New Release: Callaway Apex UW

Seriously considering dropping the 3 wood for a 17° UW, but not sure that makes sense.

1674960406019.png

The 'Do You Ever Not Play Driver' thread has me thinking of this. If I choose to (or just forget it again) the 17* UW is about as good a replacement club as there is on the planet. The flight and spin profile are deadly.

The 'Do You Ever Not Play Driver' thread has me thinking of this. If I choose to (or just forget it again) the 17* UW is about as good a replacement club as there is on the planet. The flight and spin profile are deadly.

I can’t say enough about my 17° UW and paired with a 21° they are a striking duo. It just wants to go straight and easy to shape, high or low. If someone is looking or an anti-left club just down from driver, this should be a contender in their bag.

You’re not helping the replace 3 wood with 17° UW ponder!

I need to try the 15 off the tee a few times. When I used these yesterday on the shorter dogleg holes it was perfect.next time I need a 3 wood I am pulling the 17 out. These are amazing.

For those currently playing the UW, do you primarily use it in the fairway/rough or as a tee option?
My gamer 3w is at 15.5 and I hit it well as a tee option if I need to keep the driver in the bag. However from the fairway it is a different story as I can’t get great strikes with it. A lot of thin or low in the face and some control issues.
Pondering whether the UW in 17 may be a good replacement.
Not too familiar with the characteristics of the stock hzrdus smoke black shaft. I have the Ping Tour 75g stiff in my 3w. Any feedback welcome. Thanks!

I have both the 17° and 21° UW and use both from tee, fairway and rough (depending on lie of course). I find them both very versatile and very easy to hit and elevate. I replaced a 15° fairway a couple of years ago as I was inconsistent off the deck. Sold it and played all last year with the UW’s.

I am going to test out the Paradym 3+ (13.5 °) in the next month to see if I can squeak out an extra 15 yards over the 17° UW. i still have an open 14th slot in my bag so a 3+ would be an addition. I don’t see anything or any reason to kick the UW’s out of the bag.

I find the 17° UW last year was just solid every round and hit it further than my old 3 wood off both fairway and tee but with better consistency and accuracy as well.

I’m just concerned I’m giving up too much by dumping the 3 wood and having my longest non-driver club be the 17° UW.
I ended up dropping my 3w when I added the 17deg UW. I don't feel that I've lost anything at all. The 3w was maybe a touch longer on really well struck shots on teed up balls, but not by enough to outweigh the utility and forgiveness and ease of use the UW brings everywhere else. The positive aspects of the UW, and the near identical length off the tee has made my old 3w just a space killer in my garage. I have no regrets and feel like I've lost nothing by binning my 3w.

For those currently playing the UW, do you primarily use it in the fairway/rough or as a tee option?
My gamer 3w is at 15.5 and I hit it well as a tee option if I need to keep the driver in the bag. However from the fairway it is a different story as I can’t get great strikes with it. A lot of thin or low in the face and some control issues.
Not too familiar with the characteristics of the stock hzrdus smoke black shaft. I have the Ping Tour 75g stiff in my 3w. Any feedback welcome. Thanks!

I have been using mine for everything.Today i used the 17 off the tee and It was perfect. My favorite shot of the day though was a par 5 into about a 15 mph wind. I left the tee shot way short then the second was hit well but not long and I had 195 into the green. With the wind I used the 17 and got myself on the green! Walked away with a par after a not so good drive!
3E61EDDD-4FDD-4736-8F8A-56B4ACC9C0C7.jpeg

I have been using mine for everything.Today i used the 17 off the tee and It was perfect. My favorite shot of the day though was a par 5 into about a 15 mph wind. I left the tee shot way short then the second was hit well but not long and I had 195 into the green. With the wind I used the 17 and got myself on the green! Walked away with a par after a not so good drive!
View attachment 9154049
Looks like serious stopping power with the 17° too!

View attachment 9154049

Lots of versatility! Looks like I will have to find some time to get over to PGA SS to find a demo club and get some swings with this. You in the standard HZRDUS smoke black or did you customize the shaft?

Lots of versatility! Looks like I will have to find some time to get over to PGA SS to find a demo club and get some swings with this. You in the standard HZRDUS smoke black or did you customize the shaft?

I have a Fujikura NX speeder shaft in both.

I bought the 21° in a demo model that was near new. I had a chance to use it approximately 5 or 6 rounds before the end of the season here in canada. I bought it with the hazardous smoke black shaft. It is an 80 g shaft and I decided to get it in the 5.5 so that it would play a little softer as the hazardous black tends to be on the stiff side.

The club was truly an amazing performer. I hit a couple of par fives into hitting it close to 215 yards in the air. This is essentially the club to replace my TSI to 7 wood. I was looking for a club in the 215 carry 220 total range to bridge my three wood and my four hybrid.

It is easy to hit easy to work yet wants to go straight if you don't try to do anything fancy.

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk

I use it everywhere. It’s the most versatile club I’ve ever used, and earns the utility in its name.

It also remains one of the most fool proof clubs I’ve ever tested, played, or put into the hands of strangers to see their minds broken.

I used the 17* off the tee 4 times this afternoon. These are shorter par 4s with narrower landing areas that i usually always use a 3 wood on. The UW was within 10 yards of where I hit the best 3 wood shots. I love these my god they are good! I am comparing these to my current 3 wood and will see how the new 3wood shakes out soon enough.
F16D7F6C-22DA-4C2A-A222-67C9051765B4.jpeg
This is one of the tee shots that you go right at the dark green trees in front of the power pole. It gets very narrow and slopes down to the right the farther you go. I put the ball right at the 150 marker right side of the FW which I would take every Time!

UW is great.

Can’t wait for the thaw..

I was able to take some swings with the UW 19* at the PGA SS. They didnt have a 17 so I didnt get to hit that one. The 19* was in an RDX smoke black stiff. Reason I want to go with the 17 is that I want a little more distance for my gapping as it would take the place of my 3w. The RDX smoke black felt stiff for me and didnt feel like I was loading it well. Callaway preowned has these for just under $200 with the hzrdus shaft. I have an old fuji atmos blue tour spec sitting around without a head. Maybe my plan will be to get the 17 at a discounted price and swap in a cut down fuji atmos.
The tinkering never ends!

Back