My Round at Harbour Town Golf Links

SeeMoreGuy

They Make 'em. I Buy 'em.
Reaction score
THP'ers:

Just thought I would share a bit of my experience from my round yesterday at Harbour Town Golf Links down in Hilton Head, SC. It was my first time playing there I must say everyone treated me exceptionally well. The round started with introductions to my forecaddie. Interesting fellow, Kevin the Caddie. We hit it off immediately as I had spent a good bit of time in the area of the country he was from. I stated off with a few putts on the putting green and quickly discovered these greens would be challenging. My session at the driving range went well and soon we were off with two other golfers. I really liked the atmosphere at the first tee. The strarter was in full kilt attaire and made introductions of all players.

Next we were off and playing. My first tee shot was straight down the middle which helped ease those early round jitters. Played Bogey golf on the front and carded a 45. Good new is I had one birdie on #7. Flag was playing 132 out and I dropped a shot within one foot. That felt great.

The back nine was still good, despite two doubles and ended up with a 46. One of the highlights was the infamous #18 hole with the lighthouse on it. I hit a drive a bit left, but still over the marsh and landed just past the palm tree on the left side of the course. Kevin measured me at 190 yards out from the flag. I decided to hit a hybrid towards the fairway and not even attempt to go over the mash to the flag. I hit an absolutely beautiful shot that went about 170 yards and landed softely in the middle of fairway. I still had 40 yards and chose a LW. Hit it poorly and ended up in the bunker. Used the LW again out of the sand and landed a great shot that rolled about 3 ft. from hole. Made my bogey putt and felt good about it. What amazed me was how small this green actually was and if you hit too long or miss it your ball is in the water. This made me realy think about the tour players and how nervous (I would be) if I was trying to drive that small green in two shots. We joked that I paid for this round and I was nervous; just imaging how they feel with a million bucks on the line.

Great course and I highly recommend you put it on your must play list.

Here are a couple of shots of #18.

Happy Fourth!!

From the Tee Box on #18
IMG_1858.jpg

The Lighthouse
IMG_1862.jpg

One of the Par 3's
IMG_1857.jpg

WOW! What an amazing course. I go to Hilton Head twice every summer, and I still haven't played this one yet!

Good round, SMG! I've played Harvour Town a lot. On my Links video game!

Good round, SMG! I've played Harvour Town a lot. On my Links video game!

Hahaha:laughing: That is absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing SMG

Nice write up, that's one of those courses on mt "to play" list. I'm jealous but glad you had a good round and a great experience.

I've play the 18th hole 4 times already :D, Tour 18 here in Houston has a replica of it....never made better than bogey on it.

I played there earlier this year and if I'm not mistaken, I believe that par 3 you have pictured there is listed as the 18th handicap hole on the course. I played the back tees when I went (not the pga tees as they wouldn't let us play back there) and it looks pretty intimidating with all that water surrounding the green. I have no idea how that got listed as the easiest hole on the course.

Great write up! I've also been lucky enough to play this course and it ranks highly on my all-time-favorite courses list!

Though Harbour Town is not really suited to my game (wild off the tee) I really enjoyed my round there a few years ago. I played the back tees and it still wasn't a long course. My best hole was 17, hitting into the setting sun, we did not see the ball but it felt good. When we get to the green, I am about 10 feet for birdie but missed the putt. Eighteen, good drive with about 170 left to the green, the guys I played with encouraged me to lay up right since the pin was front left. I told them since I didn't know when or if I would ever be in that position again and I was going for the green. I hit six iron and missed it a smidgen left (into the sound). I think If I were to be there again, I would try to hit the right side of the green.

Man you just made me want to play this place even more. I have been down there an have seen the 18th hole and walked in the fairway but never played the course. From what I have seen it looks like a great course. Thanks fr the write up!

Great pics! I have looked into traveling to Hilton Head, and I will definitely be playing this course if I do!

Nice write up, its great you are going to have some wonderful memories of that course

Sounds/looks like a wonderful place. Of course you and Kevin hit it off right away. You are the easiest going guy in the world and I certainly enjoyed my round with you at the PGA National! Glad you had a great time.

Great pics and glad you had a great time. I agree with KellyBo, you are one of the nicest guys I have met and had the pleasure to share a round of golf with. I look forward to when we can do it again.

Enjoyed the pics and write up SMG, and I will continue with the love fest KB and WR have started, Kevin could not have helped but to hit it off with you, you are a class guy all the way and a lot of fun to be around. Glad you had a great time.

Great pics SMG! Gotta hit that place up whenever I'm in HH.

Wow this place is beautiful. I have played it myself (with my created golfer in Tiger Woods) :giggle:

great pics and write up! on my bucket list of courses! - what was the fee if you don't mind me asking?

great pics and write up! on my bucket list of courses! - what was the fee if you don't mind me asking?

LOL.... kinda wanna know myself

The last time i checked on it you can play around 250 a round.

If you havent put it on your must play list you must. It was a treat to play and the experience was certainly something to remember. One of the interesting things was several groups behind me were using push carts which I thougt was great. I initially thought only members were allowed to walk, but my caddie said anyone can bring their own cart or use one provided by the course. Next time I play here I may just bring my Clicgear and walk the course. I am sure it will give me a different perspective.

After 2pm $165 + Forecaddy fee of $25+ depending on your gratuity.

nice round, been to HH twice, still havent played there, last year I did go up in the lighthouse, its an awesome view from the top

SMG, you lucky dog. Sounds like you had a blast and the course looks amazing. I have an in to play that course but the trip just hasn't come together. It's on my list of places to play and has been for some time. Thanks for sharing it with us buddy.

We do an annual trip to HHI in August and have played here every year. Great people and always in peak shape even in August. Just wish the price was easier on the wallet.

Back