My 4 Club Challenge!

Caper

Reaction score
Handicap
After reading a thread on a 4 club challenge this past week, I decided to try it myself today. I played the front 9 using all of my clubs and the game wasn't 100% so I decided to try 4 clubs on the back 9. My goal was to shoot somewhere between a 45 and 50. Here is my selection and how it all went down.

Driver - 280
4 iron - 210
7 iron - 175
AW - 120

Hole 10 - 472 yard par 5
Driver in fairway, 220 left. 4 iron within 15 yards of the front of the green. Chipped on with AW. 2 putt par with AW.

Hole 11 - 180 yard par 3
Smoked a 7 iron to back of green. 3 putt bogey with AW.

Hole 12 - 393 yard par 4
Driver in fairway, 145 left. Choke down, 50% 7 iron runner put within 10 feet of pin. 2 putt par with AW.

Hole 13 - 373 yard par 4
Driver in left fairway bunker. AW chunk out of sand from 100. 50% knockdown AW from 60 yards. 2 putt bogey with AW.

Hole 14 - 333 yard par 4
Driver in fairway, 95 yards left. AW hit too hard, 5 yards over green (bounced off). Chipped on with AW and 2 putted for bogey.

Hole 15 - 174 yard par 3
7 iron into the wind landed in sand in front of green. AW out of sand and 2 putt in the hole for bogey.

Hole 16 - 473 yard par 5
Driver in fairway, 225 left. 4 iron kicked left just before the green and was in the left rough, down a hill 5 feet below the green. Flopped an AW within 15 feet. Drained the putt with my AW for birdie!

Hole 17 - 135 yard par 3
AW within 4 feet of hole. 2 putted for par.

Hole 18 - 525 yard par 5
Drive in rough, 340 yards. Bombed it!!! 185 yards left, hit 75% 4 iron and put it on the green, 25 feet from pin. 2 putted for birdie!

Ended up shooting a 2 over par 38!!! I couldn't believe it! The best I have ever shot on the back on on this course in 24 previous rounds is a 39! And that is with 14 clubs. Had I used my putter and another wedge, I would have easily gone under par, possibly a 34/35. I am definitely going to try this again and play 18 holes. It really forces you to make shots, be creative, and focus!.

Last edited:
I do something similar to this, but I carry a few more clubs as I generally walk and carry a very small bag. Driver, 4 hybrid, 7, PW, SW, putter. I agree that it makes you try a few different shots, I am impressed that you left the putter out of the bag, pretty nice results it sounds like.

I might have to try this some time haha that's incredible. It forces you to shape your shots and control distance/height too. Good job 23_lw!

That's sweet, I am going to have to try it

Very impressive 9 holes. Make sure to post when you try it for 18!

i like this game.
i think i would go with:
3wood
6iron
PW
Putter

That soudns awesome. I may try that, just to see if I can improve. I like how you left the putter out and used the AW to putt with. I know I will use my 54 every now and then to putt with, and it seems to help when I use the putter the next time.

I must say it felt weird to use my AW for EVERY shot within 130 yards. One of the greenskeepers looked at me like I had a hole in my head when I didn't put it down for 4 shots. He literally stopped mowing and watched me putt with it.

Putting was the strangest thing. It really forces you to use feel and control to hit the very center of the ball. I was surprised that I only 3 putted one hole, and I putted out everything, no gimmies.

I could get away with my Driver, 7 iron, sand wedge and putter on my home course. Ideally, would add a 9 and PW to the mix, but rarely anything long after the tee shot.

After reading a thread on a 4 club challenge this past week, I decided to try it myself today. I played the front 9 using all of my clubs and the game wasn't 100% so I decided to try 4 clubs on the back 9. My goal was to shoot somewhere between a 45 and 50. Here is my selection and how it all went down.

Ended up shooting a 2 over par 38!!! I couldn't believe it! The best I have ever shot on the back on on this course in 24 previous rounds is a 39! And that is with 14 clubs. Had I used my putter and another wedge, I would have easily gone under par, possibly a 34/35. I am definitely going to try this again and play 18 holes. It really forces you to make shots, be creative, and focus!.

Awesome stuff buddy!!!

I might try this myself tonight if the course isnt crowded. I might go 3h, 6/7i, SW, putter. My course is pretty short/tight so I dont really need a driver.

Oh man, this reminds me of the challenge I wanted to partake in myself. My local muni is a very short par 31 course. I say short because the par 4s are short, but the par 3s are all 200 yards on tiny greens. I've always said I'd shoot about the same score with only my 7 iron as I do with my whole bag. I when I say only my 7 iron, i mean for putting too (small greens make putting with the blade of the iron easier). I'm going to have to try that sometime in August.

taking some inspiration from you 23_lw, I played 18 last night using only my 4h, 7i, 55* SW and my putter. I shot 40/42 for an 82! Pretty close to what I would normally shoot using all 14 of my clubs haha. My stats were actually almost identical to what I normally shoot. 8/14 fairways (not real good considering I hit my hybrid off of most tees), 5/18 greens (a bit lower than normal) and 30 putts. My GIR suffered because I was leaving myself these in between shots of 125-150.

I think when I do this again I will change a few things: First, I would have a smaller gap in my irons, probably go AW/7i or PW/6i. Next, I'd probably hit 6/7i off the tee more. Most of the holes are between 325 and 380, and a hard 6/7i off the tee would leave me with a fairly normal 6/7i into the green. Doing this definitely opened my eyes to the versatility of each club, but also showed my inability to hit certain types of shots, specifically shorter knockdown and punchy type of shots. Its clear to me now that I'd rather stomp on a shorter club than baby a longer club.

I'd recommend this to anyone thinking about it though, it was a lot of fun to try and figure out how to go about each shot.

taking some inspiration from you 23_lw, I played 18 last night using only my 4h, 7i, 55* SW and my putter. I shot 40/42 for an 82! Pretty close to what I would normally shoot using all 14 of my clubs haha. My stats were actually almost identical to what I normally shoot. 8/14 fairways (not real good considering I hit my hybrid off of most tees), 5/18 greens (a bit lower than normal) and 30 putts. My GIR suffered because I was leaving myself these in between shots of 125-150.

I think when I do this again I will change a few things: First, I would have a smaller gap in my irons, probably go AW/7i or PW/6i. Next, I'd probably hit 6/7i off the tee more. Most of the holes are between 325 and 380, and a hard 6/7i off the tee would leave me with a fairly normal 6/7i into the green. Doing this definitely opened my eyes to the versatility of each club, but also showed my inability to hit certain types of shots, specifically shorter knockdown and punchy type of shots. Its clear to me now that I'd rather stomp on a shorter club than baby a longer club.

I'd recommend this to anyone thinking about it though, it was a lot of fun to try and figure out how to go about each shot.

Glad to hear someone else attempting this! I used to think I would rather try to pump one, rather than baby one, but I realized that I am much more accurate hitting a low runner with a bit more club. Just something I learned that will help my game.
I can't wait to play 18 this way. Will not be this weekend but hopefully next week.

Back