Interesting Bubba comments...

I agree with you completely, but if those same Euro players, came to the US and said they visited that "statue of the tall lady" and "big house that starts with a W" and "that tall thing in the big mall", they would be CRUSHED! and rightly so for that matter. You can't go to another country and not know the names of the most famous monuments they have after you just visited them.

Actually I dont agree. I think we would have been told that it was them being funny. We would have been told about the difference in sense of humor. And we would have been told a hundred times, "What do you want them to say, they were asked a question and answered honestly"....

I have been saying for 2 years now, that if a US player had said the same types of things that the Euro counterparts have said, they would get killed over there and in here by their fans. To me this thread shows that. Listening to the announcers from the telecast showed it too.

Im not excusing his thoughts on it and certainly dont agree with him. However this is so similar but reverse its scary.

Bubba says he was not paid an appearance fee.

Bubba says he was not paid an appearance fee.

I heard that. Strange how a few different sources reported the same figure though. Maybe it's all whispers.

Either way, money or no money, he learned something I'm sure. I really don't think he was trying to be funny with his comments in the interviews, and if he was, he's lost his touch! As is the case with a few of the Euros skipping PGA tournaments, I don't think the European Tour will really miss his presence.

I heard that. Strange how a few different sources reported the same figure though. Maybe it's all whispers.

Either way, money or no money, he learned something I'm sure. I really don't think he was trying to be funny with his comments in the interviews, and if he was, he's lost his touch! As is the case with a few of the Euros skipping PGA tournaments, I don't think the European Tour will really miss his presence.

I'm not disagreeing with you here at all, but now let me ask you an honest question here. Isnt this the same exact thing we went through 12 months ago with the Euros and their "sense of humor"? Could some make the argument that it is just lost in translation, just as it apparently has been for IJP, Westwood, Rory, and the buffet eating Montguntery?

I'm not disagreeing with you here at all, but now let me ask you an honest question here. Isnt this the same exact thing we went through 12 months ago with the Euros and their "sense of humor"? Could some make the argument that it is just lost in translation, just as it apparently has been for IJP, Westwood, Rory, and the buffet eating Montguntery?

i'd have to say i agree with you there, an awful lot is lost in translation from both sides. esp where IJP, westwood and monty are considered british humour can be different. but has anyone considered that bubba may have only played this event to get some experience on this track before the ryder cup ?????

Well someone could make that argument, but I think in Bubba's case it was pretty clear he was grumpy and at best disrespectful. Now, Montgomery in particular was a good one for this. I don't think he has the sense of humour to be able to be misunderstood.

I think there have been moments when the others mentioned have been taken to task for their 'quips' a bit too quickly, and the thing about that is that a joke (or an intended joke) can quickly turn into a real moan when someone gives you some heat over it. If you're the defensive type, and IJP/Westwood definitely fall into this category.

Is there an argument for both sides in this? Watson isn't used to the more relaxed way of things over here, where you've got to look for the next hole yourself and sometimes walk through the fans. The Euro guys aren't used to the tight security and scrutiny they get on the PGA. Both parties feel a bit uncomfortable and thus look out of place?

Well someone could make that argument, but I think in Bubba's case it was pretty clear he was grumpy and at best disrespectful. Now, Montgomery in particular was a good one for this. I don't think he has the sense of humour to be able to be misunderstood.

I think there have been moments when the others mentioned have been taken to task for their 'quips' a bit too quickly, and the thing about that is that a joke (or an intended joke) can quickly turn into a real moan when someone gives you some heat over it. If you're the defensive type, and IJP/Westwood definitely fall into this category.

Is there an argument for both sides in this? Watson isn't used to the more relaxed way of things over here, where you've got to look for the next hole yourself and sometimes walk through the fans. The Euro guys aren't used to the tight security and scrutiny they get on the PGA. Both parties feel a bit uncomfortable and thus look out of place?

I have to say, that I look at this almost identical. As soon as it happened I said the same thing. That those across the pond would have a gripe and those here would give it a pass. The same EXACT thing that for 2 years has happened to Rory, IJP and Westwood. Take shots and then go back and say "it is just our sense of humor". I dont buy any of it actually.

I mean think back to the Euro gripe about the RC here? The big complaint about the fans....I mean you cant have it both ways right?

I mean think back to the Euro gripe about the RC here? WThe big complaint about the fans....I mean you cant have it both ways right?

Do you believe the 'treatment' Bubba got in France was akin to that atmosphere? Do you think he was treated any differently by the fans because he was American? I don't think both are comparable really, I didn't notice any fans last week doing anything out of the ordinary for a golf gallery.

I'd say it's more comparable to IJP complaining about the state of the Dubai courses, for instance. Sour grapes, when the rest of the field are happy to get on with it.

Do you believe the 'treatment' Bubba got in France was akin to that atmosphere? Do you think he was treated any differently by the fans because he was American? I don't think both are comparable really, I didn't notice any fans last week doing anything out of the ordinary for a golf gallery.

I'd say it's more comparable to IJP complaining about the state of the Dubai courses, for instance. Sour grapes, when the rest of the field are happy to get on with it.

I dont think it was the same thing. But there was only ONE difference. Location. The differences that he had a problem with are all associated with where the tournament was. No different than the gripe of those over here.

I dont see how there can be a single bit of difference between his comments (which I dont agree with) and the last 2 years from IJP, Westwood, Rory. Every time they have taken a shot or dig at the US or PGA Tour, we have quickly been reminded that it was a joke and its just sense of humor differences. Now the EXACT same thing happens in reverse, and those that used that excuse previously, are now saying "well this is different".

Its not, the only difference is that its happening in reverse.

I dont think it was the same thing. But there was only ONE difference. Location. The differences that he had a problem with are all associated with where the tournament was. No different than the gripe of those over here.

I dont see how there can be a single bit of difference between his comments (which I dont agree with) and the last 2 years from IJP, Westwood, Rory. Every time they have taken a shot or dig at the US or PGA Tour, we have quickly been reminded that it was a joke and its just sense of humor differences. Now the EXACT same thing happens in reverse, and those that used that excuse previously, are now saying "well this is different".

Its not, the only difference is that its happening in reverse.

I didn't see anyone trampling over Bubba's line on the greens, hollering. I didn't hear the crowd boo him, or cheer when he didn't hit a green. These are a couple of things the Euros were complaining about with the RC. Disrespect towards people just trying to play the game. I didn't witness any of that last week.

That's a different argument though. I agree with the second bit of your post. There's no difference. I didn't care for Bubba's comments and thought they were ill advised. I also cringe when I read IJP or Westwood doing the same sort of thing. I'd expect the majority of US media to shrug this one off as he's one of their own, same reason the Euro media will excuse any of 'our' guys and their 'jokes' at the expense of the PGA. Doesn't make it right though. I reckon the Euros with their 'team' mentality while away from home can easily take their in-jokes and sly digs too far, especially in the age of Twitter when it's visible to everyone.

That's a different argument though. I agree with the second bit of your post. There's no difference. I didn't care for Bubba's comments and thought they were ill advised. I also cringe when I read IJP or Westwood doing the same sort of thing. I'd expect the majority of US media to shrug this one off as he's one of their own, same reason the Euro media will excuse any of 'our' guys and their 'jokes' at the expense of the PGA. Doesn't make it right though. I reckon the Euros with their 'team' mentality while away from home can easily take their in-jokes and sly digs too far, especially in the age of Twitter when it's visible to everyone.

Agreed. I dont think what Bubba did was right. In fact I did not like it at all. The problem is that we cannot have our cake and eat it too. We get upset when athletes give us robotic answers. Then we get upset when they give us the truth. This to me is exactly what we have been seeing for two years from those 3 in particular and the argument was always the same. "They were asked a question and answered" or "It was a sense of humor thing".

The truth is, these guys all made bad choices in their words and when non-objective thoughts are brought into it, patriotism will play a major role. I wrote last year after Westwood once again took a shot at the PGA Tour and said "could you imagine if Tiger or Phil had done the same thing? Our friends from across the pond would be just as mad about it as the US fans are about Westwood". I was told from a few across the pond that I was incorrect, etc...

I think this goes to show that it really is a patriotism thing rather than a words thing.

I honestly think he couldve worded it in a better way, but other than than, I can see what he was saying and I dont really see an issue with it.

I think this goes to show that it really is a patriotism thing rather than a words thing.

Yeah, I remember that thread. I think that thread in itself proved that patriotism plays a big part, and it's difficult to take a step back and be objective.

I honestly think he couldve worded it in a better way, but other than than, I can see what he was saying and I dont really see an issue with it.

It's his view, so he's free to say whatever he thinks best, and I don't have a problem with it either. I'd rather that than a Tiger-esque interview, at least Bubba talked. The issue I would have though, is if he has been paid an appearance fee. I might be a bit old school, but I was always taught to earn my money.

I think whats really got most of the euro press up in arms were his ignorant response to the landmarks of Paris. If he was trying to be funny it was ill advised. I think if he wouldnt have made those remarks he wouldnt have been raked over the coals.
I dont see any problem with him admitting to being home sick or not liking the course or the way the Euro tour are lax with the fans/phones. Those are honest responses and he's entitled to feel that way.

I think whats really got most of the euro press up in arms were his ignorant response to the landmarks of Paris. If he was trying to be funny it was ill advised. I think if he wouldnt have made those remarks he wouldnt have been raked over the coals.
I dont see any problem with him admitting to being home sick or not liking the course or the way the Euro tour are lax with the fans/phones. Those are honest responses and he's entitled to feel that way.

I have to agree with this. While Bubba seems like a decent guy and he is a very skilled golfer, this was out of line.

Back