Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

CL - glad to see you finally figured out the delivery issues and have them in hand!!

I went out for another range session tonight and it was quite promising. I ended up making 3 "changes" for me during today's session; 2 of which I did not think about until during the session.

1) Move ball a tad back in stance to combat the "fat" shots I have been seeing and also the left pulls that I saw on the course Saturday
2) Stand a bit more upright at address
3) Keep my head still, down, and eyes on ball
4) Swing through the ball, not AT the ball

OK, so that was 4 but I kept on picking up on different things that continually improved my range session. As you can see from my list, these are VERY common things for most golfers but these are also things that even when NOT doing I was able to get away with on my previous GI irons. Simply not going to get good performance out of the Nike VR Pro Combo's without some solid basics IMO - they have definitely exposed my flaws. I started having much better consistent ball contact and saw a different ball flight that was lower and more penetrating than I am used to which is a great thing.

I am definitely still in a learning process with these irons because it seems that I rarely repeat and get the same result from one shot to the next. This is merely my swing and the adaptation, but the good thing is that the results are consistently playable even on thin & semi-fat shots.

I am very comfortable swinging everything from 5-PW but the 3 & 4 irons are still very questionable. I can hit them and hit them straight but I am just not getting the distance that I should be. Only carrying the 3 & 4 about 170-185 but judging by the yardage gaps from other clubs, I should be in the 190 - 210 range. I had not played long irons in awhile so hopefully with continued practice the contact will improve and I will see the yardage increase.

I am going to play 18 tomorrow after work and see if I can get some good feedback from the irons. I have a much better sense of how things are working when I can translate them to results on the course.

I've been away from the forum the last couple of days, but the Nike thread was my first check back!

I will be interested to see if these irons sway any of the testers on the side of Nike equipment in the future. I have played a Nike driver for several years now and have really like them. I tend to be one of the few I play with that uses anything Nike.

I've been away from the forum the last couple of days, but the Nike thread was my first check back!

I will be interested to see if these irons sway any of the testers on the side of Nike equipment in the future. I have played a Nike driver for several years now and have really like them. I tend to be one of the few I play with that uses anything Nike.

Drew......I came out of the irons in your signature.......shafts make the biggest difference.....dgs300 don't work for me anymore nor px anything......rifle in play now holding a spot until DG XP become available to public

So where does everyone host their video's? I have to upload a small video. Wanted to do more but a massive TStorm came through the range after hitting balls for about an hour. I will save my real impressions for that post but a shorter version would be holy cow. I am so glad that I went with the PX and even happier that I went 5.0. I'm not even sure if the video thanks Nike & THP in it because I had planned on filming more. So in advance if the first video I post does not thank you guys....Thank you THP & Nike. I love these clubs. And an extra thanks to JB for talking me into the PX graphite. I was leaning but you pushed me over the edge.

So where does everyone host their video's? I have to upload a small video. Wanted to do more but a massive TStorm came through the range after hitting balls for about an hour. I will save my real impressions for that post but a shorter version would be holy cow. I am so glad that I went with the PX and even happier that I went 5.0. I'm not even sure if the video thanks Nike & THP in it because I had planned on filming more. So in advance if the first video I post does not thank you guys....Thank you THP & Nike. I love these clubs. And an extra thanks to JB for talking me into the PX graphite. I was leaning but you pushed me over the edge.

Upload it to YouTube. It's easy and embeds in your post nice and easy.

Drew......I came out of the irons in your signature.......shafts make the biggest difference.....dgs300 don't work for me anymore nor px anything......rifle in play now holding a spot until DG XP become available to public

I had to replace the shaft in my PW, got a rifle. It is the first rifle that I have ever played. I like it so far. If I decide to keep the v-31's then I will probably change all shafts out to rifles.

Looking forward to hearing about these CL. The shaft and head combo is pretty intriguing. Sounds like a good start though!

mcook, I reckon you'll get the hang of these real soon. Sounds to me like you really like these irons and are determined to work out every single one. That's a good attitude that will reap rewards, so you won't be apprehensive about any iron. It's quite a move you're making and I'd expect it to take time to settle down anyway.

Looking forward to hearing about these CL. The shaft and head combo is pretty intriguing. Sounds like a good start though!

mcook, I reckon you'll get the hang of these real soon. Sounds to me like you really like these irons and are determined to work out every single one. That's a good attitude that will reap rewards, so you won't be apprehensive about any iron. It's quite a move you're making and I'd expect it to take time to settle down anyway.

Thanks Paulo - definitely quite a change in club type for me so I am not seeing the immediate success that some of the other testers are. But, I think in the end that I will become a better ball striker and therefore a better golfer and the dividends will pay off down the road.

Looking forward to seeing what you guys think - sounds like CL was already thoroughly impressed!

Very impressed I have to say. I am working on my writeup. I looked at the video and it was sad but I will post it anyway. The 3 & 4 irons were not very hard to hit at all. I won't say I was striping them but they were not all that difficult. By the end of the range session I was hitting them both pretty good. The blades were money. I wish it hadn't rained.

Rain is washing away my thoughts of an evening round :angry:

Just finished 9 holes, and had a nice range session yesterday.

A buddy of mine helped me figure out what I was doing wrong with the long irons and it really helped. I was hitting the ball very good yesterday with the 3 and 4 iron and was consistently straight, or a slight draw. In today's round, I hit 4 iron on a 197 yard par 3 and hit it to about 5 feet. This is the closest I've ever been on this hole.

I can't say enough good things about the scoring clubs. They are so accurate and so consistent that I am very confident when I have one of them in my hands.

I am teeing off on the back side now and will update after.

BOOOOM!!!!! So excited to share this... Sorry about breaking the words fantastic/gorgeous/etc..

[youtube]unf_L99YQ2w[/youtube]

Nice sticks man! Hit em straight! Cant wait to hear your thoughts.

Nice video Canadan - hope you are playing them today!!

Nice video Canadan - hope you are playing them today!!

I was going to play today, but I think I'll be spending a couple hours on the range instead. Not sure if I am going to take the Mizzies with me to compare, or whether I will spend the night getting introduced to these.. Oh decisions decisions!!

I was going to play today, but I think I'll be spending a couple hours on the range instead. Not sure if I am going to take the Mizzies with me to compare, or whether I will spend the night getting introduced to these.. Oh decisions decisions!!

I say just take the Nike, you got plenty of time to start comparing....gotta get used to them first

Awesome video! Clubs are gorgeous of course.

I say just take the Nike, you got plenty of time to start comparing....gotta get used to them first

I think that's what is going to happen.. I'm already moving the Mizzies into my Bridgestone bag to make room in the Ogio for these.. Probably will only take one bag tonight, but hopefully will get some video!

I think that's what is going to happen.. I'm already moving the Mizzies into my Bridgestone bag to make room in the Ogio for these.. Probably will only take one bag tonight, but hopefully will get some video!

Canadian,
Where do you play up there? I used to live in Mason right next to the Kroger. I played some at the course in Blue Ash, as well as in West Chester.

Canadian,
Where do you play up there? I used to live in Mason right next to the Kroger. I played some at the course in Blue Ash, as well as in West Chester.

My home course is the Oasis out in Loveland, but I get around to a couple of the courses in West Chester here and there.. I would say if I got to pick which public to play out in West Chester it would probably be Beckett Ridge.

Just got them into the bag... I was really intrigued/bothered/concerned about how I'd deal with the combo style of three different clubs.. But looking at this photo, I wonder if I'll even really notice it at all! What a great job blending the three styles into one..

IMG-20110706-00069.jpg

And a bit closer...

IMG-20110706-00065.jpg

Nice video canadan and great looking bag.

just get em dialed in for Saturday!

Back