2022 Mizuno ST Series Drivers and Metal Woods

I keep coming back to the forgiveness of the ST-Z. There were some tee shots where I should not have gotten the distance I did. Hit a couple on the heel and still got out in the 240 range. Hit one on the toe and it still landed in a range I had no business at. It’s hard for me to describe spin, but on the left to right shots where you would expect spin to kick up, it didn’t and just holds the line.

there are some great options coming this year and I’ll test some, but the comfort level I have right now is pretty fun.

Also @Slowmo hit the ST-X today that he won and was getting great results. One thing we talked about was that on some mishits for him, he fully expected the ball to be OB and it was playable and not in a bad spot. Speaks to the forgiveness and spin for these heads.
Like @mikeg_74 said, I hit a few that I was surprised to be able to hit again. Just got through going the the round on Shotscope and was seeing pretty decent distance from 220 six.

I keep coming back to the forgiveness of the ST-Z. There were some tee shots where I should not have gotten the distance I did. Hit a couple on the heel and still got out in the 240 range. Hit one on the toe and it still landed in a range I had no business at. It’s hard for me to describe spin, but on the left to right shots where you would expect spin to kick up, it didn’t and just holds the line.

there are some great options coming this year and I’ll test some, but the comfort level I have right now is pretty fun.

Also @Slowmo hit the ST-X today that he won and was getting great results. One thing we talked about was that on some mishits for him, he fully expected the ball to be OB and it was playable and not in a bad spot. Speaks to the forgiveness and spin for these heads.

I have the STX and the STZ. The STX draw bias is subtle, very much so. No face slammed shut at address. No horrendous offset. It is the only "draw biased" wood I have ever hit well. Hence the 12 degree, lofted all the way up, and coupled with an Aldila ascent supplanted the 3 wood in my bag. The STZ sits in the cottage bag, barely edged out by the TSI2 I play at home, which is my best liked driver of all time.
I really need to start selling some of these clubs I win at outings.
Unless I win a TSR or a new Mizzy offering. Lol

I have the STX and the STZ. The STX draw bias is subtle, very much so. No face slammed shut at address. No horrendous offset. It is the only "draw biased" wood I have ever hit well. Hence the 12 degree, lofted all the way up, and coupled with an Aldila ascent supplanted the 3 wood in my bag. The STZ sits in the cottage bag, barely edged out by the TSI2 I play at home, which is my best liked driver of all time.
I really need to start selling some of these clubs I win at outings.
Unless I win a TSR or a new Mizzy offering. Lol
Similar conversation I had today with @Slowmo he fights a hook and worried the ST-X would draw too much and it didn’t. Order Mizuno has theses sitting a touch flatter than most to that helps. If the new line improves on these and makes them better, anyone looking for a driver needs to give them a shot. @Vosh68 and his crew have something really good with these

I ordered this early and never got it (when the delays were happening) and I expect really big thngs from this driver in the 2023 release season

Stz220 led to my career best year at 54 years old and lowest career round at 2 under par.
My driving consistency has been great though I do miss a bit more right that I like with it even in the draw setting.
I am a draw to straight player with my other clubs.

I bought a demo LTDX low spin and it is a good ten yards longer but TBD on forgiveness.

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk

After having more time with the STZ220 I have noticed a couple of things coming from a Callaway Epic Flash. First and foremost the STZ220 is on average a lower spinning driver by a couple of hundred RPM's. It launches lower and better for playing in the wind. What I found most interesting was that the difference between well struck balls and mishits did not create massive changes in spin. For example in my last test the STZ220 over about 15 shots ranged between 1900-2900 RPM's. Hitting 15 with the Callaway Epic Flash I saw RPM's between 1700-4100. Distance wise the averages were the exact same, but the dispersion front to back and side to side was smaller with the STZ220. One noticeable item for me was that the Epic Flash sounds so much better and seems to be hotter off the face, but this is offset by its wider dispersion. The Epic Flash on well struck balls does go further, but distance isn't everything if you can't control it.

Overall I am happy with the STZ220 and should lead to better stroke gains over the Epic Flash. Can't wait to get it out on the course more.

Reactions: JB
Curious about the 230 model and if it will be any hotter than 220.

Curious about the 230 model and if it will be any hotter than 220.
Agreed to see how it will stack up. According to some testing from YouTubers it did pick up a few yards over last year's model. If that's the case and kept the spin profiles the same it should be a hot seller.

Back