played it, I contacted Nike and the overnighted me a new driver and 2 dozen balls for my trouble.

Happened to my Cobra Driver..... They replaced in no Problem. Sucks

I've heard that Adams is having a few issues with these drivers doing exactly what happened to yours. They will replace it with very few questions asked. Basically as long as its the stock shaft then you are good to go.

Had a TaylorMade driver do this to me about 5 years ago. Was about halfway through my round, and playing like crap. After the driver did this, i hit my 3 wood off the tee and instantly turned my game around.

That happening made me realize that sometimes, putting the driver away is a good thing!

Wow! I am sure they will take care of you.

It's good to hear this has happened to others as well. Yeah, I did kind of wonder if maybe I am really just that bad; thankfully, only my wife was with me and it was a secluded hole, so the embarrassment was minimal! The shaft is just their regular stock "Grafalloy" shaft that they use for a lot of their clubs. I'll post back in a couple days after I visit the golf shop. They're a pretty big shop and Adams reps (along with all the other mfgs) give weekly demos there, so maybe I'll go there when the Adams guy is there and see what he has to say.

Went to the shop today, and they are just going to send my driver to TX to get re-shafted. I had thought about pushing for a new driver, but a) if this driver is from a bad batch I could get screwed again, and b) there is something comforting about Adams itself re-shafting the driver, and not the Chinese hacks that originally put the driver together.

I know it's probably a thread unto itself, but there is something weird about these club manufacturers doing so much sourcing in China. I work in manufacturing as well, and it's an IP free for all over there. I would not want to make something as high value and whose manufacturing processes are so highly protected in China.

man that sucks

Craaaap! When I read the title of the thread I was REALLY hoping it wasn't something bad like this and that it was a crazy science experiment!

I've heard that Adams is having a few issues with these drivers doing exactly what happened to yours. They will replace it with very few questions asked. Basically as long as its the stock shaft then you are good to go.

Thats a new one on me. I have never heard of that being an issue with any one manufacturer. Care to provide a link? i have the same driver and have tortured it. Hit it on the hozle, tow, even the crown once and its still together. This happens from time to time but its always an isolated incident with the apoxy glue. Its happened to Calloways, Nike's, Titelist's, etc. There is no inherent problem with one particular manufacturer.

Back