Jzier139

Reaction score
Handicap
8.0 GHIN
Was supposed to play today, 0600 hr tee off but my wife went into labor so here I sit at the hospital anxiously awaiting his arrival.
Today's round was to be a 4 club challenge. Two on two. Either you get 3 strokes and the opponent selects your 4th club for you or you give 3 and pick your opponents 4th.
As I sit here I contemplate what I would have done. My would have been partner ended up shooting 79 w/ Driver, 8-iron, SW and his opponent selected his 6-iron. (I would have picked AW since with his pre-selected clubs, it would have been kind if useless)
To occupy my time, I pose the following questions, feel free to answer one or all.

1) What clubs would you pick? (why and ur distances with each).

2) Would you take the strokes and allow ur opponent to pick ur 4th or vice versa?

3) Based on my buddy's selection, what would you have picked for his 4th? (His distances are: Driver: 280-300, 8-iron depending on shot type 130-180, SW anywhere from 110 in.

A 79 with four clubs is really good!

A 79 with four clubs is really good!

He's a Goltec instructor so he was above his normal avg but yeah... It's real good. Actually, 79 without a putter is good even if you have the other 13!

I'll pull a JB and say..

"who are you kidding? I'd take my putter. I hit it up into the wind and every shot goes into the hole I wouldn't even allow my opponent to walk up to the first tee cause he/she would know it's over before it started. I wouldn't need any other club the ball would do all the work.

I mean this is internet golf right"

I'll pull a JB and say..

"who are you kidding? I'd take my putter. I hit it up into the wind and every shot goes into the hole I wouldn't even allow my opponent to walk up to the first tee cause he/she would know it's over before it started. I wouldn't need any other club the ball would do all the work.

Haha I cant wait for a response.

Congrats about the forthcoming event!.
Did you guys settle on a name? I know you had a thread going taking suggestions.

(5 Iron,8Iron,SW,Driver) BTW

Last edited:
Congrats about the forthcoming event!.
Did you guys settle on a name? I know you had a thread going taking suggestions.

(5 Iron,9Iron,SW,Driver) BTW

Currently under debate! And thanks.

Haha I cant wait for a response.

I already know what it'll be about :D

But I'll stay on track and say this..for my home course personally..

3H, 9I, 60* wedge, 7I

Of course, I would select from my properly fit and optioned clubs a driver (300 yards) 7-iron (120-200 yards) sand wedge (0-120 yards) and a putter.

But in reality, based on my play yesterday:
7-iron, 54, 58, and putter.

I hate golf.

For me, I'd let them pick my fourth. My three clubs would be 4 and 7 irons, and PW. I can hit my new 4 iron well, and it goes about 230 off the tee. 7 iron is my favorite iron, goes between 190 and 200. Then my PW is my 150-160 club, but I can take a lot off of it and hit shorter shots. I could putt with any of these, so I think I could do well with this setup. Congrats on the little one!

Grats on the new baby! I would take driver, 6 iron, 49 Niblick, and putter. Take strokes.

I'll pull a JB and say..

Wrong again. :cool:

For me, I'd let them pick my fourth. My three clubs would be 4 and 7 irons, and PW. I can hit my new 4 iron well, and it goes about 230 off the tee. 7 iron is my favorite iron, goes between 190 and 200. Then my PW is my 150-160 club, but I can take a lot off of it and hit shorter shots. I could putt with any of these, so I think I could do well with this setup. Congrats on the little one!

I would just pick you to be my partner....hehe. I would use my putter just in case you missed 1. As for me I'm lucky to play w/13 clubs now you want 4... I'll have to stay home....:D

I would just pick you to be my partner....hehe. I would use my putter just in case you missed 1. As for me I'm lucky to play w/13 clubs now you want 4... I'll have to stay home....:D

That was my thought, especially since i would have been playing with 3 Goltec Instructors.... LONG Golftec instructors. Played with 2/3 before. Witnessed the one hit 3H on a 283 yd hole... We found his ball BEHIND the green. Guess that what 125mph swing speed and 180mph ball speed will get ya.
I originally thinking driver since I'm by the the shortest off the tee out o the group. Then I was I intrigued by seeing how well or maybe even better without it. Driver is my most erratic club and when I leave stokes on the course it's almost always due to driver. Saturday I shot 80 with doubles on 2&3 both due to OB tee shots.
I was leaning twds 3w, 5i, 8i & SW since I putt surprisingly well with the SW.

i would personally pick:

driver (off the tee or off the deck, knock downs, punches, you name it)
6 iron
sand wedge (pickin the in betweener instead of a gw or sw)
putter (gotta have it to shoot a decent number imo)

i have thought about playing a round like this, maybe even with just a club and a putter. don't know if anybody has heard the bubba watson 4 wood test where he gave his caddie the rest of his clubs and played with just the 4 to get used to it, ended with 75. another good one is from one of jason dufner's friends. he was telling me one round they played was either going to be 2 strokes a hole against duffy, or that jason could only use his 6 iron. he chose the 6 and ended with a 69.

For me it would have to be -

3 Wood
M3 Mashie
7i
56* Wedge

I would give 3 shots so that I could pick the opponents 4th club too

3I for tee shots, trouble shots, work it both ways. Yardage up to 220.
7I up to about 175, work it both ways.
SW up to 105
Putter

I have done this a few times, grabbed a hand full of clubs (usually only 3) and walked 4 or 5 holes. It is a lot of fun playing holes in different ways.

Was supposed to play today, 0600 hr tee off but my wife went into labor so here I sit at the hospital anxiously awaiting his arrival.
Today's round was to be a 4 club challenge. Two on two. Either you get 3 strokes and the opponent selects your 4th club for you or you give 3 and pick your opponents 4th.
As I sit here I contemplate what I would have done. My would have been partner ended up shooting 79 w/ Driver, 8-iron, SW and his opponent selected his 6-iron. (I would have picked AW since with his pre-selected clubs, it would have been kind if useless)
To occupy my time, I pose the following questions, feel free to answer one or all.

1) What clubs would you pick? (why and ur distances with each). I usually play three club but four would do nicely. I would go with 56* (0-100), 7 iron (100 -210) and 19*(210 - 250) Yonex EZONE hybrid.

2) Would you take the strokes and allow ur opponent to pick ur 4th or vice versa? Taken strokes and let my opponent pick my fourth. It would not matter what they picked, it could only help.

3) Based on my buddy's selection, what would you have picked for his 4th? (His distances are: Driver: 280-300, 8-iron depending on shot type 130-180, SW anywhere from 110 in.
I would have grabbed the 4 iron. Huge gap between driver and 8 iron.

This is a toughie. I am going to have to go with:
4 iron
7 iron
Approach Wedge
Putter

I hit my 4 iron just over 200 yards. It would be my club off the tee and every par 4 on my course would be reachable in 2 except for maybe 1 hole. The par 3's are all between a 5i and a 9i. I could either hit an easy 4 on the longer ones or an easy 7 on others. May have to pipe a 7 depending on the tees and wind on one of them. My AW is my go to club around the green and 120 out. I can choke down and hit it less, punch, chip, pitch, do most anything with it. I need my putter on the greens. Gives me the best chance to make up a few strokes.

I might actually try this on Wednesday when I go out!!!

M3
7iron
57* wedge
3 strokes.

Id take"

3H
7I
49* Niblick
Putter

i would personally pick:

driver (off the tee or off the deck, knock downs, punches, you name it)
6 iron
sand wedge (pickin the in betweener instead of a gw or sw)
putter (gotta have it to shoot a decent number imo)

i have thought about playing a round like this, maybe even with just a club and a putter. don't know if anybody has heard the bubba watson 4 wood test where he gave his caddie the rest of his clubs and played with just the 4 to get used to it, ended with 75. another good one is from one of jason dufner's friends. he was telling me one round they played was either going to be 2 strokes a hole against duffy, or that jason could only use his 6 iron. he chose the 6 and ended with a 69.

My friend & Goltec instructor did this today and shot 79 without his putter.

Back