Royal Collection JP104 FW Review

Puttin4Bird

Say what again mf'er!
Reaction score
Handicap
3.5 GHIN
Here's a little preview of a club from a company that not too many THP'ers may know much about.

Since its debut in 1992, Royal Collection has been a proven brand for advanced players and Tour Professionals.

Royal Collection is especially known for the “Driving Cavity”, which refers to the horseshoe shaped cavity seen on the soles of Royal Collection fairway woods and hybrids.

Royal Collection has helped Tour Players capture several PGA and European Tour victories in the late 90s as well as the Open Championships in 2000 and 2004. In Japan, Royal Collection has been ranked #1 fairway wood and hybrids category for the past 7 consecutive years according to the Darrell Survey.

Here are some pics of a great looking 3 wood. It arrived for review on Saturday, I liked the looks of it so much that I immediately put it in the bag for a tournament I had on Sunday. With zero shots prior with this 3 wood I was not sure what I could expect. I used it a few times during the round and I have to say that I liked it a lot. It was very easy to hit off the fairway with that shallower face and off the tee it performed quite well for me also. I'll post much more on this great looking 3 wood as I continue to test it for a homepage review.

IMG_20110625_184229.jpg

IMG_20110625_184715.jpg

IMG_20110625_184451.jpg

IMG_20110625_184504.jpg

IMG_20110625_184522.jpg

IMG_20110625_184644.jpg

I don't know if you can see just how gorgeous this club is from the pics above but trust me, it looks very nice. I'll get a ton more pics from the range and the course soon.

nice looking club Jake. Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

That's Royal lookin dude. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Looking forward to getting home so I can see those pics, Jake. Bomb it!

looking forward to your thoughts on this one man....that shaft looks sweet

That is a really nice looking club. I look forward to more of your feedback as I really don't know much about the brand.

Nice! I'm glad to see them coming to the US. They had a connection to the now defunct "Sonartec" line of hybrids and fairway woods. I've been using a Sonartec 14.5* three-wood for quite a while now and love it. Mine has a stock Fujikura "tour" shaft and produces a low, penetrating trajectory. I'll be anxious to hear all about this one.

Very nice JB...I want to see more and read more...Thats why I love THP, always something different to find out about...Thanks

Very nice JB...I want to see more and read more...Thats why I love THP, always something different to find out about...Thanks

JB?

skimmer alert! hehe

Here is an interesting little tidbit.

This club was at the THP Demo Day.
Sitting beautifully right next to all the TaylorMade drivers and FW woods.
It was never touched. Still had the plastic on it after the demo day.

That is interesting. I'm just as guilty as everyone on skimming over it, but based on my first impressions I have to say a lot of people missed out on a really nice 3 wood.

I had never heard of this company until today when I read this thread. I will be very interested to see a good review of it.

This should be pretty cool, Royal Collection. Never heard of them, but never heard of Williams until THP and about to expound on some pretty good vibes from that company soon. Can't wait to learn more Jake.

That's a pretty nice looking FW there Jake. I didn't see it there at the demo day and I could've easily bypassed it as well. It sucks that I missed it though as I would've liked to have hit it. That Fubuki shaft is so pretty. I love me some Fubuki.

That's Royal lookin dude. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Rep added for having the guts to say that cheesy line!!!!

anyway, never heard of this company, but I'm digging their stock shaft.

Rep added for having the guts to say that cheesy line!!!!

anyway, never heard of this company, but I'm digging their stock shaft.

Haha, bet Yoc gets rep for that a lot, hehe

Very interesting indeed. I my defence, I never saw it until looking at this thread. I'm assuming this is a Japanese club?

Looking forward to your review P4B!

Like the look of this, and it's a brand I'm not familiar with. Always like hearing about something new to me. I like being that guy with the 'strange' club out on the course!

I am interested to learn more about this brand. Looks pretty cool.

Isn't this a "Sonartec" club? The way I understood it, Royal Collection is Sonartec's parent company in Japan.

Isn't this a "Sonartec" club? The way I understood it, Royal Collection is Sonartec's parent company in Japan.

In many ways yes.
Sonartec closed up shop in the US a few years back. RC is trying to make headway in the US under their regular name. They share some of the same R&D, but not the exact same people.

YAY!!! I did remember something. I was just looking at their website. A shop here in town sells them, along with Epon, Miura, KZG, Infinity, Edel and Bettinardi. Way too out of my price range for most of it, but it does look intriguing. I remember Nick Price had a driving cavity model for a Sonartec driver at one point.

It looks very similar to a sonartec so I'm not surprised to see that there is a connection between the two companies. My impression of sonartec fairway woods was that they were always great solid clubs but I had a tendency to hit them very low, even at a 16 or 17 degree. I'll be interested to hear the write-up.

Back