Trying to Break 80 Club

Broke 80 with relative ease yesterday (aka it wasn't a scramble game) with a 78. Missed a handful of makable birdie putts, and was playing great off the tee, putting myself in scoring positions on the fairway on a ton of holes..

If I can get my iron game locked up, I think I'll be able to put up some ridiculous scores.. Should be fun!

I DID IT!!! Shot a 79 this morning with 9 bogies, 7 pars, and 2 birdies. Hit 7/13 fairways, 10/18 greens, and had 32 putts. I didn't tally my score, so I had no idea what I was on 18. I knew I had a great round going, but had no idea of the numbers. I hit my drive on the par 5, 525 yard, 18 left of the fairway and through the bunker. It was sitting in a hole in the fescue at the edge of the trap. The ball was about a foot below me and buried in the fescue. I had 205 left and hit a 5 iron, just hoping for contact. I hit it flush and put it 15 yards from the green. I had to go over a bunker and put it 15 feet from the hole. Stepped up and sunk the putt, back door. The 5 iron shot I hit was one of the best I ever made!
My previous best round at my course was an 83 last year. I never thought I would break 80 here.

When I added up my score, I freaked! Sooooo PUMPED!!! My last two rounds were 92 and 97!!! I thought I was going to have to go and join the "Trying to Break 90" thread. Can't wait to go again!

WHAT A GREAT DAY!!!

I DID IT!!! Shot a 79 this morning with 9 bogies, 7 pars, and 2 birdies. Hit 7/13 fairways, 10/18 greens, and had 32 putts. I didn't tally my score, so I had no idea what I was on 18. I knew I had a great round going, but had no idea of the numbers. I hit my drive on the par 5, 525 yard, 18 left of the fairway and through the bunker. It was sitting in a hole in the fescue at the edge of the trap. The ball was about a foot below me and buried in the fescue. I had 205 left and hit a 5 iron, just hoping for contact. I hit it flush and put it 15 yards from the green. I had to go over a bunker and put it 15 feet from the hole. Stepped up and sunk the putt, back door. The 5 iron shot I hit was one of the best I ever made!
My previous best round at my course was an 83 last year. I never thought I would break 80 here.

When I added up my score, I freaked! Sooooo PUMPED!!! My last two rounds were 92 and 97!!! I thought I was going to have to go and join the "Trying to Break 90" thread. Can't wait to go again!

WHAT A GREAT DAY!!!

Great news, man!

I'm happy for you and I hope the good scores keep coming.

Great job!

After shooting a 79 yesterday, I went out and broke 80 again. This is the first time I have done it back to back. I did it in a big way today shooting a 1 under par 71! Thrilled with my game right now!

It finally happened, I broke 80 for the first time today shooting 78, 41-37! Hope I can do it again soon!

After my 79 a week ago I have shot 81, 82, and 80 twice including today....only because I missed a 5 footer uphill on the last hole. Finally got my HCP to single digits! Let's keep it there! (it's currently 9.9....LOL)

Great to hear that things are starting to fall into place for a lot of people!

I'm hoping to be able to join the "70's" club sometime this year myself but right now I'm still trying to work on some consistency.

All of these stories give me something to shoot for, though!

Great thread. most of the stories are way too familiar to me. lol I have flirted with breaking 80 but haven't done so yet. My issues are just like most of the posters here, blow up holes(train wreck is probably a more accurate description at times), flip-flopping i.e. long game good-short game goes away, long game goes away, instantly short game gets better and end up around the same mid to low eighties. Then there are those days that it seems like it's my first round of golf ever... Pretty sure I'm preachin the choir here though. Last 9 I played I shot a 43 which included a string of pars a double and a TEN! Nearly went "Woody Austin" on my driver that hole. :angry: Sometimes I think I need to see a sports shrink, or have bagger vance for a caddy, something!
Course management? What's that?

glad to see so many people breaking 80. its such a great feeling!

Oh well, so much for consistency...

So today I played my third round since returning from my 2 1/2 year layoff and it was my second scoring round. Last week's 83 was encouraging but I slipped a bit this week and shot an 87.

I was steering all of my irons all day because I'm having trouble getting my left side out of the way and I'm subconsciously trying to avoid a double-cross. But we all know what happens when we try to steer things and the score shows it. I sort of expected something like this, but I expected it last week, not now. But at least I know what the problem is (not clearing my left side quickly enough) and I can work that out on the range.

On the other hand, my driver is becoming my "go to" club and even though it got off to a shaky start, it settled down very quickly and I clocked my longest drive of the year at 294 yards (according to my SkyCaddie) and overall I was bombing them, so I feel pretty good about that. I also reached a Par 5 in two and had a chip-in birdie as well and my putting is still solid, so there were some bright spots.

I've been trying to figure out why I'm having this "left side" issue and then it hit me: the last range session I had I wasn't using any type of alignment aid as I have done for all previous sessions.
I think after shooting a reasonably good score last week, I felt as if I had things figured out and that it was just a question of getting my swing speed back to normal and that would be it, so I guess I thought I didn't need to worry about alignment anymore. But this round proved that I still have alignment issues and that I was getting waaay ahead of myself.

So from now on, when I'm practicing, I'm placing a club on the ground and I'm going to be watching my alignment like a hawk so I can nip this "steering" thing in the bud before it becomes a real problem.

I feel like I'm close, but a day like today makes me realize that it's not as simple as just hitting the range a few times and everything will be fine. There's more work to be done but I think when I get it things sorted out, it's gonna be awesome! :thumb:

Shattered 80 again today with a 74!

Shattered 80 again today with a 74!

Good playing. Once you break it that's what you expect.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Great job Clay!

grinded out an 80 yesterday. 44(UGH)/36(WOOHOO). Bogey'd the last to shoot 80 on the nose. I still feel good about it because my game was certainly not on yesterday. I was hitting almost everything fat. Putter saved me a few times, also let me down a few times. 30 putts overall, 7 1-putts. Back at it again tonight, hopefully going low.

Shot an 80 (42/38)today...still cant crack it. That's 3 times in two weeks that I've shot 80. Nothing more frustrating that adding up your round, seeing you shot 80, and thinking back to that one freaking putt that lipped out or that got left short...

Frustrating, but it will come...I hope.

On the bright side, a 38 is my all time low on 9 holes (silver lining).

I FINALLY DID IT THP!! Today I went out and shot my best score ever and broke thru a barrier I had been virtually knocking on the door of for a few weeks now. I was hovering in the mid to low 80's and kept wondering when and what I needed to do to get sub 80. Well, I played the front nine better than I had ever played golf in my life. I also, took out the New VIntage SeeMore putter for the first time and it performed amazingly well. I ended up with a 36 on the front nine. I could not believe it. I had three birdies, three pars, and three bogeys. I made some incredibel putts from 15 and 18 feet and ended up with a total of 13 putts. I had five 1-putts with the new flatstick. It is a keeper for sure. That thing felt great.

Well, after playing the front, I just had to keep playing the back and yes, I did think "what if I shot a 36 on back" as any true fan of the game would have. Well, I did not play the back as well and shot a 43. The putter continued to perform well and had 2 1-putts and even a 0 putt as I putted from off the green and dropped it in the hole. Ended up with 15 putts. A total of 28 putts for the round felt really good. I made an amazing 40 footer for birdie as well. Only one bird on the back. But for me to have 4 birdies in one round is totally awesome. I shot from my regular tees today which are 6300 yards.

I really enjoyed the round and accomplished one of my goals for the year which was to break 80.

I even kept the game ball!

IMG_1869.jpg

Huge congrats SMG! Great shooting out there! First you get an ace and now you shot in the 70's! I am jealous!

TapaTalk: Killing my phone's battery since 2010.

After shooting a 79 yesterday, I went out and broke 80 again. This is the first time I have done it back to back. I did it in a big way today shooting a 1 under par 71! Thrilled with my game right now!

Congrats!

I FINALLY DID IT THP!! Today I went out and shot my best score ever and broke thru a barrier I had been virtually knocking on the door of for a few weeks now. I was hovering in the mid to low 80's and kept wondering when and what I needed to do to get sub 80. Well, I played the front nine better than I had ever played golf in my life. I also, took out the New VIntage SeeMore putter for the first time and it performed amazingly well. I ended up with a 36 on the front nine. I could not believe it. I had three birdies, three pars, and three bogeys. I made some incredibel putts from 15 and 18 feet and ended up with a total of 13 putts. I had five 1-putts with the new flatstick. It is a keeper for sure. That thing felt great.

Well, after playing the front, I just had to keep playing the back and yes, I did think "what if I shot a 36 on back" as any true fan of the game would have. Well, I did not play the back as well and shot a 43. The putter continued to perform well and had 2 1-putts and even a 0 putt as I putted from off the green and dropped it in the hole. Ended up with 15 putts. A total of 28 putts for the round felt really good. I made an amazing 40 footer for birdie as well. Only one bird on the back. But for me to have 4 birdies in one round is totally awesome. I shot from my regular tees today which are 6300 yards.

I really enjoyed the round and accomplished one of my goals for the year which was to break 80.

I even kept the game ball!

IMG_1869.jpg

Congrats!

Outstanding 23!!

Thanks SethO! I can at least say I have shot in the 70's. I just hope no one asks how many times. hehe

That's fantastic SeeMoreGuy and well done, including a little drama to go with it (the 40-footer)!

You must be walking on air.

Great job!

I figured your 79 would be in here too, SMG! Way to go!

Congrats SMG, way to go man!

Tap,Tap,Tap

It's been an interesting year of golf for me. I had shoulder surgery in December and wasn't cleared for activity until around April so that cut down on getting an early jump on the season. I ended last year playing fairly decent, but was always in some pain(thus the surgery) which hampered my scoring. I was averaging about an 82 each round. Get back out on the course this year expecting it to take a while to get back into the swing of things and I was definitely right. My first outing was only 9 holes at a very tight track here in Memphis, so my irons were going to get the bulk of the work, which I didn't figure to be a huge deal. I underestimated the mental side of having an operation, and the thought of digging into the ground with an iron on my new shoulder worked me over. I don't think I've ever bladed that many irons; but surprisingly my touch from 100yds in seemed light years better. Shot 45. I waited a little while longer before I got back out hoping I could strengthen a little more and get rid of the mental lag I had. It seemed to do the trick as my next two rounds were 78 and 79 at two different local courses; and followed with two more 78's and a 77. I was on a roll and feeling pretty good about my game, especially knowing that I had a Father/Son tournament coming up and my dad and I were the reigning champs and would be putting our title on the line.

Then came the funk that I'm currently muddling around in. I played Wyndyke Country Club's East Course here in Memphis. I've heard it's normally a decently tough course, but I played it two days after they had the Fed Ex St. Jude qualifier there so they had it under tournament conditions. Normally something like that tends to pump me up and I actually play better. I've played a slight draw my whole life and stepped up on number one(the tee shot required a fade) with a hybrid figuring it's the first hole, a par 5 and the fairway(even if shorter) is never a bad place. Line up with the tree line on the right side of the fairway playing my draw, and swung away. The ultimate double cross got me as I faded it right into the middle of the trees. I spent that whole day trying to figure out what was going on, and continued to try to play my draw while working on it and landed smack in the middle of the trees every time. By the end of the round I had given up and submitted to the fade, and carded an 86. Since then, every time I get over the ball I have no clue what is going to happen as I've started to get my draw back; but the fade appears out of no where every couple shots. My last three rounds I've carded 85, 82, 83 as a result.

Needless to say we not only failed at defending our title, but went from first to worst in the process.

Back