TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons - Forum Testing Review

Seems to be quite a bit of off the toe shots going on in here. That was my big miss with these irons as well. Did you guys order these irons to your specs? I agree about a lot of what you guys are saying: you know it when you hit one out there but at least you get a decent result. The ball tended to fade a bit for me though, but that's b/c my irons were a bit too flat for my liking. Good job guys.

I have ordered mine to my specs. I've only hit one off the toe, the rest of mine are in the middle other than the few thin shots I was hitting.

Today at the PGA Superstore, I took a couple of my irons to confirm my distances. The simulator we got stuck in had a bad hitting surface. It was very hard, and didn't have that normal soft bounce to it. This made it almost impossible to hit decent shots. I did hit some though, and I'm actually about half a club longer with these over my Burner Plus irons. My PW is right at 155, which I'm happy with. It makes a larger gap between my PW and my 50 degree, but I can handle it. I should be going to the range soon this week, with hopefully a 9 hole round by the end of the week. Maybe at a longer course so I can use my irons.

Tappin' away from my DROIDX.

I had such a quick turnaround with the 2.0's this weekend being that they arrived approx 2 hours before my round on Friday and then busy with the Holiday this weekend, I hardly had time to research what I had received.

As I noted in my recent picture post, the KBS Tour shafts are not long like the stock 2.0 shaft. They are built exactly to my specs, which explains my ease of transition so far. They are the same length and only 1 degree stronger across the board than my R9's were, which actually makes me even more impressed with the bad boys. I am getting at least 8-10 yards on every club, and closer to 15 yards on my 4, 5, 6. I was under the impression the extra length was a big part of this, along with 2* more loft. As it turns out it is only a 1* difference and the same length shafts. Impressive!

Here is a link to the 2.0 specs page. For my situation, only the lofts are accurate, since I have different shafts and am 2* upright lie.

http://www.taylormadegolf.com/burner/specs.aspx

I am already thinking of selling my R9's because I like the 2.0's so much. I know it is premature, and my R9's are last years model, so they are very nice, but the 2.0's have already left a lasting impression.

Later this week I will get out and do a head to head range session between the two sets of irons. I am really interested in seeing the results of a true side by side comparison. Is it all in my head? Or are these this sweet? Probably a little of both. The long term results won't lie!

congrats on the results, 10 yards per club is awesome!

I hitup another range session yesterday and walked away TOTALLY impressed with the Burner 2.0s. I only hit 2 shots off the toe (not nearly as bad as before) and really started getting into a groove with these. I hit the SW, 8 iron, 6 iron about the same distance as my CG Golds, but the ball flight was WAY more consistent. The extra weight in the shafts does slow down my swing, which for me, leads to more consistency.

The MOST surprising part of the day came when I did a head to head SW test between the Burner 2 and my 56* 2010 Vokey Spin Series. Honestly, I was surprised we received a SW (55*) as I was only expecting up to a PW. An AW wouldve been less surprising if included, given the low loft of the PW (45*). I was stunned how well I hit the SW. I was hitting some shots off the heel, toe, and high on the face, and they all flew much closer to my aim pin. These same shots wouldve fallen well short if hit with my vokey. I was hitting shots so close to my aim pin, people were standing behind me and watching (awesome / weird feeling I had for the first time).

I've never hit a cavity back wedge, but have heard good things about the CG16. I do game a similar vokey 60* for all my around the green shots and close greenside bunker shots, and rarely use my 56 for these type shots.

I am really impressed and will be putting these in my bag (5-PW, SW) for my round this weekend. I need to do a good comparison with the 4 iron and my Mashie M3 since they are so close in loft. I was so impressed with the SW that I am considering buying an AW (50*), but need to look into how I can get it custom to fit the rest of the set.

TC, I didn't get fitted but rather ordered stock standard stiff graphite. I feel like they could be flatter when I look down at address, but my divots look good. That indicates either toe droop or I am compensating and lifting up on the way down. I have tried to address them ith the shaft at a higher angle, but my wrists just feel odd.

When I catch them in the face, they are butter. I would happily have an adjustment made including different shafts or changing the lie, but I am not sure where to start.

Any ideas?

Interesting thoughts on the 2.0 SW. I like that they sent them to you guys. Anybody used them for touch shots or out of the sand yet?

Skimmer Alert: Were seeing some great info coming in about how long these are and how "Buttery" these feel, but how about accurasy to the greens with the mid iron's? Are you guys seeing as many GIR as with your prior sets, or more?

Thanks for the info, keep 'em coming.

Great job so far guys! These clubs look great! I am a huge fan of all taylormade clubs!

Skimmer Alert: Were seeing some great info coming in about how long these are and how "Buttery" these feel, but how about accurasy to the greens with the mid iron's? Are you guys seeing as many GIR as with your prior sets, or more?

Duey... I have only played 1 round, and my GIR numbers were down a bit, but mostly due to distance issues, not accuracy. I was long on quite a few holes, but was in good positions to get up and down. (I did shoot 77! :mohawk:)On the long shots, I was right over the flagstick. I haven't even hit the range with these yet, I am going later in the week. This will allow me to dial in the distances and compare to my R9's, and then I will be able to comment more about the accuracy of the 2.0's.

OK, so I didn't get to leave the office early as expected, but these things happen from time to time. I did go straight to the range after work, and CL met me there too. I went to pull the 6-iron out, which is what I normally start my range sessions with, but grabbed the 9 instead and decided to just go with it. I started to loosen up, and after a few swings dropped a ball and said "alright, let's see what these babies can do." Hit the first ball, and was amazed at how quick it got up. Beautiful, high, straight ball flight. Hit a few more, and it was the same thing. You literally do not even feel the contact, and the ball just goes! Not only does it get up fast, but the added distance claims are legitimate. I was hitting the 9 about 140 yards consistently, which is about 15 yards further than I was hitting my 9 with the G15's. I realize that is not long for a lot of people, but that is a big jump in distance for me, and it was effortless to get it. Next I grabbed the 8-iron, and again, that same smooth feel, and high launching ball flight. Easy distance of 150 consistent yards, also 15 yards futher than previous. The 7 was next, and I got the same results. Consistently 160-165 yards, which is 15-20 yards longer, and then I got to the 6 which is where I was going to start. 175-180 yards, dead straight, and nice and high. That was a 20-25 yard distance jump, and it is not just stronger lofts. The 9, and PW are lofted the same as my old 9 and PW, the 7 and 8 are only 1* stronger, and the 4, 5, and 6 are 2* stronger. Unfortunately, I had to stop there because a lightning storm moved in, and I didn't want to risk my life out on the range, but overall first impression is that these irons are amazing! So easy to hit, they get the ball up ridiculously quick, feel good in your hands, and look great at address. I am thoroughly impressed, and can't wait for my next range session so I can hit the 4, 5, PW, and SW.

Sweet pictures and great reviews so far. Truly jealous of you guys. Hopefully someday I can try these out.

OK, so I didn't get to leave the office early as expected, but these things happen from time to time. I did go straight to the range after work, and CL met me there too. I went to pull the 6-iron out, which is what I normally start my range sessions with, but grabbed the 9 instead and decided to just go with it. I started to loosen up, and after a few swings dropped a ball and said "alright, let's see what these babies can do." Hit the first ball, and was amazed at how quick it got up. Beautiful, high, straight ball flight. Hit a few more, and it was the same thing. You literally do not even feel the contact, and the ball just goes! Not only does it get up fast, but the added distance claims are legitimate. I was hitting the 9 about 140 yards consistently, which is about 15 yards further than I was hitting my 9 with the G15's. I realize that is not long for a lot of people, but that is a big jump in distance for me, and it was effortless to get it. Next I grabbed the 8-iron, and again, that same smooth feel, and high launching ball flight. Easy distance of 150 consistent yards, also 15 yards futher than previous. The 7 was next, and I got the same results. Consistently 160-165 yards, which is 15-20 yards longer, and then I got to the 6 which is where I was going to start. 175-180 yards, dead straight, and nice and high. That was a 20-25 yard distance jump, and it is not just stronger lofts. The 9, and PW are lofted the same as my old 9 and PW, the 7 and 8 are only 1* stronger, and the 4, 5, and 6 are 2* stronger. Unfortunately, I had to stop there because a lightning storm moved in, and I didn't want to risk my life out on the range, but overall first impression is that these irons are amazing! So easy to hit, they get the ball up ridiculously quick, feel good in your hands, and look great at address. I am thoroughly impressed, and can't wait for my next range session so I can hit the 4, 5, PW, and SW.

Wow Yorkem, you are getting some great distance results! Glad you finally got your new sticks! I think you are going to love those stock shafts. They are made for distance.

The first time I played with these I was playing blind. That being said I still hit 7/18 (right around my average). I think I could easily up that number with a bit more familiarity with these.

Really nice distance increase! Sounds like that slice I saw when playing with you has disappeared as well. Can't wait to hear what you think of the 4/5. Those were just fun to hit.

I can understand your joy with some more distance, yorkem. It really boosts the confidence. Nice update, buddy.

Thanks Tomahawk and lots of great info from all. I second the jealousy issue, lol. I tried these in the shop and simply loved them.

Tap,Tap,Tap

I can agree with all the testers here. After having my 2.0 set for over a week now I'm finally getting the feel for these babies. Every iron hits 10-20 more than my previous SuperSteel irons. Last night I went to the range with my father and his jaw dropped when I was hitting my 6i around 190 consistently. My 9i was consistently hitting the 150 flag, and I wasn't swinging my hardest. It's rather bizarre because for ten years I was used to the distance of my SuperSteel irons, now everything changes. For a Par 3 I have to use a 9i or 8i. As for accuracy and the short game, I haven't had any issues. The only thing I may say is the PW is somewhat wild, but that may just be me. The largest factor for me is...if I'm hitting my irons this far...why would I ever use my driver or woods?

I was glad to read this today buddy! Nothing better than initial bliss from an iron. They just continue to get better and better too, I promise.

You guys are doing great and you're reminding me of all the things I loved about these irons.

btw, that lightning storm you got, kept me from playing last night :(

I can agree with all the testers here. After having my 2.0 set for over a week now I'm finally getting the feel for these babies. Every iron hits 10-20 more than my previous SuperSteel irons. Last night I went to the range with my father and his jaw dropped when I was hitting my 6i around 190 consistently. My 9i was consistently hitting the 150 flag, and I wasn't swinging my hardest. It's rather bizarre because for ten years I was used to the distance of my SuperSteel irons, now everything changes. For a Par 3 I have to use a 9i or 8i. As for accuracy and the short game, I haven't had any issues. The only thing I may say is the PW is somewhat wild, but that may just be me. The largest factor for me is...if I'm hitting my irons this far...why would I ever use my driver or woods?

This is awesome! I love hearing stuff like this

Fantastic stuff to hear.

Tap,Tap,Tap

One thing I forgot to mention in my review was that the grips seemed to get a bit slippery towards the end of the round. It was pretty humid out and I was sweating pretty heavily. I wonder if that may become a problem. I guess if it does, I can always switch to the VDR grips.

The only round I got in so far didn't give me a lot of opportunities to hit the irons. Like the others, my ball was heading towards the green, but would be long, or either I was misaligned. I hope to get back out there soon, but thunderstorms are in the area so I'm stuck inside for now. If they are gone by the weekend, I should be getting another round in along with some range time.

Tappin' away from my DROIDX.

One thing I forgot to mention in my review was that the grips seemed to get a bit slippery towards the end of the round. It was pretty humid out and I was sweating pretty heavily. I wonder if that may become a problem. I guess if it does, I can always switch to the VDR grips.

Or just get you a Hirzl golf glove.

There are some great write ups on here! you guys have really gotten me interested in trying these sticks out when I go get my new irons on Friday.

That is exactly why I went with the multi-compounds. I have owned a lot of TM stuff, and disliked every stock grip they have put out. :mohawk:

Back