First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

I've contemplated going with some of the Apex Pros for the 7i and 8i.

Year End Review - Apex 21 DCB Irons:

Not gonna lie I didn't think anything from the Apex line was going to be an option for me. I thought for sure whatever new line was coming (Rogue ST Max) in the game improvement line was going to get pushed my way, so when I swung the DCB's and my fitter said - yeah these are good for you. I was as shocked as I could. I tried the Rogue ST line, but the DCB's just felt better overall.

These things were consistent for me all year and towards the end of the season my iron game was probably better than it's been in years. There was an adjustment period, but once I got comfortable the longer irons even shined for me. Not a typical thing when it comes to irons. I know I was losing a little distance - when I played the Rogue ST 4 iron it was bombing it, but I couldn't always control it the way I wanted.

None of that was an issue with the DCB's. I love the Apex line, the looks, the feel everything about them and I'm so ecstatic that I got to game these this past year. They won't be going anywhere next year (barring some sort of miracle).

Paired with the Recoil Dart shafts these things are weapons in my bag for the foreseeable future.

The std. Apex continue to impress on the course. On good strikes they feel amazing and on bad strikes the distance retention is very helpful. I think being an internet golfer got the best of me when I ordered the Apex/Pro combo set last year. The Pro's look amazing and are a great choice for a better golfer than me but the std. Apex are a better fit for my ability. This iron has it all, sound, feel, looks and tech. Not sure if we will see an Apex refresh in 2023 or not but the 21's are a masterpiece.

I finally hit the standard apex and the the apex pro from the 21 line. Preferred sound/feel of the apex 21 and saw some EXCELLENT results. If callaway tops these in the new release.... I will be a very happy man.

In the middle of an iron ponder and no good ponder is complete without Apex. I am still gaming my Apex CF16 and still love them. I think the Apex 21 would be a real fun transition but something about a combo set is not leaving me alone. Time to get some irons into screens

I was fit into a combo set at the Grandaddy. Coming from a 2019 combo set, I am really looking forward to getting these back in hand and watching my handicap go down this season ;)

I was fit into a combo set at the Grandaddy. Coming from a 2019 combo set, I am really looking forward to getting these back in hand and watching my handicap go down this season ;)
I dont see the combo set on their website anymore. A couple options on CPO but none of them fit what i need. Gonna stay on the hunt

I'm still gaming my 21s nearly two years later. I do need to get them checked out, though. A little more than two years ago, I started losing distance and losing more shots right, and it turned out the irons I was gaming had bent themselves weak and flat. I've noticed this trend again. Hopefully its as simple as needing to adjust them, because I had gotten pretty confident in this set, especially this summer. Just as the other pieces are coming together, I feel like my iron game is letting me down. I've been scoring well while feeling I'm not hitting good shots.

I'm still gaming my 21s nearly two years later. I do need to get them checked out, though. A little more than two years ago, I started losing distance and losing more shots right, and it turned out the irons I was gaming had bent themselves weak and flat. I've noticed this trend again. Hopefully its as simple as needing to adjust them, because I had gotten pretty confident in this set, especially this summer. Just as the other pieces are coming together, I feel like my iron game is letting me down. I've been scoring well while feeling I'm not hitting good shots.

Thanks for the reminder. I need to get lofts and lie angles checked again before the season starts.

I dropped my irons off to be checked and/or bent and when I laid them on the counter I noticed they had black paint fill on the hosel. They were ordered one degree up, so should they have been white, or do they not do that anymore?

I dropped my irons off to be checked and/or bent and when I laid them on the counter I noticed they had black paint fill on the hosel. They were ordered one degree up, so should they have been white, or do they not do that anymore?

They don’t do that anymore. I ordered mine 2° flat which in past years was red and they are also black.

is it common for irons to bend themselves like that? How much time went between your last adjustment and now?

is it common for irons to bend themselves like that? How much time went between your last adjustment and now?
Normal turf less likely but can. I’ve see. Irons be off from guys who hit off mats or indoors a lot

I got these nearly two years ago when they came out. My J40s did the same thing. I played those things off and on for years. I remember my 7i was two degrees weak and like a degree and a half flat. I hit a lot of balls when I want to work things out. Like Trevino says, the answers are in the dirt. Sometimes that dirt is under a mat.

I've done some testing of a Callaway Jaws Raw wedge vs my Epic Forged Gap wedge and the results for distance consistency were significantly better for the Jaws Raw... This has me thinking around replacing the AW, PW and 9i in the Epic Forged with the Apex Pro PW, 9i and 8i. This would give me a weird set of irons (but I am thinking that distance consistency might be better) at:
  • Epic Forged - 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i
  • Apex Pro - 8i, 9i, PW
  • Callaway Raw - 50*, 56*
  • PM Grind (though will probably swap for a Raw) - 60*
My local shop will probably have in a 7i which I might try and hit next time I'm up at the range. I will also discuss it with my Pro at my next lesson.

Any thoughts on here from guys/girls that have played both GI type irons and moved to Apex Pros or have mixed sets with Apex Pros?

Thanks

A

I have made it a regular routine get my lofts and lies checked every winter, doesn’t cost much and just eliminates any variability. Surprisingly they can be off a bit after 120+ rounds so would rather I know everything is aligned when I start the season.

Worse thing is thinking you’re swing is causing the ball to go left when all it was that your 2° flat was back to standard. Have had that happen multiple times.

Just a little update.

2021 Apex Pro looks to be officially sold out for the year. If you don't have an open order, and want these, better find a retailer with them in stock, as you can no longer order these on Callawaygolf.com

Just a little update.

2021 Apex Pro looks to be officially sold out for the year. If you don't have an open order, and want these, better find a retailer with them in stock, as you can no longer order these on Callawaygolf.com

That is not what I wanted to hear. I know they are at the end of their cycle but I was hoping to get fit for these and put em in the bag until their replacements are announced. Definitely throws a little wrench in my gears. Thanks for the heads up!

Just a little update.

Just a great iron and I thoroughly enjoyed my year and a half with them. Probably the cleanest hollow body iron up until their time IMO although the designers have upped their game in past few years and there are a lot of fine looking HB irons available.

Just a little update.

I’ll be fascinated to see the replacement as the 21s were well done.

Just a little update.

I was wondering if my combo set was one of the last around, as it wasn't up on the site a while ago.

Back