Taylormade Tour Preferred MCs with KBS Tour 90s

SanDiegoHacker

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has tried the KBS Tour 90 Stiff shafts on the TPMCs. Is this shaft going to be too light for the club head? I currently have a 5i swing speed of 90. I wanted something lighter than the KBS Tour Stiff at 120G. Thanks in advance for your replies.

I just got my combo set today with those shafts. I can say I am very pleased with the clubs!!! They just feel right when swinging. Off to dial em in later when I am done work

Did you check out the TaylorMade TP MC thread? There are hundreds and hundreds of posts in there on these irons.

I just got my combo set today with those shafts. I can say I am very pleased with the clubs!!! They just feel right when swinging. Off to dial em in later when I am done work

Thanks. Which clubs/set form your combo?

Did you check out the TaylorMade TP MC thread? There are hundreds and hundreds of posts in there on these irons.

I did. But I couldn't find anything specifically for KBS Tour 90. Lots of KBS Tour but not the lightweight version. My appologies if I missed it. I tried to search the forum. But I am new and may have done something incorrectly.

I have hit the MC 6i w/the KBS tour 90. While my experience is very limited (the only reason I hit this was to get a better feel for the 90's, which I ended up getting in my CB2's), they had a great feel to them. I am a big fan of the 90's. My only problem is hitting a bit too high of a ball, but, I could have bigger problems.

I have the 3-5MC then rest MB. Love these irons!!

I have a combo set of MC/MB's with the DG XP R300's in them. I think they are 105g. When I initially got the set, I did notice that the shaft felt light and the heads felt much heavier than the ones that I had demo'd. I just had them hardstepped and now they feel perfect. Its kind of hard to explain the feeling. Before the hardstep, the irons actually felt like they were two separate pieces (head and shaft). The balance felt off, kind of like sticking an apple on the end of a chopstick. After the hardstep, the clubs have a much better balance to them. More of a single weight. This may be because I play a regular flex shaft. I think if you want a lighter shaft but with a stiff flex it should be fine.

I have a combo set of MC/MB's with the DG XP R300's in them. I think they are 105g. When I initially got the set, I did notice that the shaft felt light and the heads felt much heavier than the ones that I had demo'd. I just had them hardstepped and now they feel perfect. Its kind of hard to explain the feeling. Before the hardstep, the irons actually felt like they were two separate pieces (head and shaft). The balance felt off, kind of like sticking an apple on the end of a chopstick. After the hardstep, the clubs have a much better balance to them. More of a single weight. This may be because I play a regular flex shaft. I think if you want a lighter shaft but with a stiff flex it should be fine.

Thanks for the input. That was what I was wondering/afraid of is the effect of the lighter shaft on the MC clubhead. The KBS Tour 90s are 102g (I think). The KBS Tours are 120g. I currently play 110g shafts in the LT2s. I read somewhere that the KBS Shafts play/feel lighter than their stated weight due to the shaft construction. Not sure how that works though.

Now I am thinking KBS Tour regular @120g hard stepped to 5.5. What the Nippon ns 950s? Anyone trie this on the TPMCs? Experiences?

Now I am thinking KBS Tour regular @120g hard stepped to 5.5. What the Nippon ns 950s? Anyone trie this on the TPMCs? Experiences?

I was recently demo and got fitted (separate occasions) for that exact setup NIPPON 950GH Stiff w/MC's. I loved the feel. I could still feel the club head at the end of the shaft which to me isn't a bad thing. It didn't feel too awkward with a lighter shaft. However, everyone has a different opinion about what feels good to them. I know many may have already said this, but I would try to find a demo day in your area or even go to a Select Fit in your area and try the different shaft combinations.

During my fitting I hit both the Nippon and the KBS, but I had better results with the Nippon shaft.

On the TaylorMade site, there is a demo coming up on the 9th at CARLTON OAKS L.& C.C. Also, I am assuming you are still in San Diego based on your user name.
http://www.taylormadegolf.com/locator/demo-days

Thanks for the info. I think I may have to try and make that demo day. I was also pondering flighted project x. Have you tried those? Out of curiosity, what clubs were you using before the MCs?

Thanks for the info. I think I may have to try and make that demo day. I was also pondering flighted project x. Have you tried those? Out of curiosity, what clubs were you using before the MCs?

I cannot recall if he had me try the project x shafts or not, I do know I hit quite a few. As for your second question I was using a $200 set of irons I picked up from Dicks two years back, the Adams Insight XTD.

Spoiler
3890391_raw.jpg

Well, I pulled the trigger on a set of TPMCs with KBS Tour stiff shafts. I am excited to get it! Thanks to all for your comments. Now, is the Aldila Rip beta or Diamana Kaili my next R11 driver shaft? I guess that's another topic. :).

Well, I pulled the trigger on a set of TPMCs with KBS Tour stiff shafts. I am excited to get it! Thanks to all for your comments. Now, is the Aldila Rip beta or Diamana Kaili my next R11 driver shaft? I guess that's another topic. :).

Congrats on the decision ands purchase...reply back once u get settled in with some feedback

Back