Cleveland Golf RTX Full-Face Wedges

I'm way overdue to give my post-honeymoon phase thoughts on this wedge. Problem is, honeymoon phase wont end!

Anyone who's played both, how do these compare to the SnakeBites?

Anyone who's played both, how do these compare to the SnakeBites?
I opened the season with the non-full face ZipCores and then switched to Snakebite for the MC. I’ve enjoyed both but have noticed some differences for my game.

On full swings/pitches the Zipcores seem to be more consistent for me. I attribute that to the lighter weight hosel and back weighting which pushes the CG higher and towards the toe which is my miss.

Yet on chips and touch shots, the Snakebites seem to perform better for me. The spin seems to be a bit higher and more consistent. Not sure if it’s how they cut the grooves or the scallop grind that allows it to sit flush and get through the turf, likely a bit of both, but I’ve really enjoyed them around the green and seen my up and down percentage increase.

I don’t think you can go wrong either way. Happy to try to expound from my experiences on anything if you’d like.

I opened the season with the non-full face ZipCores and then switched to Snakebite for the MC. I’ve enjoyed both but have noticed some differences for my game.

On full swings/pitches the Zipcores seem to be more consistent for me. I attribute that to the lighter weight hosel and back weighting which pushes the CG higher and towards the toe which is my miss.

Yet on chips and touch shots, the Snakebites seem to perform better for me. The spin seems to be a bit higher and more consistent. Not sure if it’s how they cut the grooves or the scallop grind that allows it to sit flush and get through the turf, likely a bit of both, but I’ve really enjoyed them around the green and seen my up and down percentage increase.

I don’t think you can go wrong either way. Happy to try to expound from my experiences on anything if you’d like.
Thanks. If anything my bad shot with wedges is a bit low and close to the heel.

Thanks. If anything my bad shot with wedges is a bit low and close to the heel.
I’d be curious if the lower leading edge of the Snakebites might not be the ticket for you then. Let us know if you pull the trigger on any how how they work out.

I’ve got the 60* and I didn’t think I’d like it as much as I do. I’ve been a huge PM Grind advocate for my LW, but this one so far is showing it can do what the PM does in a smaller profile. This is strictly my greenside bunker club and so far so good.

I’ve got the 60* and I didn’t think I’d like it as much as I do. I’ve been a huge PM Grind advocate for my LW, but this one so far is showing it can do what the PM does in a smaller profile. This is strictly my greenside bunker club and so far so good.
That’s a good comparison I need to do. Comparing those two

Used a friends 60 degree last round before returning to my regular 62 degree ZipCore. I think if I had one handy, it would go in the bag. I like them a lot. Great ZipCore like feel and some serious spin versatility.

Had some odd clubs laying around that I wasn't going to use laying around so I done some swapping today. Picked up a 56 in the full face RTX Zipcore. I liked the way it felt and looked. I'll be able to give full comparison in numbers after about 10 rounds vs the Cobra. I really liked my Cobra Snakebite so this has huge shoes to fill.

Another debut for me today was this RTX Zipcore Full Face: Coming from the Cobra Snakebite full face versatile grind. Grooves seem more pronounced on the Cleveland with a slightly larger face. The Snakebite is awesome and I really enjoyed it. Not sure I would have bought something different had I not gashed the face playing out of rocks. Tried something new with no regrets. The face is softer on the Cleveland. I had to adjust slightly for distance control but it was very easy to do. Playing both at 55 degrees and 62 degree lie, standard length. It is likely this club gets a 60 degree mate very soon.

1 round out with this today. Used it often. I hit some of the worse wedge shots with it I've ever hit. Looks great and feels great when stuck properly. Will keep grinding it and see if I can get along with it.

My first round with this Friday I wasn't overly impressed. Saturdays round by the end of the round I got comfortable with distance control. I am not sure its better than my Cobra Snakebite but its in the bag so I'm gonna keep working with it.

Recently put the 54 in the bag and it had been great. Chip in birdies long bunker for and full approach shots it has been great.

Decided to add the 58 and trade or the TM hi toe raw. So far so good. These are still great on full shots unlike the Taylor made.

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk

@ddec talk to me a little about this thing. I'm considering the full face for the 58 degree slot because of how I use that club most often. Still, I want to be able to use it for full swings if needed. Did you see any negatives when it came to full face vs standard?

@ddec talk to me a little about this thing. I'm considering the full face for the 58 degree slot because of how I use that club most often. Still, I want to be able to use it for full swings if needed. Did you see any negatives when it came to full face vs standard?
I know I wasn’t tagged, but I’ve always enjoyed the edge of the grooves for alignment on longer swings. That may be one item you are leaving in the table for full swings.

I know I wasn’t tagged, but I’ve always enjoyed the edge of the grooves for alignment on longer swings. That may be one item you are leaving in the table for full swings.

Oh, I'm glad you jumped in! Same for anybody with an opinion for that matter.

I do wonder about that, because I admittedly am not a fan of the look. I had a couple old Edel wedges with extended grooves and it's a visual adjustment. I just know I put a lot of balls up in that region of the face with a lob wedge and the extra spin retention is intriguing.

Oh, I'm glad you jumped in! Same for anybody with an opinion for that matter.

I do wonder about that, because I admittedly am not a fan of the look. I had a couple old Edel wedges with extended grooves and it's a visual adjustment. I just know I put a lot of balls up in that region of the face with a lob wedge and the extra spin retention is intriguing.
I kinda dig the higher toe look, but was taught to use the grooves as an alignment help.

That said, whether I open of just live towards the toe (hence why I’m a big fan of the Zipcore line), the benefits of the full face may outweigh the alignment.

I kinda dig the higher toe look, but was taught to use the grooves as an alignment help.

That said, whether I open of just live towards the toe (hence why I’m a big fan of the Zipcore line), the benefits of the full face may outweigh the alignment.

I tend to use the leading edge for alignment more than the groove/toe line, so maybe that wouldn't be much of an issue. I do think I could get over the look at address if I saw performance on the little spinners.

Two questions, how often are you full seining this one and when you’re not, how is it used?
I mentioned earlier that this replaced my PM Grind and I didn’t skip a beat. Granted it’s only a green side bunker or an around the green wedge, but seeing the ball imprint on the toe and seeing how it helped made me a believer.

Two questions, how often are you full seining this one and when you’re not, how is it used?
I mentioned earlier that this replaced my PM Grind and I didn’t skip a beat. Granted it’s only a green side bunker or an around the green wedge, but seeing the ball imprint on the toe and seeing how it helped made me a believer.

Well, first of all I'd guess the 57/58 loft is my most used club other than the putter. That tells you all you need to know about my approach shot game :beat-up: I bet it's something like 95% of my shots inside 50 yards, so I'll pitch, chip, flop, and use it in the bunker (almost exclusively). I'll take maybe 2-3 full swings with it per round at the most I'd say?

Although it’s not the RTX Full Face, I’ve gamed a full face wedge in this spot since end of 2018 and full face will always be in that spot in the bag for multiple reasons. Amazing out of the sand, great for fluffy rough around the greens or short pitch and have had no issues with full shots.

Although it’s not the RTX Full Face, I’ve gamed a full face wedge in this spot since end of 2018 and full face will always be in that spot in the bag for multiple reasons. Amazing out of the sand, great for fluffy rough around the greens or short pitch and have had no issues with full shots.

That's great to hear. Thanks @ttucliffhanger !

That's great to hear. Thanks @ttucliffhanger !
You’re welcome. I seldom use it for full swings but when I do I don’t have any issues. My 54* standard wedge is my go too for most shots inside of 100 yards, but I wouldn’t want to live without a full face 58* mainly bc of green side bunkers bc it’s like a cheat shot club every time I’m in one.

Well, first of all I'd guess the 57/58 loft is my most used club other than the putter. That tells you all you need to know about my approach shot game :beat-up: I bet it's something like 95% of my shots inside 50 yards, so I'll pitch, chip, flop, and use it in the bunker (almost exclusively). I'll take maybe 2-3 full swings with it per round at the most I'd say?
Gotcha. I’ve transitioned to using my GW from all those scenarios you mentioned except green side bunker. I trust my GW to bump and run vs trying to get cute with the 58/60

I've played quite a few full face wedges. OG PM Grind, TaylorMade Hi-Toe, and this one of Cleveland. I have had no issues with full swings, and those all ranged in loft from 58-60. I do think shaping matters, and Cleveland and the TM model had much better shaping than the OG PM Grind, Callaway has really done well with their shaping on their latest model. Full swings are fine, pitches are good, deep rough and bunkers are amazing.

Back