Boccieri Heavy Driver - Forum Testing Review

Wow. That wasn't even much of a battle, Rock!

I'd love to try this out again, but in R flex. Also, wouldn't mind trying out the HT to see how it worked for me.

had the driver out at the range yesterday. I still have not really found that perfect consistency, but it is consistently close to being fantastic. There have been a few revelations over the past week or so. first, it is much better to swing the heavy driver with your body, not your arms. Yesterday, I had a second revelation. When I swing easier, I get higher, and more standard, trajectory. The only thing left to figure out with this driver is how to hit a draw with the same average trajectory, or in the alternative, not hit massive slices. As I said before, the big slice is about a 1/10 shot occurrence, the rest of the shots are more than playable and typically in the fairway. But still, it'd be nice to just avoid that big slice.

The consistency of this driver has made it a very easy decision for me to replace my burner draw with the heavy driver. More consistency, I can actually aim off the tee and have a general understanding of where it will go, similar carry, and a lot more roll. Heavy driver wins.

Awesome! Glad to see it has found a spot in your bag.

I was able to get to the range this afternoon with some neighbors. Unfortunately, the HD was still not suiting me well. Maybe Mr Boccieri was onto something when he told me this club is more for 'big muscle players' and not handsy swings. I couldnt get my shots straightened out, everything was hooking left. The only way I could get one straight is to almost deliberately stop at the top, those drives were considerably shorter than my normal drives with my SuperTri. It was really frustrating because I then picked up my ST and smacked a few slight draws right at my target pin. I hit 15-20 balls with the HD and only 3-4 of them stayed inside my 'fairway' pins.

Well, my 4th of July involved a fair amount of golfing. And with that golfing, came the final confirmation of my decision to game the Heavy Driver exclusively. I'd been going back and forth for the past couple of weeks, and as I got more used to the Heavy Driver, I found myself using it more and more because of its consistency. So, what better way to show that I made the right decision on which driver to hit than with pictures.

Slight background on the course, its my local muni, its not that great, and its short. There are only four par-4s. Nonetheless, here we go.

Second hole, 292 yard par 4. Here's the view from the tee. The green is actually to the left of the brown trees (because they are half dead), and over the trees in the middle. Typically, I just aim for the trees in the middle, because they are 200 yards out, and chances are, the ball will go left or right of them.

Now here's where I ended up. The ball went perfectly straight, hit the trees in the middle, and kicked straight out to the right. Still, it gets a thumbs up, not only did if go straight down the middle, but I got a friendly kick from the trees. Easy 100 yard shot into the green.

Next par 4 is hole 4, slightly uphill, 255 yards. Yes, many people can reach the green. So, here's the view.

And the result....not great. Not everyone can take a divot with a driver, but I did on this shot. Skied it, chunked it. But we can't really blame that on the driver so much as massive user error.

Next par 4, number 7, 365 yards. The prime spot on this hole is actually in number 6 fairway. You can see a few trees down the middle that 'divide' number 6 and 7. So, if you can get to the top of the hill on the number 6 side, your in prime shape.

And the result gets a :good: . That's right, a 260 yard drive later, and I was in the perfect spot.

Ok, last par 4, 374 yards, and the only dog leg on the course. Due to tree growth over the years, you either have a 20 yard landing area to have a clear shot to the green, or you hit 290 yard drives.

The result....meh, little low line drive baby fade. It had plenty of distance, but no shot to the green.

Now, I played another 14 or so holes after this first nine, and the driver consistency just amazed me. Sure, I blew hole 4, the drivable par 4 the first time, but the next two times I played it, I came up 3 feet short of the green both times. Then, Hole 8 is a 220 yard uphill par 3. When the east wind picks up, its usually safe for me to pull driver. Well, the east wind was getting a little gusty, so I pulled driver....and the result....

It took some adjustment. I started this driver with some pretty bad results, but I knew it may take a little time to get used to. That, combined with swinging with my body and not my hands, and this driver is just becoming automatic for me. It still hits a little lower than I'd like, but 255-270 yard drives down the middle works for me everytime.

Next major test for this driver, league tomorrow. This will be the Heavy Driver's first competitive play, and on a course where finding the fairway is necessary for good scores.

~Rock

Great to see it working so well for you Rock! I am going to try and get out to the range today and I will post my results later! After having a very frustrating weekend of golf, I am ready for some redemption and confirmation that I can actually play this game.

Great reviews guys, I'm just getting caught up. My computer has a terminal illness so only have my phone for a bit.

I went out and played 18 yesterday, boy was it hot and I was sick with a sinus infection. That's not a good combination at all. But I soldiered on and managed an 86, 41/45.

As I had reported earlier the heavy is the only driver in my bag and I don't see it changing anytime soon. I missed 3 fairways, one was by a foot but its still a miss. I figured out the problem, I had let the ball creep back just a touch in my stance and the face was a bit open at impact causing a small slice. I moved the ball back up and bingo, middle fairways again.

My reviews have to be getting boring, I don't know what else to say but this club works for me. If I put the ball forward and turn my wrists over through impact the ball goes exactly where I want it to! What's even better is that my miss has always been a hook, not so with this club. With the heavy its a slice but for me that's a very easy fix as opposed to the hook that made me fearful of swinging hard.

My uncle plays with me a lot and he says this is the most consistent driver I have ever played. Its not the longest but its not short by any means. I'm getting about 260 average and hope the new driver gives me even more rollout, but if it doesn't 260 in the fairway will work just fine.

I hope to have my computer up and running soon so I can make the reviews a little more interesting with pictures. I know its boring reading about some Guy hitting fairways with no visuals!

Great reviews guys, I'm just getting caught up. My computer has a terminal illness so only have my phone for a bit.

I went out and played 18 yesterday, boy was it hot and I was sick with a sinus infection. That's not a good combination at all. But I soldiered on and managed an 86, 41/45.

As I had reported earlier the heavy is the only driver in my bag and I don't see it changing anytime soon. I missed 3 fairways, one was by a foot but its still a miss. I figured out the problem, I had let the ball creep back just a touch in my stance and the face was a bit open at impact causing a small slice. I moved the ball back up and bingo, middle fairways again.

My reviews have to be getting boring, I don't know what else to say but this club works for me. If I put the ball forward and turn my wrists over through impact the ball goes exactly where I want it to! What's even better is that my miss has always been a hook, not so with this club. With the heavy its a slice but for me that's a very easy fix as opposed to the hook that made me fearful of swinging hard.

My uncle plays with me a lot and he says this is the most consistent driver I have ever played. Its not the longest but its not short by any means. I'm getting about 260 average and hope the new driver gives me even more rollout, but if it doesn't 260 in the fairway will work just fine.

I hope to have my computer up and running soon so I can make the reviews a little more interesting with pictures. I know its boring reading about some Guy hitting fairways with no visuals!

nice Degoins. I told you from day 1 I thought this would be a great fit for your swing. Glad to hear it is working well for you.

nice Degoins. I told you from day 1 I thought this would be a great fit for your swing. Glad to hear it is working well for you.

So far its working for sure. I think your right that it fits my swing. I have a long, OK very long back swing without a violent transition. I also have the mental thought of turning with my chest and it has been said this is more of a big muscles swing driver. I think an armsy player would struggle a bit with this club, in fact my uncle can't hit it at all and has a very pronounced arm swing.

Really enjoying what we are seeing out of some in here from the review stand point. Some great stuff for sure.

Nice job buddy!!! A little off topic here but when did you get new irons?

Guys lets try and keep this to the equipment a company was kind enough to send out for testing. Thanks.

I have now logged in 3 rounds and 4 range session with the HEavy Driver. Well, its official now for me.
Goodbye TM Superfast 1.0. Its been a nice solid run of about a little over a year but its time for you to go.

I'm consistantly making a better swing with the Heavy Driver and last night at the range I made the decision to swap drivers.
Accuracy has been much improved, though my miss has returned to being a nasty Snap Hook while my Superfast Miss was a giant block to the right. (Could the Superfast's shaft being almost 2 inches longer be the culprit?)

Distance: Ok... I feel if I had to hit 20 balls with each driver. The Superfast would be on average slightly longer but the dispersion would be higher as well. I felt like the Heavy driver CAN be as long when I catch it right and far more accurate.

Great trajectory as well I. When I first tried out the Heavy I was hitting some very high spin balls. But a slight adjustment and I've been very happy with the penetrating ball flight I'm now achieving. It's important no matter where you're playing but I think it's very important to take advantage of the VERY HARD fairways out here in the desert. A low spin ball/good trajectory off the driver can roll forever.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one feeling love for the Heavy. Its amazing how similar some of our experiences with it have been so far.

I can't stress how much I feel like i'm putting a better "move" on the ball. The Superfast made my swing turn into this full throttle out of control motion that I hope the ball gets in the way of the club face as it fly on through. The heavy Driver has brought me back and once again I feel like I'm striking the ball again with a smooth easier more controlled swing. The only thing is when I try to force it and get a little extra out of my drives, thats when my hook starts to show up again.

I've done the same snap. I've gone from hit and hope with the burner to aim and hit with the heavy. I had three shots my last round where I picked out a target, actually called it outloud to my playing partners and the ball didn't move more than three yards off of it. I am gaining more and more confidence every round.

yeah you hit it on the head. Confidence. Its something I can't explain with numbers but I agree with you. I'm getting confident again with the driver. My friends can attest that I'm a 3-5 hdcp soley due to my short game and putting. Driving and long irons has always been my weak spot.

I'm really enjoying reading all of the reviews. They are really making me regret not finding one to hit before my recent driver purchase. I discovered one of the local courses near me carries them too.

When I played 18 yesterday, the course was fairly slow, so I played two balls off of each tee with both drivers. Hard for me to do a true side by side as both have different shafts. The Heavy has a tipped regular shaft, while my K15 has a tipped soft regular. Close, but not the same. I used my GPS to get actual yardages.

No. 1, Par 4, 291 yards. Both shots were stock fades that both ended up in the FW.
K15 = 248 yds.
Heavy = 237 yds.

No. 2, Par 3

No. 3, Par 4, 330 yards. Setup for the fade. Fade with the K15 in the FW. Hit the Heavy dead straight down the left side where I was aiming.
K15 = 238 yds.
Heavy = 249 yds.

No. 4, Par 5, 510 yards. I never hit driver here as there is a creek around 205/210 and a narrow opening with OB right. Went for it anyway today. Set up down the left side. Hit the K15 right just clearing the creek but rolling right to the edge of OB, but still in. Hit the Heavy with a slight fade which cleared the creek and ended up on the left edge of the FW.
K15 = 229 yds.
Heavy = 248 yds.

No 5, Par 4, 440 yards. This tee shot has to carry a creek below over high trees. Hit a perfect fade with both drivers just making the fairway.
K15 = 252 yds.
Heavy = 244 yds.

No. 6, Par 4, 243 yards. Easiest par 4 on the course into a green that slopes away. Tried to hit a draw here with both drivers. Pulled it off with the K15 which was nearly dead straight while pull hooking the Heavy down the left side but still in bounds.
K15 = 255 yds. (just off the back of the green).
Heavy = 233 yds. (bad swing hurt this one).

No. 7, Par 4, 379 yards. Just went with my normal swing aiming down the right side. More or less hit a over cooked fade/slice with both drivers. Distance was off of both.
K15 = 224 yds.
Heavy = 231 yds.

No. 8, Par 3

No. 9, Par 5, 510 yards. Hit a perfect high fade with the K15 first up and followed with another good fade but with slightly lower ball flight. Both shots ended up on the right edge of the FW.
K15 = 258 yds.
Heavy = 248 yds.

No. 10, Par 5, 491. Set up again for a draw and pulled it off to some degree with both drivers. The K15 ended up just off the left edge of the FW while the Heavy hit the FW just left of center. Best drive of the day so far.
K15 = 251 yds.
Heavy = 259 yds.

No. 11, Par 4, 400 yards. Must hit a fade here with OB left. Hit another high fade with the K15 and followed it with a good fade but slightly off swing with the Heavy that ran the ball right a little bit which rolled off the FW.
K15 = 249 yds.
Heavy = 231 yds.

No. 12, Par 3

No. 13, Par 4, 438. This one was playing dead into a 10/15 mph wind. K15, slight draw that ended up just off the FW. Heavy, same shot almost to a tee, which rolled out a bit more as it stayed in the FW.
K15 = 240 yds.
Heavy = 251 yds.

No. 14, Par 5, 481. Wide open for the most part, so I really tried to give each one a little extra, and the K15 stayed pretty much straight down the line and I double crossed myself and ended up slicing the Heavy into deep rough.
K15 = 253 yds.
Heavy = 228 yds.

No. 15, Par 4, 360 yards. On this hole I made it a point to not swing hard again seting up down the left side. Hit a perfect very slight fade with the K15 followed by a straight shot with the Heavy to the center of the FW.
K15 = 239 yds.
Heavy = 248 yds.

No. 16, Par 3.

No. 17, Par 3, 318 yards. This time I lost the K15 and sliced it a bit which really took it off line with a left to right wind. The Heavy was a great fade, that ended up just on the right edge of the fairway.
K15 = 224 yds.
Heavy = 259 yds.

No. 18, Par 4, 287 yards. OB left, so this one is a must hit, so I took it nice and easy and hit the fairway with both drivers with the K15 being pretty much dead straight and the Heavy as a slight fade.
K15 = 254 yds.
Heavy = 251 yds.

Conditions are perfect right now as things are dry and fast at our course. The Heavy, for no longer than I have been hitting it, is becoming very predicable, every bit as much as the K15 which I feel I know pretty well. Hope to get out this evening once again with just the Heavy Driver.

Excellent updates, testers. I like the comparison, HG. Not so much in that I'm looking for how the Heavy performs against the K15, but moreso because I know you really liked the results you got from it already.

I got nine in really early before work and I have to say it was great! Golf is such a fickle sport. This past weekend I was so frustrated with my swing and everything and then today I go out and play great! This was the first time I was able to hit two drives and compare the results side by side. I wont go into exact details on each shot but I will say that this driver is great. I was curious to see how the distance compared to my back weighted R11 and it turns out they are very comparable. There was one hole a par 5 where I put a really nice draw on my R11 and it went about 20 yards further, but that was hit on the screws with a perfect draw, in other words under perfect conditions. My consistent shot with Heavy D is a high fade and when I hit my R11 either straight or with a high fade, the distances are almost identical, in fact on the 3rd hole I hit both drivers perfect high straight and high fade and they ended up about 5 feet from each other in the middle of the fairway. Today really made me wonder what my issue was this past weekend, because I just felt like I could not miss today. I did miss a couple of fairways with the HD, but one was just barely off and pretty much went exactly where I aimed it, and the other was a push fade. I love the sound and feel of this driver. It just feels good and inspires confidence. What more can I say. PS I was even par after 9, it killed me to have to walk off the course (This was with playing the first drive that I hit, no matter the result).

Excellent updates, testers. I like the comparison, HG. Not so much in that I'm looking for how the Heavy performs against the K15, but moreso because I know you really liked the results you got from it already.

I know there was a time when I thought big name OEM meant the best drivers, and I'm sure there are others that think this as well, when the truth is when you have someone like Mr. Boccieri who has a great mind, it is very possible to get high quality from a brand less known.

As I pointed out in another reply, Ping has been in business a long time and there is no doubt some good technology in the K15, but I'm really trying to prove that even a first time builder can get it right. I think the K15 is great for me and my style and I have a lot of confidence with it, but at the same time, I'm building great confidence in the Heavy Driver in a pretty short period of time.

I'm really finding out that the Heavy Driver is for real. I see it as a great working class club. No flash, no fancy graphics just a great little driver. I like that idea a lot. You don't need any of that fancy stuff. The ball has no idea, nor does it care.

Very interesting take HG. I agree with you. Had TM, Callaway, Nike, Ping, Adams, Cleveland or Titleist come out with the weighting called it "Technological breakthrough in balance weighting" they would be selling like crazy in my opinion.

Back