when is the best time to change irons?

the boss

golf addict help me!!
Reaction score
Handicap
when is the best time for a resonably new player to consider changing irons? i guess im looking for someone to tell me i DONT need to i keep looking at irons even though i hit my burners great they feel nice. but...... i cant help thinking id improve even more if i get ........ or ....... or try ......... lol help me stay sane:banana:

Changing irons can be done whenever you want as long as you are fit for them. Are your current irons fit or just off the rack? How old are they and are the groves worn? Depending on how 'new' you are I personally would spend a little money getting your current irons fit to you and maybe next year look at new ones. Having the right fitting irons/clubs can make a huge impact on your game. That's my suggestion, if it's worth anything.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Activate OEM Kevin Voice

"Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday"

Deactivate OEM Kevin voice.

Truthfully, unless you are in a certain need of something different, I am not sure I would make a switch.

I think it's time to change if you've outgrown them or you've worn them out. This usually happens as you become a better players. The good thing about changing is you can pass them on to someone else to enjoy the game, maybe a relative or a friend that's looking to catch that golf bug. Or you can sell them. It's the game that keeps on giving!

Irons last a long time. I had my last set close to seven years. I just outgrew the shafts and it was just time for an upgrade.

Activate OEM Kevin Voice

Truthfully, unless you are in a certain need of something different, I am not sure I would make a switch.

pmsl that made me laugh. thats the thing i dont think im in need of anything yet but it doesnt stop the what if thoughts. i suppose since i had new wedges and seen the major improvement in my short game and gettinf fit for a driver and seeing monster improvements i guess im thinking same with the irons

Changing irons can be done whenever you want as long as you are fit for them. Are your current irons fit or just off the rack? How old are they and are the groves worn? Depending on how 'new' you are I personally would spend a little money getting your current irons fit to you and maybe next year look at new ones. Having the right fitting irons/clubs can make a huge impact on your game. That's my suggestion, if it's worth anything.

there off the rack standard. been playing since last october the clubs are in awsome condition although the 7 iron grip is looking very worn.

there off the rack standard. been playing since last october the clubs are in awsome condition although the 7 iron grip is looking very worn.

then why buy new irons when just changing the grips makes the club feel brand new. Don't get me wrong if I could get new irons I would love them but I love my burners right now especially since they have led me to break 80 three times. I would wait a year atleast?

Activate OEM Kevin Voice

Deactivate OEM voice

Dang JB, you beat me to it :rofl:

then why buy new irons when just changing the grips makes the club feel brand new. Don't get me wrong if I could get new irons I would love them but I love my burners right now especially since they have led me to break 80 three times. I would wait a year atleast?

ive done the same with mine 3 79's im consistantly around 85 for the last 7-8 rounds my putter is deffo the next change

I know theres alot of new stuff out there and having a new set of irons is always great but this is what I would: take your current irons have them fit to you. They might change the lie and hopefully you don't need different shafts and I would get them regripped with the proper size. You should regrip your clubs once a year if not for wear a new look. Hope this helps a little

Change them when ever you want, it really is up to you.

I am planing on changing mine, contemplating a TaylorMade custom order of 4-7 MC and 8-PW MB irons. Just need to get myself back to work so I can spend my redundancy pay on treats rather than bills

when is the best time for a resonably new player to consider changing irons? i guess im looking for someone to tell me i DONT need to i keep looking at irons even though i hit my burners great they feel nice. but...... i cant help thinking id improve even more if i get ........ or ....... or try ......... lol help me stay sane:banana:

Every time I get the notion that new irons is what I need in order to improve, I go pay a little to get fitted and learn that I may gain a yard with a different iron. Get the numbers in your hand and I'm guessing you will save a lot of money. It is important to go to a fitter not to a club salesman. Get the numbers then make the most LOGICAL decision.

I think when you need new irons, you just know.

Although, it's always nice to have new shiny sticks!

theboss...check this guy out http://www.fourcountiesgolf.co.uk/

This is the place I got fitted for most of my clubs, and haven't looked back since. My advice would be give him a call, set up a fitting session and he'll be able to advise you on whether you do actually need new irons or not.

Change them when ever you want, it really is up to you.

I am planing on changing mine, contemplating a TaylorMade custom order of 4-7 MC and 8-PW MB irons. Just need to get myself back to work so I can spend my redundancy pay on treats rather than bills

I agree with Mike. I see no problem in getting new sticks whenever you want to. I just wouldn't let go of the old ones until you have the new ones really broke in and ready to throw in the bag full time.

The clubs themselves won't make you any better. If you are comfortable with your current set, which it sounds like you are, get them regripped and do a quick fitting on a lie board just to make sure the length and lie angle are where they should be. Nothing really wrong with buying off the rack if they fit you. If you want to get better, take the money you would have spent and take a few lessons and see if that helps. The clubs won't do it, you still have to swing them.

I like to change clubs every 5 years or so. Or if the grooves are worn out. Or if technology has taken laps around my clubs. Or if I'm playing better than when I first bought my clubs and I'm switching from cavity backs to a players iron or blades. Or if there's a deal I can't pass up. Or if I really, REALLY like a new iron that just came out. Or...

I like to change clubs every 5 years or so. Or if the grooves are worn out. Or if technology has taken laps around my clubs. Or if I'm playing better than when I first bought my clubs and I'm switching from cavity backs to a players iron or blades. Or if there's a deal I can't pass up. Or if I really, REALLY like a new iron that just came out. Or...

+1 as this is how I am

Tap tap taparoo

I`m at the point that the only time I will change clubs is when I get more yardage or a more forgiving... club or set of irons....I`m always looking for a improvement in yardage and forgiveness as long as I can hit the shots I want...I won`t give up playability for either of the above...Jim

Activate OEM Kevin Voice

"9:00, 10:00, 11:00."

FIFY!!

There has to be a time to change irons?? I'm confused

Tapatalk: Team Hackers Approved

Back