iPing Putting App

iPing Putting App

Anyone try this yet?

Do a search, there is already another Thread on this app

iPing Putting App

Has anyone used this on this forum? It is a free app (but the cradle costs $30).

I got my cradle today... ordered from golf galaxy online. Cradle works nice i didn't rig any other cradle so i dunno how its different from the ones guys are making themselves... Anyway i really like the app it shows you where you are inconsistent with your putting and you can concentrate more on that part of your putting. It seems i have a lot of work to do. Only used it in my living room because its been raining here but i want to hit the putting green with it asap to see how it works there.

It is good to hear the cradle works well -- I have a buddy who rigged his but it would seem the OEM cradle would work best. It sounds like GG has stock, then? Golfsmith was quoting not shipping until July 4.

Android has a larger market share than iPhone. It sucks that these and a few other good golf apps are only available for Apple users.

:angry:

Could some one throw their iPing mount on a scale. I cant find the weight specs for it. The iPhine is 134g, the iTouch is 101g. just need the mount to find the final weight number.

i don't have a scale that would measure the weight of the cradle or i would... i don't think the weight would matter if you were rigging your own up. you really don't notice the phone or cradle weight on the putter when you are putting. I did get a chance to use this on a practice green at the local range the other day. I really like hitting the balls and seeing how consistent i can make my putts. When you measure your strokes you hit 5 balls and then you see how consistent you are with your stroke type, your impact angle, and your tempo. I have a very jerky putt i go back to quickly and then i realize it and try to slow down during my forward stroke. but now i can hit and look and see if i am improving it or not and making sure my stroke is the same every time. i have been working on my putting a lot recently and I think this is gonna help me a lot. I guess time will tell.

Android has a larger market share than iPhone. It sucks that these and a few other good golf apps are only available for Apple users.

But not all android devices have both the gyroscope and accelerometer. Both are needed for the app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But not all android devices have both the gyroscope and accelerometer. Both are needed for the app.

FIFY :D

Been trying to decide what kind of putter is best for me lately and i actually found this app to be helpful with that. i putt with 3 different putters 15 balls each and you can compare those right next to each other to see what you hit the best and most consistant. i am really glad i got the cradle and app!

Just ordered the cradle for my iPhone. This seems like one of the most interesting apps available. Should be a lot of fun.

Just ordered the cradle for my iPhone. This seems like one of the most interesting apps available. Should be a lot of fun.

Nice, looking forward to some feedback about it.

So After calling the Local Golf Galaxy everyday for the past week I decided to give them a break and not call for 3 whole days. I just got off the phone with them, they got their shipment two days ago and are sold out already.
:banghead:

Went onto the PING website and got a list of their retailers. Found this local mom and pop place, called them up and the dude there is holding a cradle for me until I get off work today. FINALLY. I've been dying to try this app for weeks now.

So I got the Iping cradle yesterday and took it out to the putting green to try it out.
First some superficial initial thoughts:
The cradle is 25-30$ (I got it for 24.99$ At LV Golf and Tennis) and its just half a iphone case with a "forked prong" like thing on the back that attaches to the golf shaft. Buying it made me mad that I couldn't find anything that could reliably attach my phone to a golf shaft. But the case does what it's supposed to do, it firmly attaches to the putter and I don't have to worry about the iphone falling off during my backswing. (that happened when I tried using rubber bands). BTW a side benefit is the prong allows to phone to stand at a 45* angle, a nice little feature for people who use the netflix app on their phone at work...... (thats me!) The prong is big and makes it something you wont keep on your phone, you'll probably keep it in your golf bag, so why are there the slots for the camera, volume buttons, and screen saver?

The app itself is shiny and cool. And it works! I just wish it did more....
You can have practice session where it tracks your stats but doesn't record it. Or you can have actuall measurement session where it requires you to hit 5 ten foot putts and it keeps track of your stats and progress.

It tracks Stroke type, Impact Angle, and Tempo. I'll talk about each one at a time.
Stroke type- It meaures your stroke and classifies you into three types: Straight, Slight Arc, Big Arc. That's cool and all but my complaint is in HOW it meaures this. What I hoped was it meaures the path your putter takes. Waht it measures is how much the putter face opens and closes during the stroke. The idea being a Straight Back putting stroke doesn't allow the putter face to open and close while the heavy arc has a drastic opening and closing. If it tracked the actual path your putter took then you could use it for lots of things to help your stroke. For example my friend putts across the ball, he takes it back and out and swings across the ball like he's hitting a slice. He thinks he's going straight back and through and there's no way I can convince him he's doing it. I was HOPEING this app would be my proof for him. However the app would just register his stroke as a straight since he doesn't open and close the putter face.

Impact Angle Ok this works and was cool. I was consistently 2* open at impact and it's driving me crazy!!! Ok I do have a complaint, It only measures if your putter face is open or closed at impact in relation to address. That's great but how about delofting or adding loft to the putter as well? I have a nagging fear that my forward press is negating the 4* of loft on my putter and I would have liked to have found out with this app. Oh well, i'm now more concerned about the 2* open at impact then the forward press.

Tempo The first thing they mention is everyone's tempo is different. This part is more for consistency. You're looking for a consistent tempo in all of your strokes. You get two numbers, something that looks like this : 1.9/1 Its the ratio of Backswing time agaisnt the forward swing time. 1.9/1 was mine and I was pretty consitently around there. I guess this is good for people who "jab" at the ball while putting and will help develop a smooth consistent tempo in your stroke.

Should you buy it? Well, if you're a golf nut who likes to buy anything golf related, then chaances are you already bought this. As for the rest, $25-30 is a little steep for what you get. Dont' get me wrong, I would have paid more if it gave me everything that I had hoped for. But where it stands, I'm gonna play around with this thing for a couple of weeks and probably sell it to someone. Or I'm gonna use the case to prop up my phone at work to watch movies.

Last edited:
I saw this in Golf Galaxy Sunday and Im intrigued. Anyone been using it and able to offer any feedback? Looks like a pretty cool app.

It tracks Stroke type, Impact Angle, and Tempo. I'll talk about each one at a time.
Stroke type- It meaures your stroke and classifies you into three types: Straight, Slight Arc, Big Arc. That's cool and all but my complaint is in HOW it meaures this. What I hoped was it meaures the path your putter takes. Waht it measures is how much the putter face opens and closes during the stroke. The idea being a Straight Back putting stroke doesn't allow the putter face to open and close while the heavy arc has a drastic opening and closing. If it tracked the actual path your putter took then you could use it for lots of things to help your stroke. For example my friend putts across the ball, he takes it back and out and swings across the ball like he's hitting a slice. He thinks he's going straight back and through and there's no way I can convince him he's doing it. I was HOPEING this app would be my proof for him. However the app would just register his stroke as a straight since he doesn't open and close the putter face.

I have the same complaint about this app. I am mostly a straight back straight through putter and this thing tells me I have a strong arc. When The club face is openning and closing.

I used this yesterday on and off for a few hours. Found it really interesting.

Its doesnt give you tips to improve is the first thing to note, purely puts your set of 5 putts together and tells you how consistent you are with swing type (straight/slight arc etc), impact angle (i was between 1 and 2 degrees closed most times and tempo (this seems to measure the distance you pull back and then go forward for the same length putt.

I was using it on the office floor so very smooth carpet. Id be very interested to have a go on an actual green.

All in all if you have an iphone then get it if only tp have a play with it.

I attached it to the putter with bluetac. Worked fine.

Anyone still using one of these? My local EW had them in the clearance bin for $5 so picked one up to try. Not sure whether mine or my wifes iPod are 4th gen, but figured I would give it a go for $5.

Back