Callaway UPro MX GPS

I received my uPro mx today and was able to registered it. I am looking forward to playing with it next week as I am replacing my golf guru G2 since I have broken the joystick on it. I like the Upro mx size and feel but signing on and syncing to the website seems to much harder than syncing to the gps golf guru website. I like the idea of having the courses on the unit since I was only able to have 20 courses on my older gps unit.. I will call tech support next week to see about getting the pro mode courses. However, I feel there will be more updates because this unit is not working as smoothly as it should be. Will report back next week after using it for a couple of rounds.

Can you delete one of the ProMode courses and replace it with another? If I pick 25 courses, am I restricted in terms of add/deletes?

I think you can pick only 25 courses total, and after that no replacement in your "library." From the looks of the website, you could probably remove any of the 25 from from your upro mx (to save space for coming "other features"), and they would be remembered on the website if you wanted to add them back later.

Otherwise there would be no point to buying the unlimited, if you could simply delete one when you were done, add another, and then switch back again when you wanted.

The callawayuxplore website says my uPro MX is disconnected even though the connector little icon is green in my system tray. I am running Windows 7, 64-bit. Has anyone had this problem and, if so, is there a fix/workaround?

Thanks!

I rebooted my system and it started working again. It's definitely somewhat buggy. I think, essentially, connecting it should automatically open your browser which will sign on to the Callaway page. If it doesn't do that, you're sorta hosed from what I can figure out but rebooting did get it to work again.

You know....overall, I like this device. It does exactly what I want; it helps me figure out all my yardages with real GPS numbers (and not my ego inflated numbers) and it lets me figure out what my distances are because yardage markers seem to be a endangered species in golf courses in my area for some stupid reason. However, the massive delay of the webpage release really foreshadowed the bad software issues with this device. The giving out of 25 free pro-mode courses really helped, but these are software issues I take for granted and don't really expect to run into......I mean in 1998 maybe...but 2011????

Well, I've got last year's Callaway GPS and all I can say is NEVER AGAIN. Callaway is a club manufacturer, not an electronics company - you know they outsource this thing to some other company so from now on, when I need a new GPS, I'll only look at companies that specialize in this product. Had numerous problems with syncing, poor tech support and a looooooong learning curve to use the thing.

Interesting. I have a upro & had a few issues where the unit would not turn on. Called Tech Support, they ran me through some drills & when that did not work they had me send in the unit & when they couldn't fix it they sent me another refub unit for free. I have always had great support from Callaway.

I just purchased the upro mx in an ebay auction for only $152 including shipping. I had a regular upro so when I converted my previous account it said I had 17 credits left which was enough for 5 additional courses with the regular upro. Well, then it said I was automatically converted to the 'unlimited package' for the upro mx. Great deal! I can't wait to get the unit in the mail & try it out.

My regular upro will be going on ebay soon :}

I just purchased the upro mx in an ebay auction for only $152 including shipping. I had a regular upro so when I converted my previous account it said I had 17 credits left which was enough for 5 additional courses with the regular upro. Well, then it said I was automatically converted to the 'unlimited package' for the upro mx. Great deal! I can't wait to get the unit in the mail & try it out.

My regular upro will be going on ebay soon :}

has anyone taken the unit out with the pro mode yet? Any update? It appears the soonest I will be able to will be this weekend, hopefully no issues downloading the courses

Got mine working great, they upgraded me to the full plan at no charge for holding so long. Took it out and it worked perfect very happy with it.

Got mine working great, they upgraded me to the full plan at no charge for holding so long. Took it out and it worked perfect very happy with it.

is the shot tracking option working yet? cant wait to be able to review the round online.

Also, I see to have some partial stats that are online from a few holes in a few random rounds, any idea how to delete them? cant find the answer to that anywhere

is the shot tracking option working yet? cant wait to be able to review the round online.

Also, I see to have some partial stats that are online from a few holes in a few random rounds, any idea how to delete them? cant find the answer to that anywhere

I've used it several times in promode (have downloaded 45 courses with few problems -- less than 1 minute per course. Sometimes it takes a few retries of opening Callaway website and connecting upro before they connect, but it eventually works). ProMode works as advertised, except about half of the courses on my mx are dark and lacking in contrast, so it is hard to see most features other than sandtraps and cartpaths. You can see them, but you have to look carefully, and the AnyPoint/OFN takes some getting used to. Green is sometimes hard to see, but that is outlined. On the other hand, the on-line images are excellent, so I hope this is a relatively easy fix. I've emailed this problem to tech support.

The stored shottracking doesn't seem to be working yet -- you can track shots each hole, but it is lost on the next hole. It's not clear to me if those data are saved on the upro and will eventually be accessible on the website (for averaging, etc.), or if the round-by-round recording won't start until the website is more functional (i.e., previous rounds are lost). The "data captured" on the website suggests it is storing the shots. For now, I'm just writing the info on the scorecard. To tell you the truth, it is frustrating that every single advanced feature is "coming soon." At least they promise to email us when the functions are ready.

Right now, I've stopped using the scorecard feature, but during some rounds it mysteriously appears mid-round. I cancel it, but it shows up on the website as a score of "0" for that round, which will certainly help my average -- but I'm sure we'll be able to edit those out eventually (?).

One thing I'll credit the upro mx shottracking for -- showing me my actual driving distance, which was so disheartening that it forced me to identify a swing flaw, since corrected and added 20-30 yards to my drives. Of course, I should have realized this earlier, but cold hard numbers ...

Lastly, the touchscreen is still a little balky. 2-3 time per round, I'll push the shottrack in the bottom right, and nothing will happen. I can use the anypoint, change holes, go to the main menu, but the shottrack won't "take" until I've cycled through a few other menu options. Frustrating when you're standing at the tee and the rest of your foursome wonders what the hell is taking you so long.

I've noticed the same thing, I'm sure there is a way.

Just downloaded five courses without any problems, so far very happy with the product and can't wait for the rest of the features to become active!Callaway rushed this to which cost them but to offer the twenty five downloads goes a long way in my book!

Just downloaded five courses without any problems, so far very happy with the product and can't wait for the rest of the features to become active!Callaway rushed this to which cost them but to offer the twenty five downloads goes a long way in my book!

yeah the customer service at least that I have experienced has been first class all the way

Right now, I've stopped using the scorecard feature

So have I, as the wonkiness of the touch screen just kills me on the scorecard. The buttons are too small and I think it should just be a screen with a simple Hole # at the top then a big box you hit and enter for a score, then it advances to a big box for "did you hit the fairway?", and so on. Even moving through 3 or 4 screens would be faster than going back and forth through erroneous touches.

So have I, as the wonkiness of the touch screen just kills me on the scorecard.

I agree, that's why I stopped using it. Also sometimes I would pull it out of my pocket and the score or number of putts from the previous hole had changed. I hope this can be fixed with a software push -- I like the idea of one hole per screen, instead 4 holes. And while they're at it, they could let you indicate "L" or "R" for where you missed the fairway.

I did get a reply from Callaway about my shot tracking question....as of right now, they dont have a date as to when this option will be up and running

Ordered and should be receiving by EOD Tuesday 12th. Hopefully I'll get the 25 free Pro courses too. So from what I've read, once registered, the 25 free should show up in the "subscription plan" section in the profile area?

I registered on Saturday afternoon and received 25 free pro courses to my account this morning. I called Callaway technical support to upgrade to unlimited plan but they had a recording saying to call back later, because they were overwhelmed with calls. I sent an email to inquire about updating to the unlimited plan. I have also downloaded 5 pro courses with no issues.

Upgrade Question

Upgrade Question

Has anyone downloaded some of the "free 25" and then called Callaway to apply the credit to "Unlimited" for the reduced price?

Guys, I have been reading this thread on and off for a few weeks now trying to decide whether to invest in one of these units. At first, when the site was down I was very against it, but now, with the addition of 25 free courses and a working website I'm starting to get interested.

Can I get an overall view of someone who has been using one of these units as to whether they are worth the money, or if I should look into a different GPS system (or just stick with my free Swing by Swing iPhone app)

Guys, I have been reading this thread on and off for a few weeks now trying to decide whether to invest in one of these units. At first, when the site was down I was very against it, but now, with the addition of 25 free courses and a working website I'm starting to get interested.

Can I get an overall view of someone who has been using one of these units as to whether they are worth the money, or if I should look into a different GPS system (or just stick with my free Swing by Swing iPhone app)

Get GolfShot for your iPhone. Much better value for money if you ask me. If you do get one though make sure you have it for Tuesday - hehe

I registered and installed my courses yesterday without any problems. Today will be the first day for me on the course

I played nine holes Thursday with the upro mx and basically, I like it. There are some issues that have been written about on here. I have been using a golf guru grayscale gps for the past 2 -1/2 years.
My golf guru G2 cost me $231 from eBay back in September 2008. It can hold up to 30 courses. You have to download and sync the courses from the website. Easy to use, no color and all grayscale. Buttons and joystick to use the units. My joystick broke off but I still could use most of the features.
My new Upro mx cost me $150.00 from eBay a few days ago. It comes with preloaded courses in the basic mode and go mode. Free 25 downloadable Pro mode courses. Touch screen, color and nice compact design.
After playing nine holes with it on Thursday afternoon, my battery had 45% left. I like the fact that the unit found the courses in my range and I pick the location from the menu. The basic and go modes are very features that I enjoyed. The pro mode is a nice feature, but I find the aerial images are too dark, even on the brightest settings.
The Upro mx scorecard is a nice feature but it needs more work. The guru would default the par number and number of putts would be two. It would prompt you Y or N for fairway hit and Green in regulation. My opinion is if the Upro would default the par and number of putts, it would be a little quicker. Going back and forth between the score and putts is kind of of awkward or I am use to the old way. I like the club selection and distance mark feature but I kept getting lost in the menu system. Maybe a few more rounds and I will get it figure out. Also the any point feature, I was lost there as well.
I have been unsuccessful in contacting Callaway support to upgrade to the unlimited pro mode courses after being on hold for an hour (Thursday).
I will update again after a few more rounds.

First post. not sure if in the right place for this question. If not please direct me. I have had my upro mx for a week and thinks it great. The only problem is the sleep mode. I would like for it to stay on for the whole round. For some reason the third round I used it the display never turn off, I was happy as a lark. The next day back to the sleep mode for the whole round. So I call callaway to ask how I got the sleep mode to go off. They informed me that can't happen. There is no way for the unit to stay on. Last night went to the coarse hit some button and the unit stay on the whole round. It don't know the right combo to get it to stay on but it did. Anyone had this happen and know which button to push for the unit to stay on?

Going back to my previous post on ideas on how to make input of score easier, this is what I'd much prefer in the way of user-friendliness. Yes, there would be four separate screens, but the touch areas would be bigger and more defined and you could move through them quickly. The score and putts would be the same slider and the others simply toggles.
Anyway, my $.02.

I played nine holes Thursday with the upro mx and basically, I like it. There are some issues that have been written about on here. I have been using a golf guru grayscale gps for the past 2 -1/2 years.
My golf guru G2 cost me $231 from eBay back in September 2008. It can hold up to 30 courses. You have to download and sync the courses from the website. Easy to use, no color and all grayscale. Buttons and joystick to use the units. My joystick broke off but I still could use most of the features.
My new Upro mx cost me $150.00 from eBay a few days ago. It comes with preloaded courses in the basic mode and go mode. Free 25 downloadable Pro mode courses. Touch screen, color and nice compact design.
After playing nine holes with it on Thursday afternoon, my battery had 45% left. I like the fact that the unit found the courses in my range and I pick the location from the menu. The basic and go modes are very features that I enjoyed. The pro mode is a nice feature, but I find the aerial images are too dark, even on the brightest settings.
The Upro mx scorecard is a nice feature but it needs more work. The guru would default the par number and number of putts would be two. It would prompt you Y or N for fairway hit and Green in regulation. My opinion is if the Upro would default the par and number of putts, it would be a little quicker. Going back and forth between the score and putts is kind of of awkward or I am use to the old way. I like the club selection and distance mark feature but I kept getting lost in the menu system. Maybe a few more rounds and I will get it figure out. Also the any point feature, I was lost there as well.
I have been unsuccessful in contacting Callaway support to upgrade to the unlimited pro mode courses after being on hold for an hour (Thursday).
I will update again after a few more rounds.

Im with you on the scorecard issue, could definitely use some tweaking. Excited to finally use the Pro Mode this weekend!

Back