Acceptable Inaccuracy?

JR

Reaction score
Handicap
None of us hit the ball perfectly every time. As such, we have to accept that we are not going to hit our target every time, or even most of the time. What, for you, is an acceptable level of accuracy?

For me:

Driver- Rough, but not OB, 240 out.
3W- Fairway, 220 out.
Long Irons (going for the green)- Within 10 yards of the green
Mid- On or immediately around the green.
Short- On the green.

Ummm.
Speak for yourself. I dont miss.
I have never missed.
And only those who are beneath me miss often.

Spoiler
This is the internet after all right?

Ummm.
I have never missed.

Spoiler

You sound like me :p

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Lol...
Ummm.
I have never missed.

Spoiler

I am happy if I'm on the green from more than 150 out and it's not very often

Tap tap taparoo

Ummm.
I have never missed.

Spoiler

That's funny. I'm a 50% kinda guy. Hit or miss I'll find my way.....hopefully

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Getting this thread back on the rails -

Driver - OK with being in the rough 270 yards out
3 Wood - OK with 240 in the rough
5 Wood - 220 in the rough
Long Irons (going for green) - Fine with a short chip/pitch from fw/rough
Mid Irons - Fringe/green
Short Irons - green/30 feet
wedges (within 100 yards) - 20 feet

Driver- 250+ in the fairway or first cut of rough and im happy
Hybrid-200+ and close to where im aiming lol
Mid Irons- Either on the green or right around the green
Short Irons- On the green or fringe
Wedges- No Questions Asked On The Green! I get really upset if i miss with my wedges as its the best part of my game
Putter- Long lag putts within 3 foot, short putts in the cup of course

I really need a iron fitting and im doing it right with my next set of irons, getting the full iron fitting for shaft and lie angle as i know i need more than my 2* upright than im at right now(from mizuno specs 2* upright is what mine are bent at the moment)

I play on a very established course. And as such, a shot is acceptable if I don't have to deal with any trees on my next shot. You can have tree trouble from tee to green on any hole if you are spraying the ball.

for me, no miss is really acceptable, but as long as I can recover, I am ok with most anything... maybe my aspirations are a bit high though

Driver - Either rough, not OB.
Hybrids - Rough or short of green in FW
Long Irons (3-5) - Within 10 yds of green
Mid irons (6-8) - On the green
Short irons (9-56*) On the green w/in 20 feet.

Ummm.
I have never missed.

Spoiler

+1.......hehehe

Getting this thread back on the rails -

Driver - OK with being in the rough 270 yards out
3 Wood - OK with 240 in the rough
5 Wood - 220 in the rough
Long Irons (going for green) - Fine with a short chip/pitch from fw/rough
Mid Irons - Fringe/green
Short Irons - green/30 feet
wedges (within 100 yards) - 20 feet

When I'm playing well, that's about the numbers I strive for as well. I give myself a bit more room for error on a not so good day.

To be honest, in my head fairways and g.i.r`s are the only thing that are acceptable, even though the abilities are not quite there yet. But I`m not angry if I hit the rough with the driver, or are just outside the green on a long approach shot, I`m pleased but not satisfied.

Driver- Rough or fairway with occasional out of play
3W- Same as driver
Long irons- not comfortable with these yet but not too shabby
Mid- On or immediately around the green.
Short- On the green.

I would just like to add this. In my mind half the battle is being on the green in two I put more emphasis on 2nd shots rather than my drives.

Acceptable accuracy for me means that the ball is playable on the next shot. I don't mean that it's only possible to punch back to the fairway or just blast out of a bunker on the green anywhere, but that I've left myself a reasonable shot at whatever the next target is. I don't worry about distance or lie as long as I just have a reasonable next shot. I miss too many fairways and greens to set my sights any higher than that. :confused2:

For me in bounds is "acceptable" as I can still work with it

I have no choice but to accept a lack of accuracy. I like it if the ball is playable and not in the bunker if at all possible. I'm learning that clubbing up is a smart thing to do in most cases.

I have no choice but to accept a lack of accuracy. I like it if the ball is playable and not in the bunker if at all possible. I'm learning that clubbing up is a smart thing to do in most cases.

I'll agree with Hawk, if the next shot is playable, then I'll accept it. As I have said before, my home course has lots of H2O in play (13 of 18 holes have some sort of water on it) so if I'm not OB or wet, then i will take it off the tee.

I'm struggling with G.I.R. Right now, even though my handicap is falling, I am doing a lot of being just off the green in regulation and get up and down. Gotta get better on my approach shots to move to the next level.

To be honest, in my head fairways and g.i.r`s are the only thing that are acceptable, even though the abilities are not quite there yet. But I`m not angry if I hit the rough with the driver, or are just outside the green on a long approach shot, I`m pleased but not satisfied.

I agree. Being in the rough is penal where I play and never acceptable. Most of our greens slope towards the fairway, so I can live with short a time or two over long.

If I start missing a ton of fairways & greens, I'll go looking for our pro to get some help. I only accept fairways and GIR.

I'm never satisfied if I don't hit my target, but for me:

Driver- 265 in the rough.
3W- 230 in the rough.
Long Irons (going for the green)- 5-10 yards off line.
Mid- Off line but still on the green.
Wedges- None. I always expect to hit the green with my wedges.

Off the tee I'll take anything in the fairway (but I do aim for a specific spot) and being in the rough is not a deal breaker as long as I've left myself a shot at the green or my next landing area.
From over 200 yards out, I'd like it on the green but the fringe or even a greenside bunker isn't the end of the world for me.
From 150 yards out, I want to be on the green with the ball favoring the side where the pin is and my mindset is to get within thirty feet of the pin (that doesn't always work out but it's where I start) and anything that doesn't find the green from that distance I consider to be a failed attempt.
From 100 yards out, I want to be within 20 feet and specific portions of the green are part of my planning.
From inside 100 yards, I want it stiff or within ten feet (again, that doesn't always work out but I try very hard to make it happen).

Back